To Be Closer to You

To Be in Your Gaze

Near the middle of the training, the girl in charge of the staff gathered all of the representatives to talk about the competition. It's sounded like a big mess to the freshmen before but the staffs slowly explain everything. The dancing routine that they've been learning is the opening show. Afterward, the MC will introduce the reps one by one and show them off through a runaway. Then, the rep will show off their talent one by one in a talent show. At the end of the competition, votes will be gathered and count for in order to decide who is the winners and runner-ups.

 

"About the talent show..." The head staff said. "Please tell us what you are gonna do now or at least by the end of this week so we can prepare necessary props for you. This way, all you have to do is practice and not worry about anything else."

 

Seungkwan tried to listen but he's more worry about Vernon, who is still outside of the training area with his friends and the rest of last year reps. After knowing that the sophomore hasn't eaten anything for the whole day, Seungkwan starts to worry about the jerk, even though he doesn't have to be. Mingyu noticed this disconnection from Seungkwan as well. The shorter freshman couldn't focus on the task at hand so he, being the best friend that he is, had to tell the staff that he's doing martial arts and Seungkwan is playing the piano. After telling the staff that, Mingyu followed Seungkwan's eyes to see Vernon. 

 

"Is your neck stiff yet?" Mingyu wants to slap his best friend. "You haven't blink either. He won't disappear if you look away."

 

"Vernon hasn't eaten anything yet today," Seungkwan answers worriedly.

 

The taller freshman couldn't help but scoff a bit. "You're weird... Worried about others before yourself. Then again, your crush is also weird. If he's hungry then he should have gone somewhere to eat. Instead, he sits there and waits for you."

 

"I know, he should go eat already. Why didn't go eat already?"

 

"I don't know, go ask him yourself. We won't be finished with training until 10 or 11 pm."

 

"I have to?"

 

"Why should I go? I'm not the one who stares at him the whole time. Go!"

 

"Right now?"

 

"Right now!"

 

Seungkwan got up from his criss-cross sitting position and shook his sleeping legs. He walked over to the door, which leads to the table where all the male rep from last year are sitting, timidly. The sophomores are chatting adamantly with each other and Wonwoo is the first to notice the freshman's appearance. Of course, he didn't how the freshman is being shy so he didn't tease the little guy.

 

"Hey, Seungkwan. Which one of us are you here for?" Wonwoo looked up at the said boy with a teasing smile. All the other guys catcalled Seungkwan or laughed at Wonwoo's teasing, except Vernon. "Pick one. They're all very good."

 

"Come on, pick one," One of the guys urged Seungkwan.

 

", stop teasing the poor kid," Hoshi punched the guy. "He's red as a tomato now."

 

"Well, he is pretty cute too."

 

"I'm gonna tell your girlfriend about this."

 

"Ummm... Vernon hyung," Seungkwan gained Vernon's undivided attention with his soft voice and shy demeanor but it's not like he didn't have the sophomore's attention already. The other guys couldn't stop ooh-ing. 

 

"What did we expect? Vernon always gets the cute one and the pretty one and the y one."

 

"Little Seungkwan, you just broke my heart."

 

"Quiet down," Vernon spoke up. It only made the other guys chuckle more. "What's up, Seungkwan?"

 

"Ummm... Aren't you hungry? You should eat," Seungkwan's shy demeanor intensified under the gaze of Vernon's friends. 

 

"Me? What about you?"

 

"You should eat first," The freshman avoids looking at the sophomore and chooses to look at the ground instead. "We might finish a little late tonight so you should go back first."

 

"Mmmmm..." Vernon thoughts about it for a second. He didn't really think about it but he does enjoy the fact that Seungkwan occasionally looks up at him, only to avoid eye contact by looking down again. It's adorable. "Let's do this instead."

 

Vernon got up from his seat and turned Seungkwan around by holding onto his shoulder as if leading the freshman away. "We're gonna go eat first."

 

"Wait wait wait wait wait wait!!!" The guys held out their arms to stop the two of them.

 

"Where are you going?" Hoshi smirks. "Kidnapping the freshman?"

 

"He's hungry," Vernon answers back nonchalantly.

 

"Oh, Vernon!" One of the staff girls approaches the two of them as they were about to leave. "Are you gonna go eat? Can you pick up the foods I order for the staffs and reps?"

 

"Sure."

 

"Ok, it's the restaurant behind the school," She reached into here pocket pull out some money. "This should be enough. If not, you can pay and I'll pay you back afterward. And Seungkwan, you can help him carry the food. Thank you, you two."

 

"No problem," Vernon smiled politely as the girl waved at them and ran back to the training room. "Hoshi!"

 

"What?" 

 

"Let me borrow your car," That wasn't a question. "I have orders to pick up."

 

Hoshi reached into his pocket and threw the key to his car to Vernon. "Don't scratch it. Don't be too long or people will notice."

 

"Whatever..."

 

"And I better not see any white stain!"

 

"Shut up!" Vernon sings.

 

Vernon wasn't kidding when he said he was hungry. The sophomore ate two dishes of rice with eggs and steak while Seungkwan could barely finish half his dish. While waiting for the staff's foods, they decided to eat to satisfied both of their hunger. Luckily, the restaurant is pretty empty except for a few people. No college girls screaming because of Vernon and everyone act civilized for once. 

 

"Eat up, they're waiting for us," Vernon said as he swallowed another spoonful of rice with steak. 

 

"Are you also going to the promotion trip?" Seungkwan suddenly asked.

 

"Yeah, why? Don't want me to go?" It's Vernon's turn to tease his freshman.

 

"Well... You can go. To help the staff, especially since you are the last year winner."

 

"Do I not usually help?"

 

"You just sit there being handsome," Seungkwan replied, not realizing what he had just said.

 

"Are you saying that I look handsome?" The sophomore smirked.

 

Seungkwan looked calm on the outside but he's panicking on the inside. Slowly, he figured out a way out of this embarrassing situation. "That's not the point. The point is that you just sit that and didn't help at all. That wasn't a compliment to you."

 

Vernon pressed his lips together in a sly smile. "But... Am I handsome?"

 

The freshman seemed to be at lost for word. "Auntie, is the order ready?"

 

"Almost kiddo, just a little bit more," The elderly aunt replied.

 

"Don't try to avoid the question," Vernon looked straight at Seungkwan, who couldn't tell if the sophomore is teasing him or being serious.

 

"What question?"

 

"Am I handsome?"

 

"Look in the mirror and evaluation yourself."

 

"But I want you to evaluate me."

 

"You are," Seungkwan could feel his face burning up a bit so to avoid another embarrassing moment, he gave an answer in the quietest voice possible. It was enough for Vernon to break into a smile. "But not more than me."

 

"Of course," Vernon turned the witty comment into a compliment that causes Seungkwan's face to turn red again. 

 

"Alright kiddos, here's your order," The auntie gave them their foods and received the money. "Come again, ok?"

 

Both Vernon and Seungkwan said bye to the nice lady and got up. Before Seungkwan could actually grab any of the four very large bags, Vernon held the car key in his mouth and grabbed all the bags. Seungkwan didn't complain because Vernon wasn't complaining. The said bye to the lady again before leaving the restaurant and headed to Hoshi's white car. They stop on the left side of the car.

 

"Open the door," Vernon said through his occupied mouth. 

 

"Key," Seungkwan held out his hand.

 

"Take it," The sophomore lean forward a little so Seungkwan can take the key. This surprise the freshman a little bit because it's literally a scene straight out of a drama. The female character would be getting the car key from the male lead and they would stare deeply into each others' eyes. "Hurry up, shortie, my arms hurt."

 

Seungkwan hesitantly and slowly reached up to the key only for Vernon to pull away at the last minute. The freshman was about to leave before Vernon apologized and lean over again. "Please please please."

 

"If you tease me again, I'll hit your mouth."

 

As long as you hit me with yours... "Ok ok ok."

 

This time, Seungkwan takes the key quicker to avoid the drama scene. They opened the door and put the foods in the back. By the time they got back, Vernon's friends are giving them a -eating grin but both of them ignore the annoying friends. After everyone eats dinner, the freshmen reps said thanks to the choreographer for teaching them because it's the last time the person would be here. The head staff also told them to go home and rest so they can meet up earlier tomorrow to go on the beach promotion trip. Everyone waved bye to everyone as they disperse. 

 

"Are you tire?" Sengkwan asked Mingyu.

 

"A little," Mingyu wraps his arm around Seungkwan's shoulder.

 

"Seungkwan," Hearing his name called, Seungkwan turned around to see Jennie, his partner, approaching. "Do you need a ride? Our building is nearby and I can drop you off."

 

"Well... Maybe another time, I already got a ride," Seungkwan answered awkwardly.

 

"Ok, take care. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

"Is Vernon really taking you home?" Mingyu asked after Jennie is out of earshot. "Is the guy helping you or interest in you?"

 

"Interest my ," The shorter freshman replies. "We just live in the same building."

 

"If he's not interested, he wouldn't wait for this long to pick up your sorry ."

 

"He's probably just being nice. Besides, he has to take care of everyone. Stop getting my hope up."

 

"Sometimes, you are to harsh on yourself. You really need to know what a catch you are," Mingyu scoffs.

 

"It's not that I'm being harsh. I just don't want to get my hopes up and end up getting hurt."

 

Hearing that, Mingyu his serious best friend mode and walked over to where Vernon is sitting. The other male reps had left so the other people there are Vernon, Wonwoo, and Hoshi. The trio also noticed Mingyu approaching them so their conversation was cut short so they can hear what the tall freshman has to say. 

 

"Are you taking my friend home?" Mingyu directly addressed it to Vernon. It could be considered rude since Vernon is older than Mingyu but the freshman could care less at this moment.

 

"Yeah, you got a problem with it?" Vernon got up from his seat to face Mingyu.

 

"Right now, no but I'm not so sure about it later on. Take care of him."

 

Mingyu acknowledged Wonwoo and Hoshi by saying bye to them before leaving. The two sophomore watched as the tall freshman disappears into the distance. Then, they turned back to Seungkwan, who stand in front of them like a shy child again. 

 

"Best friend or boyfriend? He acts rather overly possessive with you," Wonwoo commented.

 

"Friend... Just friend."

 

"Are you sure? It's not just us who think you guys are more than friends," Hoshi raised an eyebrow. "You know, it's rather hard to catch two fishes with one hand."

 

Seungkwan nervously laughed. "Mingyu needs to make a public announcement about that. People often mistake our closeness for being romantic with each other."

 

"Can we go home?" Vernon intervened and his tone seemed a little colder.

 

Seungkwan waved bye to Wonwoo and Hoshi before jogging to catch up with Vernon. Hoshi and Wonwoo watched them walk away as well. Of course, Hoshi couldn't stop the thought that's formulated in his head. "Damn, Mingyu is weird. Maybe he also likes Seungkwan as well."

 

 "I don't think so," Wonwoo said hesitantly.

 

"Why are you so sure?"

 

"I don't know, just a feeling."

 

"We have to make sure our boss wins in the end, so we have to find out if Mingyu likes Seungkwan or not."

 

"Fine, how about this? You worry about getting our boss with Seungkwan and I'll prove that Mingyu is just a friend to Seungkwan," Wonwoo grabbed his bag and got up. "I'll play the role of Detective Conan, ok?"

 

While the two friends worry over that subject, Vernon and Seungkwan drove home in an awkward silence. Vernon refuses to say anything because he's just as suspicious about Seungkwan and Mingyu as Hoshi is and Seungkwan have no idea what to say at the moment. A notification from Seungkwan's phone broke the silence and the freshman pulled out his phone to check the message. Vernon noticed it as well of course. 

 

ElectricPole:

How is it? Has Vernon shown any reaction? 

I think I act pretty well

 

ShortPoundCake:

He hasn't said anything yet.

Your plan .

As usual.

 Too smooth, people misunderstood.

 

Seungkwan didn't notice that he's smiling as he texted Mingyu but Vernon certainly did and he's not shy about pointing it out. "Working on your dating schedule?"

 

"What schedule?" Seungkwan blinks innocently at Vernon indirect accusation.

 

"With that face, you must have suitors lining up."

 

"What suitors?"

 

"Seokmin and Mingyu are probably in the front of the line though. What is it with you and engineers?"

 

"There isn't anything going on between me and them," The freshman pouted a bit. I wish that there something between us though.

 

"When are you gonna wake up tomorrow?" Vernon changed the subject.

 

"8, why?"

 

"Come to my room," Vernon said nonchalantly. Seungkwan held his breath for a moment. "Wake me up since I can't wake up in that time if I don't have class."

 

"Oh... how?"

 

"Knock on the door."

 

"Oh ok," Seungkwan's mind didn't go to the gutter at all. No dirty thought enter his mind at all. "I guess I can spare a little time."

 

"Great," Vernon drove into the dorm and park the car.

 

"Thanks for the ride," Seungkwan unbuckles his belt but Vernon stops him halfway. "What?"

 

"I like how you call me hyung today," Vernon smiles as both of them remember when Seungkwan called him hyung earlier. "You should do it more often."

 

"Well no, since you wouldn't stop calling me Shortie," Seungkwan retaliated.

 

"How about we make a deal? If you call me Vernon hyung, I'll call you... Kwannie."

 

Seungkwan went into an internal scream fest but he managed to keep his cool exterior. "Like hell, I'm gonna agree to it."

 

The freshman quickly exits the vehicle and sprint up to his room. When he was sure he was alone, Seungkwan broke into the biggest smile. He walked into his bathroom and close the door to prevent any sound from coming out and scream loudly. Afterward, he exits the bathroom as if nothing happened. However, that night, Seungkwan went to sleep with the biggest smile on his face. 


 

I cannot tell you how much I wish I can add background music to this. Literally, music is the best thing to get you into the mood of the story. I scream at myself when I watch this scene. 

 

Anyway, I said this before and I'll say it again. I switch the members' age around to fit the character. The reason why I do that is due to the personality of the character. I can see Seungkwan fitting the personality of Wayo and Mingyu being the protective best friend, so on so forth. On another note, I hope no one dislikes the female character because she is an essential piece. Save all the hate for when I start writing about season 2, it'll be worth it then. As of right now, she's still nice. If you haven't, I strongly recommend you watch the 2moon the series. The whole season is available on Youtube. It's so good for the fujoshi and fudanshi's heart.

 

Who's excited for the arrival of Meanie? Anyone? 

 

FIGHTING!!! Or how the Thai said it SUSUNA!!!