Chapter 10: Somebody I Used To Know

All Of Me

Once we arrived at the castle I immediately picked up Youngjae and rushed him into Dr. Sunhi’s office. I laid him on the patient’s bed. Dr. Sunhi stopped what she was doing and went to her patient’s care. She froze when she saw that it was Youngjae.

“What happened?” She asked checking his pulse. “The same thing as last time.” I answered. She gave me a sorrowful look. “What are you planning?” she asked suspiciously. “Is he okay? Will it be an easy fix like before?” I questioned desperately. “What are you planning to do with him?” She asked again, but I just searched around the room frantically. “What is it that you used? Was it…a…a leaf?” I went on picking up a random leave going over and waving it over Youngjae’s nose. “Daehyun. Calm down.” She sighed.

“And…And then you snapped your fingers…r-right?” I snapped desperately trying hard not to break down. “Daehyun.” She said. Youngjae didn’t wake up. I re-did the process over and over, still no success. “Daehyun…please…”

“W-Why isn’t he waking up?!” I cried. She didn’t respond. “No. No he can’t. He can’t be like this.” I begged shaking my head. Youngjae…please, I need you right now. “Youngjae wake up. Please! Wake up!” I desperately shook him. “Daehyun! Don’t!” Dr.Sunhi gasped. I was going crazy. “Don’t do this to me please!” I begged continuing to shake him.

“Daehyun! Stop!” Dr.Sunhi said grasping my arms trying to stop me but I continued to shake him anyway in hopes of him waking up. “Prince Daehyun! You are hurting him!” Dr.Sunhi spat. I stopped and released him my hands trembling. “I-I-I’m h-hurting…him.”

I fell to my knees and sobbed. Dr.Sunhi knelt down beside me softly patting my back. “I finally decide to get him back and I’m still hurting him.” I said between tears. I don’t want to hurt Youngjae anymore…I’ve truly missed him during all these years, there’s never been a day when I didn’t think about him at least once. I should have saved him when I had the chance, I shouldn’t have left him for even a second.

“Youngjae…his pulse is extremely weak. I’m not sure how long he’ll be out. Just by checking his pulse I can tell that…his condition is worse than last time.” She chose her words carefully. I only nodded and slowly stood back to my feet.

Seconds later the rest of them came in. Junhong instantly ran to Youngjae’s side crying. Himchan and Jongup sat down in the two chairs not saying a word. Yongguk leaned against the wall watching in silence.

I helped Dr.Sunhi clean Youngjae’s bruises until she didn’t need my help anymore. Then I followed behind Yongguk who motioned for me to meet him outside the room.

“What are you doing?” Yongguk asked as soon as the door closed. “What do you mean?” I asked not understanding where he was coming from. “I mean what are you doing? You said that, that kid was going to live with you. Why would you make a sudden irrational decision like that?” Yongguk scolded in a hushed tone so no one could overhear our conversation. “It’s not irrational I’ve been thinking about it for a while.” I said.

“For how long? Since when?” He challenged. “Since the day I cut off our relationship.” I said sternly. Yongguk looked at me strongly. “It’s too complicated to explain, I was never able to say I hated him these past 10 years not even once. You wouldn’t understand. But I’ll say this…Youngjae did to me what Zelo did to you.” I said. “I need Youngjae and Youngjae needs me.” I turned back to the door.

“…how do you know that he’ll accept you then? How do you know that he’ll forgive you?” He said in a low tone. I paused for a second. Youngjae won’t forgive me that easily, or if at all. I’ve done too much. “I’ll do whatever it takes for him to accept me. I don’t care how far I’ll have to go because now I know…I can’t continue to ignore the feelings that I had 10 years ago, anymore.” Was my response. Yongguk was lost for words. So with that I went back into the room.

I stood there and stared at the lifeless Youngjae…he didn’t look peaceful at all. He looked scared and hurt. This is my fault. I’m the one who ruined his life.

We waited in the room all day, waiting for him to wake up. “He may be out all night as well. You guys should probably get to bed soon.” Dr.sunhi said once it started to get dark. “We’re not babies, it’s not late anyway.” Jongup remarked. “Yeah but you’re probably bored though. You already took two naps while you waited.” She pointed out. “You’re right…let’s go you guys.” Jongup suggested getting up, stretching. Himchan yawned and got up as well.

“I’m going to stay here.” I said. “No. You can’t it won’t be a good idea for you or for him.” Dr. Sunhi said. I just looked at her. “She’s right. It’ll only make you more stressful. You need to rest, you’re tired.” Himchan added. “But I have to stay with him. No one else knows him well.” I argued.

“I can stay.” Zelo spoke up cheerfully. “Yeah, Junhong can stay. That’ll be better.”Dr.Sunhi approved. “Aniyo!” Yongguk quickly objected. Zelo pouted at this. “It’ll be better if Junhong stays so that Youngjae can see someone who he knows well instead of a doctor whom he’s only seen a few times.” Dr. sunhi explained.

“No. Junhong isn’t staying. I won’t have it.” Yongguk said firmly. “I’m not going anywhere! I’m staying here till Youngjae-ssi wakes up.” Junhong protested putting his foot down. Yongguk and I both shot him looks, but he didn’t flinch one bit, he stood his ground well. “I think it’s okay for Zelo to stay. I don’t see the problem.” Jongup shrugged.

We looked at Himchan to see what he thought. Himchan sighed, “If Dr.Sunhi says it’s best for him to say thn…I guess it’s alright.” Zelo and Jongup both cheered in success. “Way to make the right Decision. I knew you had some wisdom in you.” Jongup said putting his hand up for a High 5. “Tch…” Himchan scoffed leaving him hanging.

“Then I’m staying.” Yongguk announced. Dr.Sunhi shook her head vigorously. “Haha! You might kill him when he wakes up.” Jongup laughed. Himchan hit the back of his head. “Ow! It’s the truth.” Jongup muttered rubbing the back of his head. “If Yongguk stays then I have to stay.”I said. “If Junhong stays then I have to stay.” Yongguk argued.

In the end the two of us were dragged out by Himchan and Jongup. Yongguk and I frowned on our way to my bedroom not saying a word. “Ladies, ladies…don’t worry you’ll see your babies tomorrow. They’re just staying over by Grandma’s house.” Jongup teased. “How can you joke round at a critical time like this?” Channie said a bit frustrated. Jongup just shrugged.

“I don’t like the idea of bringing that Youngjae kid here.” Himchan said. “Are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Everyone was now looking at me, waiting for an answer. “Well. I f Dae is alright with it, then we should support his decision. Besides we’ve never interacted with Youngjae before anyway except for Daehyun and Zelo.” Jongup said.

“But then he hurt Dae and almost destroyed the organization of the whole Jung Kingdom.” Yongguk said in all seriousness. It went silent for a couple of minutes. “Youngjae wouldn’t do that.” I spoke up. That’s when they all looked at me as if I had officially went crazy. “You said that you clearly saw him with your mother’s ring.” Himchan reminded.

“Yeah. I know. But…there’s a possibility that it could’ve been a set up. I-I never let him explain himself.” I confessed shamefully, remembering that day clearly. “But Daehyun…that was 10 years ago.” Himchan said.

-Youngjae’s POV-

I slowly woke up with a massive headache. I tried to sit up but it was too painful to move. What happened? Where am I? I can’t remember anything. It hurt my head trying to remember, so I observed the room to see where I might be. It was really dark but my eyes were able to adjust. The first person I saw was a sleeping Zelo. I smiled at the sight.

Wait! Zelo? What is he doing here? When did he come back??

“Oh. You’re awake.” A woman’s voice said. I couldn’t recognize the voice, all I knew was that it wasn’t my mom. I tried to turn to face the direction of the voice but it was too painful to move. "Don't stress your body by forcing yourself to move, you just need to rest." the woman said. Now her voice was starting to sound familiar. Who was it?

"Do you want me to wake up Zelo?" she asked. I barely shook my head. "Okay. Well i'll leave you two here. I'll be back later." she said walking towards the door. I wanted to ask her who she was but it was hard to speak and she was already out the door. Minutes after she left Zelo finally woke up.

He sleepily woke up rubbing his eyes with his thin wrist. "Youngjae~..." he said sleepily. "Mm..." was the only way I could respond. "Youngjae why aren't you up ye-," he stopped in the middle of his sentence. "Youngjae?" his eyes widened. "Mm hm." I responded. "YOUNGJAE!" He cheered happily running to me. I smiled at him. He took my hand in his. "I'm happy you're alive." he said with watery eyes.

My smile quickly disappeared. Zelo caught what he said and quickly tried to come up with something else. "Wh-Wh-What?" I said weakly with much struggle. "Y-You don't remember?" he said a bit surprised. "R-Re-Remember what?" I felt like I was dying.

"Ani...it's nothing." he said shaking his hands and head taking back what he said. I looked up at the ceiling not saying a word. "I'll explain everything later. I don't want to stress you out." Zelo pouted. "Wh-Where are we?" I forced myself to speak. "Um...somewhere good." he answered vaguely. I signed not liking his answer. "You're in a doctor's office." Zelo mumbled. I slowly looked at him and noticed that he had bandages all over him.

"Z-Zelo..." I whisperedd. "Neh?" "L-Let's go." I said weakly. "Bwoh?" he was confused. "Let's...leave th-this place...like, like Y-You said." I struggled. The younger smiled brightly. "Jiho and the rest of them can come with us and their families! Except for Jiho's dad and if he does try to come we'll capture him and only use him for hunting animals for food. Youngjae we can all be Nomads, we don't have to belong to a kingdom. We can graze along the land and view the wonders of nature. It'll be amazinf! Just us. There'll be no way to be separated." Zelo went on excitedly.

"Zelo-ah" I said. "Huh?" he was deep in thought imagining it all. "We'll be poorer than we are now...we won't h-have any money...and...what about...storms?" I reminded him. "We don't need money. We'll be living off the land. You're wrong. We'll have more money than we had before! Because we won't be spending much at all and we can earn money by doing things on the side. It'll be great!" he said.

"Y-Y-You must've b-been thinking about this...for a while." I wanted to laugh but it hurt too much. He nodded proudly. "Then let's go...tonight." I could still only talk to barely a whisper. Zelo's smile grew even brighter. "But...where...where are we? So-so I know how we c-can leave." I coughed. Zelo was hesitant but he finally decided to tell me.

"Dr.Sunhi's office." he mumbled. I hid my disappointment and shock so that he wouldn't feel bad. "Okay." I said. "Let's go..." I smiled at him reassuringly. He looked at me in surprise but immediately started looking around the room. He grabbed a foldable wheelchair and opened it up. I struggled to sit myself up but failed. I fell back in frustration. I hated how immobile I was at the moment.

Zelo slowly but carefully helped me out into the wheelchair. I held my chest I could barely breathe. "Youngjae?! Are you okay?! What's wrong??" Zelo began to panic. I nodded and motioned for him to tilt the chair back. He quickly got the message and propped the chair back, making it easier for me to breathe again. Before leaving Zelo grabbed a dust mask and put it on my face.

"I know a way to go, where we can be more hidden and lessen our chances of getting caught." he informed. I nodded. He pushed my chair slowly and exited the room.

There was an exit nearby the room, the hallway was empty do we were able to make it out to the exit. However when we made it outside we faced other obstacles, it was like a maze! But Zelo seemed to know exactly where he was going. Every time a guard passed by we easily slipped into the shadows. We took a couple of breaks for Zelo to rest so that he wouldn't get tired and took the time to observe our surroundings and any other possible obstacles in our way.

I was honestly impressed. Zelo was serious and stealth. He was like a ninja on a mission! Sometimes he messed with the guards and make them look like fools. It was funny but we had to force ourselves to hold in our laughter.

"We have one more path to go through. And we're home free." Zelo whispered. I observed the area, it looked like it was going to be more complicated than what we faced earlier. There were a lot more guards and servants running around. I looked up at Zelo as if to ask if he was sure he could do this. He nodded firmly. "We just have to make it to that dark area over there." he said. "We only have one shot." with that Zelo took off showing off his lethal ninja skips easily making it to our designated corner.

I was speechless (not like I could say much anyway). Zelo saw my expression and smiles proudly. But then he suddenly vanished. I turned around (painfully) to see what happened but then my chair was dragged into the darkness.

I wasn’t sure what to do. Or if I could even do anything. Next thing I knew Zelo and I were in a bright room with Dr.Sunhi and one of Dayehun’s friends. Zelo leaned against the wall with his hands behind his back looking down at the ground. Daehyun’s friend crossed his arm and looked at the two of us. “Mm. You guys are clever. I’m really impressed.” He smiled. I just looked at him, so that he couldn’t blame Zelo, it wasn’t his fault.

He noticed my look and put his hands up as if to surrender. “Hey don’t worry. I won’t tell Daehyun or Yongguk.” He said. “I won’t tell because I like you guys. Youngjae you continue to impress me and Zelo well we’re already tight. Also I don’t want to have to deal with them if they hear that their babies tried to run away.” He added.

I looked at him completely lost. I then turned to Zelo for some understanding but he only shook his head. “See this is why I don’t have kids. Too much responsibility. Know what I’m saying?” The guy said to Dr.Sunhi who only nodded.

“Jongup~.” Zelo sighed. “Anyway the whole point is, I won’t tell. But just don’t try to run away again. Arasso?” The guy named Jongup said ruffling Zelo’s hair. “..Arasso.” Zelo said quietly. He was disappointed. I was kind of upset too, we were so close. The Jongup guy walked up to me and bent down. “You too.” He smiled sweetly. I sighed and gave in. Why was I responding to him so easily? “That’s a good boy.” He said in a baby tone ruffling my hair. I glared at him only to have him laugh. “Alright…get yourselves to bed before the others see you.” He said.

-Daehun’s POV-

As soon as the first crack of sunlight entered my bedroom I immediately woke up. I changed into my clothes did my hair and as soon as I finished Yongguk and Himchan entered my room. “What are you guys doing her? I thought you’d be at Dr.Sunhi’s office.” I said knowing that Yongguk would want to go up and see Zelo as soon as possible. “I was originally going to go but Channie here forced me to wait, so that we’d all go together.” Yongguk grumbled.

“Where’s Jongup?” Himchan asked. I shrugged. “Awe! Does that mean we have to wait for him too?” Yongguk frowned impatiently. “Wait for who?” Jongup entered the room with a cart filled with food. “Who do we always wait for?” Yongguk replied sarcastically.

“I brought some breakfast for everyone.” Jongup sang ignoring the elder’s statement. “We’ll eat later.” I said. “No.” Jongup simply objected. “How about we eat with Junhong and that Youngjae kid.” Yongguk suggested. “Nope. We’ll eat before we see them.” Jongup said. “No!!” Yongguk and I snapped in unison. “Hey. You two need to chill. Okay? You two are stressing over two guys who you’ll see soon. So just rest and chill out.” Jongup explained. “He’s right.” Himchan agreed.

Yongguk and I continued to protest. “Sit down!” Channie ordered above all of the noise. Yongguk and I went completely silent and obeyed Himchan, even Jongup sat down. But Yongguk stood back up and headed towards the door. Himchan stepped right in front of him. “You wanna sit down…Guk?” Himchan said in a deep scary voice sending chills down our spines. “Y-Yes.” Yongguk stumbled quickly sitting down. “That’s my Channie.” Jongup smiled.

Yongguk and I ate in silence not really sure of what to do, we were just anxious to hurry up and leave. Once we finished eating we followed Master Himchan out the door. I was excited to see Youngjae, praying that he was up. It felt like forever till we reached Dr.Sunhi’s office. When we entered I was happy and jealous.

Yongguk and I frowned at the sight before us. Youngjae and Zelo were up eating breakfast talking and having fun. Zelo was feeding Youngjae his breakfast. Youngjae was smiling and Zelo was laughing, not having a fit like he was the past few days. “Eh-hem.” I cleared my throat loudly not wanting to see this aaanymore.

The two stopped and looked at us, disapprovingly. I smiled at Youngjae who glared at me. I looked away. Daehyun you guys aren’t like that anymore…at least not yet. I smirked at the thought. I noticed Jongup smiling at me. I gave him a weird look, what was he up to now?

He hopped over to the two. “I wanna feed Youngjae too.” He whined acting like a child. Yongguk and I stood there confused at Jongup’s sudden change in behavior. Zelo was hesitant but handed Jongup the bowl of food. Jongup took the spoon and waved it in front of Youngjae’s lips. “Open up Youngjae~…” Jongup babied poking Youngjae’s shut lips with the spoon. Youngjae tightened his lips. After a few more pokes, Youngjae gave in and slowly began to open his mouth. First Junhong now Jongup?

“Yah!” I shouted. Stomping my feet. Jongup dropped the spoon and Youngjae quickly shut his mouth. Everyone looked at me. “Um…uh…I need to speak to Youngjae.” I said rocking back and forth on my heels. Everyone stayed in their spots not making a single sound. “Alone.” I added.

At that HImchan. Jongup, and Dr.Sunh exited the room. I looked at Junhong and Yongguk. “Um…” was all I could say. “I’m going to talk to Junhong.” Yongguk said innocently. I looked at Junhong who sat close to Youngjae, holding his hand. I tried hard not to get jealous. But it just wasn’t fair. How could Youngjae forgive Zelo that easily and not me? I already know why…but I still couldn’t help it.

“I have to stay here with Youngjae.” Junhong said almost hesitantly. He sensed my jealousy. “I want to speak with him alone.” I repeated myself. “I have to stay, Youngjae can barely speak. I’ll speak for him.” Junhong explained a little more firmly. Was he challenging me? I narrowed my eyes at him, Yongguk did the same to Youngjae.

Youngjae patted Zelo’s hand and whispered something in his ear. Junhong reluctantly nodded and stood up and walked out the door. Yongguk followed close behind him. Once the door closed I walked towards Youngjae and sat down in the seat beside the bed (where Zelo was sitting).

He wasn’t glaring at me anymore, but instead he just stared at me with no emotion. “Hey um…how are you feeling?” I asked not really sure of what to say. I just wanted to speak to him alone. He continued to stare at me not responding. “Are…you alright?” I tried again. He still only looked at me, not saying a single word or acknowledging anything I had said. I was starting to get a little nervous and rubbed the back of my neck. “Would you like some more porridge?” I offered picking up the bowl with my other. “Do you think you’ll be able to walk or move ar-,” “Why did you bring me here?” He interrupted barely above a whisper.

I just looked at him surprised not knowing what to say. “I want to go home…take me home.” His voice was low and soft but he spoke firmly. “Uh…y-you can’t.” I answered dumbfounded. What is going on with me? I didn’t know why I was suddenly dazed and lost. My hand was trembling a little, so I put the bow back hoping that Youngjae didn’t notice. He looked at me angrily. This scared me a little because his entire body was trembling in anger.

He bit his bottom lip. I watched him, though he looked furious, I could tell by his eyes that he was hurting. There was so much pain built inside him. His eyes became red and watery. It hurt me just looking at him. He looked like he was falling apart. He was so pitiful and weak that he looked as if he was going to collapse at any moment now.

“N-No.” I choked quietly. My eyes began to water as well. Youngjae, I’m sorry. Just forgive me please, and you’ll feel better, please. I promise you won’t have to feel this way ever again. I promise. I’ll make sure of it. I begged on the inside. “Liar! Stop…j-just leave me alone. Stay away from me. I-I…don’t want to have anything to do with you.” Youngjae coughed violently. He was straining himself. “Youngjae.” I said softly.

“How…how many times must you see me c-cry? How many times d-do I h-have to be beaten i-in front of you? Huh? You know how physically defenseless I am. You k-know how weak I am…M-My body can o-only endure so much.” Youngjae struggled to breathe as tears poured down his cheeks. “…are you trying to kill me?!” he snapped.

“Youngjae.” I said reaching out for him. “No!!” he screamed pulling away sharply. He cried out in pain. “The more I see you the more I think I’m going to die! I might kill myself the longer I’m with you!” He cried. He held his chest in pain, his coughing became more severe. He couldn’t speak anymore.

Silent tears rolled down my cheek. I knew I had to get Dr.Sunhi, but I just need to say something to him, just one more thing. I got to my knees and took his head in between both the palms of my hands. He didn’t even try to pull away…he couldn’t. “Youngjae…I’m so sorry. I did this all to you. I don’t know how I could have let us separate so easily. I should’ve listened to what you had to say. Look what I did to you.” I shook my head regretfully.

“But…now I don’t care what happened in the past except for the good times. There was not one day that I did not think about you for the past 10 years. I could not live peacefully.” I gathered my words and looked him dead in his eyes to show that I was serious and that I meant every single word, and it will get through to him, no matter what. “That’s why I’m going to make it up.”

“I am going to return what we lost. I know you won’t forgive me. I promise I will prove to you whatever it is that I have to prove. I will do whatever for you. I won’t leave your side for one second. And…I won’t let you leave my side. I said sternly.

Youngjae closed his eyes and shook his head. He seemed scared as if he were in some nightmare. I removed my hands and stood up straight and firm. “You’re staying here Yoo Youngjae and I will make you mine.” I headed towards the door to get Dr.Sunhi. “You can’t return what we’ve lost, I’ve lost too much. You can’t bring Ukwon’s parents back to life, and you can’t bring Jiho’s mother back to life. I…will…never forgive you.” Youngjae sniffled.

I paused. But before I could do or say anything the door flew open and Zelo was the first to run back inside to Youngjae’s rescue. “Youngjae! Are you okay?” I heard Junhong say nearly freaking out. “I heard you scream.” I looked back at the two. “Zelo-ah…” Youngjae cried sadly. “I want to go home.” He cried into his arms. Junhong held the elder in an attempt to comfort him. “Okay…Youngjae…okay.” was all he could say.

Jealousy boiled inside me and I pushed passed everyone upset, leaving the room.