.13

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her fingers ran lightly against the scratches on her knee. A faint smile began to make its way onto her countenance as she stared at it longer. She recalled having to ‘chase’ Jungkook out of her house just to make sure that she was fine and that she could clean the wound on her own. At night, Jungkook had called her and asked if the wound was healing alright and she had chuckled into the phone, telling a lame joke on how her skin was already silky smooth.

 

Chaeyoung released a long, soft sigh as she let these recent memories to swirl in her mind. They were all hinting at how positive things had been. Though there would be times when she felt as though she would be suffocated with an overwhelming feeling of awkwardness, Jungkook’s effort on making things just like before made it easy for her to rid of those feelings slowly. She was surprised that she could easily let a chuckle escape her and even went as far as making lame jokes with him now.

 

It hadn’t turn exactly like how things were when they were still dating, but she appreciated these little changes all the same. To have their relationship to go back just like how it was before their fight, before the split, that would be a tough process and it surely wouldn’t be fruitful in one night. Somehow, the slow process made everything seemed more precious and it made her appreciate even the slightest moment they had.

 

However, among the many sweet moments she had with him recently, what he told her during the day she got her knee scraped bothered her.

 

Jungkook said that he overheard Taehyung talking about the proposal with his mother. No one other than him, Namjoon and Chaeyoung was supposed to know about the small event they were preparing for Namjoon to propose to Jennie. Not their family members, not their friends. Even the family members of the couple would have to be those who would get surprised even when both sides approved of the relationship.

 

So why did Taehyung tell his mother about the existence of the proposal? Did she actually know for real when she asked both Namjoon and Jennie when they would settle down? This was all pretty ridiculous since Taehyung was the one who suggested that only the three of them who would know exactly about the plan and even the existence of the proposal and the ring, minus the staff that they would be using.

 

She gulped at the next question popping up in her mind.

 

Was Jungkook’s assumption right?

 

*

 

When the door opened and he was greeted with a small yet genuine smile, Jungkook gave another proof of how smile was as contagious as laughter was. The smile on his face widened just as the door was opened wider. Chaeyoung stood in front of him, arms crossing over her chest before she leaned against the doorframe and her eyes landed on the thing he was holding with a hand.

 

“What brings you by?” she asked, lifting her brow questioningly although he knew she knew what reason brought him there.

 

“I forgot that I am on a diet, so do you mind sharing it with me?” he lifted the pizza box slightly and looked at her with expectant eyes.

 

Her smile seemed to drop after he told her that and she stood straighter, eyes went from his to the box in his hand. “Why are you on a diet?”

 

That sounded a lot like concern and it managed to pull a smile on his face. Looking at her softly, Jungkook took a little step forward and said, “I’m not. I just thought I wanted to share these with you.”

 

He noticed her tongue darted out briefly to wet her lips before she gave a soft sigh at him with that same small smile of hers that never failed to captivate him. Taking steps backward, she cocked her head, inviting him in. “Come on in, then.”

 

They sat on different couches; Jungkook on the single couch while she seated herself on the longer one. They kept their eyes busy with the TV while their mouths and hands on the food. None said any word but Jungkook could say that this was the kind of silence that was way better than any silence they had experienced in the past weeks. He wouldn’t say that this was comfortable because he got things he wanted to say, but then it wasn’t giving him any discomfort at the same time so it was more than okay to have it draped around them as they devoured the pizza.

 

When they were both done eating, Jungkook finally found the words he had formed in his head, just waiting to be said towards her but somehow lost while they were busy satisfying their nonexistent hunger.

 

“Can I tell you something weird?” he began as he shifted his focus to her very slowly.

 

She tore her eyes from the TV and blinked at him curiously. “Sure.”

 

Jungkook inhaled as much as he could as the thoughts of the dream consumed his head. The dream hadn’t stopped, even until at that moment and he felt like he should worry about it. “Remember when I told you about the dream I had of you…” he paused, swallowing hard, “of you marrying Taehyung?”

 

Her lips slightly parted and she stared at him for seconds that felt like ages. Before he could assume that she had forgotten it, she nodded her head and softly replied with a ‘Yes’.

 

“I told you that I kept having that dream, didn’t I?”

 

She hummed and lightly nodded.

 

“Wasn’t it supposed to stop when you tell me that you’re not getting married?” he asked with a lift of his brow. When she didn’t answer him –he didn’t expect her to have that answer –he told her, “I keep having that nightmare, Chaeyoung. I woke up this morning with that same nightmare and I don’t know why.”

 

Jungkook stared at the sight of Chaeyoung breathing in calmly as she took every bit of information he had just told her with deeply furrowed brows. Probably she was thinking of why he was even telling her that. It wasn’t as though she could do something about nightmares. The majority of him trusted her when she told him that there was no wedding going on that would involve her, but then that tiny part of him was curious of the opposite.

 

He, however, kept mum when his insides were screaming orders at him to ask her about it again. Silence filled in before Jungkook parted his lips to let a question roll of his tongue. He inhaled as hesitancy began to surround him, yet he found his voice and courage to ask her, changing the topic. “How’s your knee?”

 

Her teeth bit onto her lower lip softly and she let out a warm smile. “It’s healing just fine.”

 

“Can I have a look at it?”

 

She looked a little surprised but smiled nonetheless, giving him approval as she pushed her knee a little forward and turned her body slightly to face him. He gave her a light snort and quickly stood to his feet, making his way towards where she was sitting as he said, “I can’t really see.”

 

Jungkook sat right next to her, their thighs almost touching as she hesitantly shifted beside him. Not wasting any time, he placed a hand onto her knee, his thumb grazing it in the softest way possible

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter