o7. when he makes me upset

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

Junhoe and I were currently sitting at the waiting room of the local hospital near our university, waiting for my check-up with an obstetrician to see how our baby's doing. I've been feeling weird recently and I think something's wrong. It's making me anxious these days.

Just kidding. I have an appointment for my health problems. My parents forced me to do monthly check-ups because I have a weak immune system, especially when I fainted last semester because of school load. This time, Junhoe's accompanying me, but he was so focused on his game that I wish he didn't at all. All I did for the past twenty minutes was stare at the boring white wall, or amuse myself by quietly singing disney songs. My handphone's pretty much useless because it's at twelve percent. I should've charged it last night...

"Penny for your thoughts?" Junhoe asked, a momentary glance thrown at my way before focusing on his phone. The game's sound effects seemed to echo in the waiting room as he pressed the screen with fast accuracy. Junhoe should be thankful that the place was filled with mindless chatter because if it wasn't, I had a reason to make him stop playing.

"It's nothing," I replied. He uttered a, "Hm," and didn't even look at me, like ninety-nine percent of his focus wasn't with me, but rather, on his phone with his stupid game.

Feeling my irritation rising with that, I called, "Junhoe."

I think he didn't even hear me.

"Junhoe," I tried again.

"Wait, baby. Final boss," Junhoe said.

With a glare at him, I fought off the urge to smile at his endearment and lied to myself that it didn't make my heart skip a beat. He calls me that from time to time, even if we didn't have pet names for each other. Wait. I was supposed to be mad at him! Why is my heart forgiving him easily with one word?

I'll let it slide this time. If he's ignoring me, I'll just bug him then.

I hooked my arms around one of his. He raised it a little for my arms to get neatly tucked around. I leaned my chin on top of my boyfriend's shoulder and watched him play. Now I don't know how the game works but I think he's pretty good at it.

Waiting without nothing to do was hard so after sometime, it felt like tonnes weighed down my eyelids. I forced myself to stay awake, but it didn't work. It was the usual time for naps, having been in the middle of the afternoon that maybe I feel so drowsy. That, and because I was bored out of my mind.

Sleep was just visiting when Junhoe shifted to remove my arms around his. Feeling alert all of a sudden, I held my grip firmly in place. He's not getting away with me.

Snuggling closer to my boyfriend, I mumbled, "Don't move."

"This is uncomfortable, Chae."

I whined, mumbling incoherent cutesy sounds under my breath. "No."

The focused look on his face, with his eyebrows knotted in concentration, frown curving down the ends of his mouth, relaxed into something else. His finger touches on his phone went slow as he looked at me, like really looked at me.

I didn't know what I did, but it caused one end of his mouth to quirk, his eyes sparkling with adoration. Before I could understand why, he shook his head and chuckled. "Fine, if that's what you want."

A new kind of hope surged in my chest. Finally, I thought, he's going to put down his phone. But then that hope was crushed the next second as he went to play on his phone again. Ugh. I'm seriously getting jealous over that thing!

As revenge, I removed an arm around his and poked his side. "Notice me."

He flinched his body away but didn't give in.

"Junhoe, notice me please..."

My boyfriend didn't even budge at that. Seriously!

Forced to go to my last resort, I removed my arms around him and repeatedly nudged his side with my elbow. A tinge of annoyance showed on his features but I didn't care then. "Junhoe! Look! LOOK!"

"What?" he glowered as he raised his head from his phone.

Keeping myself cute as much as possible, I pouted and neared my face close to him. "Chaeyoung needs some love..."

Junhoe blinked nonchalantly, dread slowly creeping in on me as silence passed between us. It only meant that he wasn't least affected by my cuteness. And here I thought it'd work...

Junhoe looked like he was trying to say something but was interrupted by his own phone announcing, "You died..."

I froze at that.

His nonchalance morphed into something else, something indescribable, something that made me gulp in fear. With his furrowed brows, his frown went deeper as he checked his phone if his character really died.

Uh-oh...

Before Junhoe could speak, the doctor's door opened, revealing a nurse in uniform. "Park Chaeyoung-sshi?"

I raised a hand. "Here."

The nurse smiled at me. "Right this way."

I tentatively glanced over at Junhoe's figure, but he wasn't even looking at me. He had his arms folded, his phone tucked in his armpit. A frown marred his features not because he was focusing, but rather, because he was vexed. Guilt piled up on my shoulders when I saw that. What to do?

"Are you coming?" I felt the need to ask.

He shook his head and waved me off. With that gesture alone, I confirmed that he was really upset with me.

Sighing, I unhooked my sling bag around my shoulder and laid it on my chair when I stood up. "Then watch my bag for me please."

My boyfriend didn't reply to that and I didn't hear anything from him after, not even a word of acknowledgement, as I followed the nurse to the doctor's office.

I couldn't help but sigh again. I sense a long day coming.

🌺🌸🌺

After my appointment at the hospital, we walked around the Mapo district since Junhoe said that he'd take me to a café he knew nearby. That was after he got upset with me and right now, as we toured the busy streets of the district, he was giving me the silent treatment, making me wonder if he still had the intention to take me there.

The indistinct chatter of people on the sidewalk and the cars whizzing by served as the only noise. The atmosphere felt frigid and it wasn't because it was winter. Uncomfortable all of a sudden, I fiddled with the collar of my undershirt over my gray sweater. I regretted the fact that I wore a mini skirt to pair these with. The cold days weren't hitting Seoul just yet, but still, the cool breeze nipped my exposed legs cold. I looked over at Junhoe's get-up, with him wearing a v-neck over his denim jacket, dark jeans, and work boots. For a moment, I was envious that he was completely covered from head to toe. He wouldn't worry about the cold nipping his skin, or the weather bringing his body temperature down.

Junhoe still looked upset even after walking for some time. Unable to see him like this, I broke the silence.

"Junhoe, I'm sorry... I didn't mean it..."

"I lost my streak because of you," Junhoe mumbled under his breath in a condescending tone.

Suddenly, my chest whirled with series of emotions, negative ones, as I heard that from him. How could he say something like that? It was too overwhelming for me that I stopped on my tracks, making him stop too.

"You're blaming it on me?"

"Yes," he replied through gritted teeth. "How was I supposed to get distracted then?"

"If you didn't focus on your game too much, then maybe that wouldn't happen!"

"I was playing at an event! An important one. You should know better than interrupt me in the middle of it."

Ugh! "Then you shouldn't have come with me if you'll play in the first place!" Suddenly, I felt my eyes pricked with tears, a not-so-good sign of what was about to happen. But what to do? I was too into my emotions for me to care. Blinking those tears away, I continued, "All I asked was your time, can't you give me that?"

Junhoe was left speechless. He tried to touch me but I flinched away. With a flick of the back of my hand, I wiped my tears away. "I'll just go home."

Without waiting for a reply, I continued walking, this time, to the direction of the bus stop. If I run now, I would be able to get in on time. Before I could do that though, I felt a hand on my wrist.

"Chaeyoung, wait."

Pursing my lips, I tugged my wrist away, a futile attempt to match my strength with his.

"Junhoe," I warned. "Let me go. I want to go home."

My boyfriend walked in front of me, his grip still on my wrist. "Chaeyoung, just... listen to me."

I wasn't ready to listen to him yet, but I don't know, the other half of me wanted to. Maybe it was the reason why I still stayed.

His adam's apple noticeably bobbed up and down as he gulped. "I'm... sorry. I shouldn't have done that in the first place."

"Is that all?"

I didn't want to sound cold but I was still hurt at what he did, so I kept my stance. Realizing quickly then, I wasn't ready to forgive him just yet.

"Wait," Junhoe frantically called when I attempted to leave again. "I don't want to see you cry, okay?" He hesitantly raised his free arm to wipe my tears with the back of his hand, making me finally look up at him. It was a mistake on my part. "Yet I became the reason of it... Can you give this bastard another chance?"

I fought the urge to smile. He was already forgiven the moment I saw his eyes, as much as I'd hate to admit that.

Junhoe bit his lower lip and unsurely looked at me. "What do you say, Chaeyoung?"

My reply didn't come in the form of words. I buried my nose in his chest, his comforting scent eventually evoking a sense of calmness in me. At the end of the day, no matter how hurtful his actions are towards me, I still couldn't get mad at him for too long.

I felt his chest heave a sigh of relief, then his lips softly pressing on the side of my head. It left a tingling sensation on that part when he did that.

"Cold?" he softly murmured.

I nodded, the movement felt against his chest. He proceeded to raise his denim jacket so that I could be buried under it, but I struggled, which made him chuckle. I raised my head to send him a glare but I at that (Junhoe says I just looked cute doing it) so he chuckled more.

"Seriously, Junhoe..." I said as I detached myself away from him.

"What did the doctor say?" he suddenly asked, making me forget that I was supposed to be irritated at him in the first place.

"Well... he said that I should keep away from men addicted to their phones. They'll make me cry a lot."

"Chae..."

I smiled. "Just kidding. He said that my health's improving. I should continue keeping myself off stressful things and I'm good."

"Should you keep yourself off me then?" he asked in a lighthearted manner.

I shrugged. "Maybe. But you also make me happy. How would that work then?"

A cold breeze flew by at that moment. Subconsciously, I rubbed my hands together and drew in a deep breath. My boyfriend's sight stayed at my hands, making me believe that the chills I felt wasn't left unnoticed.

Junhoe held his hand for me to take. "Let's go to that café I was talking about. You'll be a lot warmer there."

Defeated but smiling, I took his hand. He pocketed our intertwined hands inside his jacket after, making me feel warm somehow.

"Promise me you'll not play that game much when you're with me?" I asked hopefully.

He shrugged. "The real world's much better anyway."

Giggling, I gently hit his chest with my free hand. "Liar!"

~🌸tbc.