.03

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I swear to God, I know nothing about it,” Jennie said after Chaeyoung told her about Taehyung showing up at her house. “I swear I never told him where you live even when he asked.”

 

Chaeyoung fixed her eyes on the people walking outside the café they were in. She had her expression flat, almost seemed robotic as though there was no soul left in her body. Breathing out calmly, she said, “I’m not accusing you.” When she did turn to look at her friend, she blinked once and swallowed the lump in . “I just wanted to know why you can’t educate your so-called smart boyfriend. He should know that he should never break his promise to not expose where my house at to his best friend.”

 

Jennie looked taken aback but remained calm as she took that moment to stay silent when usually, she would definitely busy herself defending her boyfriend. Chaeyoung herself felt suffocated whenever there was a tension between her and her best friend but she was so pissed at everything that she refused to do anything to lighten up the mood.

 

“I know that Namjoon probably think that’s him being a good friend to Taehyung, but Jennie, for the last time, educate him as hard as you can about cheating and broken trusts. Since he knows and understands his best friend, I’m pretty sure that if he finally understands about cheating and broken trusts, he can finally understand why I refuse to let Taehyung, of all people, know where I live in the first place.”

 

She knew from Jennie’s facial expression that she understood it very well but still, she wanted to make it clear that the blame was definitely not on her. With a sad sigh, she lowered her eyes. “It’s not your fault and I don’t blame you for this, Jen. It might seem like it but no, I don’t. I’m relying on you to make Namjoon understand.”

 

Her best friend nodded her head to show how she completely understood the weight of the situation Namjoon had caused. “I’m still sorry,” Jennie said softly and reached for her hand. Although she was not in the mood to tell Jennie the whole thing, the small gesture made her feel relaxed and she was glad she had her best friend.

 

Both of them said nothing while they were on their way to her house. It was Jennie who broke the silence and Chaeyoung silently thanked her for that. “If he keeps bothering you, just tell me. Okay?” Jennie told her when they reached her house.

 

Chaeyoung gave her friend a quick small smile that she was sure was unnoticed. She plopped herself on her bed and checked on any schedule she had for the next day when Jennie suddenly asked her a question that made the hold on her phone grow tighter.

 

“Where’s Jungkook anyway?” Jennie asked, sitting on the other side of the bed.

 

Instead of giving her friend a proper reply, she shrugged and quickly stood up, trying to get away from her friend’s question when she felt her lower lip started to pout. Jennie seemed to know that something wasn’t right when she quickly grasped Chaeyoung’s wrist before she could go far.

 

“What happened?”

 

She blew hot air through her nose and felt that her lips would tremble if she let them separate from each other. Even so, they did without her consent as she muttered her reply. “We broke up.”

 

Jennie’s hold only grew tighter as she pulled it towards her and Chaeyoung closed her eyes as she predicted what would happen next when she let herself get pulled by her friend.

 

“What exactly happened?” Jennie asked again sternly, sounding in between a mother and a caring older sister.

 

Chaeyoung kept mum until Jennie mentioned her full name, urging her to tell what happened to the relationship she had with Jeon Jungkook. All her predictions came true and even accurate as it happened in sequence.

 

First, she told her best friend everything from A to Z. Second, she realized that she was actually crying. And third, her best friend was fuming.

 

*

 

Jungkook sat the food he had bought for his friends and took a seat next to Yoongi on the couch. He had been spending his time at Yoongi’s workshop whenever he felt lonely, which was most of the time. His friends knew that he’d just broken up with Chaeyoung, but they never knew what caused it to happen. Jungkook chose to remain silent every single time Hoseok asked him, always brushing it off with ‘Nothing’.

 

On that day, while Hoseok was busy working on a car, it was as if his tongue had been unlocked when he finally let his friends know what happened in the past few weeks. He knew what to expect from Yoongi; the man would stare at him with no emotion written on his face and he would tell Jungkook how relationship made people stupid. He expected Hoseok to sympathize him a little and would give him encouragement next.

 

Instead of that, Hoseok just stood there, leaning against the car with his hands shoved into the pockets of his pants with disbelief masking his face.

 

“Aren’t you going to say something?” Jungkook asked hesitantly because Hoseok staring for a while without a single word coming out of his mouth was kind of weird and not a common thing to happen.

 

He heard Yoongi scoffed next to him before the male said, “He doesn’t need to say anything, if you’re smart enough you should be able to see everything on his face.”

 

Jungkook rolled his eyes and chewed on the gum he’d been holding with his fingers. “Well, newsflash Yoongi, I’m not smart.”

 

Hoseok sighed out loud and chuckled for one good second before his annoyed face made an appearance again. “Until when are you going to stop ing up your relationship?”

 

Jungkook scrunched his face up. “Hoseok, this is like the first time I did it, alright?”

 

“No, it’s not the first time. You see, you make people get tired of you without knowing.”

 

“What –”

 

Hoseok put a hand up to stop him from talking. “Okay, even if it’s the first time, you think it’s fine that it happened?”

 

“I never said it’s fine!”

 

Hoseok shook his head and wiped his stained palms with an already dirty rag. “Do you know how childish you were? Look, I’m not backing her up. I’m not saying what she did was right, she said some mean stuff but it was kind of understandable. It was the time of the month, women do get mood swings and I think you’ve seen my sister went all crazy with the things she said when she and her boyfriend had a fight in front of us, right? So you should know and you should expect that!”

 

Jungkook looked away and leaned his head against the backrest.

 

“And about her kissing someone else, okay, I’d be mad too, but honestly, your assumptions are all weird to me. I don’t know if you realize it or not, since the moment you got in a relationship with her, you spent almost all of your time with her. We didn’t even get to hang out as much like before because you were on her all the damn time. And for the first time, Yoongi com

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter