12. when he keeps our secret

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

set after prequel

Sitting at the empty bench of the bus stop, I notice that autumn's finally here. It's still too early to see the signature fall signs of orange leaves but the weather begs to disagree.

The chilly autumn wind keeps my hand cold. My sight trails down to my clothes, of my trenchcoat over my white turtleneck. Even though my jeans and high-tops are enough to protect me from the weather, the cold creeps in no matter what I do. If I start wearing thicker jackets, people will look at me odd. College is fun and all, but people criticize you if you don't wear something appropriate. It's like everyday's a runway. I'm serious. The saying, 'you are what you wear,' rings true for them.

Someone sits beside me. "Hey."

An automatic smile comes through my features. "Hey."

"Are you going home?" the baritone yet husky timbre of Junhoe resounds in my ears.

Letting out a little laugh, I remember him messaging me, asking my whereabouts. Now he's here pretending he doesn't know. I go with the flow anyway. "Yep."

Junhoe looks down on his wristwatch. "I'm on my way home too. Wanna go together?"

"I mean, I don't own the bus so..."

One side of his lips curl in a grin. When he turns to me, his face relaxes into interest, focusing his sight at the top of my head. "Don't move."

"Wha—"

Junhoe flicks something on my hair, his finger gentle, like he's afraid his touch will break me. Oh? He smells different today. Is this a new perfume?

Now that we're close like this, I can see he combed his hair. The difference is obvious because he always had this bed-hair style tamed with his fingers. His clothes changed too. He's wearing a black and yellow striped tee over his denim jacket with ripped jeans and sneakers. On normal days, he'd wear something that looked like he chose last-minute, wrinkled and all, maybe even mistaken as clean when it's dirty laundry. I don't mean to judge. I mean, the change is that noticeable. He's usually the shirts and jeans kind of guy.

Junhoe leans back, the tiny movement creating a whish of air past me. "There. You're good."

"H – Huh?" I ask while combing through the spot he touched. "Uh, thanks."

"Junhoe!"

We turn to where the voice is coming from. Like automatic, I scoot away from Junhoe, something not left unnoticed as he glances at me.

"Someone's jogging towards us," I say.

"Oh."

We agreed that we'll keep the dating thing a secret until we're ready. It's a proposition done by me because well... I feel shy about it. It's normal, right? To keep this from the others, I mean. It's like having chocolates without telling my friends I have one. Some things are best not shared with others, okay?

As the tall figure grows closer, I wrack my brain to think where I saw him before. Oh! I remember him... He's Junhoe's friend, the one I met at that group date, the prince-like aura? What's his name again? Uhm... Yun... something... Yunhyeong sunbaenim!

"Hyung," Junhoe greets the moment Yunhyeong arrives in front of us.

I bow and say my greetings. "Good afternoon, sunbaenim."

The newcomer takes his seat beside Junhoe, taking his backpack away from his shoulder and putting it on his lap. "Fancy seeing you here, Chaeyoung-sshi. You know—" Yunhyeong moves forward so he can see me behind Junhoe who's trying to cover him. "—our Junhoe here is disappearing a lot lately. It's even a surprise that I catch him here!" He claps once, his eyes mirroring jubilance. "Do you know you're all Junhoe talks about with the boys? It's funny. He's—mmpph!"

"Stop saying nonsense," Junhoe says through gritted teeth while he covers his mouth.

I want to laugh at their antics. They seem close enough for Junhoe to be comfortable but I'm worried too. "Hey, he's your senior..."

His friend taps Junhoe's hand and Junhoe lets go when he narrows his eyes.

"Are you crazy? I'll tell you on the other guys, seriously. Or better yet, I'll tattle on Chaeyoung-sshi on all the things you told us about her. That's better. Hey—" Yunhyeong leans towards me. "—do you know that—"

"Hyung!"

He doesn't continue and laugh instead. "Am I crazy? Why would I do that?" Yunhyeong smiles at me. "Why are you two here anyways?"

Junhoe and I exchange looks. It's like his friend's question renders me frozen and I can't force myself to speak. Before Yunhyeong notices something suspicious, Junhoe replies for us. "We met coincidentally here."

"Oh..." He nods like he understands but his eyes are telling a different thing. He's unconvinced, I can tell. I tuck some loose hair behind my ears and using the back of my hand, I wipe sweat on my forehead. Sweating? Why am I like this now?

"Are you going home?" Junhoe asks to his friend.

Huh?

"Yeah. Why?"

"Let's take the bus together."

Yunhyeong looks at me then to Junhoe. "You sure? I mean, you look like you're taking Chaeyoung-sshi home..."

I gulp... Is it that obvious?

Junhoe shakes his head. "She's waiting for a friend."

I take that as my cue. "Ehrm... y – yeah..."

The bus arrives before Yunhyeong can say anything more. "There's our bus." Sunbaenim slings his bag and stands up, giving me a smile after. "It's nice to meet you, Chaeyoung-sshi. Take care on your way home."

I tip my head down. "Take care too, sunbaenim."

Junhoe pats my knee when Yunhyeong passes by so he doesn't see. He then gives me this half-smile before going after his friend. Their figures get smaller as they walk inside the bus, choosing a seat with Junhoe by the window. As if sensing my presence, he returns my gaze, gives a quick wink as the bus starts moving away.

Him winking will be the death of me. Gosh, Junhoe is such a player.

🌺🌸🌺

Every lunch break is spent with my unnies in the cafeteria when we're too lazy to go out. Today is no exception. We all belong to the same department, just on different year levels so I'm thankful our schedules overlap for this one.

Our time together is mostly spent on gossips. Jennie is like Naver. Whatever we ask her, she has an answer to it. It's amazing. She knows a lot about the people in the university, even the internal affairs in the offices. Jisoo, on the other hand, is like sponge, absorbing every information Jennie feeds us. Sometimes, she adds information of her own. Before I met them, I was an innocent freshman. Now, I can't look at some people in the eyes, knowing what they do behind the scenes. It's cruel and nasty, but this is their world. Today's topic is quite surprising though.

"This is what I heard from a girlfriend of a friend of a friend. Junhoe... yes, that same Junhoe Chaeyoung knows... is caught holding hands with a different girl on the streets last week." Jisoo gasps at that. "Word is, it's not his ex-girlfriend. Plus—" Jennie raises an index finger. "—get this. He's dating the said girl! I mean, how absurd is that? First, we see him with his ex, now he's busy canoodling another girl?"

My fingers curl to form a fist, lips pressed in the middle, to deflect a surprise cough. Goodness...

Shaking her head, Jennie pats my back. "It's a good thing you stayed away from him. If you didn't, you'd be caught in a snare of a cheating jerk..."

"Do you know the girl?" Jisoo asks, speech quite slurred, as she chews a spoonful of mixed rice.

My posture grows slumped, eyes peering down while eating radishes on my tray. I know Jennie doesn't know yet. If she did, she would bombard me with questions already. Still, a nagging feeling tells me that danger's lurking at a corner, ready to prowl at one wrong move.

Jennie shakes her head, shrugging while flicking her long locks away from one shoulder. "No one knows, although my source says she's quite a tall freshman..."

Startled, my mouth starts acting up and rice gets stuck on my esophagus, sending me into coughing spells. I pound a fist against my chest to make myself feel better. Gosh, this hurts.

Cooing, Jennie opens my water bottle for me. "Don't feel bad. At least you dodged a bullet."

'I didn't,' I'm this close to say that.

The two goes on a different topic, something concerning our seniors, while I drink water. I don't take part in it since it doesn't interest me much. I'd always be when they start gossiping. Eating my meal is a much better option. I don't think I'm in the condition to speak too, given the information they know about Junhoe...

In the middle of me savoring the bean paste soup, my phone rings with a message, Junhoe's name on top of it. It's beside my tray, exposed for anyone who can see so I glance at my unnies. They're too busy talking though. With a relieved sigh, I press a thumb over the message and enter my passcode.

Junhoe: Want to meet at the student union after lunch?

Securing my phone between my hands, I type in a reply, hiding a smile from breaking out.

Chaeyoung: I'll not come if you don't bring snacks.

Junhoe: Acting coy, aren't you?

I giggle. Wanting to act like I'm serious even if he doesn't see, I purse my lips and look down on my phone.

Chaeyoung: I'm serious. No snacks, no me.

The three little dots are taking longer than expected. I tap my index fingers on the sides of my handphone, awaiting his reply. What's taking him long? Oh? The three dots disappeared. Why did he delete it? Wait. He's typing again.

Junhoe: I don't know why but you eating a lot is attractive to me

I dig my teeth against my bottom lip, preventing myself fron squealing out loud. Ah, Goo Junhoe... why are you like this?

Across the table, someone's gaze burns at the top of my head. I look up and meet with Jisoo's piercing stare. Startled, I keep the phone behind me, exclaiming, "I – It's nothing!"

If possible, Jisoo's brow would've rose up until her hairline. "We're not asking anything."

"So..." Jennie slurps some soup from her kimchi stew, eyes peering at me with amused interest. "Who's the guy?"

"W – W – What guy?"

"Come on, it's written all over your face." Jennie points at my phone while holding her spoon. "It is a guy. I'm sure of it."

I laugh nervously. "It's not a guy... Something's funny... yeah... that's it..."

"You're giggling. And—" Jennie raises her index finger before I can protest. "—it's the kind of giggle you do when someone's being sweet. Either you're watching kittens or it's a guy."

Pocketing my phone, I say, "I'm so totally watching kittens."

Jisoo tilts her head to one side. "If you're watching kittens, why are you typing then?"

Oh.

"Comment... board...?"

Both of them exchange looks and it's one I can't decipher. Uh-oh. This looks bad.

They set down their utensils. Jennie folds her arms and sets them on the table while looking at me. Jisoo, on the other hand, clasps her hands together, placing her chin on top of it.

"Spill. If you don't, you know what'll happen..." Jennie trails off, sending me a knowing smile.

"Park Chaeyoung," Jisoo calls, pronouncing each syllable with hard intonations. She points at me like a criminal. "Spill or die!"

I shrink down on my seat. I'm scared.

Jennie sighs, one that is of frustration. "I can't believe you. We're friends. Friends don't keep secrets from each other."

"U – Uhm..."

To make matters worse, I see Junhoe strolling to our table. What is he doing here? It's bad timing for him to be seen by the unnies. If they do, I don't know if I can hide our secret anymore. I shake my head, causing his steps to falter. He looks at our table and as if sensing the situation, he turns around to leave. It's a natural reaction when I sigh in relief but it alerts my friends. Jennie can't see him since he's hidden by a pillar, thank goodness for that. It's Jisoo that's troublesome though because she turns around to see where I'm looking, enough to see a glimpse of his back. She faces me again. "Who's that?"

"No one. It's no one."

"Wait, is it Jaehyun? Oh my gosh..." Jennie clasps a hand over .

"No! Uhm..." My phone vibrates against my thigh, distracting me. Throwing a cautious look at my friends, I take it out under the table.

Junhoe: Will wait for you at the student union

I scoop the remaining rice on my tray. One after another spoonful comes in my mouth, shoving some meat and beansprout in too.

"Hey, we're talking to you!" Jisoo urges.

"Can't. Mouth's full," I reply, although with the food, it sounds more like, 'Can't. Mtfhttful.'

Not wasting another second, I clasp my hands around the warm bowl of beansprout soup, slurping it until the last drop. After finishing everything, I put it down and notice the amazement in my friends' eyes. It feels like a rock going down my esophagus when I gulp everything down. It hurts, to be honest, but in order to keep a secret...

Jennie hovers her hand behind me. "Are you... okay?"

While drinking everything on the water bottle, I hook my shoulder bag and stand up. Then, I place the bottle down on the tray, taking said tray after. "Sorry; have to go. See you, unnie!"

"Hey!"
"Chaeyoung!"

Before I can hear their complaints more, I put the tray to its proper disposal and power stride out of the doors. The student union is in another building but it's only a two-minute walk. When I arrive in front it, I look behind to see if they followed me. They didn't. Of course; why would they do that? If there's anything that keeps them from doing their 'gossip work', it's eating.

I clasp my hand around the cold metal handle of the glass door and enter. After passing by the hallway full of posters from clubs and organizations, the surroundings widen, introducing the student union. The room has pastry white walls with accents of the school color, blue and red, evident on the couches, plus some plastic potted plants at the corners. The blue carpeted floor dull the echo my steps make as I walk ahead, searching for a certain man.

Few students are here, lounging around the modern but comfy couches strewn around the area or standing around, talking with their peers. The coffee tables are decorated with magazines and books, some taken out of the bookshelves in the middle of everything.

I spot Junhoe leaning on a wall, deep in thought. He's holding two bottles of yoghurt. When he sees me, the expression on his face changes when he tries to smile. He pushes himself from the wall to meet me half-way.

Junhoe shakes the items on his right hand and holds it to me. "Snacks."

I accept the items. "Uhm... thanks."

He gives me a tight-lipped smile. When he punctures through his yoghurt, Junhoe pockets his empty hand and sips some of the beverage. "Why did you send me away earlier?"

A sigh escapes from me. "They're starting to get suspicious."

"Of us?"

"I don't think so..." Giggling, I say, "Jennie unnie even thought you were Jaehyun."

A frown is evident on his lips while taking a sip from his yoghurt. "I'm way handsome than him."

Squinting my eyes while looking up, I remark, "Well..."

Junhoe's thick eyebrows almost mesh up in one at the way he looks at me. He keeps the bottle down beside his thigh. "Hey. Are you kidding me?" 

"You should know by now that I don't lie—" A quick glance at him tells me he's more unamused by the second. I throw in a thumbs up, all the while giggling. "You're the best! Is that enough?"

He rolls his eyes at me. The nerve of this guy. "Aren't you just cute?"

When the laughter fades away, silence looms over us. Junhoe glances at me, wary eyes glazing over my warm ones. "You know we'll have to tell them one day, right?"

"I do." I let a small smile crinkle my cheeks. "Until that happens, let's make our days eventful, okay?"

The corners of his lips curl into a grin. "Well, we're just getting started."

🌺🌸🌺

My friends stop their interrogations—for now—sensing I don't want to talk about it. That's what I like about them. They respect my decisions, no matter how tempted they are to know. I don't know if they can maintain it though. Sooner or later, they'll interrogate me again, this time without excuses.

Junhoe's accompanying me to print my term paper outside the university. The line's too long inside and I don't want to wait anymore, afraid rush hour's going to get me. We have different schedules today, with it my out already and him on his vacant. After everything, he wants to accompany me on the bus until my stop, sending us into an argument. I don't want that because it's a waste of money. He says he can do whatever he wants with his three-hour vacant. Dauntless, right? Even with my irresistible points, I lost that argument anyway.

The printing shop's two blocks away from the school so we walk to cover the distance. As we take the crowded sidewalk, people keep brushing past us, bumping our shoulders. We stick close and with every step, our hands brush against each other. It sends a weird, fluttering tingle through my body. Is he feeling the same thing as me?

I start complaining about a professor in my childcare class. She doesn't attend much of the days we have her but when she does, she gives us surprise quizzes, every single time, like she's teaching us something in the first place. It's something I thought of at the top of my head to distract me. If I don't, I'll follow through my temptation of holding Junhoe's hand. Given my track record of touching his abs, I don't think I can hold on longer. On top of that, he glances at me from time to time as he listens to me rant, his captivating eyes sending shivers on my spine. It's hard to focus with things like this. Why does he look like he's not bothered at all?

"Tell me if this is uncomfortable for you," he says suddenly.

It catches me off-guard, prompting me to stop my rant. I don't understand what he's talking about so I don't know what to expect. Then a second later, he takes my hand, weaving his thick and long fingers through the gaps of mine. Our palms are pressed loose against each other, but close enough to feel the warmth he gives off.

"Is this okay with you?"

Unable to speak, I nod. He has rough hands but makes up for it with the gentleness in his hold. This... We never held hands like this before. Even when he led me to the cold noodles restaurant, it's different, with him holding onto my palm.

I look fine but trust me, it's chaos inside. It's like earthquake with magnitude 8.0 here. Be still, my heart. Be still!

This is nothing. We're not in high school anymore. I can handle this. Psh. No big deal. I'm an adult person. Adult people think this is normal.

Who am I kidding? This is the first time a guy held me like this. I did when I was young but never for a different reason! When I was in sixth grade, we had a dance recital—a ballroom presentation—and I was partnered up with Minghao (I remember him because of his sweaty palms). Come eighth grade and I entered a phase when I challenged my boy classmates in arm wrestling, challenges which I failed, miserably. In my defense, I discovered an arm workout (my friends all did it) so I thought that after 3 sessions, I had the strength of a boy.

With Junhoe though, it's something new and usually when it's new, it gives me feelings I never thought I'd feel before. It's like a surge of happiness coursed through my veins but at the same time, I can't explain it in words. All I know is, I feel good, calm even.

"What were you saying again?"

My shoulders grow stiff. "A – As I was saying, Mrs. Hong is really mean. I mean, who does that? It's complete injustice on our part and uh... she's real mean. Her tests don't make sense... I don't..."

"Hmm?"

I get more flustered. Oh my gosh. Why are my hands sweating? Stop embarrassing me, body. This is so not the time!

"Never mind. I'm not that mad anymore."

Junhoe shows me a half-grin, that one where a corner of his lips quirk, but not in an arrogant way. Oh my gosh. I'm dying over here. How can a simple grin look so hot on him?

After turning around a block, we arrive in front of the shop. He pushes open the glass door with his other arm, causing a melodious chime of bells overhead. It's a small store with a bench in front of three printers behind the counter, laminated price lists posted at the wall on top of the bench. Few students, three to four at least, crowd the counters, either directing the staff what to print in the computer screen or arranging stacks of printed papers. The bench is occupied but there is enough space for us to sit. Before we can sit though, someone calls for Junhoe.

"Junhoe, is that you?"

It must be reflex taking over me but I retrieve my hand away from him. He looks at the loss of warmth on his hand, then to my face. An indescribable emotion is hidden in his eyes. Junhoe opens his mouth to say something but stops when someone goes near us, someone meaning a she.

"It really is you!"

I'm taller than her, I notice, but with the wedge sandals she's wearing, she's almost the same height. Her long brown locks are styled into voluminous curls, flowing at the sides of her chest. She's wearing a white off-shoulder with spaghetti straps and long sleeves, pairing it with a garnet miniskirt that exposes her slim waist and milky, unblemished legs. She has monolid eyes but round and wide enough to give off a demure look. Not only that, but she has a tiny nose bridge and lips. Except for her drawn straight brows, pinkish cheeks, and ombre red lips, she isn't wearing much make-up, unless of course the way she applied her foundation gives off that appearance.

Junhoe does a quick bow.  "Hello."

I don't do the same, assessing the way wonder fills her bright eyes. She giggles. "Don't you know me? I'm Kim Jiho! The one your friends set-up with a blind date, remember?"

Oh.

He gives me a fleeting glance before responding with, "I do. I just don't remember your name. Sorry."

The woman named Jiho directs her attention to me and I don't miss the vigor in her eyes dim a bit. She bows, prompting me to do the same. "Hello, I'm Kim Jiho."

"I'm Park Chaeyoung."

"Are you Junhoe-sshi's girlfriend?"

Looking sideways at Junhoe, I reply, "Uhm... no."

"She's just a friend," the man beside me chimes in.

That stings more than it should.

"Oh..." Jiho trails off and she perks up again. "Mind if I borrow him for a bit? I have troubles arranging the papers I printed and my partner's nowhere to be found." She looks around. "I don't want to hold up the line by staying at the counter too long."

Junhoe and I exchange glances. I don't know what he wants to tell me by the look he's giving so I disregard it by shaking my head, offering the woman in front of us a timid smile. "Sure. If that's okay with him, that is."

I'm hoping he doesn't want to, even come up with an excuse to avoid it, but he doesn't. He gives a curt nod, follows after Jiho who exclaims, "Thank you!", without even a word exchanged to me.

I take a seat at the bench after getting a line number. My thumb runs through the flimsy laminated package of the card, edges already folded and worn down from too much use. 36, it says. From the television screen hanging on the wall opposite my location, they're serving number 28. Seven more to go, I guess.

My sight locks down on two figures, backs turned to me. I don't miss the close distance they have with each other, of Jiho giving him a smile, to her casual nudges on Junhoe's arm. This girl is acting coy. The worst part? Junhoe's smiling too! What is he so happy about?

Something burns at my chest. It's similar when I saw him with his ex-girlfriend, at the same time, different, like I want to shove her away because really, she nudged Junhoe for five times already (I counted) and it's irritating me. This is like sitting through an hour of gore movies and I have to keep my eyes open. If I don't, someone's going to kill me.

Leaning my back on the wall, I cross my arms and hold back a loud grunt (I'm tempted just so that Junhoe's aware). Keeping our secret is annoying.

🌺🌸🌺

I'm en route to the Science Building for my next class when someone calls my name. Stopping to look behind, I see Yunhyeong with Hanbin on the sidewalk, jogging towards me. I bow in respect for the two seniors.

"Good morning."

Glancing at Hanbin, Yunhyeong sends a pleasant smile. "Polite. I like this girl already."

"Uhm... What is it, sunbaenim?"

He shakes his head. "Nothing. Where are you going?"

Throwing a thumb over my shoulder, I say, "I'm on my way to the Science Building."

Hanbin's eyes light up. "Can we go with you? I mean, we're going there too."

"Uhm, sure..."

We start walking together. They're at my right side, Yunhyeong being the closest with Hanbin beside him. They have the same height but Junhoe's taller. Even then, their bodies help block the warm morning rays.

"Chaeyoung-sshi, how's Junhoe?" Yunhyeong asks.

Hanbin sends him a warning look along with a secret nudge on his side. He waves his hand, almost pushing Hanbin off the bricked pathway to the grassy fields.

"Should've brought Donghyuk. He's better..." Hanbin mutters under his breath.

They're acting strange. Why are they asking about Junhoe when he spends more time with them? Disregarding it, I reply, "Fine, I guess?"

Yunhyeong gives an ambiguous nod. "Do you know Kim Jiho?"

Dread renders my body cold. I have a bad feeling about this. "Yes."

Surprise filters through their eyes. Exchanging looks, Hanbin responds with, "Really?"

Their wonder feels more genuine than an act they're putting up with me. Where is this going?

"Anyways," Yunhyeong starts with a shrug. "Our seniors—you know Mino sunbaenim and their group? They're our friends too—arranged a blind date with Jiho and Junhoe months ago. Junhoe wasn't really interested then because you know, he was heartbroken and all but he still went because really, who disobeys the seniors? Especially Seunghoon hyung, that one. He's scary when he wants to, I tell you—"

"Hyung," Hanbin interrupts through gritted teeth. "Kinda losing us here."

Yunhyeong perks up. "Oh right right. Sorry. So as I was saying, they met once. Months later, we heard Jiho asking the seniors if Junhoe's seeing anyone. They told Junhoe about this to ask him himself and do you know what he told them?" He laughs, almost close to squealing. "He isn't!" Waving a hand and the other covering his mouth, he composes himself. "Sorry but this... this situation is just funny to me."

I don't understand. What's funny about it?

As if sensing my confusion, Hanbin answers, "Don't mind hyung. He's weird like this all the time."

"Hey!"

"What he means is Jiho-sshi's interested with Junhoe. I think there might be another set-up between them."

"Set... up?" I trail off.

Hanbin nods. "Yeah, like a blind date."

I take a deep breath. Why is this affecting me more than it should? I shouldn't be mad. It's no one's fault that Jiho doesn't know... Who am I kidding? I'm annoyed. She can have other guys but why of all people does it have to be Junhoe?

Gosh, this is so frustrating. I'll take care of this. But! After my classes. Education should be placed first before romance, okay?

🌺🌸🌺

I crane my neck up, hoping to see among the exiting crowd from the building a certain tall man. My eyes dart over different faces, eyes filling up with distant chatter, but I can't spot him. Clutching my handphone, I press the upper button with my index finger, screen flashing with the home screen. It's already his out, why isn't he here yet?

Wait. I see him, just hidden behind a group of students. Waving an arm over my head, I call, "Jun—" but dies down on my throat when the group disperses, revealing a not-so alone Junhoe with Kim Jiho. They're having an intimate conversation, each recipient too focused to see me standing by the sidewalk.

What is she doing here?

Jiho's giggles fill the air, acting coy and all by covering and nudging Junhoe by the shoulder. He's smiling at this. Why is he smiling at this?

My grip tightens on my phone, fingers appearing almost white, before deciding to pocket it inside my jeans. Tugging my bag properly on my shoulder, I take a deep, calming breath, nose almost flaring, before striding towards them.

"Junhoe," I call out, voice clear as the cold autumn day.

They stop walking, her giggles fading away, as they look back at me. Alert strikes Junhoe's eyes, gaze flitting towards her before angling his body towards me, Jiho doing the same. I try to smile, although with the way it curls, I know it looks more crude than friendly.

"Chaeyoung-sshi, am I right?" she asks, returning my smile with something that looks close to mine. And I mean the nasty one. "Do you remember me?"

I laugh, finding the absurdity of this all. I have no time to put on a show. I'm not an actress. Through enlargened lids and gritted teeth, I grab Junhoe's arm. "I'll borrow him for a bit, okay?"

Sending him a warning look, I drag him away to the opposite direction of wherever they're going.

"Uhm, excuse me. We were talking. It's kinda rude to—"

My steps stop. Looking behind, I reply with, "It's also rude to flirt with someone who's already dating someone." I shake my head, continuing my strides with Junhoe. "Gosh..."

Who does she think she is? She may be pretty and all but she has no right to act that way. Her smile is so fake; I can see it from a mile away. And her coy act with Junhoe? I may be clueless a lot of times but she's definitely something else. What's frustrating me the most is why Junhoe's entertaining her in the first place. Can't he keep a distance? Does he like talking to pretty girls that much?

Wow. So this is what 'blood boiling' feels like, huh?

"Chaeyoung," Junhoe says, a slight chuckle in his tone while putting a hand on top of my grip on him. "Chaeyoung, hey. Can we stop for a second?"

With an exasperated sigh, I stop walking, making him stop too. Looking around, we're at the sidewalk around the open fields, figures hidden below the shade of the century-old trees. We're beside a bench so I sit, Junhoe following.

Crossing my arms, I avert my sight away from his teasing smile. "Don't laugh. I'm mad at you."

"Chaeyoung—" he tries in a calm tone but I cut him off.

"Do you like talking to pretty girls that much? You look like you're having the time of your life back there."

"I'm not—"

"I know we talked about keeping our dating a secret but why do you have to hurt me because of it?" I gulp, feeling the familiar painful ache at the back of my throat. dontcrydontcrydontcry. Next thing I know, my will fails me, eyes warming with tears. Ah, why am I like this? Stupid, stupid Chaeyoung.

"Hey..." I feel him scooting close to me. "Chaeyoung..."

I don't dare glance at him, in fear that he'll think me crying is also stupid. Instead, I keep my sight trained to the trees in my line of vision, watching the cool air ruffle the trees' leaves on its way.

"I'm lacking in a lot of things. I'm not experienced in this as you ought to be but I'm genuine. Does dating not equal to being loyal to each other? Because if that's the case then please tell me, so we can... we can stop this."

There's silence on his end. It already tells me a lot of things. Biting my lower lip, I struggle to prevent the tears from falling down, but they, as always, have minds of their own. This is frustrating. Why am I crying at a time like this?

Rough but warm hands arrive on my cheeks, angling me to face Junhoe. My eyes widen in surprise. Traces of amusement already faded into seriousness, the depths of his brooding eyes boring into mine.

"I'm... sorry," he starts, thumbs wiping away the tears on my face. "Please don't cry. I don't want to see you cry. Chaeyoung, look, I..." He sighs. "I don't want to stop. This... what we have now, I don't want to lose this, okay?"

I sniffle. "Then what is it with you and Jiho-sshi?"

"You must've misread the situation. She can be playful a lot of times but she's like that with the others too."

Shaking my head, I argue, "She likes you. I can see it from a mile away."

He gives me a slight smile, one enough to show the pleasant glint in his eyes. "Why are you jealous if I'm already yours in the first place?"

I'm on the right track, that I know, but why is it with his words I waver?

"Y – Yunhyeong sunbaenim and Hanbin sunbaenim... they said your other seniors will arrange a blind date for you. With her."

"Chaeyoung." Junhoe lifts his hands away from my cheeks to take mine sitting on my lap, momentarily looking at them before looking back at me. "Let's already tell them."

Secrets can't be kept forever. Some way or another, someone will know, whether you like it or not. Keeping secrets, most of all the most important ones, are hard to bear alone. Our secret may not be a big deal but it will change a lot of things, not for me, but for him as well. However, is it fine if we keep going through this pace? If I don't establish what we have, not only one Kim Jiho will come, but future others as well. Is it fine with me to let other girls get close to Junhoe?

No. It's already one girl but look at how I'm already affected. How much more if someone comes along, tempting Junhoe to... to... leave me in the end?

With a new-found resolution, I nod. "Okay."

🌺🌸🌺

Junhoe gazes at me, then to the expectant guys in front of us, and with a deep breath, he announces, "We're dating."

"What?" Yunhyeong exclaims, arms thudding on the still empty table parting them from us. "I thought you're just in a 'some' relationship!"

Aside from his outburst, well, the others are silent, until it turns creepy because they're exchanging glances and grinning. Hanbin groans and hangs his head low while Donghyuk sighs, takes out some rolled bills, unfurling them, before counting them bill by bill, and splits it between Jinhwan and Bobby on both of his sides.

Before I can make sense of it, the side dishes arrive on our table, a worker in a pink apron setting them down. She comes back with the plate of uncooked beef and Jinhwan at the head of the table receives it with a polite bow. Donghyuk on his left offers to grill the meat himself. Grabbing the tongs on top of the plate, he nips the reddish meat and places it on the hot plate, the pleasant sizzle it makes signaling its contact.

Junhoe eyes the bills on Jinhwan and Bobby's hands. "Hey, did you bet on us again?"

Hanbin scoffs. "What's new?"

Donghyuk glances at Yunhyeong sitting at the other end. "Hyung started it."

Yunhyeong throws his arms up. "I just opened the betting pool if they're in a 'some' relationship or not! If anything those two—" He eyes the two who have money on their hands. "—are cunning foxes since they raised the stakes by saying they're already dating."

Sensing that they're the topic of discussion, Bobby lifts his gaze, pocketing his bills after. "It's not our fault we heard Junhoe asking her to date him."

What?

Junhoe, along with the others, echoes the same sentiment. "What?"

Jinhwan nods and I can see how he's trying hard not to smile. "Remember when we took back Chaeyoung-sshi's bag?"

Oh my gosh. How did they...? But we didn't see them! They brought my bag after Junhoe and I ate at that cold noodle restaurant (not a romantic place but the food was delicious, by the way) so how...?

"That's cheating!" Hanbin calls out. He turns to Donghyuk with widened eyes. "They're cheating! Those two hyungs!"

Donghyuk doesn't even glance at him, too busy grilling the meat. "They're older than me. Can I do something about it?"

Hanbin throws his hands up in the air and leans on the wall beside him while crossing his arms, huffing.

The man beside me throws Jinhwan an incredulous look. "You were listening?"

"Kinda hard not to when we're close by. I mean, did you even see us?" Jinhwan responds, propping his elbow on the table so as to lean his chin on his palm. "I think you didn't since you were too nervous holding her hand..."

Oh my gosh. They were there too?

Yunhyeong covers his mouth, eyes widening in surprise. "They already held hands?"

"If it's Junhoe we're talking about, they must've already ki—AH!" A thud resounds under the table, Bobby wincing as he massages his leg. He sends a stern glare at Hanbin beside him who's giving him the same thing.

I thought they'll give me a hard time, male friends do, as my friends tell me, since they'll be judgy and all about the girl their friend is dating. But surprisingly, they make me feel at ease the whole time, doing their best to include me on their conversations. Even though they give off mischievous vibes, they're nice people. Their seniors, the group where Jinwoo belongs, can't make it because of their on-site training. But the others assure me they'll pass the message that Junhoe's not in anywhere interested for a blind date.

For my friends though, well... it's safe to say that they act more like my parents than my friends. We met them after Junhoe's friends since there will be great consequences if the news comes from other people. And based on how rumors travel fast, I'll be on the suffering end. After the initial, "What?!" and the classic rant of, "Why didn't you tell us? We're your friends. Friends!", they somehow calm down at the arrival of food. Now that they're calm and more level-headed, I don't know what's worse.

Jennie narrows her eyes, chopsticks dangling on her right hand. "If you ever, EVER, hurt our Chaeyoung, we will hunt you down and drag you in the deepest pits of hell."

Jisoo nods beside her and leans forward. "We will make you beg to—" she whips a hand on her neck, imitating a slashing sound. "—end your misery in one go. Protect our precious baby, got that?"

I see a lump going down on Junhoe's throat, his shoulders stiff, as he nods.

Jisoo claps once, vibrance returning on her eyes. "Now, where are we? Oh! How about you tell us how Junhoe asked you?"

Jennie giggles. She wriggles in excitement on her seat. "Yeah, yeah. Tell us! And please, the exact words, okay?"

Junhoe heaves a relaxed sigh and we exchange glances. I giggle while he shakes his head, letting a little smile shine on his face before holding my hand under the table.

This is the start of everything; no pretense, no hiding from friends, not even secret meetings behind their backs. We may be starting out and let's be real, not exactly in a boyfriend-girlfriend sense yet, but we both know we like each other. We'll figure everything out. That's what future couples do, right?

~🌸tbc