.17

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook felt his face tore into two as his smile broadened on his face when Chaeyoung agreed to ride his car to go to work. When Chaeyoung walked towards him while he was waiting for her to pick her up from work, she was smiling at him and that brought another big smile onto his face. Unable to hold back, he reached for her hand which she gladly took as he opened the car door for her.

 

Just before he went out of the elevator as they stood close to each other, his fingers searched for her hand on his side and as soon as he touched her skin, he grabbed her hand softly and turned to look at her.

 

“I haven’t had dinner with you for years,” he said and the elevator door slid close but he quickly pushed the button again while still staying inside, not bothering to move his foot even an inch.

 

“Years?” Chaeyoung laughed softly and looked into his eyes. “Sure.”

 

“It felt like it,” he smiled and played with her long fingers. The door was sliding to close and this time, Chaeyoung was the one to push the button to open.

 

She lowered her eyes for a moment before looking back right at him. “So are you saying you want to take me to dinner, then?”

 

The door slid to a close and he lifted his hand to push the button. “Which one do you like? My food or your favorite restaurant’s food?”

 

She made a thinking face and averted her attention to the buttons in the elevator but Jungkook quickly pushed the button again and let his thumb linger there.

 

“Which one?” he asked, stepping closer towards her with a smile and when that pulled a soft giggle out of her, he felt as though he could soar in the sky, wingless.

 

“My favorite restaurant’s food, I guess?”

 

Jungkook furrowed his brows playfully with narrowed eyes. “Oh, you just hurt me.”

 

Her eyes were glistening when she asked him with a soft smile, “Did I?”

 

He stared at her long with a smile, and he bit his lip as his face leaned closer towards hers. “Yeah I think you did,” he whispered. And slowly, Jungkook leaned down, eyes slowly fluttered to close, ready to claim her lips. His hand that was holding hers loosened before he lifted it and slid it to her neck, cupping it gently. Before he completely closed his eyes, he noticed her head slightly tilted and she had closed her eyes and Jungkook was just so ready for it.

 

He would be able to taste her lips again, and drown himself in the simple pleasure that came with maybe just a simple kiss… if it hadn’t been for the loud, dramatic cough of an elderly woman standing outside of the elevator. There were also soft gasps coming from little children.

 

Chaeyoung immediately backed away and tucked her hair to behind her ear, and Jungkook let go of her neck, using that hand to push against the wall as he scrunched up his face and held back a smile. He turned his head away for a moment before he stood up straight, scratching the back of his neck.

 

“I’ll call you,” he said softly with a grin, ignoring the light nagging the old woman was doing while she entered with her grandchildren. Jungkook chewed on his lip as he stepped out and stayed there to see the door closing while his eyes locked onto Chaeyoung’s before her smile widened and she looked down.

 

“Hey,” he said into the phone around a minute after he got inside his house. “You’re already inside?”

 

“On my way.”

 

“Did she say anything to you?” Jungkook asked, laughing lightly.

 

“No,” she giggled and Jungkook swore he could listen to that giggle and everything would be alright again. “But I could feel her staring at me the whole time I was there.”

 

“Where is she going, though? She might have entered the wrong one if she wanted to go down,” he chuckled, putting his jacket away on the couch as he took a seat.

 

“Well, if I’m not mistaken, the kids live on the floor above me. They just moved here like two weeks ago and she lives on the first floor. Maybe she’s sending them back to the parents.”

 

Jungkook nodded and hummed softly. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, smiling at the ceiling as the image of her etched onto his eyelids. “So… dinner with me, is it on?”

 

He could tell that she was smiling when she replied him. ”Okay.” A moment later, she asked, “And where are we going to have dinner?”

 

Jungkook thought for a while. “I haven’t decided but maybe we’ll have it in your favorite restaurant since you hate my food,” he playfully responded with a little pout although she couldn’t see.

 

“I was kidding!” she laughed, defending herself. “I didn’t say I hate it.”

 

His lips twisted into a smile that slowly widened. “So you like my food then?”

 

“Well, it’s not bad.”

 

“If that’s the case, then shall we have dinner at my house? Like… like before?” he asked softly and waited with anticipation.

 

There was a short silence before she replied with a voice barely above whisper, “Sure.”

 

“It’s definitely not tomorrow,” Jungkook chuckled and she returned it with her own. “But I’ll let you know when, okay?”

 

“Alright. Good night, Jungkookie…”

 

Jungkook bit his lip with that widening smile on his face. Jungkookie, he repeated in his mind. “Good night, Chaeyoungie. If you want to dream,” he paused and in a whisper, he continued, “dream of me.” Jungkook didn’t know if she did dream of him while she got herself lost in sleep, but he did have a dream of her. Except that this time around, when he awoke in the morning, not an ounce of worry existed within him because there was no hint of wedding in his dream.

 

*

 

The week had been a busy week for Chaeyoung. It had been spent mostly on monitoring the work being done in Bang Sihyuk’s office and although she could easily meet up with Jungkook over there, she couldn’t really do it. Jungkook himself was busy with the loads of paperwork he needed to get done. As she was watching him from far, a faint smile pulled at her face. To see him being immersed in getting his task done was so satisfying that she got so lost in it, up to the point of not realizing that someone was actually talking to her.

 

Chaeyoung snapped out of her little train of thoughts when the tall guy next to him coughed a little bit too loud and exaggerating that it caught everyone’s attention. She looked up at him and questioned his need in silence by raising her brow slightly. Yugyeom smiled down at her, a cheeky smile indeed and winked next.

 

“You sure you don’t want to go and sit at my place for a while?” he asked with a cute giggle.

 

Yugyeom’s cubicle was just next to Jungkook’s and Chaeyoung glanced at it for a moment just to have her eyes locked onto Jungkook who was already looking at her. Despite him being someone whom she could consider a person she was really close to that they had shared intimate moments together, Jungkook never failed to bring the shyness out of her whenever he gave her a long and soft stare from far.

 

Her smile thrown at him was small and shy before she looked down quickly at her feet and muttered, “What for?”

 

Yugyeom snorted then, and crossed his arm as he waited for the printer before him to finish printing out some documents for him. “You’ve been staring at him for a while. I thought you might want to talk to him.”

 

“He’s busy, I don’t think engaging in conversations right now is a good idea. I can talk to him later if I need to.”

 

“Are things okay between you two now?” he asked suddenly when she had averted her attention back to the people working inside Bang Sihyuk’s office.

 

She held her breath for one short second, curled her lips inward and nodded softly. She didn’t think Jungkook had told everyone of what had happened to them that caused them to separate, but maybe it was obviously shown on Jungkook’s face or the air he had around him without the need for him to say a word. He’d looked as though he lost his light when they broke up and all he could show back then was anger and silence. She wasn’t saying as though she was the sole light in his life, but the breakup did affect him badly unlike her prediction of how it would be since he was the one initiated it.

 

These days, Jungkook seemed happier and he seemed to be like the old him again. That alone was enough to bring Chaeyoung’s own smile back on her face.

 

When Yugyeom was done printing the documents and walked back to his cubicle, Chaeyoung threw a glance at Jungkook. He was having his focus back on the monitor before him, one hand busy clicking the mouse while the other was having its fingers hitting the keyboard. Chaeyoung brought her phone back alive and typed a message for him.

 

You: Fighting :)

 

She waited to see his reaction to her simple message, glanced at the screen of the device in hand and saw that her message had been delivered to him successfully. Yet, he didn’t even look at his phone to check if he got a notification from her. Most probably, he had his phone on silent mode.

 

Opposite of getting hurt by not getting any reaction from him, Chaeyoung’s smile only widened on her face as it showed how much effort he was putting into getting his work done and there was nothing more attractive than that. Motivated by his diligence, she turned around with that smile stuck on her face to give her sole focus on her own task.

 

It was during lunch hour that she had to leave his workplace to attend a brief meeting in her office that Jungkook approached her outside of the building. “Are you leaving already?”

 

Chaeyoung offered him a smile that couldn’t seem to stop. “Yeah, my senior wants to have a brief meeting to discuss on an upcoming project that she will be handling.”

 

“So if she’s the one who’s going to handle it, why do you have to leave your work and be there?” he asked curiously with a chuckle.

 

“She needs me there to give an idea or two. I’m her favorite,” she smirked playfully.

 

“I’m going to lose my motivation to be Bang Sihyuk’s most diligent worker,” he shrugged with a sigh as he looked away, the playfulness on his face was evident. “I’m going to go back being the laziest.”

 

Chaeyoung’s laughter was genuine before she forced herself to stop, teeth biting on her lip momentarily. “So was that all an act in there?”

 

“No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter