[sp] when he's worried: pt. 1

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

"Is something wrong?" Junhoe asks and I don't know if I should be annoyed or disappointed or all of those things at once. I mean, isn't it obvious for him? Do I have to spoonfeed the answer for him to understand??

"Nothing."

"I know it's not nothing."

Before I know it, the words are already slipping out of my lips. "You figure it out."

I want to take it back but I know at this point it's already too late. I don't want us to fight, okay?

Something shifts on his eyes. He's taken aback at my answer and frankly at this point, I don't care what he feels right now.

Whatever. I'm seriously... urgh.

"You go do what you want. I'm going home."

For a moment, I thought I saw Junhoe panic but then I guess it's just my imagination working because I swear, if there is a contest for the best pokerface around, he'd win for sure. It doesn't matter anymore because the moment I leave him alone, this discussion is as good as dead.

🌺🌸🌺

Three hours ago...

"Chaeyoung?" Junhoe stopped walking. He spoke in a tone that urged me to tell him what was wrong. It only meant that he noticed me acting odd.

I hesitated voicing out my thoughts, thoughts that were bugging me the moment I agreed to meet his cousin. I know that if I did, he'd just say something supportive.

"I dunno. I mean, this family gathering... don't you think it's something I shouldn't be invited to?"

Junhoe assessed what he was going to say carefully, going around the topic like a wrong word from him will completely discourage me from coming at all. Maybe it would. Maybe it wouldn't. But one thing's for sure; I was so nervous I feel my knees turning jelly.

Okay, I'm cool with his parents but his cousin? It's like meeting the parents all over again. What if this cousin doesn't like me? What if I say something wrong and offend her without meaning to?

Apparently, this cousin is the closest to him and even though they're not blood-related (she is an adoptive daughter of his aunt), they treat each other like siblings, or so Junhoe said.

Ugh. Can I just pretend I have to go somewhere else?

"Relax," Junhoe said, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "My cousin will love you."

I smiled just so that he'll feel comforted (even though I needed that more). There wasn't much room for backing out since we were already in front of their doorstep.

When Junhoe opened the door, I heard laughter. I didn't hear this much laughter before... It was surprising to see even Junhoe's dad who seemed reserved around me laughing carefree.

"Mom, we're here!"

One moment, I was removing my ballet flats, next thing I knew, I was dragged by a beauty. This must be Junhoe's cousin. He didn't tell me she was pretty. Too pretty than I'd like to admit.

"Hello, I'm Yeri. You must be Chaeyoung! Wow... you're really pretty as they say. How did you meet my cousin? How did you even fancy him? I mean, I heard so much about you from auntie but I want to hear —"

"Let her breathe. Geez," Junhoe commented, sitting beside me on the loveseat in front of his parents.

Yeri sat in the armchair between the two  loveseats and from my position, I saw her pouting at Junhoe's remark. "No hug for your cousin then?"

My boyfriend hated skinship (obviously not with me) so I kinda expected him to do his signature eye-roll. When he didn't, however, took me by surprise. Junhoe even initiated the hug.

"Why wouldn't my favorite cousin get one?" I heard Junhoe say, buried in Yeri's arms.

As much as I wanted to deny that didn't disturb me (after all, it wasn't everyday I'd see my boyfriend hug a pretty girl), it did and I didn't know how to deal with that.

🌺🌸🌺

The way Junhoe acted around his cousin continued to bug me in the dining room when we were eating lunch.

We sat side by side, his father on the head chair, mother on his right, and Yeri in front of Junhoe. Junhoe picked up radishes and placed it on Yeri's bowl saying, "You should eat more. How are you gonna grow up if you're eating so little?"

Yeri pouted, something I noticed as her usual habit. "Oppa... stop it..."

Junhoe chuckled like a foolish man caught in a trap of a pretty girl. "Cute..."

Now, I know I said that I wasn't jealous or anything, but right now, I just wanted to kick Junhoe in the shin. How can he call another girl cute in front of me? Even if said girl was his cousin? (not related by blood, mind you)

Of course, the next step was to dismiss it. How can I do that though when he continued his streaks for the next few hours?

I offered to wash the dishes and I always do that when I eat at their place. Which, mother would say, "No, you're a guest so just leave it there and I'll take care of the rest."

Mother and I would wash the dishes together in the end (a solution Junhoe brought up). It was a fun thing to do, especially if I was doing it with mother. She's such a kind person who had a lot of stories to tell. Oftentimes, I mistake her for my own mom. It's the same reason why I feel comfortable around Junhoe's family. I really feel a part of it now.

With a relative here though, of course they want to spend time with her as much as they can. When mother and I was on our usual banter about who gets to wash the dishes, Junhoe butted in, "Let Chaeyoung handle it. You have to show Yeri my middle school pictures!"

"But son, I—"

Junhoe was already taking her away from the kitchen before she could protest.

Wow. I don't even know how to react to that. Did Junhoe just...? I mean, I don't have any complaints with washing the dishes but seriously??? Why was he acting like I was nothing to him? I thought he was going to introduce me to his cousin?

Wait. Does he even remember I'm still his girlfriend?

This was frustrating me. Wearing the pink gloves, I remembered reading that washing the dishes are therapeutic. I hoped that was true.

In the middle of scrubbing the bowls, I felt someone staring at me. When I checked it out, I saw no one. The kitchen had a wall separating it to the living room where everyone was so I couldn't see who left. That was weird.

After a while, someone did arrive in the kitchen area.

"Hi... uhm... Can I wash my hands?"

Looking around, it was Yeri. She looked dazzling in close-up. From a woman's perspective, I knew she wasn't wearing any make-up, only lipstick I guess. But it looked like she did because of her clear skin. I'm slightly envious.

I blinked and stepped aside. "Sure."

"You know," she began while washing her hands. "I never had the time to know you better."

She was right. Junhoe was too busy taking up all her time.

"It's okay. Junhoe must've missed you a lot," I replied and I hoped it didn't show how much I was irritated at him right now.

Yeri went silent for a few beats before turning off the faucet, a hesitant glance thrown at me. "You know, we used to study at the same school when we were in high school. Back then, a lot of girls liked him so much, even me. I know everything there is to know about his ex and I hope with you, it doesn't end the same."

She gave me a slight nod and left me with a trail of her sweet scent. Everything she just said didn't enter my head because of two words. 'Even me.' What did that mean???

Did she just gave me more reasons to be jealous? Okay, even though they're still not related by blood, they're still relatives. That still counts for untouchables right?

An article I read in the internet two weeks ago surfaced in my mind, a bad timing you could say since it only increased whatever's knawing my insides right now.

Two cousins fled to the States to get married, despite their families' strong objection over their relationship. Now, as much as that doesn't sound right, Junhoe and Yeri weren't blood-related and practically spent their whole life together. Both of them had a lot of chances to develop... feelings and knowing Junhoe, he'd probably be rebellious when that happens...

Ah, now I was overthinking things. Stop it, Chaeyoung!

🌺🌸🌺

"I'm sorry dear for making you wash the dishes. Junhoe held me up by searching for his photo albums and—"

I sent mother a polite smile. "It's nothing."

To which, she couldn't accept, venting out her frustration to someone else, namely her son sitting beside Yeri who was too preoccupied telling her stories from the photo albums. Mother pinched his ear and made him yelp.

"This is your fault. Even if Chaeyoung's your girlfriend, she's still our guest!"

"Mom!"

"This kid... did you send her here just to be our maid? Introduce her properly to your cousin!"

I bit my lower lip to prevent me from smiling. Mother just makes me happy.

Now it was only Yeri, Junhoe, and me left in the living room since mother assisted Junhoe's dad for his afternoon nap. A lot of months passed since his last but he had trouble moving by himself.

Before I could sit at the armchair nearest to where the two was, Yeri let out a scream, raising her legs up and clung to Junhoe's waist.

Naturally, Junhoe was worried. "What's wrong?"

"S – Spider!"

It crawled towards me and like a reflex, stepped it without much thought. When I raised the slipper, the crawling spider was no more, now mashed up into a gooey mess of a black dot.

Junhoe looked at me like I grew two heads. "Are you crazy? You don't kill spiders before."

"I just felt like killing something," I commented with a shrug.

"Thank you, unnie!" Yeri said with a bright smile. "Wait, I can call you unnie, right?"

"As much as you can call my boyfriend oppa," I murmured and I covered my mouth before I could think it through.

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."

Thankfully. I shook my head and gave her a smile as bright as hers. "Nothing. You can call me unnie if you want."

Even if the spider was long gone, she was still clinging on my boyfriend's waist like a scared kid. I knew they treat each other like siblings but really? It was just a freaking spider!

I coughed, hoping that she gets the message. She did and sported a faint blush in her cheeks.

"Sorry, oppa."

Junhoe ruffled her hair. "Always the one who gets scared by spiders, are you?"

I didn't know how their dynamics work and frankly at this point, I didn't care, but I was sure that the Junhoe I was seeing right now wasn't the Junhoe I knew at all. He didn't treat anybody like this before, even me. I just felt uncomfortable seeing the two of them together.

I'm not jealous, okay? It's just maybe he ought to remember that he invited me to meet her in the first place. Which, by the way, it was only him that did the meet and greet. He was that happy to see her.

Glancing at my wristwatch, I said, "I have to get going. It's getting late."

Junhoe frowned. "Right now? But it's only three hours since you got here."

Exactly. Three hours with you getting cozy with Yeri. I still kept my smile. "I'd love to stay more but I have to go now. Dad will go home early today." I turned to Yeri. "It's nice to meet you."

"Wait." My boyfriend rose from the couch. "I'll take you home."

"There's no need," I said as I wear my sling bag. I don't want to ruin your moment with your cousin, I wanted to add.

"Don't be silly. Yeri, I'll just send her home."

She replied with a, "Okay."

Since he was insisting, I guess there wasn't much to do. As we were walking out of their village, he attempted to hold my hand but I didn't let him, sweeping my hair off my shoulder and offhandedly telling him we weren't in the state for that.

Well, I'm sorry, Goo Junhoe. I couldn't surpress the irritation even if I wanted to.

Of course what I did had consequences. The golden question was asked quicker than expected (I thought he was naïve now).

"Is something wrong?"

I don't know if I should be annoyed or disappointed or all of those things at once. I mean, isn't it obvious for him? Do I have to spoonfeed the answer for him to understand???

"Nothing."

"I know it's not nothing."

Before I know it, the words are already slipping out of my lips. "You figure it out."

I want to take it back but I know at this point it's already too late. I don't want us to fight, okay?

Something shifts on his eyes. He is taken aback at my answer and frankly at this point, I don't care what he feels right now.

Whatever. I'm seriously... urgh.

"You go do what you want. I'm going home."

For a moment, I thought I saw Junhoe panic but then I guess it's just my imagination working because I swear, if there is a contest for the best pokerface around, he'd win for sure. It doesn't matter anymore because the moment I leave him alone, this discussion is as good as dead.

"Chaeyoung, wait." His footsteps fall with mine. "You aren't going home until we sort this thing out."

"It's really nothing. Don't think much about it, okay?"

He held my arm before I could take another step. "Chaeyoung. Is this about...?" Before he can continue, he shakes his head, dismissing a thought from being said aloud. "Nevermind."

Looking at his eyes was hard to do, not when it look so distant, the same eyes who always spells out love and affection for me. He let go of me the next moment.

"I assume you can go home by yourself?"

His tone turns cold, colder than the wind penetrating my bare skin. I nod, unable to find the ability to speak.

"Then take care."

Before I can say anything, he's already walking back to his house. Something's bugging him I know. Junhoe isn't like this. Usually when I get upset for a reason he doesn't know, he'd stay with me until I tell him what's wrong.

I almost wanted to follow after him. Keyword: Almost.

Junhoe... what's up with him?

~🌸tbc