.09

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jungkook entered the elevator even when it was already quite packed with people, she was reminded of the past. A pretty similar situation in which back then, he stood in front of her but now they were standing side by side, his arm brushing against hers for the slightest moment. She refused to chance a glance at him, eyes glued onto her feet most of the time when she recalled back the last conversation they had on the phone.

 

“If I told you yes, are you going to give up?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

If someone asked about it, she would deny it but only God knows how badly she wanted him to say ‘no’. Only God knows how desperate she was with the need of wanting to listen to him telling her that he wouldn’t give up no matter what. Only God knows how he made her feel even when she was so disappointed in him.

 

Once outside, they went their separate ways and she noticed that he was heading to a car with Hoseok on the driver’s seat. Not wanting either man to notice that she was looking their way, she looked away immediately and her eyes searched for Jennie but instead, they landed on Taehyung who was having an ice cream. Taehyung saw her, waved his hand at her and she offered him a smile that she hoped looked like a friendly smile but deep down she knew that it was merely a polite smile used mostly for works.

 

“What are you doing here? Don’t you have work?”

 

“I do,” he smiled down at her. “I just thought that I should get the ice cream I had the other day. It’s really good.” Taehyung had sort of developed likings toward the homemade ice cream sold at a booth just a few blocks down from where her apartment was.

 

“Here,” he pushed his hand that was holding a plastic bag. “Your favorite.”

 

She took it from him, peeked inside and a small grin decorated her face. She was about to say her thanks when she looked up at him but her eyes caught the sight of Hoseok’s car moving past them as she looked over Taehyung’s shoulder. She saw Jungkook looking right at her for only a few seconds before averting his eyes to somewhere else and the betrayed look on his face made all her insides felt guilt all of a sudden, although there was no reason why she would have to feel so.

 

“Are you all right?” Taehyung said, nudging her shoulder softly.

 

“Huh?” she blinked. “Oh. Yeah. Yes, I’m good. Thanks.” She lifted the plastic bag at him. “Have you seen Jennie? I’m gonna be late for work.”

 

“Where’s your car?” he asked with genuine concern. “Is it broken again?”

 

“No. I just don’t feel like driving today. Besides, I don’t have to go anywhere for the rest of the day. It will all be spent in the office anyway.”

 

Taehyung nodded. “I can send you if you want?” he offered.

 

She thought about it for a few moments. “No, it’s okay. I think she’ll be here in a minute,” she said with hope, flicking her wrist to check the time. “Aren’t you leaving for work?”

 

“I am leaving. Tell Jennie that I’ll be sending you to work.”

 

“You’re going to be late, Tae,” she chuckled softly.

 

“Well, I’m already late anyway. Come on. Hop in,” he told her after throwing away the ice cream.

 

She checked the time again and pressed her lips into a thin line. “Okay then.”

 

The song that played during the ride to her workplace didn’t help her much on getting Jungkook off her mind even for a bit. It was that very song he had sang to her, the latest song she had heard that managed to pull the tears out of her. She was so immersed in the song, her mind was busy reminiscing everything that she didn’t even realize that Taehyung was talking to her.

 

“Hey,” Taehyung nudged her arm. “Were you listening?”

 

“What?” she asked. Her eyes blinked a few times before she turned to him. “Sorry, what did you say?”

 

Taehyung looked at her for a moment, looking in between confused and wounded at the lack of attention she was giving him. He smiled nonetheless and focused back on the road. “My mom is inviting you to dinner tonight. You coming?”

 

As much as she enjoyed being around the older woman, she couldn’t help but feel like something was going on with all these sudden invitations to spend time with her. Taehyung’s mother wasn’t acting like this back when Chaeyoung was still with Taehyung. Sure, sometimes the older woman would come all the way just to visit her son, and maybe spend a little time on lunches or dinner with her but not so often even when she would be staying for a month or more.

 

Taehyung seemed to notice the hesitance in her as she mulled over it. “She wants to have dinner with the four of us. Jennie, Namjoon, you and me,” he said with a big smile.

 

At the mention of Jennie, her eyes lit up. “Are they coming too?”

 

“Of course,” he assured her. “Are you coming? If you’re not coming, I’ll tell my mom so she doesn’t need to cook that much.”

 

With soft nods and a warm smile, she looked at him and said, “Sure. I’ll come.”

 

*

 

Jungkook stared into the liquid in the glass he was holding. He moved the glass into a circular motion on the marbled counter, causing a light ripple before he brought the mouth of the glass to meet his lips. The alcohol burned his throat as it slid down and he sighed heavily as he placed the glass back on the counter. His other hand reached for the bottle, filled the glass and drank it again, except that he took them all in one shot this time around.

 

He turned his body around on the stool and watched the people around him. He saw his coworker, Yugyeom showing off his hidden talent to both males and females surrounding him. Yugyeom was dancing passionately and was actually applauded by a few people around him. Jungkook smiled at that sight and had an instant recall of the club, dancing, and Chaeyoung.

 

In the many memories of him with her, there was one when he was more than grateful to agree joining Hoseok and Yoongi hitting the club. Because that was where he met her again, and he was actually thanking his fate for letting him see her, interact with her and dance with her.

 

He took another glass and groaned quietly, his head was beginning to feel dizzy but he was sure he wasn’t that drunk yet. Jungkook had his elbow propped on the counter, his hand holding the glass when his other hand that was holding the bottle reached for his phone. He sipped on the alcohol ever so slowly as his thumb searched for that certain someone.

 

Carefully, he pressed the phone against his ear and struggled to open his eyes as he lowered his hand to put the glass carefully so that it didn’t fall from his grasp.

 

“Hello?”

 

Jungkook felt his heart lifted upon hearing the different tone she had used on him. Chaeyoung had previously sounded as though she was reluctant to answer his call, but now she even picked it up after just one ring, and she had sounded happy when she said her hello.

 

But then there was a faint sound of a male laughing at the background, and his heart sank. Who else if it wasn’t Kim Taehyung? Jungkook let out a breath and thought he had responded to her but when she repeated with a mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter