Finally *edited*

Take Care of My Girlfriend

 

The next few days, I spent it helping the children at the childcare centre. For the first time this year, I was doing something productive and fruitful. And through the times I spent at the centre, I got to know more people like Sungmin sshi and Taeyeon sshi. There were other people around but I was closer to the two of them. During the children’s naptime, the three of us will sit together, eat lunch and talk about the happenings of the day. I had enjoyed chit chatting about my day at ‘work’. Although I wasn’t getting paid, I was happy that I was doing something instead of wasting my time away.

Donghae, who was busy as the principal, seldom comes out of his office. But he makes it a point to come out during the children’s lunchtime to eat with them and know about the children that went to his centre. He interacted with most of them and made the effort to know their personalities. The children were also fond of him and I found out from Taeyeon sshi that Donghae would play Santa for the children during Christmas and used his own money to get small gifts for them.

At night, I lay in my bed, all exhausted from work. It was a good thing for I know I would always get emotional at night. If I had stayed up, I would probably be sobbing till my eyes became so swollen that no one would recognize me. Since I started helping Donghae, it helped cover my loneliness and kept me occupied. Though I missed Hyukjae oppa, I managed to get by my days thanks to work. I pushed my feelings all the way to the back of my mind and didn’t allow myself to wallow in misery.

It was on a Thursday night that Hyukjae oppa finally came to visit me. Donghae and I were done with work at 5pm and headed to the supermart to get things to cook for dinner. Upon knowing that I had never ever been near a stove, he offered to teach me how to cook. And since it was my first time, he decided that dinner would be kimchi fried rice which was the easiest in his opinion. After getting the ingredients, we went back and began cooking a storm. Well, it was Donghae who was cooking. He just lets me near the stove when I felt comfortable. We were just about to start eating when the doorbell rang.

Donghae rarely had visitors and he was also surprised to know that there was someone at the door.

“Coming!”he shouted and went to open it.

Standing at the doorway was Hyukjae oppa with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

“Hyukjae oppa?”I was shocked as well.

For days, I hadn’t even received a call or a message from him and here he was, standing at the door. Donghae let him in and I stood up with my mouth slightly opened.

“Missed me?”Hyukjae oppa asked cheekily as he held out the bouquet to me.

“Thanks,”I took it from him with a smile.

Looking at the bouquet, my heart melted. He had bought my favourite water lilies with baby breath.

“Sit down and join us for dinner. Haemin and I cooked kimchi fried rice,”Donghae said as he went to the kitchen to get another plate.

“You cooked?! Did you hurt yourself?!”Hyukjae oppa immediately grabbed my right hand to check for injuries.

“Don’t worry. I said I’ll take good care of her,”Donghae said as he scooped some kimchi fried rice for Hyukjae oppa.

“You better. Or I’ll kill you,”Hyukjae oppa said as he took the plate from him.

Donghae merely rolled his eyes as we settled down for dinner. Throughout the entire dinner, I kept looking at the bouquet of flowers as we talked. Just because he showed up out of nowhere with that, I forgave him for not contacting me for the past few days. If Soobin and the rest knew about it, they would have given me a lecture on how I was being too nice to Hyukjae oppa. But I would beg to differ. After all, Hyukjae oppa is a busy person. I should just be contented that he drove three whole hours to see me. He must have been too tired after work to drive here.

Or are you just making excuses for him?

“So, what have you been doing these past few days?”Hyukjae oppa turned to ask as he looked into my eyes lovingly.

Yes, he’s just really busy. I have to be more understanding. And here we go again, Haemin. You never learn, do you?

“Oh, I’ve been helping out at Donghae’s childcare centre,”I turned to look at Donghae and smiled.

He smiled back at me.

“You’ve been working?!”Hyukjae oppa’s eyes were about to drop out.

“Not really. I just help around. Or I would be bored to death here,”I explained.

Hyukjae oppa’s eyes were still big and wide as he nodded a little.

“Please don’t tire yourself out. You know I don’t like you being all busy,”Hyukjae oppa frowned a little.

“Yes, I know,”I smiled.

“Er, I’m done with dinner. And I’ll just excuse myself and tend to the garden. Go ahead and have a talk,”Donghae grinned and went off to the kitchen to drop off his plate before heading to the garden.

Once the front door closed, the house was all silent.

“Was Donghae good to you?”Hyukjae oppa asked.

“Yes, he is,”I nodded.

Probably better than you had ever been in the past six months.

“That’s good. Seems like you’re settling in really well. Any morning sickness lately?”he asked.

“No, I haven’t been vomiting ever since I moved in. Amazing, right?”I grinned.

But Hyukjae oppa was frowning. He must have realized for he forced himself to relax and smile. He reached out and pulled me into his embrace. With my chin resting on his shoulder and his arms on my waist, I felt like I was back home.

“I miss you so much,”I mumbled.

“I know. I’m sorry for not visiting although I promised to. I’ve been busy,”he said.

“It’s okay,”I replied.

It’s nothing new, right? Lee Hyukjae has never fulfilled his promises and he’s always busy.

I shook my head to get that voice out of my head. Whatever that was, it was getting on my nerves.

“What’s wrong, baby? Why are you shaking your head?”Hyukjae oppa pulled apart and cupped my face gently with his right hand.

“Nothing,”I smiled.

“I wish I could stay longer, Haemin. But I have to work tomorrow. So, I have to leave now,”Hyukjae oppa smiled sadly.

“It’s okay. Drive safely, alright,”I patted his thigh.

He nodded and leaned in to give me a kiss. And because it had been so long since we last kissed, I kissed him back, letting him know that I want to prolong this precious moment a little longer. He gave in to me and we stayed like that for a few more seconds before pulling apart.

“Sleep early tonight. Remember not to tire yourself out at his centre,”he said firmly.

“You too!”I said as I stood up.

We opened the front door and found Donghae watering his roses. He looked up at us and put his watering can down.

“Oh, you’re going off already?”Donghae asked as he came over.

“Yeah. Thanks for your help. I’ll come again soon,”Hyukjae oppa replied.

Donghae nodded and we sent Hyukjae oppa off in his car.

“So, did you enjoy your moment with Hyukjae?”Donghae asked cheekily.

“Geez, Donghae!”I frowned a little at him before laughing.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel