To Be Safe with You

To Be in Your Gaze

The room was super quiet and the only sound Seungkwan can hear is his exploding heart forcing it way out of his ribcage. If he could compare it to anything, Seungkwan would probably say that his heart is beating up a punching bag, creating pounding noise 10 times per second. He held his fists together so hard that they turned white. Let's not talk about what going on down south.  

 

"I dislike cheeky shortie that touches me without permission," Vernon looked down at the freshman with half drool eyes. "If you have to, at least get consent."

 

Seungkwan could barely focus because of the close proximity of Vernon. He also tries his best to not let Vernon notice the little problem that's slowly growing between his legs but we're still not gonna talk about it. 

 

"Give up?"

 

Seungkwan nodded.

 

"Say it!"

 

"I won't do it again, I promise."

 

"That's too bad." Vernon got up from his position. Seungkwan stays in that position for a while until his heart calms down along with another part. "Get freshen up and come downstairs before you're late."

 

"Ok."

 

Vernon was about to leave before he turned back. "By the way, did you hear a sound earlier? It's like someone beating up a punching bag 10 times per second."

 

"Not at all..."


 

By the time he got downstairs, Seungkwan was one of the last reps to appear from their room. The staff immediate got a make-up artist to apply some light make-up on his face to make him look presentable. However, the artist barely did anything because, like the last one, she kept on commenting on how good Seungkwan look without makeup. Of course, it also takes less than ten minutes for Mingyu to appear next to Seungkwan. While Seungkwan wears a gray sleeveless t-shirt and Hawaiian short, Mingyu has a beige tank top with a green S in the middle and graphic shorts. Both of them wear flip-flops to fit the beach scenery.

 

"Aww, you were as white as a ghost earlier but now, your face has a hint of pink," Mingyu like usual. "Swallow some aphrodisiac?"

 

"Aphrodisiac my ," Seungkwan retorted. "I slept on my side so my face is imprinted. Luckily, Vernon pushed me-"

 

"PUSHED YOU?"

 

"Shut up," Seungkwan hit Mingyu as usual.

 

"Look here," The make-up artist pouted her lips to tell Seungkwan to do the same. She applied a tint of red lip gloss onto the Biology male rep. "So cute. Much prettier than those girl reps."

 

"What's pretty? This is handsome," Seungkwan defends himself.

 

Both the artist and Mingyu chuckle quietly to themselves. "If you dress up as a girl, you'll definitely win the female award. Don't you agree?"

 

Mingyu nodded excitedly. "Exactly!"

 

"Shut up, no one asks for your commentary."

 

"She did," Mingyu sings.

 

"By the way, do you need something?" The make-up artist turned to Mingyu. "Or are you just waiting for your boyfriend?"

 

"No noona, he's not my boyfriend," Seungkwan immediately corrected her. He got up and pulled Mingyu away. "You! Come with me."

 

The two of them walked out of the area and looked around. Their exploring went on for a while until Seungkwan decided to speak up.

 

"Damn you, why don't you ever correct people when they say that?"

 

"It's good for me if people think I'm dating you so I can stop get calls from girls."

 

"Oh right, why did you wake me up? Vernon had to do it."

 

"I didn't go anywhere, just went to get foods. By the time I got back, I already saw Vernon walking into the room. Didn't want to be the third wheel so I went to see if any of the female rep have a bed to share. Wouldn't want to interrupt when Vernon enter you."

 

"Hey Mingyu, I'm would be the one entering him," Seungkwan looked up at his friend in all seriousness. Mingyu's expression turns into a mix of surprise, "WTF", and "are you serious". "Just kidding."

 

"With that body, who can you possible dominate?"

 

"Are you underestimate me?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Well, we'll see about that. I'm big enough to dominate you," The two of them pause for a moment and reflected on what Seungkwan just said. "I think I know why people keep on thinking we're dating."

 

"Yeah," Mingyu answered and they comically took a step away from each other. "Anyway, Vernon didn't do anything to you, right? Why are you look so lost"

 

Seungkwan remembered the position he was in earlier with Vernon on top of him. Mingyu mistook the silent for something totally ridiculous. "Don't tell me... You offer and he rejected you."

 

"No, I didn't offer," Seungkwan slapped away the pointing finger of accusation. "And tone it down."

 

"But you were disappointed."

 

"But nothing happens."

 

"But you were still disappointed," Mingyu chuckled. "Here I am being a good friend by giving you the opportunity."

 

"It was nice though, but I'm... shy..."

 

"Just from that, let see how shy you'll be tonight," Mingyu walked away. "Hurry up!"

 

While the reps are being filmed one by one, the ones that are done get to play in the pool. Most of the girls are already in the bikini and the staff chooses to let them get filmed first so the boy gets film last. That didn't stop the boy from gawk from far away. However, the two tag-a-along sophomores had fun with the girls in the freshman guys place. Since they're bored, the male freshmen played soccer instead.

 

After a while, Seungkwan got tired and skipped out on the last couple of game. He sat on one of the beach chairs and watch the other guys finished the game on the sand. The guy who was filming happens to stay nearby and snap a couple of candid picture of Seungkwan. Seokmin came out of nowhere and stirred the guy away, not wanting people to see Seungkwan when the younger male is tired.

 

"You just got over the carsick so you shouldn't play any overwhelming activity," Seokmin said as he sat down next to Seungkwan. "Don't even think about going back in."

 

"I didn't see you this afternoon," Seungkwan commented.

 

Seokmin smiles to himself. "Were you looking for me?"

 

"It's impossible since you know where to hide apparently."

 

"Should I be happy that you bother to look out for little old me?"

 

Before Seungkwan could answer, Wonwoo and Hoshi show up with a water bottle and handed to Seungkwan. "Hey, how can you still talk after that soccer game?"

 

"Hey Wonwoo, are you getting too tan for your skin?" Seokmin joked. 

 

"Hoshi had to take care of the female reps," Wonwoo shrugged. "And someone needs to make sure he doesn't touch the figures."

 

Seungkwan looked over to where Hoshi stood but his eyes immediate gravitated itself toward Vernon, who stood next to Hoshi. However, Seokmin continued the conversation. "Wonwoo, you and your medicine gang should come to my room tonight for drinks."

 

"Sure," Wonwoo answers. "Vernon, Hoshi, you gonna come?"

 

"Is it free?" Hoshi asked with a grin. 

 

"Duh!"

 

"Count me in and Vernon too."

 

"Oh, Seungkwan, you should come too," Seokmin shoulder-bumps the freshman. 

 

"No!" Vernon rejected. Everyone looked at him like they're surprised and expecting an explanation. "Well... He's recovering from the carsickness. Drinking could be bad. Come on Hoshi, you must be itching to see the girls again."

 

Hoshi happily followed Vernon back to the pool again. Just as two left, one came. "Hi, Wonwoo hyung. Are you here for me?"

 

"Hell no!" Wonwoo almost rolled his eyes when he turned a bit around to see Mingyu running toward him. "Seungkwan, I'm gonna go now."

 

"What's the rush, hyung?" Mingyu teased. The older sophomore made a mistake to turn back to see Mingyu waved and winked at him. When Wonwoo is out of sight, Mingyu went back to his game.

 

"Does Mingyu likes Wonwoo?" Seokmin spoke up.

 

"I don't know, hyung," Seungkwan shrugged. "I want to ask him the same thing."

 

"What about you?" The older male asked hesitantly. "Is there anyone you liked?"

 

"Me? I don't dare to like anyone," The freshman lied. He does like someone but he just doesn't want anyone, except Mingyu, to know right now. "Whoever I like probably won't like me back."

 

"Don't discredit yourself too much. With a face like yours, you can get anyone you want. Trust me!"

 

"No way hyung. I'm not as attractive as you. You're the type that can get anyone you like to like you back."

 

"Really?" Seokmin chuckled a bit. He really wishes that that's true because the person who sits right in front of him doesn't seem to show any interest in him at all in a romantic way. "Maybe not..."

 

They sat there in silence for a while until one of the staff needed Seokmin to help with something. The older male said bye to Seungkwan before they separated. By that time, Mingyu and the male freshmen had already finished the soccer game so they cleaned up as well. Both Mingyu and Seungkwan went back to their room. Mingyu changed out of his clothes so he wore a maroon sleeveless shirt with brown shorts. On the other hand, Seungkwan just laid on his stomach on the king size bed, reading his manga.

 

"Hey, I'm leaving now," Mingyu announced. "Your Vernon is going to be there. Don't get grumpy if you're not coming with me right now."

 

"I won't... Just go!"

 

"Fine fine fine."

 

Mingyu walked to the door but only got stop when Seungkwan spoke up again. "Wait, Mingyu... What do you think of Vernon's friend?"

 

"Which one?" The taller male knows exactly who Seungkwan is talking about. He just acts dumb.

 

"Stop pretending..."

 

"Oh, I remember. Wonwoo hyung? Just... no thought as of right now. But if my friend gets with his friend, maybe in the future..."

 

"So it depends on me now?"

 

Mingyu shrugged. Although he doesn't look like it, Mingyu is very thoughtful of his action. He really is interested in Wonwoo but he wants to wait it out for Seungkwan's decision on Vernon. If the two of them don't work out, then Seungkwan will probably want to stop associate himself with everything that has to do with Vernon, including Wonwoo. In that regard, if Mingyu decided to chase after Wonwoo, it would only put his shorter friend in an uncomfortable situation.

 

"It's your own business though," Seungkwan said as a matter of fact.

 

"It's better if we take care of each other."

 

"Just go!" The shorter sighs. There's a little hint of happiness in his voice because he never knew how important he is to Mingyu. The guy, basically, puts Seungkwan's happiness ahead of his own. Seungkwan really couldn't ask for a better friend. "Have fun."

 

"Bye!" Mingyu puts on his slippers and walks out the door. However, it's barely two seconds before he peeks his head back in. "I almost forgot. I'm gonna lock the door or else you might dominate someone."

 

"Go to hell!" Seungkwan yells. He had to fight the urge to throw the book in his hand at the door. Mingyu knew that if he stays, he'll be dead meat so he quickly retreats from the door. Once again, it was barely two second before someone else walked in the door. "Oh, what are you doing here? Aren't you going drinking at Seokmin hyung's room?"

 

"Change of cloth," Vernon answered shortly as he took off his slippers. The sophomore didn't say much more than that. He walked over to the sofa and ped his luggage. Seungkwan followed the older male with his eyes but he half-wished he hadn't because Vernon took off his shorts right there. Of course, the older male wears boxer under the short but just the sight of his crush like that could cause Seungkwan's face to turn a bit red. To make matter worse, he couldn't look away. Vernon said something to him but he wasn't even paying attention. "Shortie! I asked if you have taken your medicine yet?"

 

"Huh? I did, just a little while ago."

 

"Good, then get some sleep."

 

"I slept enough. Not again!"

 

"If you're not gonna sleep, then what are you gonna do?" Vernon asked. 

 

Seungkwan might be innocent but he isn't innocent enough to no remember the event that happened earlier. The imagine of Vernon on top of him this afternoon flashed through his head like a film but it's not like he gonna tell the older male that. "Reading manga."

 

"How childish... Drink pink milk, get carsick, and reading mangas. What a spoil prince!"

 

"Then why don't you just go? So you don't have to be around this spoil prince. What they run out of alcohol?"

 

"No worries, those guys can hold their liquor so they will have more than enough."

 

Suddenly, a knock on their door causes both of them to turn their attention to the noise. Vernon walked over to the door and opened it, revealing a girl. Not just any girl. Her name is Lisa and she's one of the favorites to win the competition as the female rep. Of course, she also noticed Seungkwan after saying hi flirtatiously to Vernon. 

 

"Vernon Oppa, can you help me move the sofa in my room?" Lisa twirled her hair. "There isn't a lot of room for me to push it so I was trying to carry it but it's too heavy. Can you help?"

 

"Sure," Of course, Vernon agrees. He had to maintain his gentleman attitude. When Vernon turned around to put on his slippers, Seungkwan saw Lisa physically checking out his crush. Seungkwan couldn't do anything except cringe. 

 

When they're out of the room, Seungkwan laid there in silence. He's struggled to fight with his inner self as to whether he should go or stay where he is. It's not like he doesn't trust Vernon to do something, He doesn't trust Lisa and such a convenient situation she got herself into. Like seriously, moving a sofa? WHat's up with that? In the end, he decided to get up and look out the door. It was only a minute or two before Vernon walked out of Lisa's room. Although they were a little far away, Seungkwan could still hear their conversation due to the slight echo the hallway has.

 

"Make sure to lock your door so no one can get in," Vernon warned the girl.

 

"Why don't you just stay?" Lisa flipped her hair behind her shoulder, revealing that she's wearing a one-shoulder blouse. "My roommate Jisoo and Rose won't be back for a while."

 

"I think it's best if I don't. The shortie needs my protection more."

 

"Ok," The girl freshman fake smiled before walking back into her room. She looks disappointed as hell, but Seungkwan's not gonna rub it in her face or anything. He just thought about it.

 

Of course, Vernon caught him in the act of spying. He didn't say anything though, just walked back into their room. "Don't spread what you saw around. It'll ruin her reputation."

 

"Hers or yours? I heard that if a girl came to you, you never said no."

 

Vernon stood looking down at Seungkwan, who sat on the bed, looking smug for all the wrong reasons. "So this wasn't your first time spying?"

 

"It's just a hunch. And from the way you walk to the way you talk, you kinda look like the type."

 

"I was like that but not anymore..."

 

"Why?" Seungkwan is poking his nose other people business but he's too curious to stop himself now. "You've met someone you like?"

 

 The sophomore didn't answer the kid who is looking up at him, blinking nonstop. He just walked over to his luggage and took out the cloth he wanted to change into. When he walked to the door that leads to the bathroom, Vernon stopped and turned his head back to Seugkwan, who followed his every movement. "Don't you have some mangas to read?"

 

By the time he comes out from the bathroom, Vernon has his hair down and smells refreshingly new, which indicate he had taken a shower. He's in a long sleeve white sweater with blue shorts now. Seungkwan is still in the same position. "Aren't you in a hurried?"

 

"Why? Want me to leave that badly?"

 

"No, just curious."

 

"I'm not going."

 

"Why?"

 

"Like I said earlier..." Vernon puts some lotion on his neck. "...You need someone to protect you."

 

"What about Lisa? Is she really alright?"

 

"I got used to that trick already. Or are you gonna do that as well?"

 

"No..."

 

"I should be careful of my own safety," The sophomore chuckled. He walked over to where Seungkwan is sitting and lean down, causing the freshman to lean back a bit to put some space in between them. "But to be honest, I think you should be careful of me."

 

Seungkwan inhaled sharply from Vernon's bold words. 

 

"It's fun to tease you, do you know that?"


 

I swear the next chapter will be mainly focused on Meanie. Also, who feel bad for Seokmin? We all know how this is gonna end. Disclaimer: I love BlackPink to death so don't sue me for using Lisa as an antagonistic character. Ok, love you!

 

FIGHTING!!!