Chapter 6: Temporary Fantasy

All Of Me

“Youngjae…don’t be mad at your mom. Zelo said quietly. I turned to face him. “How did you know I was mad at her?” I asked nearly snapping. “O-Oh…um, well it was in-in my d-dream.” He stuttered nervously.

“How do you know if everything in your dream is right? Huh? You haven’t had nightmares in days!” I spat angrily. “I’m…I’m sorry.” He apologized backing down. I sighed shaking my head. “No…I’m sorry for getting angry at you. You didn’t do anything. It’s…it’s a lot to take in all at once.” It was silent for a while until Zelo spoke up again. “So what are we going to do?” he asked. “There’s nothing we can do for now, but just take it as it is until we can figure something out.” I sighed.

The two of us went back inside with my mother and the man. “You came back to your senses huh?” The man scoffed. “I’m sorry for my behavior earlier…it was dishonorable.” I apologized. “Tch…honor my .” The man responded. I looked at my mother who was looking sad and burdened. ‘He was a good man gone bad,’ I remember her saying. I eyed the man and finally said, “We’ll be going back to sleep now…we have work tomorrow.” I said and Zelo and I went to our sleeping spots.

I didn’t trust the man. I heard that he was and Mr. Woo were really close friends. So he may have been influenced by Mr.Woo…or he influenced Mr. Woo.

The next morning I woke Zelo up earlier than normal so that we could get out as soon as possible before the man woke up. Plus I had something that I needed to tell him, and I know he’s not going to like it. “We’re going to the fields early today.” I whispered to him. He nodded and got ready then followed me out. “Zelo… “I said as we walked over to the fields. “Yeah?” He responded innocently. This was going to be hard. “You have to leave.” I said firmly.

“Wh-Wh-What?” He said, he looked heartbroken by my words. “Leave early tomorrow morning, quietly.” I went on. “What? Why?” He asked. I didn’t say anything. Zelo can’t you just listen please. “Youngjae?! Why?!” he asked his eyes tearing up. Zelo, please this is hard for me too. “Just do as I say/” I choked slightly.

“Youngjae no! You can’t do this to me! I won’t go! I won’t!” He demanded beginning to cry carelessly. “Zelo! Do you think I’m saying this because I want you to leave?!” I couldn’t take it anymore. He only looked at me with puffy eyes. “I don’t want you to leave.” I said wiping away a tear that escaped from my eye. “I try to never send my friends away, because I know what it’s like and the feeling is heartbreaking. My friends are like brothers to me and I love them all, I love you all! I won’t want to send you away, but I have to.” I said as more tears escaped.

“Wh-Why?” he choked. “My-My da-that man is a bad person. I don’t know what he’s capable of, but I can just tell from my mother’s reaction that he’s capable of many things. I can’t do anything to help you…the best thing to do is send you home.” I admitted sadly. It’s hard for me to defend myself and it would be impossible to try to defend Zelo and my mom. This was the best way.

“No, Youngjae don’t.” Zelo said in an attempt to sound assuring. “When everything is alright I’ll right you a letter and let you know. But for now you must go. And when the time is right, I’ll send my mother away too.” I said the thought of it made me feel even worse. “Youngjae-ssi! How can you come up with such a plan over night?” Zelo sounded horrified. “I’m smart rmember?” I said smiling sadly.

“Y-Youngjae…just let me stay. We can go through this together. It’ll be easier to endure it together. Youngjae please. I can help. We can do this together all of us! Including your mom.” I begged. Zelo stop it please. “No.” I spat.

“You’re really not going to let me stay?” He said sounding hurt. “Correct.” I said and walked ahead of him. But he didn’t follow.

“Fine! Send me away! But once you turn your back after we depart and you return home, I will run back after a day has gone by. Once the moon rises and sets then I’ll come back to you. You can’t stop me!” He spat loudly. I paused and turned around and looked at him with heavy eyes. “Zelo you don’t want to do this.” I said softly. “Yes. I do as long as I am with my hyungs I can endure anything.” He said. His words hit me. Zelo, how am I supposed to send you away when you say stuff like that?

“Fine.” I sighed giving in. He suddenly ran to me and gave me a tight hug. “Everything will be fine. You still have your mother, Jiho-hyung, Jaehyo, Taeil, Jihoon, Minhyuk, Ukwon, Kyung, and me. Nobody can stop us.” He said assuringly. I felt a silent tear streamed own my cheek. “Okay Zelo…okay.”

-Zelo’s POV-

It felt good to be the one to comfort my hyung. For a moment I had forgotten about my old hyungs…Daehyun, Himchan, Jongup, and…Yongguk.

Two days passed by quickly and I was able to stay with Youngjae. The others learned about Youngjae’s dad and kept a close eye on him. I love these Hyungs, I completely understand why Youngjae wouldn’t want to be separated from them…I felt the same way.

So far Mr.Yoo hasn’t been doing anything too bad. He goes out at night and drinks but he hasn’t harmed anyone. He jokes around at Jiho and me, but we always remain silent. Honestly Mr.Yoo scares me. He’s sketchy and his smile was creepy. Whenever he looked at me I felt extremely uncomfortable. I was glad that Youngjae kept me close by him when we’d go to sleep I felt better. As long as I am with my hyungs I can endure anything.’

 

-

“He…Where’s Mr.Yoo?” I asked Ms.Yoo one day, when we came back from working at the fields. “Oh…he had went out to run some errands for himself. He’ll be late.” She said sounding relieved. “Thank-You!” Youngjae praised plopping onto his blanket bed. I sat down by him. “Don’t get too comfortable. He’ll be back before you know it.” Ms.Yoo sighed. It went completely silent. Things have changed a little since Mr.Yoo arrived. Ms. Yoo wasn’t herself either, she seemed more stressed out.

“We need a plan to get him out for good.” Youngjae said seriously, laying down with his hands behind his head. I pinched his nose. “Yah!” He sat up quickly. “What the heck was that for?” he asked. “It was tempting.” I simply responded. “That hurt.” He whined rubbing his nose. “You hang out around Jiho and Kyung too much.” He muttered. I only laughed.

“Hey boys…do you want to help me with the corn?” Ms.Yoo asked. “Yeah!” I jumped excitedly running to the basket of corn. “Why are you so excited?” Ms.Yoo chuckled.

“Back at home my mother and I use to make a whole bunch of stuff out of corn as a treat. They always tasted delicious and it was always fun.” I said pulling out the first ear of corn. Youngjae sat down next to me. “Hm…You should send your mother another letter today. She’ll appreciate it.” Ms.Yoo smiled softly. “Okay! I will as soon as I finish the corn.” I smiled cheerfully dipping the corn in a bowl of water. “Well, while you two do that I’ll be out. I have some extra work to attend to bye bye.” She waved. “Bye!” Youngjae and I said in unison.

“Let’s see…” Youngjae began. “See what?” I asked curiously. “Let’s have a competition.” He said happily. “Okay what’s the catch?” I asked suspiciously. “If I win you can’t hang out with Jiho and Kyung for a week.” He said. “And if I win?” I asked. He just shrugged. “If I win you have to curl your hair and keep it that way for two weeks.” I said. “What? I can’t do that. I don’t know how to do that.” He said. “How do you think I do it?” I said. “Fine.” He pouted. “So…what’s the challenge?” I asked sweetly. “Whoever cleans the most corn wins…Go!” he said and we immediately.

I don’t mind losing but I really wanted to see Youngjae with curly hair, and I don’t want to be away from Jiho and Kyung. So I have to win! I tried to peek over and see what Youngjae was doing to make himself go faster, but when I did he splashed water in my eye. “Hey! Ah! I can’t open my left eye! That’s cheating.” I exclaimed. “No one said there were any rules.” He claimed. I just started on my corn again this time washing three at a time, but Youngjae kept splashing water everywhere, slowing me down.

“How un-sportsmanship-like and undignified.” I scoffed. He just laughed. I reached over and knocked down his pile of corn. “Oopsies.” I said. “Yah! How could you?! I gotta wash all of those over again!” He said in utter shock. I rolled over laughing.

“You think this is funny huh?” He said and knocked over my pile of corn. “Hey! That’s not fair! I had more corn than you!” I stopped laughing. “Well, you better get back to work because right now I have more.” He teased getting back to re-cleaning his corn. I just sat there and stared at him as he worked. Then a brilliant idea came to me. A sly smile appeared on my face. I reached over and flipped his bowl of water over. “Earthquake!” I exclaimed while laughing. His expression was the best.

“Earthquake? Earthquake? Zelo!” He burst. I continued to laugh. He tried to reach over and knock over my bowl of water but I hugged him pulling him away from it. “I love you hyung!” I smiled sweetly hugging him tighter. He continued trying to reach towards my bowl anyway.

“Are you really going to choose that bowl of water over me?” I asked. “Yeh.” He answered without hesitation. “You don’t have a choice.” I teased. “Yaah! This isn’t fair.” He whined like a little baby. He turned around and stuck his tongue out at me. I did the same.

Just then a cheesy smile appeared on his face. “Whaat?” I asked suspiciously. That’s when he my face. “E-EEEW! What the heck?!” I squealed quickly wiping my face he broke free from my grip. “Heeey!” I whined not appreciating what he just did. Youngjae rolled over on the ground and sat up smiling cheesy-like again.

Suddenly the door burst open and two guards entered the home. The two of us froze. Youngjae scooted close to me in comfort. “May I help you?” He asked getting serious in a split second. Though he was weak physically I honestly felt really safe around him. “We need…him.” The guard said. Pointing at me.

“M-Me?” I repeated quietly. The guard nodded. Youngjae stood up standing in front of me as if to be my shield. “Why?” He questioned. “He doesn’t belong here obviously.” The second guard replied. “So? He does belong here. You can’t take him away!” Youngjae spat.