The Date

“I’m so happy that I met you. You, my love.”

13 May 2017

Ji Chang Wook walked quickly through the back door of Alver Coffee and up the side staircase with Nam Ji Hyun following closely behind. He swung open the door to a private balcony. He had often hung out with his buddies there, away from the preying eyes of the public. Kang Woo was already there.

“This is my buddy, Kang Woo. He owns Alver Coffee.” Ji Chang Wook introduced. “This is Nam Ji Hyun.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kang Woo oraboeni.”Nam Ji Hyun greeted him respectfully.

Kang Woo glanced quickly at Ji Chang Wook and back to Nam Ji Hyun and said with a smile “Ah Ji Hyun, you can just call me oppa. That’s what you call Wook right?”

“Yes, yes.” Ji Hyun nodded in answer.

“What would you like to drink? Iced coffee?” Ji Chang Wook asked.

“Actually, I can’t really take coffee. Maybe a juice?” Nam Ji Hyun replied.

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” Kang Woo said.

It was only supposed to be coffee but the hours had passed so quickly. Ji Chang Wook and Nam Ji Hyun sat on the private balcony as the sun set over Gangnam.

She told him that she was going back to school after filming to complete her degree. He marveled at her quiet determination. Most young actresses would get into the show business, taking on project after project, setting aside their education for a paycheck. Not her.

He told her about his upcoming enlistment. She already knew about it.

“Are you worried?” She asked.

“No, not really. It’s my duty to serve and it’s been a long time coming. Besides, it would be nice to take a break from all these schedules too.” Ji Chang Wook responded, rubbing the back of his head wearily.

Nam Ji Hyun smiled and nodded knowingly.

“Although, I am worried for my omma.” Ji Chang Wook added, quietly. “I lost my father when I was young and it’s always just been the both of us.”

Nam Ji Hyun’s hand reached over to squeeze Ji Chang Wook’s shoulder and softly pat his back as they sat side by side, in companionable silence.

“Are you hungry?” Ji Chang Wook asked.

“I am. Are you?” Nam Ji Hyun replied.

“Yes. Let’s go have dinner. Unless you have other plans?” Ji Chang Wook ventured.

“No plans, oppa. I’m all yours.”

Ji Chang Wook smiled to himself as he pulled out his phone and dialed quickly.

The meat sizzled on the hot grill. They were sitting in the private room of one of Ji Chang Wook’s favourite restaurants.

“Here.” Ji Chang Wook said, placing pieces of grilled beef on Nam Ji Hyun’s plate.

“Kamsahamida!” Nam Ji Hyun said excitedly as she wrapped the beef with some kimchi in a piece of lettuce. “I love eating delicious food!”

Ji Chang Wook chuckled to himself at her reaction. She was absolutely adorable.

“Eat well.” Ji Chang Wook said.

“You too oppa.” Nam Ji Hyun replied, feeding the wrapped beef to him.

He smiled gratefully and ate it from her hands.