Chapter 4: Nightmares and Daydreams

All Of Me

“Zelo.” I said again. He still didn’t wake up. “Zelo-ah…” I said this time a little louder. This time he shook his head vigorously. I tried tapping his shoulder “No…no…no.” He mumbled in fear. I put the back of my hand over his forehead. He was sweating.

“No..please..” He cried. “Zelo-ah…it’s fine you’re okay. It’s me Youngjae. I promise. I am not going to hurt you.” I said as soothing as possible in his ear.

His eyes quickly opened and immediately sat up breathing heavily. He clutched his hand to his shirt. “Youngjae-ssi, is that-is that you?” He asked frightened. “Yes…it’s me.” I assured him. He suddenly hugged me out of nowhere. “You’re here. It’s really you!” He said still trembling. I rubbed his back. After a few seconds he released his hug. “Youngjae, I had a terrible nightmare.” He said as if it was a new sudden discovery.

“It was scary. You were in it and…and those scary guards were beating everyone up. It was terrible.” He began to cry. “Don’t worry Zelo. You’re just having an aftershock from your first great raid. We’ve all been through it. But don’t worry I’ll help you through it.” I reassured him. “It-It felt so real. Youngjae…you almost died.” He said in mere shock. “But you saved me.” I reminded him. “But Youngjae…you were getting beat by a brick…Your arm! Your left arm! It’s broken! Are you okay?” He gasped. “Heh…it is painful…I can’t really move it but I’m fine.” I smiled. “I’ll find you treatment tomorrow. I promise.” He said with much urgency. His mind was all over the place.

“Youngjae.” He suddenly said quietly. “Yes?” I responded. “I-I think I dreamt of the whole entire raid that happened the other day.” He said pretty frightened. “Youngjae-ssi…” He called quietly again. “Yes Zelo?” “Will-Will there be another Great Raid like…this?” he asked innocently with large eyes. I sighed before answering. “Yes. But no one knows when….that’s why you should head off and go back home. Because if they have another raid soon, which they will, then I won’t be able to help you, because of the state I’m in.” I finally said.

Zelo started to panic. “No, no.” he shivered fearfully. Note to self don’t give Zelo bad news too straight forward, sugar coat it next time, I thought to myself. “Zelo…calm-calm down.” I coughed resting my right hand on his shoulder. “Youngjae! Runaway with me. When your mother gets back you and her and your friends can come with me. Where I live there are no such raids!” Zelo suddenly exclaimed. I sadly smiled at his innocence and sweetness. “Zelo…I can’t.” I said. “What? Why not? You have to!” He said getting all worked up. “Zelo, go to sleep now, you need to rest.” I said laying back down.

He shook his head. “I-I can’t. I don’t want to go back to that nightmare.” Zelo was shaking again. “Here…sleep with him. His name is Niko, he’s a really good friend.” I said handing him my old teddy bear. Zelo looked at me amazed. “Niko, this is Zelo-ah, be nice to him arasso?...Arasso.” I said speaking to the stuffed bear. Still amazed Zelo laid back down holding Niko tightly. “Alright now...no more talking. Want me to tell you a bedtime story? It’s my favorite one. It’s about 3 kingdoms.” I said and began to tell the fairy tell story.

-Zelo’s POV-

The next morning I woke up fresh and ready to go. Youngjae was still sleeping soundly. I smiled at the sight. I picked up the teddy bear and looked at it. “So your name is Niko.” I said. It just started at me as if to say ‘So your name is Zelo.’ “Well Niko! Let’s be good friends.” I smiled happily shaking its paw.

I tucked the stuffed bear close to Youngjae. I was thankful for the elder, he made me feel a lot better after having that horrible nightmare. “I’ll be back.” I whispered to Niko putting on my cloak and left the little house to go to the wonderful fields. Once more I enjoyed myself with Youngjae’s friends.

“So um…how was the uh…visit?” I aksed Jaehyo. He looked at me strangly. “Why do you want to know?” he asked curiously. I hung my head down in embarrassment. “I’m-I’m sorry. I know it’s none of my business. I just thought I’d ask to-to tell Youngjae-ssi.” I apologized quickly. Jaehyo just smiled and patted my back. “Ani. It’s fine I just asked because people don’t care about what happens to Jiho, except for us. Everyone else just ignores his misery that his father gives him.” Jaehyo explained. “Wow! Really? That’s terrible! How can no one care? Especially if he’s being harmed?” I asked surprised.

“Well that’s just how it is here. Jiho is strong…but I don’t think Jiho will be able to hold out this one.” Jaehyo sighed. Taeil looked over at us sadly as if he knew what we were saying. It was a short sad moment between the 3 of us until we began to hear yelling.

We looked up to see Kyung and Ukwon arguing. “Even when Jiho and Youngjae are gone they still decide to bicker.” Jiho mumbled getting back to his work. “No one is going to stop them?” I asked as Jaehyo and Taeil just worked, doing nothing about the other two. No. They won’t listen to us, if one of us were to but in then it would get worse. Only Jiho and Youngjae can stop them.” Jaehyo explained. I watched the two argue and get more and more vicious with each other.

Minhyuk hyung stepped in trying to stop them but Kyung shoved him out the way. Ukwon pushed Kyung. They were getting ready to get physical and I was getting nervous. Jihoon tried to stop them as well but nothing worked. Jaehyo and Taeil just continued with their work silently. I couldn’t take it anymore!

When I was little my parents argued just as viciously every day. Their always terrified me as a kid because they were so violent. Because of that I’ve grown to hate arguments and fights. “Stop!!” I shouted, and I didn’t want them to have to fight like that, they were always happy and joyful. I liked being around them. They aren’t supposed to fight and argue with each other, because they are all they have. Ukwon and Kyung stopped what they were doing and looked at me.

When the two stopped fighting Jaehyo, Taeil, Jihoon, and Minhyuk all turned their attention to me as well. “Why are you guys fighting like this?” I whined. They remained silent. “Is it really worth it?” I asked them. They hung their heads down. It started to get awkward. “Look I’m sorry. I-I didn’t mean to put you duys down. I just didn’t like seeing you guys fight like that.” I said shyly rubbing my neck. “Ah! My little brother has grown up so much” Kyung suddenly burst running to me giving me a hug.

“It’s only been a day Kyung.” Ukwon said. Kyung broke his hug and smiled brightly to me, then he hopped over to Ukwon. “Im sorry Kwonnie. I was being childish.” Kyung smiled. Ukwon smiled back. “I’m sorry too Kyungie.” Ukwon apologized as well and the two shook hands. I was actually somewhat amazed at how easily and fast they made up. But I was glad that no grudges were made.

“Wow. Zelo stopped Ukwon’s and Kyung’s fight.” Jihoon said in awe. Minhyuk nodded as well. Ukwon smiled at me. “Yay!” Jihoon clapped happily. I blushed in embarrassment from the attention. I was taken aback by how Ukwon and Kyung started chatting happily together as if nothing had happened at all, and the rest of the day went happily along, just like that.

“See ya later Zelo!” Kyung waved as we went our separate ways. I was excited to go home to Youngjae, I had so many questions to ask him about his friends. But when I arrived I saw a lady in a dark brown cloak walking up to the door. “A-Are you Youngjae’s mother?” I asked without thinking.

The lady turned around startled. “Aniyo. I am not his mother. Are you perhaps staying with him?” She spoke in a friendly tone. I nodded. “Oh. Well I am here to heal his wounds.” She said. “Oh! That’s great! He needs to be treated.” I clapped. She gave me a strange look. “You seem familiar. What’s your name?” she asked suddenly. My eyes slightly widened.

I couldn’t tell her who I was or else she may freak out or tell someone. I had to come up with something fast. Before I could even think of anything there was a loud thump that came from inside Youngjae’s home.

The two of us quickly went inside to see what was going on. Youngjae was on the floor crying out desperately. “Youngjae-ssi!! Wha’ts wrong?” I ran up him. “Jiho-ah!” He cried struggling to get onto his feet. “Youngjae. Wha-what are you doing?” I asked him. “Jiho!” He screamed, falling back down. I grabbed both of his hands in mine. “Youngjae, please tell, what’s wrong?” I asked him worried.

“H-Help. W-We have to he-help Jiho-ah. P-P-Please. Help m-me get up.” He sobbed helplessly. I didn’t understand what was going on, until I heard somebody screaming outside in pain. I was terrified. I looked at Youngjae fearfully, he didn’t see my look. He was back on the ground crying hard.

Zelo don’t be scared, do this for Youngjae, he needs to help his friend! I thought to myself. “O-Okay.”” I said trying to be strong. I wrapped his non-broken arm around my shoulders and slowly stood up, helping him to his feet. He looked up and saw the lady in the dark brown cloak. “Wh-who is she?” He asked me. “I don’t know. She said she came to heal your wounds. “I’m Lee Sunhi.” She bowed over hearing us.

“Dr. Lee Sun Hi?” He asked in shock. She nodded and opened the door for us so that we could get out. Lee Sunhi? No, Doctor Lee Sunhi. Why does she sound familiar? Wait! She’s from the castle. Before I could think any further Younjae screamed, “Jiho!!” when he saw the elder.

I looked in the direction that Youngjae screamed to and spotted him. There was a man that was pretty much torturing a guy. Youngjae tried to run over there to help him but I held him back.

“What are you doing?!” he snapped desperately at me. I was shaken a bit no one has snapped at me like that before and it wasn’t a good feeling either. “Um…um…Y-You can’t go over there.” I said trying to gather my words. “I have to go.” He spat, crying, trying to push me away but he couldn’t. His left arm was broken and I had his right arm. “Hyung…no. I can’t let you do that…you’ll…you’ll get hurt.” I said quietly. I couldn’t let Youngjae help his friend. I probably have no right to stop him, I’m only some random kid from the street, but I can’t let him do that…he won’t be any help and I don’t want to see him getting hurt especially in the condition he’s in.

Just then Kyung, Jaehyo, and Taeil came running into sight. They looked at Jiho then at us. “Youngjae!” Kyung gasped. “Kyung-ah! Help J-Jiho.” Youngjae said weakly, he was still crying but now they were just silent tears. He looked worn out. “And…and bring him here.” Yongjae choked. “But Youngjae he-,” “Go!” Youngjae cried not letting him speak. Kyung sighed and left with Jaehyo and Taeil. Youngjae began to sink down to his knees but I caught him before he hit the ground and brought him down slowly to his knees.

“Youngjae are you okay?” I asked getting even more worried. He could barely shake his head. “I-I feel…like I’m going to pass ou-,” He could barely finish his sentence before his entire being went limp. My eyes widened. NO! He can’t pass out. How? Why?! What does this mean?? “No! Youngjae! Please! Don’t. Wake up! Wake up please!” I begged trying to shake him awake but it was no use.

He looked lifeless. He couldn’t be dead right? There’s no way. “Why did he do that?! Why did he suddenly pass out like that? Will he wake back up??” I panicked to the doctor. She just looked at me with sad eyes. “Will he wake up?” I asked again losing my voice. She slowly nodded but she still looked very sad. “What’s wrong?” I asked her tears pouring down my cheeks. “Everything will be fine for now. But Zelo, soon you’ll be taken away.” She said sadly. “What? What is that supposed to mean? How-How do you know it’s me?” I continued to question. “Don’t worry Ii won’t tell anyone.” Was all she said.

Before another word was spoken Jaehyo and Kyung returned with a beaten Jiho in his arms and Taeil trailing behind them. Jiho’s father was running towards us. “What do we do now?” Jaehyo asked Youngjae, out of breath.

His eyes widened when they landed on an unconscious Youngjae. “Wh-What happened?” He asked. “Hurry! He’s getting closer fast.” Taeil warned nervously. No one knew what to do. I quickly mustered up the very little courage I had left and took a deep breath.

“Take him inside. I said. The two nodded and carried Jiho inside Youngjae’s home. Jiho’s dad was close now and he was coming too fast. “You boys go inside. I’ll handle this. Dr Lee Sunhi ordered Taeil and I. “Um…really? But you’re just a-,” “I said go!” Dr. Sunhi snapped interrupting Taeil. Taeil instantly nodded and ran inside. I lifted Youngjae up and went inside as well shutting the door behind me.

Jiho was rested sitting up against the wall with Kyung and jaehyo sitting down on either side of him, Taeil stood on the otherside of the room leaning against the wall watching the other 3 sadly. I walked over and laid Youngjae down on his bed made of blankets. I sat down next to Youngjae in my usual spot and observed Jiho. He was bruised badly. He had a busted lip, one eye was shut while the other was barely open.

“What are we gonna do?” Kyung asked rocking back and forth. No one said anything. Suddenly there was a flash of light that came from between the cracks of the door. “Wh-What was that?” Taeil gasped once the light disappeared. But before anyone could do or even think anything the door slowly opened then closed. Dr. Sunhi removed her hood and stared dead at me. Her eyes changed color from a dark brown to a bright green. “Wh-What’s going on? I stuttered. “Shhh…Just rest.” She said soothingly. She touched Taeil’s head and he instantly fell to the ground fast asleep.

Then she touched the tops of Jaehyo, Kyung, and Jiho’s heads and they too fell asleep. Next she turned to me. No. I don’t want to go to sleep! I don’t want to have that dream again! What if? What if? Just then she started walking towards me. “Wh-What are you?” I asked nervously scooting back. “You’ll find out soon. But it’s time to sleep now.” She whispered and she touched my head and everything went black.

 

**

“Just call me Daehyun.”

-

“You know nothing.” “Then teach me.”

-

“B-But I can’t love Daehyun! I’m only 6!”

-

“D-Don’t do that again. Don’t send me away ever again!”

-

“Do you have my mother’s ring?” 

“Because you’re a thief! A filthy little peasant, you’re just like the rest of them, and peasants deserve to be treated this way, like dirt.” “So…You-You used me?” “Just be ready for tomorrow…send him away.”

-

“We-We h-have to comfort Ukwon…h-his mother died.”

“Daehyun! Help me…help me please! Help me save my friends!” Youngjae begged. “Daehyun~” “Daehyun~” “Daehyun! DAEHYUN!”

**

 

I quickly woke up, viciously sitting up, gasping for air. Those random scenes in my dream. What were they? The last part was so heartbreaking. It was like…like the Great Raid that happened 10 years ago. Wait! How do I know that?! Who were those two boys? I heard Daehyun’s name. Could it be him from when he was younger? No. That couldn’t be. Who was the other boy? Youngjae? Youngjae…Youngjae…Wait! Youngjae!

I looked around to see that it was dark. Last thing I remember was Dr. Sunhi putting us to sleep. But now she was gone. I slowly stood up and found a candel and lit it. Everyone was still fast asleep I noticed that Jiho…Jiho looked completely healed?! His busted lip was no more and his bruises were gone! But there was a bandage wrapped around his knee. My attention then instantly went to Youngjae.

My eyes widened. He looked…he looked healthy! Except for the bandage that was wrapped around his left shoulder and another around his left elbow. “Did…Dr. Sunhi do this?” I asked quietly in thought. “Where did she go?” I quickly ran outside and looked around the village to look for her and gather my thoughts. What is she? What did she do?

Ahh! And the dream! Was that really Daehyun and Youngjae? There were so many questions that I didn’t even have the slightest answers too. Next thing I knew I was back in front of Youngjae’s house. “She really did leave.” I said finally coming to the conclusion that she went back to the castle. “Who left?” someone asked weakly, I quickly turned around to see a healthy Youngjae. “Y-Youngjae?” I could barely say.

“What happened? How am I better? And what about Jiho? How is he fine?” Youngjae asked one question right after the other. We took a seat on some stones in front of his house and I explained everthing starting from when the doctor came to when she put us to sleep. “Hm…I wonder what she did to Jiho’s dad.” He said in thought after I finished.

“Um Youngjae?” I said. “Yeah?” he replied looking at me. “Uh..um. Well I had another dream about the raid.” I said quietly. “Oh well don’t worry, it’s just the aftershock of everything, the nightmares will go away soon.” He smiled patting my back assuring. “Want me to tell you the story again?” He asked. I slowly shook my head. “N-No it’s not that.” I said. “What is it?” He asked giving me a concerned look. “It was about a different raid.” I said. He continued to look at me not understanding. “Youngjae-ssi, um…did you know the prince?” I asked hesitantly not sure how he was going to react. He just sighed and nodded.

“Why do you ask?” He asked. “I’m sorry for asking such a personal question. I heard Kyung and the others talk about you and the prince. I asked them what happened but Jaehyo said it would be best to ask you myself. So I-I have just been wondering.” I spilled. “Miane.” I apologized unable to look him in the eye. Youngjae just smiled

“Don’t be sorry, it’s fine. I trust you.” He said. I looked up at him in awe. He trusted me! And it was sincere! I couldn’t believe I never had anyone actually truly trust me except for Yongguk, but even Yongguk had some of his reservations. I was really thankful towards Youngjae. “I don’t normally trust people that easily anymore. But you’re pretty much an open book.” Youngjae chuckled a little.

“But Zelo.” He said. “Yes?” I responded almost immediately. “Does this also have to do with your dream?” he asked. “…I believe so.” I answered. “Well, I guess I’ll tell you.”

 

 

 

A/N: Just a side note for those who might not remember Dr. Sunhi she was mentioned in the 3rd part of the prologue, only one time. There is a longer part with Dr. Sunhi from the prologue, but I had taken out. That's all there are some parts of the story that I did take out. If you want to read them. Then I can make a separate thing that just has the parts that I took out! Thank you so much for reading and all of the support! I appreciate it a lot!