.07

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been almost an hour and Jungkook hadn’t been able to properly finish the work assigned to him. He saw her today in his office. Everything was going according to plan after many times wasted trying to brainstorm new ideas for Bang Sihyuk’s office and the smile on her face was so wide as she strode away, a sigh of relief made out of her lips, her arms hugging the files she had and Jungkook didn’t need to get close to know that her eyes were gleaming with joy.

 

He should be happy for her, but he wasn’t.

 

He couldn’t get happy for her because the sight of Chaeyoung with Taehyung never left his mind. He even had a dream of him watching Chaeyoung in a white dress with Taehyung standing beside her. He awoke with sweats as though it was a terrifying nightmare.

 

Jungkook had hoped for her to grab a simple meal in the cafeteria like she used to before going off somewhere, but when he went there, she was nowhere in sight. He felt his heart clenched as he mulled over the thought of her heart had been occupied by someone else who wasn’t him.

 

Perhaps, Taehyung did change for the better after all. If he didn’t, there would be no way she would let him in for the second time. Jungkook lowered his eyes as he seated himself on his chair, all the plans he had formed in his head now seemed useless.

 

*

 

“What’s this for?” Jennie asked, eyeing her suspiciously.

 

“Did you win a lottery or something?” Namjoon asked, taking a piece of meat into his mouth.

 

Chaeyoung smiled warmly, taking a spoonful of rice into . “Remember the fussy client I was talking about?”

 

Namjoon didn’t spare her a glance, concentration was fully on the food in front of him. Jennie on the other hand stopped chewing for a moment, giving her full attention on Chaeyoung as she nodded lightly. “Yeah, what’s with him?”

 

Her hands clasped on the small space of the table before her. “Finally, like finally, he is satisfied and I can start working on his personal office. Probably the biggest burden’s off of my shoulder.”

 

“And so you’re treating us?” Namjoon asked for confirmation and she nodded as a response. “Then you should have invited Taehyung to celebrate the loss of your stress.”

 

Chaeyoung’s chopsticks stayed in before she pulled it out completely, the smile she had on her face dropped and was replaced with a soft frown. When she lifted her eyes to look at Jennie, the latter was sighing next to Namjoon as if she was tired and annoyed. Her eyes drifted to Namjoon who was already looking back at her with an unimpressed expression evident on his face.

 

“What?” Namjoon questioned, feigning innocence. “You made up with him. You even had a dinner with him recently.”

 

Jennie raised an eyebrow questioningly at her and Chaeyoung stared at her friend for a while, letting a sigh escaped her freely and loudly as she threw a glance at something else. “It’s not like what you think.”

 

“What’s not like what we think?” Namjoon pushed. “Come on, I’m not going to embarrass you for finally eating back your words about him. I’ve always known that you two will always end up –”

 

“It’s nothing like that. Nothing special about it,” she cut him off. “Dream all you want.”

 

Namjoon scoffed and let a smirk painted his face. “Why do you even agree to go to the dinner with him if it’s nothing special?”

 

“I wanted to make things clear for him.”

 

“You’re just in denial.”

 

“Stop it, Namjoon,” Jennie warned, placing a hand on her boyfriend’s arm.

 

“Fine, fine,” he threw his hands in the air. He pushed the chair he was sitting on backwards, it screeched on the floor and he stood up.

 

“Where are you going?” Jennie asked.

 

“I need to pee,” he said before he left.

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes fixated on the food she didn’t have the appetite to finish. She knew what her friend was thinking, it was probably just the same like what Namjoon had in mind. But it was far from that. She was telling them the truth. She wanted nothing but for Taehyung to understand out of the dinner they had the other night.

 

“His mom came,” Jennie said gently. When Chaeyoung looked up, Jennie looked hesitant to look into her eyes. “We went to fetch her yesterday. She asked about you.”

 

She froze in her seat. Taehyung’s mom came and she didn’t know what she was supposed to feel about it. “What did you guys tell her?”

 

“I told her you’re fine and she asked why you haven’t contacted her for so long. She missed you.”

 

She took a sip of her drink and leaned back. Her brows knitted in confusion. She felt her heart twist at the unpleasant feeling she was having when she heard that. Even after the breakup long ago, Taehyung’s mom hadn’t lost her fondness for her and she almost felt guilty for it. Even after her son got dumped by Chaeyoung, she still looked for her. The older female had been nothing but nice to Chaeyoung for as long as they had known each other, treating her like her own child. She felt bad for not contacting Taehyung’s mom just because her relationship had ended with Taehyung.

 

“Maybe you should give her a call, you know,” Jennie told her.

 

Chaeyoung nodded her head softly yet still wrapped up with uncertainty. “Why’s she here, though?” she asked, curious.

 

“I don’t know,” Jennie shrugged. “Namjoon told me that Tae had been quite busy recently. So maybe Taehyung hadn’t gone back in a while so she wanted to give him a visit ‘cause she missed him. You know how close-knitted they are as a family.”

 

Chaeyoung wondered how she was going to start talking to Taehyung’s mom. Would it be awkward? Would the older female show disappointment when they meet? It had been a while, though, so she doubted it.

 

*

 

Jungkook was fumbling with his keys as he walked behind Yoongi. The latter was busy trying to decide if he should purchase juice or some beer to fill in his fridge. They would be gathering at Yoongi’s place for that night, some sad movies for both of the older males while Jungkook would be spending the time he had for some game. He hadn’t been playing for a while now that his works had been stacking. He needed some time to get his mind off the worries that had been swirling around his head.

 

Moments later, Hoseok called him with a whisper from behind and spoke in a low voice. “I heard some guy and an older woman talking about Chaeyoung, I don’t know if it’s your Chaeyoung or someone else.”

 

Jungkook heaved a sigh and shrugged. “So?”

 

“Nothing,” Hoseok said after studying his face. “I just thought you would be curious. Who knows that guy is the one you’ve been talking about. Who was it again?”

 

“Kim Taehyung.”

 

Hoseok’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter