The distance

The susbtitute
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Yoongi served their drinks, the children looked at him with beaming eyes.

 

“What?” he asked.

 

“Is it true we are allowed to go to Daegu with you for a few days?” Taehyung asked, giggling between his words.

 

Before Yoongi could say anything, Jimin interrupted, “I didn’t say you were going though.” Jimin mumbled, “I said I allow you to go with your uncle….but only if he agrees…” Jimin said as he looked at Yoongi with pleading eyes.

 

“Please, uncle!” Jungkook insisted and Taehyung nodded excitedly.

 

Yoongi sighed, it was hard to say no to his nephews when they stared at him like that. They probably got it from their father, Genetics, he thought.

 

“You can keep teaching Taehyung to play piano. Also Jungkook is interested in starting learning…” Jimin suggested, “You could take them with you and give them some lessons in the meantime.” He said.

 

“Jimin…I…” Yoongi tried to say but Jimin interrupted again.

 

“I’ll pay for their lessons and for their stay at your house, of course.” Jimin added.

 

“That’s not the point, Jimin.” Yoongi gave Jimin a knowing look, “Kids, if you excuse us for a moment. I need to talk to your dad in private.” Yoongi said as he grabbed Jimin’s harm and dragged him far away from the kids, to the corner of the shop, “Sending the children to live with me in Daegu is not going to change anything.” He said.

 

“Please, Yoongi. Just until the news about Yoonji subside a little.” Jimin begged.

 

Yoongi huffed and rolled his eyes, Things are like this because of me…If I wasn’t here, Yoonji would’ve never shot a man…It is my fault…Maybe it’s the only way to mend things for now…Yoongi thought, “Ok…” he mumbled in defeat. Jimin couldn’t control his happiness he almost giggled.

 

“Thank you!!! I promise they won’t be much of a nuisance to you.”

 

“It’s not them I’m worried about…” Yoongi mumbled. He wanted to go back to Daegu because he felt it was necessary to let go of everything, including the children and Jimin. He needed to stay away from Jimin too. Agreeing on taking the kids to Daegu only gave a higher chance of keeping in touch with Jimin and Yoongi felt nervous. He felt nervous that this strange feeling in his chest whenever he saw Jimin would grow bigger.

 

There was something about Jimin that attracted Yoongi. He couldn’t pinpoint what it was: maybe it was his eye smile or his voice, maybe the way he wasn’t afraid to express his feelings or act cute without even trying, maybe it was the stolen kisses while Yoongi pretended to be his wife or the childish way he begged Yoongi to take the kids to Daegu with him just now…He didn’t know. He only knew the strange feeling in his chest grew stronger every time he would see Jimin.

 

While Yoongi was lost in his thoughts, Jimin approached the children and gave them the news. If Taehyung’s leg wasn’t broken, he would’ve jumped in happiness like Jungkook did before running towards Yoongi and hugging his waist while saying a big “Thank you, uncle.”

 

It was in moments like this one that Yoongi couldn’t find the heart to complain about it. He had done a big mistake to take his sister’s place but he earned so much more than his sister’s money could ever pay: love.

 

“You’re welcome.” Yoongi found himself saying as he kneeled on the floor and hugged his youngest nephew.

 

 

**

 

Before leaving Seoul, Yoongi dropped by Jimin’s house to pick the children up and get their luggage. He was nervous to say the least. This was the very first time he was going back to the house as himself and not pretending to be his sister. He wondered how the employees working in the house would react after seeing him…he wondered if Jimin’s mother would be around.

 

“Good morning, sir.” Hoseok said with a bright smile as he opened the door to Yoongi, “The children are already expecting you.”

 

“Good morning…Hoseok.” Yoongi mumbled as he followed the butler inside the house.

 

“Uncle!!” Jungkook jumped out of the couch and ran towards him.

 

“Hey, got everything ready?” he asked as he picked Jungkook up in his arms.

 

Jungkook nodded, “Tae is taking a while longer because of his leg. He said he would be down in a minute.” Jungkook explained.

 

“I see.” Yoongi said.

 

He heard a male clear his throat behind him, so Yoongi turned around to face him. The children’s nanny gave him a smile.

 

“Hello, Yoongi-shi.” Seokjin said.

 

“Hi, Seokjin.”

 

“Thank you for letting the kids stay with you for a while. I’m finally getting my well-deserved vacations.” The nanny said.

 

Yoongi smiled at him.

 

“So you are the infamous Min Yoongi!” Yoongi heard a female voice coming from upstairs. His heart started beating faster, Ah, crap! Mrs. Park!, he thought as he recognized the voice of Jimin’s mother.

 

“Leave me alone with this man, will you?” the middle aged woman came downstairs and demanded everyone to leave them alone, “That includes you, Jungkook.” The lady told her grandson and Yoongi put his nephew back on the floor. Seokjin took Jungkook to the kitchen, followed by Hoseok shortly after.

 

After being left alone, the woman approached Yoongi and looked at him very closely, “Hum, you really look like her.” She stated and Yoongi held his breath, “I knew there were two of you from the moment you forced me to control and reduce my wine intake.” The woman continued as she sat down on the couch, “Why are you standing? Sit down with me!” she demanded and Yoongi complied almost immediately.

 

“I should be angry at you, for trying to deceive us…” she started and Yoongi closed his hands into fists, expecting a big lecture on how bad his actions were, “You came into my house and you turned our lives upside down: you made the children love their mother, you made me quit my nasty habit, you gave Jimin a motive to come back from work early every day…” she counted, “You are so different from her and yet…so similar…” she said as she examined Yoongi’s features closely

Please log in to read the full chapter