Chapter 01

Creature of the Dark
Please log in to read the full chapter

The once quiet night is now filled with series sounds of distress.

 

 

I sigh for the umpteenth time at myself with a groan followed not long after.

 

I don’t know why did I even think about doing this stupid thing just because today is the full moon. I mean, sure it was quite rare here in the small town to have a full moon this clear, but now, walking in the quite night; midnight coming in an hour or so, with my camera slinging on from my neck and a tripod bag on my back, I am starting to questions whether this whole journey is worth it.

For crying out loud I even sneak out from my parents for this, not thinking about the consequences of rage that awaits me. Oh don’t forget that there aren’t much people at this hour too, so if I were to be then killed, people probably wont notice and then I’ll be nothing but a name.

 

 “Don’t worry, it will all be worth it. You’ll do this so you can win the damned competition and finally get the recognition you deserve. And then people here will stop mocking what you do and treat you right.” I mumbled to myself as I struggle to adjust the strap of my tripod bag. My destination is not that far left, I kept on repeating the words on to my head to motivate me, because in all honesty, I felt like I just want to turn my steps to my cozy home, and just to lay in bed to sleep like the dead. But no, I’ve got to do this.

 

Where am I going? Well it’s to an abandoned dock a block from my house. It’s not near, but it’s also not that far away to reach on foot. The end of the dock is my end destination. I aim to capture the perfect shot of the full moon on the sky, along with the clear reflection the calm seawater provides. Smiling merely by the image of that, I straightened myself and started to gain speed to my destination, ignoring the fatigue I have since I can sleep it out later.

 

 

“Finally!” I screamed knowingly to no one besides the calm sea in front of me. I put the tripod bag down just beside me as I stand at the end of the dock and stretch myself from the tiring walk. I wipe the beads of sweat that has formed during the hard labor and just finally turning my eyes to look at the enchantingly beautiful view in front of me. I halted my movement as I absorbed the view in front of me, fatigue all gone.

 

It was all just as what I imagined it to be. The perfectly clear full moon that stands in all its glory, reflected by the calm sea, along with some of the town lights that is basically no match compared to the moon. The abandoned dock is what I chose because the lighting is so dim here, so it allows me to take all the glory from the moon and stars.

 

Smiling brightly I hurriedly took out my tripod and began adjusting it. Not long after I begin my preparation, I squeal as cold wind breeze abruptly blow through me. It was quite strong that it pushes me a step backwards. But it was gone as fast as it came. Turning my head to the source, I didn’t see nothing but the calm sea and the beautiful moon still lingering.

 

“Is there going to be a storm?” I tilted my head in confusion. But the sea has been calmer than anything else. Shrugging it off, I continue to adjust my tripod to the right spot and adjust my precious camera on top of it.

 

“Well if a storm is coming, might as well make it quick. You got this, Song Haerin.” I quickened my movement and when I’m finally done with the adjustment, I positioned myself behind the camera. I made a quick test on the camera by taking quick photos of the moon only, just to see how it turns out. A few snaps and adjustment later, I am finally ready to take the enchantingly beautiful moon. I excitedly, but carefully press the shutter and wait while the pictures are being loaded to the preview screen.

 

The pictures are just like what I expected. The beautiful moon that lingers in the sky were taken along with the beautiful milky-way sky glittered with stars, and the sea that reflected as a mirror, added another flawless beauty to the photo.

 

“Yes!” I shouted excitedly while jumping on my feet. I hurriedly took another photos, along while trying different focus and different settings the camera provided. Another snap, another one, and another one until the once quiet night in the dock is filled with the sound of my camera’s shutter.

 

I’m so excited with the result of the photos that I didn’t stop. I didn’t stop until I noticed at the last photos that the moon is no longer clear. Clouds were covering parts of it, resulting an eerie feeling of a moon that is usually used for a horror movies. Checking the photos before, I sigh in relief when I found out that most of the photos are still showing a very clear moon. I fish out my phone from my pocket, only to widen my eyes at the time.

 

“2 AM??? How could it possibly be 2 AM? So I’ve just spent 3 hours standing in this quiet dock alone?” realization hits me and soon I

Please log in to read the full chapter