[sp] when he's tired

My Boyfriend (나의 남자 친구)

RINI - My Favourite Clothes

Being a student relying on weekly allowance is something hard, and even harder if you want to surprise your girlfriend for her birthday (at least, with everything I have). I took a part-time job because of this. It was tiring as hell. But I didn't want to tell Chaeyoung that. I think she notices though.

After working my shift, I went to the university to see Chaeyoung. Her last class ends at five and I didn't have anything to do for the remaining two hours. Works for me, I guess.

I just studied for an upcoming test in Finance because Mr. Lee gives one hell of a test. I think he had a secret agenda to make everyone flunk his subject. I mean, the old man made it certain he'd do so with his unnerving smirks and condescending tone. Sometimes, I have the urge to hurl my binder right in the middle of his crooked nose.

Don't tell Chaeyoung that. She'll chastise me.

Studying hadn't been one of my best traits. In the middle of differentiating between the asset classes, my eyes were slowly closing. I tried to fight it off, I really did. But it won me over.

When I woke up, the outside sunlight in the library already receded into dark skies of blue.

'5:28,' my handphone read.

. Chaeyoung's class ended twenty minutes ago. I slid my thumb over the screen to call her. Before I could though, I noticed something on the desk. A cup of coffee. It had a note.

Don't bother taking me home today. Study well! ^^ - your always dazzling girlfriend

I chuckled. Your always dazzling girlfriend? I'm seriously rubbing off of her.

While taking a sip on the now lukewarm coffee (Doesn't matter. It was free and from her), I sent her a text.

'Where are you now?'

'Waiting at the bus stop. Why?'

'Wait for me.'

🔅🔆🔅

I must've smiled crazily as soon as I saw her sitting at the bus stop. She looked cute with her hunched back, slightly shivering, hiding herself from the cold. I want to keep her in my pockets forever. I didn't know if she was wearing her mittens (like I'd always tell her to do so). She gets easily cold, you see.

"Chaeyoung."

She smiled when she saw me. "Junhoe."

As soon as I approached her, I kissed the side of her head. "Why did you leave without waking me up?"

"Well... you seem to be caught studying. Plus, you look too cute sleeping so I didn't bother. And I told you, you don't have to take me home."

"Even though I know I look cute as hell, we had an agreement. Come on, aren't you happy to see your handsome boyfriend for today?"

Chaeyoung bit her lower lip, shaking her head at my remark. I find it cute when she does that. She's restraining herself from smiling, I know.

The bus already arrived before she can say anything. Good thing because she'd just tease me. She'd say something like, "Frankly, I don't think I miss you at all."

We sat at the middle row after tapping the bus passes. It was automatic that Chaeyoung sat by the windows first. She loved the view outside. Sometimes we'd go people watching when the bus gets stuck in traffic. On cold days, we'd draw silly things on the foggy window (she'd draw hearts while me, a badly-drawn chipmunk with an arrow pointed to her. She'll pinch my arm with that).

"How's your day?" I asked.

"I ate lunch with Jennie unnie today. She even treated me spicy rice cakes. You know, I thought of you when I ate it. You love spicy rice cakes so much, right?"

I never told this to anyone but I always wanted to hear her voice. It was like a medley of a favorite playlist I couldn't get enough of. Even then, I felt tired. I want to lay my head on her shoulder and sleep the whole journey away.

I sent her a smile. She shouldn't catch me tired. "That must've been real delicious."

Pretending wasn't my strong suit. She knows that. When her eyes glistened with worry, I knew then my act had to be up.

Her warm hand pushed my head to lean on her shoulder. "Sleep."

"No. Tell me about your day."

"I'll tell you tomorrow. For now, sleep."

I told her my decision was irreversible with one look. But she was as stubborn as me.

"Come on. You have dark bags, Junhoe. Do you know that your handsomeness decreases with this?"

I chuckled at her remark. Alright, I'll let this slide this time.

She pulled me on her shoulder again. I didn't argue anymore. In her embrace was the feeling of safety and comfort I craved badly these days. My eyes were closing on its own accord before I realize it.

Without knowing, I was whisked away in a beautiful slumber, a dream involving her and me in a near future I'd wish to exist someday.

🔅🔆🔅

I woke up with the sound of my girlfriend's voice. "Junhoe... my stop's here."

With a yawn, I replied, "We're here?"

"You still have another stop to go."

I was so half-awake that I found myself saying, "Why?"

Chaeyoung looked at me amused. "Because it's your stop?"

"Thanks for not laughing at my stupid question," I grumbled.

Her lips curled into a smile. "You're welcome. I tried not to." Patting my thigh, she continued, "I have to go, alright? Take care."

I stood up for her to get out. She sent me one last smile over her shoulder and a thought struck me. I didn't want to end the day like this. So before the doors closed, I went after her.

"Junhoe!" she yelped as soon as she saw me. "What are you doing? Did you forget something?"

"Yeah, I think you did."

She opened her bag. "What is it? Is it my handphone? I don't remember giving it to you though..."

I pursed my lips, unable to keep myself from playing around with her anymore, and kept her in my embrace. "You forgot this."

Rush hour was here. Buses would fill up in no time. Best scenario would be me having a walk trip to home. But I don't care. It was what I needed from a tiring day.

Ah. Hell. What am I saying? Fatigue is reducing me to be this kind of guy. I must've missed her so bad.

"You're tired," she mumbled. "Want me to give you a special offer for today?"

"What is it?"

"I'll give you my special power hug. They say they feel energized when I do so."

Deciding to humor her for a bit, I said, "And who is this 'they' you're talking about? Are they boys?"

"Silly guy... Mr. Goo, want to take up this one-time offer or not?"

"As long as it's free, I'll take it."

She hummed in disapproval. "It requires you to buy me lunch and a free ice cream. How is it? That's pretty much of a bargain, don't you think so?"

Again with the ice cream... Did she know she'll get sick if she continues like this? I tried telling her many times, but she wouldn't listen. She'll always throw me that 'ice cream owners should earn a living too' everytime I do so.

Nothing will stop this girl from getting what she wanted. Even with a hardheaded man like me, I couldn't win over her (then again, I must've subconsciously let myself lose with her) so I accepted.

"Call."

What Chaeyoung meant as a power hug was that she'd wrap her arms around me tight, her head nestled on my torso. It was real comforting.

"I know how hard it is to juggle work and school at the same time. So I understand if you can't spend time with me sometimes. You know that I still love you despite this, right?"

Calmness came over me when she said those words. Automatically, I smiled, even though she couldn't see.

Kissing the top of her head, I remarked, "I know."

My breath hitched when she raised her sight to meet mine. She had the most beautiful pair of eyes, didn't she know that?

There was a lot of things that I couldn't formulate in words. A thought struck me again, something that replayed like reality in my dreams. I felt a lot of things but only one would suffice. At least, for now.

"I love you," I whispered the only thing this moment wanted me to say, reserved only for her ears.

~🔅tbc.