.11

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook’s head throbbed when he sat up on the bed. He looked around him. He was in his room. His mind gave him images of the club, and glasses and bottles in front of him. But he couldn’t remember what happened next. By the state of him right now, he knew he was drunk last night. But how the hell did he get home?

 

It would be impossible for him to drive himself home in the state of being drunk.

 

When he walked out of his bedroom, he saw his two best friends watching the TV. One was on the couch while the other was splayed on the floor. He shut his eyes briefly and breathed out in relief. “Hey, guys,” he croaked.

 

Hoseok and Yoongi turned to him at the same time and both of them didn’t greet him with a smile on the faces. That was almost normal for Yoongi but it wasn’t for Hoseok. Nevertheless, he scratched the back of his head and sat on the couch next to Hoseok.

 

“Thanks, man,” he muttered.

 

Hoseok rolled his eyes and said lowly, “Do you know what kind of trouble you could get into?”

 

“I know,” he replied briefly with no hint of interest at all for these types of question.

 

“Do you know what kind of trouble you got us into last night trying to look for you?” Hoseok asked again.

 

Yoongi scoffed on the floor, focusing back on the TV. “Man, I can’t believe I wasted my sleeping time to look for your .”

 

Jungkook frowned deeply and scoffed louder than Yoongi. “Hey, I never complained of all the troubles you guys got me into when you guys were the ones who were drunk,” he shot back.

 

The three of them went silent before Hoseok said, “Anyway, don’t thank me.”

 

Jungkook raised an eyebrow before his eyes landed on Yoongi. “Thanks, Yoongi.”

 

Yoongi didn’t look away from the TV, propping his head on his palm as he lay on his side. “Don’t thank me.”

 

“Guys, I know I wasn’t supposed to do that last night. Sorry for troubling you two but what’s so hard about receiving my thanks?”

 

Yoongi and Hoseok exchanged a look before the both of them laughed. Yoongi shook his head softly, brought his body up so he was sitting on the floor before he told him, “We didn’t mean it that way. You should be thanking someone else instead, not us.”

 

“Yugyeom? He brought me home?”

 

Hoseok gave him a look of disbelief, scowling at him and looked like he was so pissed at what Jungkook had just said. “No, not him, you . Thank that person living above you.”

 

*

 

 

Chaeyoung hadn’t ridden a bike in a long time. It was one of the activities she had enjoyed doing whenever stress took over. The feeling of having her legs moving, her feet pressing against the pedals, and the wind that would blow against her hair and skin; they were all wonderful feelings that she hadn’t been able to feel lately.

 

In the early morning of that day, she had brought down her bicycle that hadn’t been used in a while and started to cycle around the neighborhood. She started from around her apartment before cycling farther. The sky was still dark when she started and so there weren’t a lot of people around. Just some drunken old men walking around with bottles in hands, trying their best to assure themselves that they were sober. A small smile pulled at her face; it reminded her of Jungkook two days ago.

 

Pushing him to the back of her mind, she cycled much faster towards a small bridge. She closed her eyes, relishing that wonderful feeling of every strands of her hair pulled back by the wind. The coldness of the morning air refreshed her body, forgetting how she had been quick to feel tired for being unfit these days. It felt like before, when all problems didn’t exist and all she could feel was contentment.

 

She giggled in delight as she went down the bridge, letting her hands off the handle, completely unaware of her surroundings as she let her eyes flutter opened. It was probably too late to realize that there was someone crouching down on the pavement just a few steps away from the bridge trying to tie shoelaces.

 

“Watch out!” she yelled.

 

“Whoa!” He threw his body backwards.

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes widened as she tried to steer the bike away from him. Her frantic heartbeat made her forget about the existence of the brake that she should press nor did she remember to put down her legs. It was when she almost hit a bench that she heard someone running from behind before she felt a hand slammed onto the backseat of the bike. A hand then quickly came to hold hers on the handle and a strong arm wrapped around her waist in a protective manner when she almost fell from the bike. When she turned to her left where the person was, she breathed hard as she stared into his eyes.

 

Jungkook was staring back at her and she didn’t know what to do other than blink and trying to catch her breath. Jungkook being the one who had saved her from falling off didn’t help her heart to calm down behind her chest.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked. She wetted her lips for a moment, nodding her head lightly with her eyes still locked on his.

 

“Thank you,” she breathed and looked down to where her shoulder had met his chest. She looked up again, inspected his face then down to his neck, to his chest, to his shoulders, to his arm. “I’m really sorry. Are you hurt somewhere?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Okay.” She tried to drift her eyes away from his but the only place her eyes would look at was his lips when they were this close. She noticed stubbles on his chin as well. When she looked back up at him, his eyes were lowered, seeming like he was looking at something else that she suspected was her lips and she cleared , moving slightly before he snapped out of his thoughts.

 

Jungkook blinked and let go of her waist and hand, and she felt so vacant at the places he had held before. “Sorry.”

 

Neither said anything but the silence was able to make them somehow ‘read’ each other’s movements. When Jungkook went to sit at the bench she almost crashed into, she followed him and parked her bike beside where she was seated.

 

It was as though it was a crucial need to even say anything to break the silence. She didn’t need to. She could have just cycle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter