The weight is lifted

The susbtitute
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Mom, how do you feel about returning to the company’s headquarters?” Jimin asked his mother.

 

“Thrilled.” She said, “I’m tired of staying at home the whole day. It would do me some good, to work.”

 

“Good, because I am thinking on handing the company's direction back to you.” Jimin said.

 

His mother stared at him in surprise, “Why?”

 

“I’m thinking about moving out of this house…” Jimin said.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I want to work on our branch in Daegu.”

 

His mother gave him a knowing look, “Ah…Daegu. I understand now.”

 

“Last weekend was…so good…I had a glimpse of what true happiness is…You should have seen the children. They were so happy.”

 

“Just the children?” His mother rose an eyebrow and Jimin blushed.

 

“I felt happy too.” Jimin admitted.

 

His mother smiled at him, “I know, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you this happy. Meeting Yoongi did you good.”

 

"Yes..."

 

“But what are you going to do about Yoonji?”, his mother asked.

 

Jimin shrugged, “I don’t know yet. I want to get divorced but…”

 

“Do it.”

 

“But…”

 

“Just do it, son.” His mom insisted, “Ignore her threats and do it. She’s in jail, she can’t do you no harm.”

 

“I know.”

 

 

**

 

“I have the transfer documents ready. Namjoon will deliver it to you today.” Jimin said on the phone.

 

“Ok.” Yoongi replied on the other side of the line, “Guess what happened?” Yoongi asked with a hint of amusement in his voice.

 

“What is it? Let me guess, the kids did something stupid…” Jimin tried to guess.

 

“No. I just received a phone call from school. They said I’m in. That I was accepted as a music teacher.”

 

“Really? That’s great. Congratulations, Yoongi.” Jimin said, “I’m happy for you.”

 

“I will start working tomorrow morning. I already spoke to the school’s director. He said it’s ok to bring the kids to their respective classes even though we don’t have the transfer documents ready.”

 

“That’s good. The documents are ready though. Namjoon will pass by your house in two hours.” Jimin said, “Oh, and Seokjin is coming with him because he misses the kids too and wants to see them.”

 

“Really? I won’t tell the kids then, I’m sure they’ll love their visit.”

 

“Yeah, they probably will…” Jimin mumbled as the news on TV drew his attention.

 

There were bold letters on the screen that read “Millionaire Choi Yu died this morning as result of lung cancer”

 

Jimin’s eyes widened at the news. Choi, the man Yoonji claimed to be Taehyung’s real father had just died. Jimin didn’t know if the relief he was feeling right now made him just as evil as his wife.

 

“Hello? Jimin? Are you there?” Yoongi asked.

 

“Oh, yes I am. Sorry…I just….I have to go…There’s something I must do right now. I’ll call you later today, ok?”

 

“Ok. Bye.”

 

“Bye.” Jimin said as he hung up and got out of his office in a hurried pace. If Choi was dead, Yoonji’s threats regarding Taehyung were useless. What worried Jimin right now was the other threat regarding Jungkook, so he made his way to the hospital where Sungmin was being treated.

 

“Jimin.” Sungmin acknowledged his presence as soon as Jimin got inside the room.

 

“Hey…How are you?” Jimin asked as he sat down on a chair next to the bed.

 

“I’ve had better days…” Sungmin mumbled as he tried to sit. Jimin stood up immediately and helped him sit comfortably.

 

“I…I’m sorry…” Jimin said, regretting pressuring Sungmin into testifying against Yoonji, “If I hadn’t convinced you to testify against my wife…you wouldn’t be like this…”

 

Sungmin gave a weak laugh and faced Jimin, “There’s nothing to be sorry about, Jimin. If anything, I’m the one who should be apologizing. After all, I took advantage of our friendship to sleep with your wife and….well…I put myself in this situation. It’s not your fault.” Sungmin assured.

 

Jimin sighed and looked down, “I visited her…you know? I want her to sign the divorce papers but…”

 

“She refused.” Sungmin guessed.

 

“Yeah…”

 

Sungmin studied Jimin’s expression for a moment and then spoke, “You seem worried about something else. What is it?”

 

Jimin bit his lower lip and hesitated.

 

Should I tell him? What if he tries to take Jungkook away from me?, he thought.

 

“What exactly is she threatening you with? The kids?” Sungmin guessed again and Jimin nodded.

 

Sungmin rolled his eyes, “Ah, I know where this is going. She claims Jungkook is not your son, am I right?”

 

Jimin’s eyes widened.

 

“My guess was right.” Sungmin gave another weak laugh, “If she told you Jungkook is not your son, do not believe her. She’s not that stupid to allow herself to get pregnant from someone else, Jimin.”

 

“She claims Jungkook is your son.” Jimin said lowly and Sungmin laughed.

 

“When I got intimately involved with her, she was already two months pregnant.” Sungmin stated.

 

Jimin desperately wanted to believe the millionaire.

 

“Believe me, Jimin. If the kid was mine, I would know. Besides, I always took precautions with every woman I laid with. I know that it’s not infallible, but I can assure you that she was already pr

Please log in to read the full chapter