.08

Not For Long
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He didn’t know if it was his fate to see Chaeyoung almost everywhere he went to, and most of the time, she was with Taehyung. He didn’t stalk them this time around, so he was unsure if they did it on purpose, showing their healing relationship to the world or it was mere coincidence that they happened to be in the same location. Except that Jungkook would be the only one who would see them, while they would have their eyes somewhere else. Maybe they didn’t even realize that he was around, too immersed in the new happiness that they found.

 

It provided more strength on his assumption that she and Taehyung had really made up, and that Taehyung had already proposed to her or the proposal was going to be really soon. Even if she hadn’t been proposed, there was a chance that she would say that three-lettered word to Taehyung.

 

Seemed impossible when he thought of the timing. Chaeyoung couldn’t have moved on that quick, could she? She said it before that she hated how she was a victim of disloyalty, so would it be possible for her to open her heart to Taehyung once more in that short amount of time, to the point of saying yes when proposed?

 

Of course, of course it would be possible, especially when Jungkook considered the things he did to her. Of course, she might have chosen to get him out of her heart, and maybe give a second chance to Taehyung. Of course, Taehyung, too, deserved a second chance as much as Jungkook thought he himself deserved it.

 

Today was just like those damn times. It already felt like he had seen them together for more than a thousand times when in reality it was the fourth. Or was it the fifth? Jungkook wasn’t sure himself. What he was sure of was that among the many times he caught them together with his eyes, he hated today the most.

 

Chaeyoung was laughing at what Taehyung was saying.

 

Jungkook remembered those days when he was the reason why Chaeyoung’s laughter filled the air. He would act silly just to get a smile on her face, but he would always get returned with a beautiful series of laughter. It pained him to realize that there would be no room for a smile for him anymore, and it was even more awful to know and to see that she was smiling when she was with Taehyung.

 

The tables had turned and Jungkook wished nothing more but to be able to turn back the time.

 

He stood still at where he stiffened when his eyes landed on the two – he was in front of a convenience store. On the opposite side of the block he was at, Chaeyoung and Taehyung just came out of a boutique. He felt the aching pain began to form a lump in his throat, and with so much effort, he swallowed it down as he looked at them from far.

 

Reminded by that stupid dream of him seeing her in a beautiful white dress, Jungkook turned away and closed his eyes for a brief second, holding himself back from hitting whatever he could reach as he cursed under his breath, “.”

 

*

 

“I’ll see you later,” Taehyung said, offering his signature smile and closed the door to her house for her.

 

Chaeyoung was still smiling even when the door had closed with a click. She turned around a few seconds later, holding the strap to the paper bag with both hands as she walked towards the nearest couch. Patience running out thin as she quickly took the dress out of the bag, tossing her tote onto the couch as she excitedly held the dress up to her eye level.

 

It was a short sleeveless dress that hung just above her knees. The dress was parfait in color and laced and although she initially thought that it would be great to wear it on the wedding day that would probably come sooner, Chaeyoung didn’t think she’d be able to wait until that day to come for her to be able to have this drape her figure.

 

Taehyung had chosen it for her, and even paid it as a gift. She had refused it at first but he had said that it was his wish to spend some money for Namjoon. He was helping Namjoon to prepare an event to propose to Jennie. If Namjoon wanted this to be memorable to Jennie, Taehyung wanted it to be memorable to Namjoon and everyone attending it as well.

 

Namjoon had wanted to make the event a tiny bit like it was a real wedding. There wouldn’t be anyone acting as a wedding officiant. There should be at least a best man and a maid of honor, and Taehyung and Chaeyoung were absolutely the ones who would get that position. And because of that, Taehyung had convinced her that she should be getting a new dress for that occasion.

 

Ever since that day she was invited to have lunch together with Taehyung’s mom at his house, she had finally warmed up to him again. He had called her that night, literally begging for her to forgive him for the past and he wanted to be friends with her again. He said that it was so hard being unable to joke around like before even when they were with Jennie and Namjoon. He wanted a chance to be not more than just friends, for the sake of their two friends.

 

It was hard, but perhaps due to her knowing Taehyung for quite a long time, the iced wall had melted and she wouldn’t deny how it made her feel like some of the burdens in her life had been lifted off completely.

 

Chaeyoung had thought over it before, to be just friends and forget the past because they had split up for a long time, but when he revealed that he was the one who had been the cause of her relationship with Jungkook broken to pieces, she made it sure to forget about being friends. Add on those constant attempts of Taehyung trying to flirt with her, trying to make her open the door to her heart for him once more, she felt nothing but anger and dissatisfaction.

 

However, this time, it felt somewhat genuine. He seemed to be serious about wanting to be just friends with her. Maybe the fact that his attempts had met nothing but failure caused him to give up on being her lover again.

 

More times spent with him, the more Chaeyoung felt at ease, at least for the time being. Taehyung being a natural jokester made everything easier. She found the laughter after a while being incapable of doing so, she found the smiles she had dropped, and her heart felt lighter.

 

There’d be times when Taehyung had forgotten, sometimes he’d give her subtle touches that were supposed to make her heart flutter but it didn’t, and so she had to softly remind him about it. Unlike before, he’d stop and apologized, to which she appreciated very much.

 

Although they weren’t as close as before, where she’d feel more than comfortable to do literally everything with him, she had to admit that she actually needed him especially during this time. She couldn’t spill the surprise to Jennie and so she needed someone who was close to Jennie all the same to share the excitement. Taehyung was perfect.

 

At times, Chaeyoung thought of Jungkook. He was best at listening to her pouring her feelings of excitement, but the timing wasn’t right. Besides, Jungkook didn’t really know Jennie like how she didn’t know Yoongi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter