Chapter 2: Only Human

All Of Me

Without a word I followed him inside and took a seat the opposite side from everyone else, but Yongguk sat down next to me. Everyone was silent. The feeling in the room made me feel very uncomfortable as if I did something wrong. I wanted to run out of here but Yongguk was holding me back. Literally. He was holding my wrist tightly…it kind of hurt.

A drop of blood feel from my mouth onto my pants, for a moment I had forgotten that I was bleeding. I quickly tried to wipe it off but Yongguk noticed. He turned my chin to make me face him. “Are you okay?” He asked with much concern. For a quick second I was lost for words, when Daehyun suddenly stormed out the place. I snapped out of it and pulled away from the elder.

He sighed. “Himchan take care of this.” He instructed getting up leaving us as well. Once the door closed it was silent and even more awkward. I wasn’t sure if they were mad at me for upsetting Daehyun. I could understand why they would be on Daehyun’s side because they were his best friends obviously. I’m just the extra person that they’re nice to. Himchan stood up and took out a medical kit from one of the cabinets and walked over to me. I just sat there as still as possible while Himchan worked on my face.

He sighed and put the stuff down. “You don’t need to be so stiff around us two.” He finally said. I stayed silent. “There’s not much to do really. So here. Put this cotton in your mouth to stop the bleeding.” He handed me a ball of cotton.

I slowly took it and put it in the spot where it was bleeding. Jongup got up and sat down next to me. I tried to get up and leave but he wrapped his arm around my shoulders so that I couldn’t budge. “Why are you acting as if we hate you?” Jongup asked blatantly. “W-Well aren’t you mad at me?” I hesitantly asked. Jongup just laughed. “For what?” Himchan asked this time. “F-For upsetting Daehyun. I know you’re really close to him and I-I…” I couldn’t finish my sentence. Jongup continued to laugh. Himchan shook his head and sighed once more. He stood up from his spot and sat on the other side of me placing a hand on my knee. “Zelo…there’s just somethings you don’t understand yet or won’t understand.” He began. I looked down shamefully. “But we aren’t mad at you.” He assured.

“Daehyun probably is though.” Jongup stated. Himchan glared at him. “I figured. “ I muttered. “You didn’t know. That’s all.” Himchan said trying to make me feel better. “Didn’t know what?” I asked not understanding what he meant. They were hiding something and didn’t want to tell me and now Daehyun is getting mad at me for doing something that I had no idea what it was I did. I should be the one mad. How could they let something like this happen? How could they even watch? “It has to do with that boy.” Jongup finally said. “What boy?” I questioned. “The one you saved…his name is Youngjae.” He answered. Youngjae? What? How? What could he have done that was so wrong?!

“What? Him? How?” I was very confused. I didn’t want to believe them, I couldn’t. For some strange reason I was beginning to feel offended. Jongup just shrugged, “I asked Daehyun the same thing, that Youngjae guy is just so weak. But Daehyun says he’s very smart and you can’t trust people like him. Daehyun says that no matter how nice they are or seem all they are looking to do is steal from you, lie and ruin your family.” Jongup said very nonchalant. I didn’t believe what I was hearing. “Daehyun says all these things he says is to protect us. He says it’s the worst thing he’s ever experienced and that they’re all the same.” Jongup went on.

“He also says-,” “Daehyun says…Daehyun says…Daehyun says…” I mimicked angrily, cutting him off. Jongup stopped and looked at me about to say something but I stopped him again, standing up. “Is Daehyun some world class expert on low class people? Or what you call peasants?! Has he lived amongst them?! Was he ever one?! Did he do some scientific study on them as if…as if they were animals?” I burst.

Jongup remained silent. “How could you guys just sit there…a-and watch them being terrorized as if it were some…some show?! Did you do it because ‘Daehyun says’ it’s okay? Since he’s some expert?!” I went on getting more heated.

“Junhong-ah…” Himchan reached out for me but I pulled away from him. “…then what do you guys think of me? How can you possibly be my ‘friend’?” I said in disgust. I looked at both of them but they were lost for words. “…it’s because of Yongguk huh? I know Daehyun doesn’t like me. It’s like what he says ‘peasants will always be peasants and they’re all alike’. I was born into the same class as that Youngjae guy Daehyun hates so much. So what makes me an exception?” and with that I left the place closing the door behind me.

I leaned my back against the door and sighed. What did I just do? Did I go too far? I’ve never been that way with my hyungs. They’re older than me. Was that too disrespectful? Plus they are higher ranked. It’s too late now though. There’s no turning back. I’ll just have to stand my ground…but I’m not that strong mentally. “Aish. I’m going crazy.” I said to myself and ran off.

-Jongup’s POV-

 It was still silent after Zelo left. “He’ll come back.” I said trying to reassure the worried Himchan. “He’s not that mentally strong anyway.” I added.

“Is that all you can think about?! ‘Ah~ there’s no worries he’ll come back anyway so let me sit here on my and wait here like a jerk?’” Himchan burst. Why was everyone bursting out of nowhere all of sudden? I didn’t like it. “Did you even listen to anything he said?” Himchan spat. “Of course I did!” I snapped. “He’s not going to come back. We have to find him.” He said looking away. “No. Let him cool down. It’ll only make things worse.” I instructed. “We can’t just sit here and wait! He’ll get hurt.” Himchan protested.

"Zelo is smart. He’ll be okay. But we can’t just go up to him without thinking about what he said. Or else there’ll be more problems.” I said. Himchan leaned back in his seat putting a hand over his forehead closing his eyes. “We shouldn’t have done this. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing.” He sighed. “What’s done is done. We can’t do anything about it. All we can do is try to understand and fix things.” I told him.

“Zelo must be really hurting right now. I wonder what he saw. Where did he go? Jongup we really messed up.” Himchan went back and forth worrying over him. “Yah! Mopping isn’t going to do anything. Stop worrying so much and think.” I said. “Zelo thinks we hate him.” I began. Himchan nodded. “Is…Is that true?” I asked actually feeling somewhat nervous. I had never actually really thought about it before…from Zelo’s point of view. We only accepted him because Yongguk made us. No one trusted him, except for Yongguk. But after messing with him for a while I actually grew to like him. Even Himchan liked him a lot.

But Daehyun was the only one who kept his distance. He didn’t trust Zelo one bit, because of his status, and we had always respected that because Daehyun was our closest friend he came first, before Zelo. But all Yongguk asked of Daehyun was to be nice to Zelo and Deahyun reluctantly agreed. I guess Zelo sensed all the uneasiness and avoided interefering with Daehyun. But Zelo isn’t that bad he’s a really good kid. This all honestly stems back to that Youngjae guy, that bastard really messed up our Daehyun.

 "We need to find that Youngjae kid.” I announced. Himchan looked at me and nodded.

“Where’s Zelo?” a deep sounding voice suddenly asked. The two of us froze and slowly turned our heads to see Yongguk and Daehyun, who was behind him. “He…he left.” Himchan sighed. “Where did he go?” Yongguk questioned. “We don’t know.” Himchan confess. Yongguk was about to go back out but Daehyun grabbed his arm.

“How could you let him go like that?!” Yongguk suddenly burst in anger. “He…just stormed off.” Himchan said. I was really getting tired of all of these outbursts. “Then why didn’t you go after him?!” Yongguk continued to snap.

 “Do you guys even care?” Yongguk yanked his arm and walked up towards us. I stood up and stopped him by placing my hand on his chest. “Yah. Stop right there. Do you seriously think that we don’t care? Tch…You didn’t even give us the chance to explain.” I said to him. Yongguk glared at me. I wasn’t scared of him, I just simply stood my ground. “Well now that I have your full attention and silence…let me explain.” I said removing my hand from his chest, I shoved them inside my pockets. “After you two left Himchan worked on his wond as Yongguk ‘asked’. Zelo was acting weird around us as if we were some kind of strangers…” I paused in the middle of my story.

 “And?” Youngguk questioned impatiently. I sat back down and got comfortable before continuing. Daehyun watched me carefully, “…and so I pointed it out to him. That’s when he burst out at us, same way you just burst at Himchan. And then he stormed out. I told Himchan not to go after him.” I finished. Daehyun rolled his eyes. “Why?” Yongguk asked forcing himself to calm down. “Simple. It would be best for him to cool down first so that we don’t make anything worse than it already is.” I answered.

 “How long ago did he leave?” Yongguk asked. But I didn’t respond, knowing that he would go looking for him. “He left not too long ago, about 5 minutes ago.” Himchan answered once he realized that I wasn’t going to answer. I sent him a quick glare but he didn’t look back at me. So, I glared harder hoping that he would feel it burn on his neck and turn and look at me. “Daehyun. Let’s go.” Yongguk ordered. “Don’t go!” I demanded. “Why not?” Yongguk challenged. I stopped glaring at Himchan because my eyes were beginning to hurt. “You really think that he wants to see you two? Out of all people?” I said being honest with him.

He sighed heavily and took a seat in defeat. “So what are we supposed to do?” He questioned. “Just think…think deeply about his situation and what would be the best way to handle it.” I said plainly. “Channie come outside with me. I want to take a long walk.” I said stretching. He glared back at me, but I gave him a look that told him that I needed to tell him something. He got the hint and silently stood up and the two of us went outside and took a walk.

“Don’t tell them about what Zelo said.” I finally said once we were far enough. “What? Why not?” Himchan asked. I shook my head, am I the only smart one around here? Like seriously. “Ah…my poor Channie cannot get a hint. Oh~ he knows nothing.” I said. “Tell me already.” He demanded rolling his eyes. I wrapped my arom around his shoulders and chuckled a bit. Why do you think he said that to just us? Why didn’t he say it earlier when Daehyun and Yongguk were around huh? He was asking for help.” I explained. Himchan thought for a while before speaking again. “Fine…I’ll go with your plan.” He finally sighed giving in. “Good…and one more thing.” I said.

 “What is it now?” He asked in annoyance. “Stop sighing.” I said. “Why?” He asked sounding even more irritated. “It’s annoying.” I smiled.

-Zelo’s POV-

                I found my way back to Youngjae’s house. But on my way there I saw a guy crying over the same deceased woman that Youngjae was crying out to earlier. That must be his mother. Everything was so sad and gloomy. The sky was a dark gray and everything was a mess and some things were completely destroyed. It was all just a very depressing mood.

                I arrived at Youngjae’s home to see a sleeping Youngjae. I don’t know why but it brought a smile to my face. I sat by him and watched him sleep calmly. I saw that he was holding a teddy bear. It made me laugh a bit to see another grown person sleeping with his stuffed animal. See Yongguk I’m not the only one. Ugh! Yongguk. I didn’t want to think about him. I couldn’t explain what it was nor could I describe it. Was I feeling betrayed? Angry? Used? Sad? Jealous? What was it that I was feeling? I don’t know. Maybe Youngjae could help.

                Hmmm…I wonder why he helped me? I’m just a stranger who doesn’t even belong here. I looked around the home. Should I just leave? But where were his parents? I looked back down at him. For some reason I felt this strange urge to stay here with him.  I guess I’ll stay and wait a bit until his parents came back, so he wouldn’t be alone.

                I laid down and rested my eyes. I ended up falling fast asleep. It was a nice refreshing kind of sleep.

 

 

                “Hey wake-up.” I heard someone whisper in the middle of my nap. “W-Wake up.” The voice sounded distant but it began to get slower. I felt someone gently pushed me. “Wake up.” The voice was close now. I finally woke up at the sound of a deathly cough.

                It was Youngjae. He was on his knees in his same spot. He looked at me with large sleepy eyes. “Oh! You’re awake.” I said awkwardly, sitting up. “Why are you here?” he asked weakly. “Oh I…uh…um…well I was…uh...Just…” I didn’t know what to say.

                What could I say? ‘Oh I’m here because I wanted to stay’? Or ‘I’m watching over you till your parents come.’ Neither of them sounded right to me. Youngjae sighed, “Do you want to stay?” It was like he read my mind!! I looked down shamefully. “I’ll leave if you want me to.” I said quietly a bit embarrassed. But I did pray that he’d let me stay, I didn’t want to go back to the others, and it was too long of a way to return home on foot. “You can. If you want.” He said. “R-Really?!” I asked surprised but happy at the same time.

                He nodded. “We quote on quote ‘peasants’ have to look out for…each o-other…even though things don’t…run like th-that here anymore. You s-seem like a k-kind person…a-and you s-saved my l-l-life…thank you.” He struggled to say, smiling weakly.

                Wow. He considered me once of them! I’ve never been accepted anywhere. All of the rich kids bullied me because my mother was poor. All of the peasant kids avoided and ignored me, excluding me from their group because of my wealthy dad. So I never really had any friends growing up until I met Prince Yongguk.

                “Wh-Why do you look s-so shocked?” Youngjae asked noticing my expression. “It’s just that…you consider me just like you guys. Where I live everyone excludes me and then I’m bullied by the rich kids.” I said a bit surprised that I actually told him that. I never talked to the others about it because I knew they would try to do something and it’ll just turn into a bigger mess. “Tch…rich kids.” He murmured weakly. “Do…do you not like rich kids?” I asked him. He nodded. “Oh…” was all I could say.

                “It looks like the guards had mercy on you.” He said changing the subject. “Huh? Oh…H-How did you know that I got caught by the guards?” I asked.

                “I knew that you were going to get caught, since you aren’t from here.” He said nonchalantly. “Oh…” I said feeling my cheek. It still hurt a bit. “T-Take the cotton out your mouth…it’s not going to help. It’ll only hold all you blood…back.” He said weakly. I was kind of surprised that he knew that I had a cotton in my mouth. I took the cotton piece out of my mouth. “Lift up the wood at that corner.” Youngjae instructed pointing in the direction.

                I obeyed and got up lifting the wood. There was a square shaped hole filled with containers and bags. “Grab th-the container with the…green stuff in it.” Youngjae coughed. I grabbed the container closing the wood thing back and sat back down besides Youngjae. I handed him the container. He opened it motioning me to lean closer. I leaned in closer and he put the stuff on my cheek. Instantly it was absorbed through the pores of my cheek and it healed that very instant…as if I had never been hit. “W-W-Wow! What? What is that?” I was lost for words. He shrugged. “I don’t really know…my mom makes it.” He said closing it. I put the container back and sat back by Youngjae.

                It was silent, all we could hear were the mournful cries of the people outside. Youngjae slowly traced his finger along the wall as silent tears streamed down his cheek, “Jiho-ah.” He barely even spoke to a whisper. Several minutes later he eventually fell back asleep. I watched him sadly. I really wanted to help him.

-Youngjae’s POV-

                The next day I woke up to see that Zelo kid was still here. I struggled to sit back up, my body had stiffened up. I observed the kid, he looked really comfortable as strands of his blonde hair fell across his eyes.

                I sighed to myself thinking about Jiho’s mother. I wasn’t just sad because of his loss but also because of what may happen to Jiho.

                I have to get up. But I couldn’t the pain was overwhelming, parts of me were numb, my body was stiff and once more I was not strong enough to lift my limp body up.

                Even if I could find a way to get up what would I do when I get out of the house? Crawl over to Jiho’s house? I would easily be kicked out by Mr.Woo and Jiho would just get beat for me by going over there just like that. All I can do is just lay here with the Zelo kid and wait for my mom to come back.

She should be home by now, but I guess since she’s sick it may take her a while. I’ll just wait here a little longer before worrying.

I looked at Niko. “Did you know that this would happen?” I asked the teddy bear. “You had a bad feeling too like mom huh?” I said. The stuffed animal just looked straight forward. “Ah…you’re looking at the kid aren’t you?” I teased. “Why is he here? You ask.” It took me a while to come up with the answer. Why was he here? Why did I let him stay here? Was it because I pitied him? Or because he saved me. “I don’t know.” I confessed. Niko just continued to stare. “Did you know that Jiho’s mother…passed away?” I asked trying hard not to choke up. The bear looked really sad at this point. I hugged it tightly trying hard not to cry. “I-I hope one of the others go visit h-him today.” I sniffled.

I started thinking about Daehyun…he’s changed a lot…physically that is. I hted him more than ever now. Firt he practically kills both of Ukwon’s parents. Then he kills Jiho’s mother…just to show off to his stupid friends. This is all a game to him. Isn’t it?!

I heard Zelo yawn. He stretched, signaling that he was waking up. I quickly wiped my tears and turned to face him. I forced a weak smile to greet him. He just looked back at me sleepily and tilted his head. I couldn’t help but let out a tiny laugh…he looked kind of cute that way.

“Y-You’re eyes are red…” He said still half awake. “Were…you crying?” I slowly nodded. He sighed helplessly. “I’m sorry. I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry I can’t help you.” He apologized sadly. “It’s fine. You don’t have to do anything. You can’t anyway…it’s a personal thing.” I assurd him. It sounds like you’re getting stronger.” He said forcing a smile. All I could do was nod. I tried to sit up but the attempt ended up as a complete failure. So Zelo had to help me up. I felt like a helpless old man being taken care of by a youngster from next door. “Thank you.” I said shamefully. “Is there anything that I can do for you? Like any errands that you usually do?” He asked. I shook my head sadly. “There’s nothing to do at this point but recover from what happened yesterday. Things should somewhat…be back to normal.” I said.

Zelo hung his head down. “I’m…sorry.” He kept apologizing. “Don’t apologize.” You didn’t do this…” I assured him. He just gave me a sad smile in response.

-Jongup’s POV-

                “Jongup! Come setup your horse.” Himchan demanded. Yongguk had ordered us (well he ordered Himchan and I but asked Daehyun) to help him search for Zelo. We were in the stables. They were settling up their horses as I just leaned against the wall my arms crossed watching them. “Tch.” Was my response to the elder. Himchan gave me look that said ‘I’m trying to keep you from getting in trouble by Yongguk.’ “He’s not my dad.” I scoffed. That’s when the other too looked at me.

                I smirked at the Himchan that was now glaring at me. “Ugh. Why is everyone such a downer?” I complained. “Are you really getting worked up over some kid?” I challenged, mainly to Yongguk, who (as planned) got mad. Yongguk instantly stormed at me grabbing my collar. “What did you say?” he breathed angrily. “You heard me.” I smiled. Finally some fun. He pressed me hard against the wall. “Junhong isn’t just some kid! Do you really not care?! He could be hurt, kidnapped! And you’re here acting as if this is just some game?!” He continued angrily. “Eh…please don’t spit on my face. I would really appreciate it.” I said nonchalantly. Now at this point Yongguk was practically choking me.

                “Yah?! Do you wanna die?!” He spat. This is the part where Himchan is supposed to beg Yongguk to stop and give me mercy, but instead Himchan just stood there his arms crossed shaking his head watching the scene unfold. It almost looked as if he were enjoying this. Wow Channie way to ruin the fun now I’m going to have to wing everything. I don’t want to have to fight you Yongguk, but if it gets to that point you can blame mother Himchan over there.

                “You know that wouldn’t be so bad.” I remarked. Yongguk’s grip tightened. “That would be nice. So then I won’t have to watch you guys mess up Junhong even more.” I added.

                Yongguk shoved me to the ground and lifted me up a little by the collar about to throw a punch. “Yongguk!” Daehyun called. Yongguk’s fist shook in disbelief thinking about what was actually about to do. He let go of me and I let myself fall to the ground and started laughing. They all looked at me as if I were crazy.

                Daehyun was the first one to crack a smirk. “You’re crazy.” Yongguk remarked holding his hand out to help me up. I took his hand and was pulled up. “No. I was just bored.” I said dusting myself off. I winked at Himchan whose mouth had dropped wide open in disbelief. “I was actually expecting Himchan to do something.” Youngguk admitted hanging his arm over the said member.

                “Me too.” I smirked. Himchan shut his moth and gave me a stink eye. “You must’ve done something that made him mad. That’s probably why he was about to let you die?” Daehyun laughed. “I wouldn’t have died…I could take Yongguk.” I said proudly. “Uh huh? Oh really?” Yongguk questioned raising an eyebrow. I placed my hands on my hips. “Yes…Really.” I challenged. “I’d like to see that.” Daehyun smiled. “I’d be on Yongguk’s side.” Himchan stated, he was still mad. “Awe! Channie, don’t be like that.” I playfully pouted. I walked up behind him and put my chin on his shoulder.

                “Don’t call me that.” He said coldly. “Awe Channie~…Did I upset you?” I wrapped my arms around his waist. I could tell that my sudden action shocked him and made him completely uncomfortable, but he tried to not show it. “Ge-Get off of me! Let go!” He stumbled trying to shove me off of him, but I was stronger so I only held onto him tighter. “How about we ask Daehyun for that room huh?” I whispered in his ear. He punched me in my face. “Ah!” I held my nose letting go of him. It didn’t really hurt but I went with it so I wouldn’t hurt his pride too much. The other two laughed at us. Himchan hopped on his horse and said, “Are we going?” He huffed.

                Without another word Daehyun and Yongguk got on their own horses as well. I sighed. “I guess I’ll go too, but if we see him just leave him alone. When he’s ready he’ll come back.” I said getting on my own horse and we were off.

                First we rode around the palace grounds to see if he had even left the palace. And we didn’t find him anywhere…good. Next we rode our horses around the wealthy neighborhoods.

                “Ooooh~…there’s a lot of pretty women here. Is this where your concubines come from?” I snickered in Daehyun’s ear. The elder just elbowed me in my stomach. “Ow…geez I was just saying that Junhong might’ve hid here.” I mumbled, pretending to be innocent. “…and if we did then we won’t be seeing him for a while.” I snickered quietly. Surprisingly Yongguk heard me and reached over and hit me hard on the back of my head. “Ow!” I whined rubbing the back of it. “Yah! That hurt!” I snapped. It really stung. The others only laughed at my pain.

                Women kept coming up to us. They asked us questions, giggled, gave us food and gifts. “Ah~…they are so pretty.” I kept saying. Himchan kept giving me the stink eye so I looked at him and smiled sweetly. “Don’t worry Channie none of their beauty can ever be compared to yours.” I teased a bit. He just blushed and looked away.

                After looking through the wonderful world filled with beautiful women it was time to enter the underworld, filled with peasants. Honestly I don’t mind them, they’re still human and I find them adorable.

                It was dark, gray, gloomy, and just dreadful. Everything was a mess. Food, wood, clothing, and people were all scattered on the ground lifelessly. The people that were alive sluggishly picked up bits and pieces cleaning the place up. When someone saw us they would tremble in fear, the adults fell to their knees and the children ran away. It was actually a pretty sad scene. I wanted to at least feel pity for them but I couldn’t, it was just the way I grew up.

                We roamed around the dreadful area silently. There was no sign of Junhong anywhere. I honestly doubted that he would run to a place this gloomy. Junhong was a joyful colorful kid, and I don’t think he would be able to withstand being in a place this depressing. But then again I had a hunch that Junghong was here with that Youngjae guy. But I didn’t say anything.

                Himchan looked at Yongguk and Daehyun as if to tell them something and they looked back at him as if to respond. Hey! How come I’m not a part of this mind reading conversation?

                I tried to look at Himchan so that he’d include me, but he didn’t even glance at me once. He knew I was looking at him too. It’s okay though. I already knew what they were planning to do anyway. They were going to go to Youngjae’s place. I looked around the place and spotted someone wearing a dark blue cloak behind a broken stand. It was the same hooded cloak that Junhong was wearing yesterday when he was caught by the guards. Wait. It was Junhong!

                He was hiding from us. I smiled a bit thinking how cute he was hiding, thinking that we wouldn’t see him even though that was a terrible hiding spot. “Ah~…little Junhong you have a lot to learn. I’ll help you out a little bit.” I turned to the others.

                “Hey! You guys I don’t see him anywhere. I doubt that he would be in a place this gloomy right now. He probably just went home.” I said to them. Himchan gave me a suspicious look. “I guess you’re right. We probably should go back.” Yongguk sighed sounding disappointed. And so we left. You’re welcome Junhong.

-Zelo’s POV-

                I had went out to see how everything was. It was a pitiful scene. I was ashamed. Back at my home town things like this never happened. Yeah we were treated unfairly but never to this extent. I was lucky to live in the Bang Kingdom.

                As I roamed around I helped people along the way. It was honestly kind of scary. The people here weren’t very friendly. They gave me cruel looks as if it were my fault, even kids looked fearful of me and ran away whenever I got close. It hurt. They needed help but they were so beaten down that they were too afraid to get help from people they didn’t know.

                I decided to turn back and go to Youngjae…at least he was nice. But some boys ran right passed me as if they were running away from something. I turned around to see what was going on and I saw them! They were looking for me. I should’ve known, but I thought at least Jongup would understand and stop them.

                I quickly hid behind a broken stand and watched them. No one was saying anything, they were just giving each other looks. I laughed silently at the fact that they left Jongup out of their mental conversation.

                That’s when I caught Jongup’s eye He saw me! Oh no! I crouched down lower, but that didn’t do anything. He smiled and turned towards the others. Please Jongup, please don’t say anything. Please~.

                “Hey you guys I don’t see him anywhere. I doubt that he would be in aplace this gloomy right now. He probably went home.” I heard him say. I smiled. Thank you Jongup. They all silently nodded. “I guess you’re right. We should go back.” I saw Yongguk sigh sadly.

                It hurt me to see how sad and worried he was because of me. I could tell him that he and Daehyun had been fighting. This was all my fault. I just wanted to jump out and run up to him and tell him that I was fine and for him to not be sad or to argue with Daehyun.

                But I couldn’t, I had the feeling that I needed to stay here a little longer. I’m sorry Yongguk. With that I ran back to Youngjae’s place once they were gone.

                “Are you okay? You look sad.” Youngjae asked when I returned. He was still in his same spot in. “It’s-It’s really depressing out there.” I answered sitting back down beside him. Youngjae only nodded and sighed. “I don’t like sad stuff like this. It-It kind of scares me in a way.” I said quietly as tears began to fill the wells of my eyes. Youngjae looked at me and place a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry. We’re used to this kind of treatment. Tomorrow everything will be back to normal, it has too.” He assured, but he sounded too sad to sound convincing. I didn’t say anything.

                “Zelo-ah. How old are you?” Youngjae asked as a tear slipped down my cheek. “15…I-I turn 16 this year. Wh-Why?” I sniffed. “To take your mind off of this situation.” He smiled.

                I was taken aback by his smile, it wasn’t a sad one or a weak smile or forced. It was a real legit smile. His smile warmed me almost like how Yongguk’s does. “Y-Youngjae-ssi?” I stuttered. “Yeah?” “C-Can you…Can you tell me about yourself? Like your life?” I asked blushing a little feeling slightly embarrassed. He let out a slight laugh.

                I don’t know why but I was amazed by his smile and his little laugh. They were both…perfect almost. “Well…my full name is Yoo Youngjae and I’m 17 years old and I’ve been living here all my life.” He began. I listened to him intently.

                I was amazed by his story. He started working as soon as he turned 7. His mother seems like an amazing and nice lady too. He doesn’t know anything about his father but that he isn’t a good man. He’s also extremely smart, maybe that’s why he was able to tell that I wasn’t from here so quickly. It sounds like he has really cool friends too.

“As you saw earlier, for some reason I’m very weak.” He laughed. I smiled nodding. I could tell that He wasn’t telling me something, however. Something that had to do with his past. And at times he got angry when he talked about some parts of his childhood. “Um…Have you uh…ever met the prince before?” I asked uneasily.

Youngjae’s smile vanished. Awe man! I hope I didn’t upset him! “I never ever liked rich people or the royals. I hated them they’re all idiots…except for one of them.” He sighed.

“Prince Daehyun is the one who made me hate the royal and rich people even more than I already did. I didn’t even think that it was possible. But he made it possible.” He went on, narrowing his eyes. I could tell that he was getting angry. “Wh-What happened between the two of you?” I asked this time getting a little bit nosey.

Youngjae took a deep breath and closed his eyes to calm himself down. “I don’t think now is the best time to tell you.” He said. “Oh…I uh…heard that he’s an amazing, friendly, and loyal kind person.” I sighed. It wasn’t a lie. I do hear about how great he is and all.

“Tch…loyal? Kind? Please. Maybe it’s just me. He doesn’t care for a lowly person like me. We’re just like toys to him that he can easily throw away and treat like trash.” Youngjae scoffed. “Oh. Yeah, he’s not that nice to me either…” I said unconsciously.

“What? You’ve met him?” He asked sounding surprised. Oh no! I shouldn’t have said that. I don’t want him to know that I’m friends with Daehyun! I have to come up with something quick!

I shook my head vigorously. “Oh-Oh no! Well, when I got caught…he uh wasn’t very friendly…Yeah~.” I said satisfied with my cover up. Youngjae just laughed. “Wh-What’s so funny?” I asked confused. “Nothing Zelo. It’s nothing.” He said smiling brightly.

All I could do was blink. Wow1 He really does have an amazing smile.

The rest of the day went by pretty nicely. Youngjae is actually a playful person, he’s not all serious as he seems to be at first. He’s really fun.

The next morning I woke up to a loud crashing sound. I quickly sat up and looked around worried that someone might’ve broken in. I spotted Youngjae on the ground by the door. He groaned in pain. I got up and ran straight to him. “Youngjae-ssi…Youngjae-ssi. Are you alright? What happened? Did someone hurt you?” I questioned in near panic not knowing what to do. “Y-Yes I’m fine.” He said weakly, trying to smile, but it was obvious that he was in pain.

“What happened?” I asked helping him up and took him back to is pile of blankets. “I-I was trying to get up and walk and I fell.” He pouted. I couldn’t help but smile a little, he sounded like a little kid. “Why?” I asked. “I have to work in the fields.” He answered. “What? You can’’t go…not today. You’re in a bad condition. Can’t you take a day off?” I asked. Youngjae shook his head. “I already did yesterday.” He answered. “But no one worked yesterday.” I pointed out.

“Zelo…I have to go. I can’t miss a day. I need the money, as much as I can get.” He said desperately. “No Youngjae. I can give you money!” I said without thinking. “Wh-What?” he asked surprised.

Stupid! Are you trying to blow your cover? He can’t know about my wealthy dad…or else he’ll hate me. “I-I mean…what I meant was that I will go in for you, and I’ll give you the money I received.” I covered once again. I need to be more careful.

“I can’t make you do that.” He said shaking his head. “Why not?” I asked. “Because you’re not from here. Plus there are guards out there today and they may arrest you for rescuing me.” He said. He was right. I could get arrested, but he doesn’t know that I won’t or can’t. But if I am caught by the guards they may drag me back to the castle.

“I’m still going.” I urged. The elder sighed again. “…Fine. Put on that straw hat and the cloth on your head so at least they won’t see your face. Don’t wear that cloak or they might notice you.” He instructed. I did as he told me and got ready for my first day on the job.

“Bye Youngjae. I’ll be back.” I waved exiting the small humbled home. Everything was up and running as if nothing happened, except for the gloomy sky that remained dark and gray. Youngjae was right. Everything was back to normal (if this is even considered normal) and there were guards everywhere. Some just stood there and guarded while others taunted the poor people. Though it wasn’t all that good, I was glad to see that there were no more dead bodies lying on the ground.

It was a long walk to the fields. Good thing I made Youngjae stay, he wouldn’t have made it. But when I got there I was stunned. It was so bright and peaceful, you could even see the sun. This place was really beautiful. Everyone actually seemed happy working here. They were chattering and laughing.

An old man came to me with a warm smile. “Hello boy, are you lost?” he aked gently. I had to blink a couple of times so that my eyes could adjust, before answering. The old man chuckled. “Oh-Oh N-No sir. I’m filling in for Y-Youngjae, sir.” I said blushing a bit from nervousness and embarrassment. I wasn’t really use to talking to strangers.

“Oh~…Youngjae? Really? Is he not coming today?” the man asked a bit surprised. I nodded. “He’s in a really bad condition right now so I made him stay home and that I’ll go in his place.” I explained. “Hahaha…You made him? I see. I didn’t know he had a younger brother.” The man chuckled. “He’s-He’s not my-,” but the man left before I could finish.

Seconds later the old man came back with some tools in his hands. “Here. You’ll need these.” He said handing them to me. “We’re divided up into sections. Youngjae works over there with his friends, where those groups of boys are.” He said pointing to the direction. “Okay. Thank You.” I bowed and headed in the direction where he was pointing.

There were six boys working and chatting amongst themselves. They were happy but they didn’t seem as happy as the others. I took a spot alone, away from them so that I wouldn’t be another, and started my work.

As I began to work the boys started whispering. I was getting a bit uncomfortable I had a feeling that they were talking about me. Just then one of them came up to me. “Yah! What’s your name?” he asked.

I didn’t answer and continued with my work. The boy scoffed. What was I supposed to do? Should I tell him my name? Should I even respond? It’s probably a silly thing to get worked up over…but I didn’t know what to do. “Hey, I’m not gonna hurt you.” He whispered. His voice sounded awfully familiar however. Which only made it worse. “Yah. Yah. Yah. Okay. I’ll introduce myself first. I’m Kyung. Park Kyung.” He said in a friendly tone. I slowly looked up at him and his eyes widened, mine did too.

“Hey! Aren’t you that Zelo kid? The one who we were supposed to help escape along with that little girl? The other day?” He asked a bit stunned. I slowly nodded. His expression instantly changed to a friendly smile. “Ah! I was afraid that you might’ve gotten caught by the guards when you ran off. I’m glad you’re fine.” He said patting my back. “O-O-Oh.” Was all I could say. “Why’re you so far away? Come on we won’t bite. Hehehe, if one of them do I’ll gladly bite them back for you.” He joked.

I gathered my stuff and followed close behind him. Once we reached the group Kyung put his arm around my shoulders. “Attention Everyone!” Kyung called. They all looked up at him. “This is my new founded little brother…Zelo.” He announced. One of the boys squinted at me, he was one of the guys that were helping me to try to escape during the raid too, like Kyung.

“Isn’t he the guy that we were supposed to help escape the other day?” The boy asked Kyung suspiciously. “Yes Jaehyo.” Kyung answered sounding annoyed. So his name is Jaehyo, I noted that in my mind. But there were two other people who helped me as well. “Yay! You’re alive!” One of the other boys jumped giving me a hug. He had a rough deep voice. I would’ve been scared but he had also helped me. He was the one who talked to me the most, Jihoon. “Ah. Too bad Jiho isn’t here. He would’ve been glad to see you alive. He was worried the most that you wouldn’t have made it.” Kyung told me.

“D-Did he perhaps…die?” I asked a bit scared and sad for the Jiho guy. Kyung just busted out laughing.“No. He’s just not here today.” He laughed. I was relieved.

“Why is he your little brother?” Jihoon asked. “Because he’s cute and adorable, like me. So we have some relation duh. So I need to teach him how to stay cute and adorable. Kyung replied in a know-it-all tone. “Then why don’t you just become his teacher then?” one of the unfamiliar guys challenged. “Ugh…that’s too complicated.” Kyung responded. The guy just shook his head, he smiled at me then went back to his work. “That guy who just spoke is Minhyuk, you don’t want to hang around him he thinks he knows it all.” Kyung whispered in my ear.

“You’re not very good at whispering.” Another unfamiliar face commented, he was right next to the Minhyuk guy. “And that’s Ukwon. He and Minhyuk are around each other all the time, so you don’t want to separate the two of-,” “And that’s Taeil!” Jihoon announced happily interrupting Kyung. Taeil waved at me with friendly smile. He was so small and cute looking.

Kyung removed his arm from my shoulders and walked over to Jihoon. “Yah~ Jihoon…Jihoon my dear old friend, I was going to do introduce Taeil…You know I don’t like being interrupted.” Kyung complained but in a negotiate tone. I couldn’t help but laugh a little, the way that Kyung spoke was kind of funny.

“See now you have my little brother laughing at me.” Kyung said. Jihoon placed his hand on Kyung’s shoulder. “That means you’re funny hyung.” Jihoon laughed. “Actually he was laughing at Kyung, not at his jokes.” Taeil corrected. Awe! He even had an adorable cute voice! “So that means Kyung is funny…looking.” Ukwon joked. Everyone laughed at this except for Kyung. I couldn’t help but let out a small laugh too.

Kyung walked away in defeat. “You guys are so cruel.” He mumbled. “Especially you! Ukwon! You’re a big bully.” He accused. “What? I’m the-,” “Hey! Hey! Stop. I don’t want you guys to fight.” Jihoon interrupted Ukwon. “Especially since Youngjae and Jiho aren’t here to stop you two.” Jihoon pouted.

Everyone went silent and the mood became a bit gloomy and sad. “I hope Youngjae is okay.” Jaehyo said softly. “What happened to him anyway?” Minhyuk asked. “Some stupid guards dragged him away from us. I don’t know what they did to him though.” Kyung answered. “They probably took him to the Prince. Like they did during the first Great Raid.” Taeil pointed out quietly.

“What could he want with Youngjae now?! Huh?” Kyung said getting angry. “Why is Prince Daehyun so mean to Youngjae? I thought they were friends.” Jihoon pouted. Friends? But I thought they were enemies. “Tch…friends.” Kyung scoffed. “Th-They were friends?” I asked quietly unsure whether or not it was a good idea to do so or not.

They all nodded. “Or so we thought.” Ukwon mumbled. “Wh-What happened between the two of them?” I asked still hesitant, I didn’t want to push my limits or cross the line too much. They remained silent for a few seconds “It’s something that you wouldn’t want to hear little brother. It’s a really sad story.” Kyung was the one to speak. “It will be better to ask Youngjae for yourself. He doesn’t want anyone else to know about it.” Ukwon added. I just nodded and began to do my work again. I wonder what happened that was so bad. I was in complete shock, I never imagined that they’d be friends at one point.

“I’m really worried about Youngjae. He never misses a day of work.” Minhyuk said minutes later. “Me too.” Ji hoon pouted some more. “Do you think…he’s dead?” Minhyuk whispered. Jaehyo hit him on the top of his head. “I don’t know. Why don’t you try to talk to him?” Ukwon joked. “You’re creepy.” Jaehyo said in disgust. “It’s not my fault that I can talk to dead people.” Minhyuk smiled.

“Youngjae is fine.” I spoke up, trying to keep myself from laughing at Jaehyo’s facial expression towards Minhyuk. “How do you know?” Jihoon asked hopefully. I suddenly became shy again, but I explained to them how I saved him and have been helping him out the past couple of days. “So that’s where you ran off to?” Jaehyo asked after I finished explaining. I nodded. Kyung wrapped his arm around me. “See? My little brother is a hero! Just like me.” He announced proudly. I blushed in embarrassment. “Yay!” Jihoon cheered. He hugged me lifting me off the ground and spun me around. I was shocked on how strong he was, or was it that I was that light.

“So how is he?” Taeil asked with bright eyes, he was just so adorable. Jihoon put me down and I told him about his condition and his broken arm. “Oh! You’re a good man.” Kyung said patting my back. “Wow! Did you see what happened to him?” Minhyuk asked. I thought back on that memory. It was really a crutial memory. I didn’t want to think about it, it scared me too much. But it’s their friend who they’ve known all of their lives, they have a right to know. “I-I only saw some of it…I saw when they broke his arm…and when they…nearly killed him by the sword.” I said quietly. This earned a few gasp.

“B-But Jongu-…Um one of the Prince’s companions stopped the guard and said not to kill him with the swoard. And so the two guards lifted him in the air and were gonna drop him…on his head. But! I caught him before they could.” I was relieved when I finally finished.

Their faces were horrified. “I-If th-they would have dropped him then…he would have definetly have…died.” Taeil spoke up in pure disbelief and fear. “But thanks to you Youngjae is still alive. Thank you.” He smiled his eyes getting moist.

“Jiho will be happy to hear that you’re alive and that you saved Jae.” Jaehyo smiled. I honestly felt really honored by their gradituted, even though I felt like I didn’t deserve it. “Is-Is he the one…whose mother died?” I asked.

Everyone’s eyes widened. “Wh-Wh-What?” Minhyuk was lost for words. “We’ll talk about that later. We’ll visit him after work.” Jaehyo spoke calmly, though he acted calm I could tell that he was just as surprised and…terrified. I wanted to know what was wrong. They didn’t seem that sad by the news they seemed more scared about something. But I figured I’d find out later.

For the rest of the day I had a good time. They were really nice, funny, and extremely nice. I quickly learned a lot about them. They seemed to trust me easily since I was taking care of Youngjae. Ukwon and Kyung fought a lot. Jaehyo says that it’s normal and that Jiho and Youngjae are the only ones who could stop them. Minhyuk was really strange but he’s really cool. I was surprised to learn that Taeil was older than me and that Jihoon was younger than all of them besides Youngjae. Jihoon is really funny and nice, he’s full of a lot of energy. Taeil was mainly quiet.

I especially liked how they made me feel really comfortable like I belonged. Back when I hung out with the others I felt accepted but I could always feel like I never really belonged. Don’t get me wrong I always enjoyed myself hanging out with them, but with these guys had nothing to hide between each other or even me, and it felt really good.

“I think it would be best if you didn’t come with us to visit Jiho.” Kyung said as we put our tools away when we finished work. Usually I would be hurt if someone said that to me, but I was in such a good mood no one or anything could ruin it, and I believed that he had a good reason. “Why not?” I asked curiously. “Jiho’s dad wouldn’t be happy to see you.” Kyung said shamefully. “Wh-What?” I said a bit confused, I didn’t even know his dad. “The situation they’re in is not good.” Jaehyo stepped in.

“Yeah…Jiho’s dad is crazy.” Minhyuk remarked. “Yeah. Mr. Woo would totally flip out if some random person even stepped inside his house, especially if they’re companions with Jiho…” Ukwon added. “That’s why only Taeil and I are going to see him. Jaehyo said. “What?! Why me? I don’t want to see him.” Taeil whined. “This is for Jiho!” Jaehyo snapped. “Fine.” Taeil pouted. “Mr. Woo is a scary man.” Jihoon whispered in my ear.