.23

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook nodded his head each time his colleague said something, managed a smile for a few seconds as he glanced from their faces to the drink in his hand. Yugyeom clearly had made a joke, and obviously it was funny since the rest of his colleagues were laughing, punching one another in the shoulder but Jungkook was just distracted, not knowing whatever anyone was saying at all. They became nothing but sounds in his ears, not words or sentences.

 

This office party Bang Sihyuk was holding for the new completed design of the office would be a lot more fun if it happened probably when he first started to work in that company, but now it became repetitive and boring and the only thing that didn’t stay the same was the purpose of the party. The party they had in the previous year which was supposed to serve as a farewell party to a senior employer had some kind of a similar vibe to this party he was in right at that moment.

 

Jungkook sipped on the coke and decided to take a seat somewhere, busy himself with food to kill the boredom –he had to shut down the thoughts of him missing Hoseok and Yoongi because the two were better than the many people here –but was stopped when his ear caught Chaeyoung’s name rolling off Yugyeom’s mouth.

 

His ear perked, listening to Yugyeom praising Chaeyoung in front of the other guys, and he felt his jaw clenched when one of the guys teased with something like; “Is she really Jungkook’s girl or is she yours?”

 

Jungkook let out a light scoff, looking away before he could kill Yugyeom with his glare when the latter just laughed and joined in the joke. Whatever, he said in his mind. Unfunny and unnecessary jokes like that were unimportant anyway, none of it would come true, he thought.

 

Jungkook wanted to believe that Chaeyoung had come back to him, but these few days had made him rethink of it. Chaeyoung had been spending most of her time with Taehyung and it gave his heart a little twinge of pain and jealousy when obviously, Taehyung had been the cause of her getting back her old self.

 

He was aware how his jealousy was doing nothing but harming himself, and that he should trust her more than ever. It was just that she seemed to be having a thought that she kept hidden which bothered him so much. He believed it was that thought inside her head that became the thin line separating them. It was that thought of hers that was preventing her from giving her all to him and he wished he knew how to make her say it out loud, because to be dubious and cautious of every move was making the air around them sometimes became rather uncomfortable.

 

Everyone around him was talking nonstop, and he knew there was no point in trying to stand still and waste his time listening to a story that he hadn’t been focusing on since the beginning. His glass was empty and he wanted to refill it, and maybe get himself a seat somewhere like what he wanted to do earlier, try on every single menu there was.

 

When he spun himself on the floor, he almost bumped himself into someone, managed to plant both feet on the floor before he could fall forward. He should have been complimented when his free hand was quick to hold onto the person in front of him and Jungkook’s brows lifted with his eyes widening slightly when he realized who it was.

 

Before he muttered anything, Jungkook found himself locking eyes with the person before him, and he could feel a faint smile slowly building up on his face.

 

“What –what are you doing here?” he asked Chaeyoung, his hand letting her arm go as she took one step back with a soft smile, eyes lowered.

 

Jungkook took that time to let his gaze run around her from head to toe, mesmerized at how her long, healthy hair cascaded down her exposed shoulders in that long-sleeved, off-shoulder, tight short black dress. The glitters around the black dress made it look like they were stars scattered around the universe and Jungkook’s mind took that as a reminder of how Chaeyoung was becoming his universe at each day.

 

Chaeyoung smiled at him softly with a reply. “It was a last minute invitation.”

 

Jungkook breathed out softly, still unable to get over at how she was actually taking his breath and focus all for herself. “You look fantastic,” he blurted, finding himself unable to control the smile hanging off his face.

 

She looked down at her dress, the smile on her face was shy and she ran a hand down the garment. “This dress looks amazing, isn’t it? Jennie picked it for me.”

 

“Only ‘cause it’s you who’s wearing it.” And Jungkook wasn’t sure how it came out smoothly like that. It wasn’t that he was trying to flirt with someone he barely knew, but for some reason, he felt half embarrassed and half proud of what he’d delivered.

 

The glint playing in her eyes managed to stagger his breath a little, especially when she stared a little too long at him before presenting the small, shy smile of hers again. “Thank you,” she said lowly, voice was almost unheard and Jungkook was sure he knew she was thanking him because his eyes were on her lips and that enabled him to read what she was saying. “You look really great, too.”

 

“Do I?” he smiled playfully at her.

 

“You do,” she chuckled.

 

Behind him, he could hear low chatters from his colleagues.

 

“That’s her,” Yugyeom said.

 

“Wow, I’ve seen her every time she came but I never realized how gorgeous she is.”

 

“No . She’s hella fine, man.”

 

“Too bad she’s t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter