.14

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: apologies for the late update. i hope i've fixed the errors. 

 

She had been thinking a lot over Jungkook and his worry. It had slowly grew in her that she had started worrying so much, so much that it was getting harder for her to get a sleep. Talking to Jungkook on the phone didn’t help to completely rid the shared worry that had been swirling inside her head. There was no debating when Chaeyoung texted him first to ask him what he was doing and despite the smile she had on her face when he called her instead of replying to her text, she was still bothered by his dream.

 

They talked for quite some time on the phone, topics were mostly about recent songs they enjoyed and each of them sang to each other; she sang to him a small portion of the song if he hadn’t heard of it and vice versa. It was like back to square one, when they were strangers to each other who were about to learn about one another. It was a wonderful feeling nevertheless, and every single time he called out her name through the phone with a soft and warm voice, sometimes it was almost melodic and soothing, it made her smile nonstop to the point that she had to bite her lip to stop herself.

 

When the call finally ended, she released a long sigh and the longing for him just doubled in an instant. She put her phone away, and her eyes stared straight ahead at her closet. For a split second, she wondered what it was that was making her uneasy but then it clicked almost immediately when she was reminded of the dress Taehyung had bought for her to wear during Namjoon’s proposal in a few days.

 

Namjoon’s proposal reminded her of weddings, and weddings reminded her of what Jungkook’s dream was.

 

She wanted some clarity before the worst could happen. The longer she sat on her bed, the more uneasy she felt. Chaeyoung slid off the bed and stepped out of her bedroom once she grabbed her purse. She took her car key with her and headed to Taehyung’s house.

 

*

 

Jungkook heard his doorbell was ringing endlessly while he was just out of his shower. Just as he wrapped his towel around his lower body, his phone rang in his bedroom. He rushed out and literally threw himself on the bed to reach his phone on the bedside table. It was Chaeyoung and at the same time he slid his thumb to answer her call, he looked at his door, slowly standing up straight.

 

“Chaeyoung?” he said quickly to the phone.

 

“Please open the door,” she breathed and Jungkook didn’t need to be told twice as he practically ran while holding his towel to not let it fall.

 

His hand slammed onto the doorknob and he pulled the door open, his breath stuck to his throat and his hand that was holding the phone fell to his side upon seeing Chaeyoung’s face damped with fresh tears and her eyes were red.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked softly, his free hand reaching out to touch her shoulder. “Come inside.”

 

She was holding on her breath and choked on her sobs in the doorway. Lowering her head, he felt her body slightly shook as she cried there. She said something incoherently and Jungkook furrowed his brows, trying to listen closely to know what she was talking about but he failed. He lowered his head as he her hair.

 

“It’s true, Jungkook,” she said as he looped an arm around her shoulder to drag her inside.

 

Confused, Jungkook put his phone on the small table next to the door quickly and turned his attention on her immediately. “What’s true?” he asked just before he pushed her gently to take a seat on the couch. Jungkook sat next to her with his arm was still on her shoulder. When Chaeyoung wouldn’t say anything, despite the curiosity rising up within him, Jungkook just squeezed her shoulder and pulled her closer to him.

 

He held his breath when she leaned her head on his shoulder and her arms began to find his waist. They sat there doing nothing but pulling each other close as she sobbed quietly. It was minutes later when she finally calmed down that she pulled herself away from him, and he reluctantly let it happen as he took his arm off her shoulder as well.

 

Chaeyoung buried her face in her palms and her hair fell like curtains closing in. Jungkook gently pushed her hair to behind her ear and her head softly. Just as he was about to ask her again what exactly happened, she lifted her head and faced forward, letting her hands fall to her lap before she began, “Taehyung wants me to marry him.”

 

At that moment, Jungkook felt as though the ground was shifting beneath him, perhaps, ready to swallow him whole.

 

*

 

Chaeyoung knocked on the door impatiently when the three times she pressed on the doorbell didn’t alarm Taehyung from inside. When she lifted her hand again to punch against the door, the barrier swung open slowly, revealing Taehyung’s mother wearing a confused expression before it morphed into a warm smile.

 

“Chaeyoung,” she said it softly with the warm smile broadening on her face. “Here to see Taehyung?”

 

Taehyung’s mother looked like she was about to go out with the purse she was holding close to her chest and the light makeup she had on her face.

 

“Um,” Chaeyoung swallowed and tried to pull a smile but she couldn’t so she nodded and lowered her eyes. “Yes. There’s something I want to talk about.”

 

“He’s just done showering and will be out in a minute. I was getting ready to go out, need to buy some groceries for him.” His mother sighed and shook her head with a motherly smile as their eyes met. “I don’t know how he can go for months without eating proper meals cooked at home.”

 

Chaeyoung shifted uncomfortably on the floor when his mother put a hand on her arm and squeezing it tenderly. “But I won’t worry much since he got you to –”

 

“Chaeyoung!” Taehyung’s voice greeted from far inside the house, cutting his mother’s words before his figure appeared. He walked to them and slung an arm on her mother’s shoulder.

 

Taehyung’s mother’s smile didn’t falter but widened instead as Chaeyoung noticed she was looking back and forth between Chaeyoung and her son. “Oh, well I should leave you two here while I go and shop.”

 

“I said let me do the grocery shopping, mom,” Taehyung told his mom, pulling her close to him.

 

She smiled warmly and shook her head, giving his son a look next. “It’s not even far from here. I can manage it on my own. What do you want to eat today, Tae?”

 

Taehyung seemed to consider it for a moment before he nodded softly at his mother. “You know I eat just about anything you cook, mom. Just not the beans, I don’t want any beans,” he said, scrunching his face at the word ‘beans’, his head gave the word’s repetition a tiny shake.

 

“I know that,” his mother rolled her eyes playfully. “Alright, I’ll get going.”

 

“Careful, mom,” Taehyung said with warmness in his voice.

 

She let out a small laughter as a response for his son’s concern and managed to pat and pull Chaeyoung’s shoulder to get her inside the house before she went away, closing the door behind her.

 

“What brings you by?” Taehyung asked with that unending smile on his face, turning on his heels to walk into the kitchen while she stayed rooted at where she was.

 

Taking the deepest breath, Chaeyoung exhaled loudly next and immediately asked, “I thought we’re friends?”

 

He turned around briefly to look at her before heading towards the fridge to retrieve a bottle of juice. With a chuckle, he asked, “Why are you asking me that? Of course we’re friends.”

 

She was clearly not satisfied with his answer because behind it all, there was definitely something else. “Taehyung, to make things clear with you, when I said I want to be friends, I just want to be friends and that’s where the limit is. There is no way this would develop into something more. No way.”

 

Taehyung finally turned his whole body slowly, the smile on his face had faded and he gave nothing to respond.

 

“I’m asking you one last time, are we friends?” she asked with a desperate tone in her voice as she spoke.

 

“Yes,” he replied.

 

“Then be honest with me when I ask you,” she said sternly. This would be embarrassing if it turned out false but the endless dream Jungkook had and the unsettling feeling she’d been having had convinced her. “Is it true that you’re planning on proposing to me, Tae?”

 

He stayed silent for the longest time and she felt her impatience was taking over. She walked over to him and said, “Taehyung, answer me.”

 

He inhaled deeply, looking away as his jaw clenched. “Where did you get that info?”

 

“It doesn’t matter where. Answer my question.”

 

The corner of his lips pulled into a smirk before he looked her straight in the eyes. “It’s supposed to be a surprise,” he said softly, followed with a light brief chuckle.

 

“It’s…true?”

 

“Yes. That’s exactly my plan.”

 

Her fist clenched on her side and she felt her teeth biting on her lower lip hard. “Why?”

 

He displayed a warm smile then, and put down the glass as he slowly made his way towards her to get even closer. “Chaeyoung, how many times do I have to tell you that I really do love you? Why else would I want to propose to you?”

 

Unable to hold back her anger that suddenly existed, she yelled, “We agreed to be just friends!”

 

“Chaeyoung –” he tried to calm her down, reaching his hand towards her but she backed away.

 

“Don’t give me all the crap about love, Taehyung! I’ve told you many times that I don’t want to get back to you. If you really did love me you wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter