11. when he forgets

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

These past weeks, the time I normally spent with Junhoe shortened. He was caught up in a part-time job at a café near their house. Being part of one of the busiest streets in town, he was always needed there.

Now, I didn't have any complaints on that part. It was just that he looked so tired all the time that I get guilty when I ask him for a date. Not to mention, he still had classes to attend to.

He tries to hide it, but Junhoe wasn't one for pretending. I know he's tired all the time. Today's an exception though. I want to be selfish for once and let him spend his rest day with me. It was my birthday, you know?

It was the first birthday I would be spending with Junhoe. I didn't want to say anything since I want to see if he knows. I just agreed to meet him this Sunday. That's it.

Frankly, I think he was acting like he didn't know so he'd surprise me in the end. I didn't want to pretend not to know but I didn't want to ruin the surprise either.

I'm not assuming things. I know Junhoe. He wouldn't try to forget one of the most important dates in my life, right?

...Right?

Junhoe was currently walking me towards our apartment building. Throughout the day, I restrained myself from asking what he planned for me. Now, the suspense went on too long enough. Was he playing with me by pretending that he was sending me home?

Leaning my head on his shoulder, I mumbled sweetly, "Junhoe..."

The response wasn't what I expected as he shot me a look. "You've been awfully sweet to me today. What's the occasion?"

I glanced up at him. Is he serious?

"You really don't know?"

"Is it something I should know about?"

Wow. Classic Junhoe. Even if he didn't know, I was hurt by his words. Upset all of a sudden, I leaned away from him and walked ahead.

"Chaeyoung... Hey."

He caught up to me in no time. My frustration bubbled more when I saw his clueless face. He's really.... Ugh! So annoying! I mean, it's not mandatory to remember your girlfriend's birthday but really? Of all the things he forgets, it's this?

"Why are you following me? I'm going home."

"Come on, Chaeyoung..."

I folded my arms and tipped my head towards my apartment building. "I'm serious. You should go."

"Wait."

"What is it?"

"Is it our monthsary?"

I frowned. Why would I get upset he forgot a monthsary?

He didn't really know about it. I know I shouldn't expect a lot, but really? My birthday?

That's it. No more chances for you, Junhoe.

"You should go. You have that doctor's appointment at 6, right?"

He winced as he glanced at his wristwatch. "Right. Sorry. Talk to you later?"

His worried eyes made me guilty for acting petty about it. Fatigue underlined his whole face. Maybe he was too caught up between his work and school to remember. I wanted to forgive him about it, but I just couldn't bring myself to.

I only nodded. Even though I was annoyed at him, I let him kiss my cheek. I know he knows I'm upset about something.

🌺🌸🌺

Mom hugged me the moment I arrived home. "There's the birthday girl!"

I forced a smile. "Hey, mom."

She caught on immediately. "What's wrong? Did you and Junhoe have a fight?"

"It's nothing," I kindly replied as I removed my sneakers and put on my slippers.

"If you say so... Don't forget that we'll go to that restaurant downtown at six, okay?"

"If you and dad kept reminding me about it, then I can't really forget," I chuckled lightheartedly, remembering how they always brought it up any chance they got. Reservations for that place was hard to get, you see.

Frankly, I didn't see the need for it. Mom already cooked me seaweed soup, among other delicious dishes, this morning with dad. For me, that was all I needed. Dad rarely comes home during the weekdays because of work so family get-togethers was hard to come by. This time, because of my birthday, we had a lot of fun. That was enough of a gift for me.

"I'll just rest for a while," I informed mom.

"Okay," she distractedly noted while glancing at her phone, receiving a message.

When I arrived inside my bedroom, Junhoe called. I glared at the screen for a second more. I don't want to answer it but I kind of want to. Maybe this time he figured it out?

Whatever. I don't care anymore.

With a hard swipe of my thumb, I answered the call.

"It's our anniversary, right?"

I removed the phone off my ear just to glare at it one more time, hoping that a certain someone receive it. Did he call me just to guess?

"Our anniversary's not due for another month," I testily replied.

"You're enjoying on torturing me this much, are you?"

If he continues like this, I'll really forget that he's my boyfriend. I'm serious.

"Come on. Will it kill you to say why you're mad at me?"

Yes, it will. But it's not me that'll be killed, but you. I wanted to say that but it'll just make him curious. If that happens, he wouldn't stop pestering me about this. That'd be something I can't handle right now.

"Is it your birthday?"

"...No," I lied, hoping that he wasn't just guessing blindly.

"Then what is it?"

Psh. He even bought it.

"Good bye, Junhoe."

"Wait!"

"What?"

"Can we talk like rational adults about this? Come down and see me for a bit. I'm still here."

"Why? You're the one who needs something from me."

"I want to go there, but your father's home."

I'll let him freeze out there. I don't care. It's my birthday and I should worry about his curiosity? I should be happy today.

"Please?"

And then he does something like this.

Puffing my cheeks, I said, "Fine."

🌺🌸🌺

Meet me at the playground, his text said.

Since I didn't change my clothes yet, I went ahead wearing the same ones I had when I met with him.

I already arrived at the playground but no one's here. Strange... around this time, the neighborhood kids would be up and about. Is there an event or something?

I tried reaching Junhoe's number, but it was always going to voicemail.

Tapping my feet on the pavement impatiently, I looked around for any signs of a tall man in the vicinity. Where is he now?

This isn't like him at all. Even though he had done nothing but provide negativity on my birthday, I couldn't help but get worried. What if he got mugged on the way here? What if he met an accident? Or worse... what if he...?

I felt my eyes sting with tears. Startled at how overdramatic I was being, I shook my head and tried to stop myself from crying. Really... why am I crying over a silly matter? Nothing bad was even happening yet I was alreay thinking about it. This is bad. I shouldn't be like this. But at the same time, I can't help it...

"Chaeyoung!"

I turned around at the sound of a familiar voice. There, standing near the playground's entrance were my friends along with Junhoe's friends. They were all holding something behind them. As if rehearsed, they brought it out for me to see.

Happy birthday, Park Chaeyoung!

It was a handwritten message broken down per syllables with bright markers, each penmanship different from the other one. Yunhyeong oppa and Jennie unnie even appeared with pretty heart balloons.

What's happening?

They made me speechless when they started singing happy birthday. Jisoo unnie pointed at something behind me and when I did, I saw Junhoe holding a cake with a candle lit on top of it. A knowing smile was on his face as he approached.

Junhoe. But I thought he...

When the song ended, Junhoe said, "Blow the candle, Chaeyoung."

I did what he wanted me to do, admiring the cake as I did so. It was a dome-shaped teddy bear face, the cake that I casually pointed to Junhoe as cute when it was up for display on a bakery. Did he remember that part?

Whatever it was, it didn't matter for now because Junhoe was here.

"I thought you forgot..." I sulked.

He was still smirking by the time I looked up at him. "How could I forget?"

"You must have had fun fooling me, don't you? When did you learn to act like that?"

He chuckled and kept me close. "I practiced with Jinhwan for weeks for that."

"So that's why..."

The annoyance I felt for him disappeared at this moment. For a while there I thought he really forgot. He was a man who couldn't pretend after all. But I'm happy. For him to organize something like this... it meant he really loves me.

"Thank you for this. I really am."

Kissing the top of my head, he whispered, "Happy birthday, my love."

My heart skipped a beat at that endearment. Junhoe...

"Uhm, excuse me, do we still exist?" Jennie remarked behind us, ruining our special moment.

"We still have a birthday to celebrate." Donghyuk added. "Enough of you two lovebirds!"

"Yeah, don't hog Chaeyoung by yourself. Junhoe's quite selfish, don't you think so?" Jisoo jokingly commented.

"That hyung's always like that!" Chanwoo chided in.

I giggled before letting go of Junhoe. "Alright! Where are we heading off to?"

"There's this restaurant downtown that Junhoe booked for us..."

~🌸tbc.