To Be Liked by Your Best Friends

To Be in Your Gaze

 

Seungkwan slipped on the water and grabbed onto the closest thing that was within his arms reach. That thing turned out to be Vernon himself. By instinct, Vernon also caught the shorter boy and the two of them awkwardly stare into each other eyes. The freshman immediately regained his balance and stood back up, hiding his reddened face. 

 

"Are you alright, shortie?" Vernon asked worriedly. "Walk carefully! The water is slippery."

 

"It's fine," Seungkwan replied awkwardly. "Let's hurry or else the pharmacy will close."

 

"Pharmacy opened 24 hours," The sophomore replied.

 

Once again, Seungkwan awkwardly continued to walk as Vernon followed him, trying to shield the younger boy with the umbrella. The older kept on stare the younger, trying to figure the boy out. Seungkwan knows Vernon is staring at him but he keeps on looking ahead and not give in to his curiosity. When they got to the pharmacy, Seungkwan made his way to the whole store to get the vitamin he needed and run to the register. By the time, the two leave the pharmacy the rain had miraculously stopped. Seungkwan walked next to Vernon with the vitamin in a bad in his right hand and the folded up umbrella in his left hand. 

 

"Good for you for getting first place on the test," Seungkwan finally decided to break the ice when they're two-thirds of the way back to the dorm. "Too bad you're so annoying."

 

"Being annoying have nothing to do with being smart," Vernon replied with a slight smirk.

 

The two of them went their separate way when they got to the dorm. Seungkwan ran up to his room to enjoy the simple bliss of spending a little time with Vernon. The latter immediately fished out his phone to call his friend, Wonwoo.

 

"What do you want at this time of the night, boss?" Wonwoo groaned. His groggy voice makes it apparent that he was sleeping. "It better be worth it."

 

"Wonwoo, the shortie is nearsighted," Vernon said nervously.

 

Although he already knows that, Wonwoo decided to entertain himself by giving in to Vernon's newfound revelation. "So what?"

 

"Which high school was he from?" Vernon asked.

 

"How would I know? I don't know," Wonwoo lied, smiling to himself.

 

"The two of them looked really similar," Vernon's voice got soft thinking back to his high school's crush. "I mean really..."

 

"If there's nothing else, I'm gonna catch some z. Let's talk more tomorrow when I'm not half asleep."

 

"Wait! Come to the training area with me tomorrow. I need somebody to go with me."

 

"Ok," Wonwoo immediately hang up and laugh to himself. He shook his head at his friend obliviousness and laid back down to sleep.

 

The next day, all the freshman reps gathered in the training area to practice dancing. Everything is going smoothly and the steps are sinking into the muscle memories. Seungkwan's rep partner, Jennie, had to look out for Seungkwan since the boy wasn't the best dancer and kind of a klutz. However, the boy barely paid attention as he strategically glides over next to Mingyu, who was a couple foot away with his own partner. 

 

"Hey, Mingyu," Seungkwan whispered, surprising both the girl and Mingyu. "Have you seen Vernon?"

 

"Yo, Seungkwan, do you feel tired because of the training?" Mingyu asked his best friend in disbelief. "Damn you, nowadays, you only use me as your spy. He's not here yet. we literally just start practicing. Don't you think that lazy- who just sat there will come this early?"

 

Seungkwan kinda pouts a little when Mingyu called his crush a lazy-. It might be true but it still hurt to hear it out loud. Mingyu just rolled his eyes when he sees the pouty lips. He wanna smack the boy for being dumb right now.

 

"Why are you wearing glasses today?" Mingyu suddenly changed the subject.

 

"My eyes start to hurt because I wore my contact lenses too much," Seungkwan answered. 

 

"Need to see a doctor? I'll take you," The taller male immediately offered.

 

"How nice of you!" Seungkwan said sarcastically. He knows Mingyu only offered because that means they get to ditch practice. "You just wanna ditch, don't you?"

 

"You know me so well, bestie!"

 

"I'm fine. It'll be gone tomorrow."

 

"Oh look, over there. Your honey!"

 

Seungkwan did a whiplash only to see Sonne walked in through the glass door. Every guy's eyes followed her as she walked past them. It's only natural for her to be here since she was last year female rep.

 

"You idiot, not her," Seungkwan elbowed Mingyu.

 

"So pretty!"

 

"Then, why don't you pursue her?"

 

"Nawh, my best friend doesn't like her."

 

"What does that have to do with this?"

 

"You're my best buddy. I wouldn't betray you. If I like someone, I want you to like them as well. And vice versa."

 

"Hey, you two, stop chatting," The choreographer yelled at them. "You're behind on the step. Get back to your partner."

 

As the practice went on, Seungkwan kept an eye out for Vernon's appearance but it never occurs. Jennie kept on have to correct the boy's movement because he was so distracted. But soon enough, Vernon walked through the glass door with Hoshi in front of him. The two of them greeted the other sophomore's reps. Seungkwan immediately ducked behind Jennie to hide. However, the girl has an obviously smaller frame than him so Seungkwan ran over to hide behind Mingyu's larger body.

 

"Why are you hiding?" Mingyu was about to elbow the shorter boy in the face because of the dance move. "So annoying!"

 

"Wait!" Seungkwan kept on gripping onto Mingyu's shoulders. Vernon and Hoshi finally finished greeting their friends and turned toward the mass of dancing freshmen. "Hey Mingyu, is there anything on my face?"

 

"Yep," Mingyu was unimpressed with his best friend. 

 

"What is it?"

 

"Your ugly face," Mingyu tried to contain his laughter.

 

" you! Be serious!"

 

"Just your glasses."

 

Hiding behind Mingyu didn't help because Vernon and Hoshi could easily see the small boy behind the giant. Hoshi internally smirked as he looked over to Vernon, who looked stunned and speechless. The two of them have the same thought going through their head.

 

"Vernon must think I'm so ugly," Seungkwan said quietly. "He keeps on staring at me."

 

"Calm down, shortie," Mingyu tried to copy Vernon's voice. "It's not the time to be a chicken. You think too much. Go back to practicing. QUICKLY!"

 

Seungkwan pouted again and timidly stepped back to his position. Jennie hides her laughter as they continue to dance. Of course, Seungkwan is more distracted now knowing Vernon is watching him. Vernon still hasn't uttered a single word and Hoshi is having the time of his life. Never had he ever seen Vernon this speechless. Of course, he did the most logical thing any friend would do. He called other friends.

 

"What's wrong, Hoshi? I'm almost there," Wonwoo answered the phone called after he got his coffee. 

 

"Hurry up and see Vernon's face," Hoshi said excitedly.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"Hurry, it's a surprise!"

 

"What did you do this time?"

 

"Just hurry!"

 

By the time Wonwoo go to the training area, Vernon is still in a daze as he continued to watch Seungkwan. Hoshi pointed out the shortie in the crowd of freshmen. 

 

", he's wearing glasses today," Wonwoo let the cuss word slipped out. The two of them continued to enjoy looking at Vernon's stun face.

 

When the choreographer called for a break, everyone collapsed onto the floor. Seungkwan managed to crawl to a wall and sat down. His water bottle was half empty by the time he finished drinking from it. Jennie took a seat down next to him.

 

"You really nice today with your glasses," She commented.

 

"Thank but you don't have to comfort me," He replied. "I know it makes me looks ugly."

 

"No, I think you looked cute today," Jennie ruffled the boy's hair. "I serious."

 

"Thanks," Seungkwan blushed a bit.

 

"Breaks over, come on," The choreographer clapped his hands.

 

During the second portion of the practice, everyone manages to roughly remember the steps. Seungkwan thinks he did fine but his hair kept on being a nuisance to his vision. "Jennie, do you have a hair band? I kinda want to tie up my hair."

 

"Oh sure," Jennie took a hair band from her wrist. "Come here, I'll do it."

 

Seungkwan bent down a bit to let Jennie tie his bang up. Now it looked like he has a palm tree in front of his head. "Thank you."

 

They ended the practice around lunch time when one of the senior announced a rather surprising news. "Alright everyone, we have foods already delivered. You should thank our rep, Sonne because she paid for everything."

 

Everyone thanked her out loud as Sonne smile brightly and handed everyone a box of foods. as he waited, Seungkwan overheard some other freshmen talking behind him. 

 

"Isn't she Vernon's girlfriend?"

 

"Is that true?"

 

"It's kinda obvious."

 

By the time it was near his turn, the foods ran out. Sonne miscounted the number of people so she and a couple of the guys volunteered to go and get more. While waiting, Seungkwan just sat on the floor in the middle of the room with his cheek rest again his fist.

 

"Seungkwan," The said boy looked up when he heard his name being called. Wonwoo smiled down at him with a box of foods in his hand. Hoshi is right behind the shorter sophomore with a frozen pink milk in his hand. "Why you looked so depressed?"

 

"Hi hyungs," Seungkwan looked like a deer in a headlight.

 

"Dork, here's your lunch," Wonwoo handed the foods over, which Seungkwan graciously accepted. 

 

"Thank hyung," The freshman took the box. "Why are you here today?"

 

"Vernon forced us to be here," Wonwoo answered. Unknown to them. Mingyu is watching from one corner. "Where the hell is he?"

 

"This is also for you," Hoshi handed over the frozen pink milk.

 

"Hey, leave the kid alone," Vernon suddenly appeared out of nowhere. "He got to eat since their lunch is short."

 

Both of Vernon's best friends rolled their eyes and said bye to Seungkwan. Wonwoo ruffled the boy's little palm tree hair and Hoshi flicked his glasses a bit before leaving. Vernon and Seungkwan stared at each other for a moment before walking away as well. Mingyu saw the opportunity and shuffled his way to his best friend with two boxes of foods in his hands.

 

"That was strange," Mingyu commented.

 

"Why do you say that?"

 

"I don't know what tricks this magician tried to pull but it's working."

 

"Shut up!"

 

"Here, one was supposed to be for you but we can split it if you can't finish the whole thing," Mingyu place one of the two boxes in his hand in between the two of them and grabbed the bright pink beverage. "Let me have a sip."

 

After he took the longest sip ever, Mingyu placed the drink down but Seungkwan moved the drink far away from Mingyu's reach, to which Mingyu mumbled with a laugh. "Cheapskate."

 

The practice ended with one of the staff member showing the reps where the competition will take place. It was a big auditorium with a huge stage in the front. The place was big enough to hold the whole student population, or so the girl told them.

 

"So you guys can get a feel for it," She waved her hands around as she talked. "Understood? There's one important section you should know. Gather around, hurry now!"

 

Everyone attentively listens as the staff explained the competition step by step. "After showing you guys off as a group, we will get to show you guys off as an individual, so that means talent show. Each of you will get three minutes. Please tell us beforehand what you'll do so we can prepare the necessary props and equipment for you, ok?"

 

Everyone said bye as the staff girl leave and the group started to disperse. Jennie waved bye to Seungkwan as she slung her bag onto her back. everyone leave so only Seungkwan and Mingyu remained. The latter had a huge grin on his face for no reason at all.

 

"What?" Seungkwan asked suspiciously.

 

"I'm showing off my martial art skill for the show," Mingyu suddenly said. "You? Feeling the pressure?"

 

"Is sleeping a talent?"

 

"While you're at it, read your manga as well."

 

"Really?"

 

"Of course not, dummy! So gullible!"

 

"Then I don't know what to do."

 

Mingyu was about to answer but he looked ahead to see someone walking toward them. He thanks heaven for his luck and smiles cheekily to himself. "I'll be right back."

 

As Mingyu walked away backward, Seungkwan looked forward to see Vernon. Like usual, Seungkwan got tongue tie and was unable to speak. Vernon just looked at him, expecting a snarky comment. "You're gonna stay here till tomorrow?"

 

Still speechless, Seungkwan slightly opens his mouth but immediately close it. Vernon sees this and continued the conversation himself. "Want a ride back? I drove my car here."

 

...

 

"Yes or no?"

 

"Y-Yes."

 

"Alright, finish whatever business you have. I'll wait by the car," Vernon his heel and leave out the wooden door of the auditorium.

 

Seungkwan stood there, watching his crush walk away in amazement. Mingyu was peeking through another door and saw the coast was clear so he sneaks behind Seungkwan. "Still speechless? No need to thank me. Let's go home now."

 

"Wait, I can't."

 

"Why not?"

 

"Daaaaamn! I got goosebumps all over. Someone is getting his man. Your little puppy finally wants you again. But I wonder why now? Maybe he wants your booty in return."

 

"I wouldn't go that far. That's your expertise."

 

Mingyu just smirk. "Just do your best! And remember, don't swallow if you don't want to."

 

"Shut up!" Seungkwan smacked the boy. "So weird, why does he do this? Look how ugly I am. Do I smell?"

 

"You're a cutie. So cute that any gender is attracted to you," Mingyu pinched the shorter boy's chin. "Don't waste your time with me. Go get your man!"

 

"Ok," Seungkwan started to walk away and Mingyu immediately smacked his booty causing him to jump into the air.

 

"Don't forget to use protection."

 

"Gross," Seungkwan ran away with a red face.

 

Outside, Vernon leaned against his black shiny car, waiting for Seungkwan. The freshman was out of breath by the time he arrived. 

 

"Finished with your business?" Vernon asked coolly.

 

"It's Mingyu who kept me," Seungkwan pushes the blame toward his best friend. 

 

"Get in," The older boy simply said. 

 

Seungkwan walked to the other side of the car. The happiness he felt was slowly leaking out. He held his hands together to thank every deity, gods, and angels up in heaven for this chance. 

 

"Shortie, what the hell are you doing?" Vernon judged him from the other side of the car. "Who are you worshipping at this time?"

 

"No one..." Seungkwan deadpanned. "Just praying I'll get home safely."

 

"Get in, we are going to eat first, I'm hungry."


 

Season one of 2moons had recently ended and I'm in denial. Please send help. TT _ TT


FIGHTING!!!