o2. when he's thankful

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

Junhoe's mother summoned me in their residence, asking for help.

Mother's kind eyes were plagued with worry. She fiddled with the space between her thumb and index finger, a nervous habit Junhoe told me she had. Seeing her like this made me worry too.

"I'm sorry for calling you this late, Chaeyoung-ah. I'm really worried about him. He hasn't even gone out to eat dinner."

I softly squeezed her arm, a gesture to somehow calm her down. "Don't worry, omeoni. I'll take care of him."

"Thank you for this, Chaeyoung-ah. If you need me, give me a call. I'll be at the hospital."

"Take care, omeoni."

"You too."

After seeing her off and making sure I locked the door properly, I tried knocking at Junhoe's wooden door again, in hopes he'd answer this time.

"Junhoe?"

I tried knocking again but was only met with silence.

I rummaged my purse and quickly found what I was looking for: my school ID. I held the doorknob to give it a raise and wedged the card between the gap. I didn't expect for this to work though, but when the lock clicked, I was surprised. It was the first time I tested this since Junhoe told me about his door hack.

It was dark inside the room, except for the lit orange lamp at the study table and his laptop's screen. A figure covered parts of the light shining through the area and I knew then that it was my boyfriend, sleeping on the desk.

Sighing, I went closer, crouching at his side. Streaks of orange mingling with the harsh white incandescence of the screen shined through his features, providing him a soft image I didn't know he was capable of having. His lids fluttered every now and then, along with his long eyelashes that I always get envious of. The god-given sleek pinkish lips he had were slightly parted and for a moment, I had the urge to run my finger through it, just so I could trace the outline of his soft lips. I smiled at that thought. It'd be less creepy if he's awake when I do that.

My knee joints were screaming with pain now, so I stood up, my knees popping (mental note: exercise more often) and almost groaned aloud if I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to be here. Giving my boyfriend a quick glance, I sighed in relief, knowing that he didn't wake up.

As I watch Junhoe's back slowly rise and fall, my heart ached. The midterms just ended but the week after that was torturing everyone the most, especially Junhoe whose father was in the hospital after suffering a mild . He had to take absences most days of the week in order to take care of his father.

I offered to help him but prideful and stubborn Junhoe objected. He had always been like that; ready to help (even though it doesn't seem like so) but never asking for help. It provided to be a problem most of the times since I had to guess what he really needs help with. Right now though, I knew what he needed.

I took the laptop carefully out of his desk. Before I could leave though, I had the urge to kiss his exposed cheek since his sleeping face looked so adorable. But I fought off the urge.

When he's awake, Chaeyoung, I reprimanded myself. Don't be such a creep!

I went out of the room, closing the door softly behind, and laid the laptop on the dining table. Two word documents were opened. A book report and a lab report...

To say that it astounded me was an understatement. The book report was stuck on the first paragraph, just on the introduction. And the lab report... don't even get me started. To make matters worse, these were all individual projects with deadlines tomorrow.

A deep sigh escaped my mouth. If Junhoe asked for my help a little early, then he would've finished this on time.

'Why did I fall in love with a stubborn man in the first place?' I thought sullenly.

I didn't let these hurdles bring my spirit down. It may seem impossible but I know that if I persevere, I can do this. I will, because even though he annoys me to death sometimes, I love this guy.

Stretching my arms, I repeated aloud, "For Junhoe..."

Calling Donghyuk, Junhoe's close friend who had the same major as him, was the plausible thing to do. Plus, he was smart. This will be a breeze for him.

"Thanks. I was gonna offer him my help if you didn't call me first," Donghyuk started after I explained the situation to him. "Passing all of those things tomorrow is as impossible as Junhoe asking me for help."

"Thank you for this, Donghyuk-ah. I'll treat you to lunch in return!"

"This is nothing. Just send the files to me and I'll send it back to you after I'm done."

"I was thinking you can do the lab report and me, the book report one. It'll be quicker that way."

"That'll be fine with me."

"Really, thank you for this. You're a great friend."

"And you're a wonderful girlfriend as well."

That made me smile.

While I wait for Donghyuk to send me the finished output, I read the book Junhoe had to do for his book report one. The pdf file was minimized so I just had to read it on the laptop.

"Two-hundred pages? That's a lot..." I muttered. "How can Junhoe think he can do this in a day?"

Fearing that I wouldn't finish it on-time, I skimmed through it, then read its synopsis, other people's reviews, and summaries on the internet. I didn't want to since I love these kind of assignments, but I had to for time.

After gathering enough information, I started forming my thesis around it, letting my fingers do the talking.

A beep startled me. Donghyuk messaged me, saying he sent the file to my e-mail. I downloaded it and messaged him back by saying words of gratitude. He responded with a, 'don't stay up for too long. contact me when you need help.'

I opened the lab report, getting awed by it since I saw how Donghyuk was a meticulate worker. He answered every question with complete sentences, no grammar mistakes, and used proper punctuation. His answers were well-thought out too, never settling with one sentence but paragraphs. Lots of it.

It inspired me to do the same. After checking the lab report, I minimized it and worked on my task. I must've become so engrossed in my work that I didn't notice how much time passed. Right when my fingers cramped from too much typing, I saw that it was already around two in the morning at the corner of the screen.

Take a break, my mind screamed.

Since I was now finished with everything I needed to do, I nodded to myself and laid my arms on top of the table, using it as my pillow.

I'll... just... close my eyes.... for a moment... let me rest...

🌺🌸🌺

"Chaeyoung... Chaeyoung..."

My eyes fluttered open. For a moment, my sight was blurry, only making out faint outlines around me. Then it became clear when I blinked more times, registering that the dark outline infront of me was Junhoe. Confused to see him here, I mumbled, "Where am I?"

Junhoe stood straight up. I noticed how he was fully dressed, his casual getup whenever he goes to school. He wore his favorite white Supreme shirt and paired it with his dark ripped jeans. He also wore the yellow striped socks I gave him for his birthday. I blinked some more. Cute.

"My house," he answered a matter-of-factly.

Ah. Yes right.

Wait... what?!

Morning sunlight was already inside the house. A glare of the high rise of the sun was even evident on the window in front of the kitchen sink, which only meant one thing. This is bad.

I stayed over at Junhoe's house without meaning to and I only said to my parents I'll be gone for a while. If they found out about this, I'll be so dead. I fumbled for my phone and hurriedly unlocked it to call my parents, when my boyfriend's calming voice stopped my distress from spiking through the roof.

"Your mother called," my boyfriend began. "Mom already explained everything to her."

"Really?" I made sure before I could put my phone away. Mom wasn't the type to agree easily. Knowing her, she'd flip knowing that I stayed over at a boy's house, even worse, my boyfriend's house.

I pushed the fear creeping in my head to ask the next thing. "What did my mom say?"

"She said that she'd let you stay over since it was too late for you to walk home, and that you should've told her first. Don't worry about it much. Mom already pacified her for you, said that it's to return the gesture."

I felt relieved at that. I didn't know what magic Junhoe's mother did, but it sure worked. As I look at my phone, I saw two missed calls from mom, made around seven pm. In my attempt to finish Junhoe's work as fast as possible, I put my phone on silent and probably ignored the beeping, even forgetting about texting my parents. On top of the missed calls notification was a text message from mom saying, 'Chaeyoung, I don't know why you're not answering your phone but junhoe's mother called and explained everything to me. I just wished you could've told me first. This is the last time you'll do something like this. Take care of yourself, alright?'

Feeling guilty all of a sudden, I typed in my reply.

'Just woke up, mom. I'm really sorry about making you worry. Will explain to you later. Love you so much <3'

I hope it was enough for my mom to forgive me, even though I know I'd get scolded when I get home later. Putting my phone down, I realized then that Junhoe's laptop in front of me was gone. The remaining sleep I felt evaporated as soon as this registered in my head. At this point, he would've told me off. He didn't say anything about it, didn't even mention me doing his tasks by myself. But strangely... he didn't.

My eyes calculated every move Junhoe was making around the kitchen. If there was any indication that he was angry or annoyed or guilty even, he sure was an expert in hiding it.

Not wanting to bring it up either, I started, "Your mom..." A yawn escaped from my lips without intention, then went on to remove the blanket around my shoulders that he must've placed. "She was worried about you and called me here."

"I could tell," he said. I saw his grip tightening around the refrigerator handle, his hand going white for a moment. As if he knew I was looking, he quickly opened it and took out a water jug, placing it on top the dinner table after. Then he sat on the chair on my right.

My forehead creased. "Junhoe, what's wrong?"

Sighing, he replied, "It's just... I don't want my mom to do that, asking you to do such thing and all."

"What are you talking about? You talk as if you're a stranger to me. This is a hundred percent done with my conviction, alright?"

"You were put into a spot where you have no choice but to agree."

"Your mother wouldn't ask me for help if she didn't really need it. And quite frankly, I prefer her doing that than do nothing at all. Come on, you know her better than me."

A thoughtful look passed across his face before he sighed. It was when he did this that tired lines became more evident on his face, the dark bags under his eyes noticeably darker than the last I'd seen them. My heart couldn't help but ache at that.

"I guess you're right." Shaking his head as if the movement signaled that the topic be forgotten for now, he asked, "Are you hungry?"

Wait a minute...

I was too focused on Junhoe to notice the food on the table. There were vegetable omelettes, seasoned kelp, tofu, radish kimchi, and varieties of side dishes in little bowls. How did he do this without me waking up? Was I too deep in my sleep not to hear him cause a ruckus in the kitchen, or was he just a pro in working silently?

"You cooked this?" I asked, more out of disbelief than surprise that my man could actually handle a pan or two.

Junhoe simply nodded and shrugged like it was no big deal. My mouth formed into an 'O', secretly pleased at this newfound revelation. Maybe sometime I'll bug him to cook for me again, when he's not too busy.

Moving on, he moved a bowl filled with rice from his side to me, the utensils after. "Let's eat first before I walk you home. Dress for school then."

Nodding while taking the utensils from him, I replied, "Okay. Do we have enough time for that though? I know you have to pass your projects today. What if you go ahead instead?"

"Don't be silly," he snorted. "I'm not letting a pretty girl like you go to school alone."

Blushing at his choice of words, I hid the fact well that his words made me melt by arguing back. "Hey, I handled myself pretty well without you back then."

"We have an hour and a half before school starts, Chaeyoung. That's more than enough time for us."

"But Junhoe—"

He gave me his most famous deadpan expression, one that said, 'you aren't getting out of this argument, honey'.

"Okay." I raised my arms in defeat. "Fine, mister."

My boyfriend can be persuasive when he wants to—a fact that I either love or hate, depending on the situation. Dropping it for now, I stood up and went to the sink to wash my hands before my boyfriend could lecture me for wasting time.

But, as the lemon-scented handwash soap just settled nicely on my nose, I felt Junhoe's familiar back on mine, his arms around my waist, encasing me on a hug.

Surprised, I uttered, "Junhoe?"

If it wasn't silent around the house, I wouldn't hear his soft whisper tickling my ear. A little gesture, yet one that could make me feel tingles on my spine.

"Thank you," he had said before placing a soft kiss on my cheek.

I smiled at that. He did notice my efforts after all.

~🌸tbc.