Pro 2: I Just Want To Be Your Friend

All Of Me

I removed my hood and revealed myself. It was silent. I didn’t feel so welcomed anymore. “Um…I-I don’t want anything to change. So just-just treat me r-regularly. I w-want to be your f-friend.” I tried. “Why are you here?!” Youngjae asked harshly. Jiho grabbed Youngjae as if to hold him back. “You should go.” Jiho warned but in a calm voice. “I don’t…k-know my way.” I said shamefully. “You go the same way you came here! Idiot! You-,” Jiho cut Youngjae off by covering his mouth with his hand and it was only muffling sounds from the younger.

“We’ll help you but can’t take you far.” Jiho said. I nodded. Younjae began to fight Jiho with a struggle but Jiho was way stronger. “You go ahead. We’ll meet you.” Jiho said. I nodded and exited the shack. As soon as I was out of the shack the door instantly closed. Then I heard thumping noises and crash sounds followed by groans.

-Youngjae’s POV-

Jiho closed the door and faced me. He didn’t look happy at all. I stood there and glared at him. Just then he went up to me and pushed me with much force and I fell hard to the ground. A groan of pain slipped from between my lips. I struggled to stand up but when I was on my feet he shoved me to the wall and I ended up knocking some tools down. “Are you crazy?!” Jiho snapped. “What’s wrong with you?” he wasn’t going to give me the chance to speak so I said nothing and listened to him scold and yell at me.

“You know that your actions could have gotten you killed! He could tell his father that you tried to charge him and you insulted him! And that will be the end of you!” Jiho scolded. He slapped me in my face. “Don’t do that again! I don’t even know if you’ll even be alive to get the chance. I don’t want you to die. I don’t want anything to happen to you.” He said choking up a bit, his eyes were getting glossy. “I thought you trusted him.” I said quietly. He was silent. “I know what I am doing. I’m not scared of anything…or anyone.” I muttered and exited the shack.

-Daehyun’s POV-

I waited and waited, then Youngjae was the first to come out. He looked upset and there was a red mark on his left cheek. “Are you Okay?” I asked him gently. He didn’t respond for our eyes met.

-Youngjae’s POV_

He rested his soft hand on my cheek and asked, “Are you Okay?” I wanted to push him away but I couldn’t, because when I looked up…I froze. That’s when Jiho came out of the shed and I suddenly snapped out of it and moved away from the pitiful boy. Jiho gave me a strange look and I blushed shamefully. Then he looked at the prince suspiciously.

The 3 of us walked for a while when out of nowhere 4 guards attacked us. They grabbed Jiho first by his neck. They tried to catch me but I dodged them. I tried to get Jiho, but one of the guards yanked me pinning me down to the ground with his knee.

“Stop!” The prince halted. The 4 men stopped but did not release us. My back was aching horribly. “Let go of his neck.” Prince Daehyun ordered. They obeyed but pinned Jiho’s arm behind him. “Get off of his back!” the boy yelled. They obeyed and pinned my arms behind my back as well. “Release them.” Was his final order “We can’t do that.” The man said.

“Do it. It’s an order.” Prince Jung Daehyun demanded. The two guards that wasn’t pinning anyone bowed on their knees. “We cannot do such a thing. These villagers are dangerous. These two boys must be punished.” A second guard explained. “What? Why would you punish a 6 and 8 year old?” Prince Daehyun asked. “For kidnapping you of course.” The first guard said. The prince was silent. What was he doing? Is he going to get us killed? I looked at Jiho who hung his head down shamefully. Just then the prince burst out into laughter. It completely confused everyone. “They didn’t kidnap me. They saved me.” He said once he had stopped laughing. The guards didn’t say anything. “I had ran away from the castle and ventured out here in the village. A man came chasing after me and these two saved me and were helping me find my way back.” He explained.

The guards looked almost amazed but mostly shocked. “Release them!” The Prince ordered and the guards obeyed and we were released. “Bring them into the castle.” He smiled. The men were hesitant, but eventually nodded. But Jiho and I didn’t move. So the guards picked us up and carried us towards the royal castle.

It was very large. Larger on the inside than the outside. I absolutely did not want to be here.

Prince Daehyun went to speak with his father. We were very silent and still as we waited. About 15 to 20 minutes later Prince Daehyun and his father came out. Jiho and I bowed instantly at the King’s presence. “Rise.” The king ordered after 30 seconds of us bowing (this jerk). I already knew about how full of himself and how rude the king was, especially to villagers like us. I had also heard that he was very promiscuous.

“I want to thank you for caring for my son.” The king thanked. That wasn’t very convincing or sincere. “I would like to award you guys with material items such as foods, clothes, jewelries for your mothers, tools for your father…money. But my son, your prince, wants to award you with his friendship. But I clearly explained to him that friendships can’t be forced. Isn’t that what you two kids were taught?” The King went on. No.

Let me translate what he said or meant: ‘I would have to award you kids with the things I don’t really need or want, what I consider trash but what you may consider gold. Is that right? But my son, the one above you, wants to give you his friendship. I clearly told him that peasants like you don’t have friends. Isn’t that right?’ That’s what he meant.

The two of us did not make a single movement or sound. So the king went on. “So I am going to award you with a choice.” He announced. Great. “You can accept your prince’s proposal of friendship or you can leave and go back to your normal lives as if none of this ever happened, and it will never be mentioned again. My word.” He said. Obviously I was going to go with the second choice. I don’t want to have anything to do with the royal family. But something urged me to do the exact opposite. I looked at the prince whom looked at me with pleading eyes. “We’ll accept the Prince’s friendship.” Those 5 words slipped through my lips without any hesitance.

Wait. Wh-What? Why? How? Jiho looked at me in complete shock.

The king sighed in disappointment. Prince Daehyun jumped in excitement. “Follow me.” He said. We followed him up a very long flight of stairs up into a very large room with a huge bed. Daehyun closed the door behind us. “What is this?” Jiho whispered in my ear. “This is my bedroom.” Prince Daehyun giggled before I could say anything. “Whoa!” Jiho said in awe. The pitiful boy jumped on his bed laying back. “It’s really not that big.” He sighed. What? It’s not that big?! This brat! “Oh. I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to offend you.” He quickly apologized, sitting up, after he realized what he had just said.

“It’s okay your highness.’ Jiho said bowing. I reluctantly bowed as well. Prince Daehyun frowned at us. “Please don’t treat me like that. Like royalty. I rather you treat me like you did when…when you thought I was a villager.” Prince Daehyun said. “Are you sure Prince?” Jiho asked. “Yes. Say whatever you want. How you want. Do whatever you want. Just not…in front of anyone else or else you’ll be punished.” The Prince said. “Okay, Prince Daehyun.” Jiho bowed one last time. The way Jiho was acting made me want to burst out laughing, it really did not fit him. I bit my bottom lip trying not to laugh. He noticed this and pinched my arm, and my urge to laugh disappeared. It really hurt.

“Just call me Daehyun.” Prince Daehyun smiled. “Alright…Daehyun. You said we can say what we want. Do what we want and whatever other stuff?” I spoke up. Daehyun nodded vigorously. “Come on Jiho. Let’s go back home since we can do what we want.” I said.

“No! Wait!” Daehyun called. “What?!” I asked in annoyance. “Y-You c-can’t go. Not yet…” he said sounding desperate. “We have to. We’ve been out for a long time and it’s really late. We have to go or our mothers will worry about us.” I explained. “Oh. O-Okay then. I’ll see you later then.” He said with much hope. I just waved him a lazy goodbye and left.

When I got home I snuggled under the blankets with my mother. She turned and faced me. She didn’t look to happy. She looked more stressed than anything. “Where were you?” she asked. “With Jiho.” I told her. “Where did you go after that?” She questioned. Yes, my mother is also very smart. So I explained everything to her. Once I was done she took me in her arms and held me gently. “Ahh, you and Jiho are always getting yourselves into trouble.” She smiled. I snuggled into her. She was always so warm and comforting. “But why were you so harsh to the prince?” She asked. “Because…he’s one of them. He knows nothing.” I told her.

“Ah~Youngjae you’re so cold. He’s only 7 and you’re only 6. He’s looking for a friend, and he wants you to be his friend.” She had a nice soothing tone in her voice. “But…he’s one of them. I can’t trust him.” I argued. She squeezed me tighter. “Does that really matter when you’re both so young? So? You’re a villager, one of us, but did that stop him from being kind to you? Did that stop him from wanting to befriend you? Huh? Answer me Youngjae.” Her voice become slow and sleepy again. “No.” I pouted.

“Oh my son. You still have so much to learn.” She sighed. “Can you read me a story?” I asked her. “Fine Youngjae.” She said resting her eyes. “Once upon a time…”

 

-

 

A week went by and I hadn’t seen Daehyun since that first and only day I saw him. It didn’t bother me that I didn’t see him. Honestly, I was happy.

“Ugh…because of that Prince we can’t even sneak out at night as much anymore without worrying about the guards.” Kyung muttered frustrated. The 8 of us were all at our secret hangout on the hill. “Time will pass Kyung-ah. Stop complaining.” Ukwon said annoyed, caressing Minhyuk’s hair. “Why do you always play with Minhyukie’s hair?” Jihoon asked. Ukwon shrugged, “It’s a habit.”

“This is all your fault.” Kyung said, playfully jumping on top of Jiho. “Yah! Get off. I-I can’t see.” Jiho struggled, stumbling around. Kyung’s hands were covering the elder’s eyes. “Never!” Kyung laughed. The two of them wrestled disturbing Jaehyo who was in his beauty sleep. “Yah! Someone shut them up!” Jeahyo yelled still with his eyes closed. Taeil stood up and tried to break them apart but he wasn’t strong enough and ended up falling on his behind, earning giggles from the rest of us. Jihoon then got up and successfully separated the boys with ease.

On my way back home I noticed someone hiding behind a cart. I paused for a second before speaking.

“I know you’re there.” I said. There was nothing. “You can get out now.” I said a bit impatient. Nothing. “I know you were following me this whole time. Kyung if that’s you! It’s not funny!” I called. That’s when the person revealed themselves. The boy wore a hooded cloak. “Who are you?” I asked suspiciously, still thinking that it was Kyung. “It’s me…Daehyung.” He whispered.

Oh no. “What are you doing here?!” I whisper yelled. “Shhh…I”ll explain everything later, but let’s get something to eat. I’m hungry.” He whispered rubbing his tummy. “Go…Go back home and get food. Go!” I whispered back shewing him away.

As I began to turn away he quickly clung onto my arm. “No! Please. I-I came here to see you.” He begged. I sighed and decided to take my mother’s advice, he wasn’t going to leave either way. “Fine.” I gave in. He clapped his hands together in victory and excitement. “But! I don’t have money to get you any food.” I informed him. “Don’t worry. I came prepared.” He smiled jingling his pocket that made a bunch of noises. “So where’s the nearest restaurant?” he asked excitedly. I rolled my eyes and said, “Follow me.” This boy was really and idiot. I guess being this smart is a curse.

I led him to a food stand. “This is it?” he asked. I nodded. Even though I couldn’t see his face, I could tell that he was a combination of disappointment, disgust, and surprise. I smiled to myself, maybe this will be the last time he comes. “Order the cheapest thing from the man at the stand.” I whispered in his ear. “Why?!” He asked loudly. I face palmed myself. “Ah! Youngjae-ssi! Don’t-Don’t do that to yourself.” He said in near panic. “Because…if people know if you have money, they’ll either rob you and torture you or even just shun you.” I explained, I felt like I was talking to a child.

Daehyun nodded and walked up to the food stand determined. I watched from a distance as he spooke to the man at the stand. The man looked at Daehyun suspiciously as he handed the unknown boy a bag of food. Daehyun bowed and skipped happily back to me. “What’s in the bag?” I asked him just as suspicious as the man at the stand. “Hmm…I got the cheapest thing like you said, which were the apples, so I got two apples, two bananas, and a watermelon.” He answered. I faced palmed myself again. “Watermelon? You bought all that and watermelon? No wonder he looked at you suspiciously. Nobody can afford that all in one day. Well, some can, but that’s not the point. Watermelon is the most expensive food at that stand.” I told him.

“Hmmm…that’s strange. I asked him if he sold meat and he just laughed at me. He was like ‘What do you think this is?’” Daehyun said thinking back on it. “You asked for meat?!” I said astounded. He nodded nonchalantly. I shook my head and sighed. “You need to go home and not come back to the village.” I told him. “But-But why?” He whined. “Cause…um…it’s too dangerous for you…and the rest of us.” I said in a hushed tone. “No! I’m not going back home!” he demanded loudly. I dragged him to the side so that we wouldn’t gain any attention. “You know nothing.” I said. “Then teach me.” He insisted.

That was not the response I was expecting. I sighed and gave in. He smiled and we began to walk to my house. “…after you left. My dad punished me for sneaking out.” Daehyun explained as we walked. “What did he do?” I asked more or less interested. “I’m not allowed to leave the castle for a month.” He pouted. That was more like a present for me…or so I thought. “But I snuck out again.” He claimed proudly. “Ooh~. You’re so bad.” I said sarcastically. “Hey! This is the first time I ever disobeyed my parents!” He argued. “Well congratulations.” I said. He crossed his arms pouting, following behind me.

“This…this is your house?” Daehyun asked in astonishment once we arrived. “Yes.” I sighed in annoyance. It was a small run down tiny house, with no rooms. “Whoa! This looks like the houses in fairy tales that the poor people lived in.” he said in awe. I just stared at him. “Oh-Uh…sorry. I-I didn’t mean it that way.” He quickly apologized. I ignored him and entered the house closing the door behind us. “Whoa! Even the inside is-.” He immediately stopped himself from finishing his sentence.

“Let’s eat!” he said taking off his hood. I looked away from him so that I wouldn’t have to see his face and we both sat down on the floor with the bag of fruit between us. “Here’s an apple for you and an apple for me. One banana for you and one banana for me. We can share the watermelon.” He smiled taking out the food. All I could do was keep staring away from him. “What are you looking at?” He asked curiously. “N-Nothing.” I told him. “Then why aren’t you eating?” he asked. I turned back around to face him but instead I looked down at the fruit. “I’ve never tried watermelon before…and I plan not to.” I said quietly. “Bwoh?! Why?” he asked shocked. “Because! I can’t afford it. If I try it. I’ll begin to crave it. It must be really good if it’s that expensive. I don’t want to crave something I won’t ever be able to get again. That’s what makes people blind, greedy, and desperate.” I said.

He just busted out laughing. That was the first time, out of many times to come I’ve ever seen or heard him laugh. It was a very contagious laugh that soothed my ears and warmed my heart. I must have been hypnotized or something, because without thinking I raised my head and looked at him. All I could do was just sit there and stare. His smile as he laughed, was bright and pure. It kind of made me want to smile too. What was this?! He looked so much like an untouchable angel. “Don’t worry. Watermelons don’t taste all that good anyway.” He said between laughs.

What was so funny? “…but if you do crave some watermelons I promise I will get you some.” He said smiling brightly, looking straight into my eyes. It was silent for a split second until Daehyun opened up his moth again. “Why are you staring at me?” he asked innocently. That’s when I snapped out of it. I quickly shook my head vigorously. “N-No…I-I wasn’t.” I protested. “Yes you were. You’re even stuttering.” He pointed out. “N-No I-I’m not.” I denied. Arg! Dang it Youngjae stop! “S-See y-you just d-did.” He mimicked. I crossed my arms and just glared at him.

“It’s okay Youngjae.” He belittled, leaning over petting my head. “I know why you stared at me.” He whispered as if it were a secret. “Because you think I’m cute.” He teased.

I took one of the apples and stuffed it in his mouth. He fell back and coughed the fruit out. “Now this is where you say ‘Geez Youngjae I was only kidding.’” I said once he sat back up and recovered. “I wasn’t kidding.” He smiled. I threw a banana at him. “Yah! Watch it before you get yourself killed!” I threatened. He looked around the house. “Where’s your parents?” he suddenly asked, changing the subject.

“My mom is out working…and…my dad isn’t here.” I answered. He put his hand on my shoulder and gave me a pitiful smile. “Awe. I’m sorry about your father.” He said giving his regards. I pushed his hand off my shoulder. “He’s not dead! He’s just not here…in this village.” I spat. He fell back and blushed in embarrassment. “Heh…My bad.” He laughed and flashed a bright smile. I quickly covered my face with my hands and knees, so that I wouldn’t have to see his face or his smile. I felt him crawl near me. “Youngjae-ssi. What’s the matter?” Did I do something wrong?” He poked at me. Aigoo…What am I going to do?

 

A/N: This prologue is going to be REALLY long. I had written this previously, but I'm trying to shorten it as much as possible. But a lot of the stuff in the prologue is important for the story to make sense. I'm sorry. But thank you for reading!!!!