To Be Torn Up by You

To Be in Your Gaze

Seungkwan had a great time at the sushi place. The foods were great but the company was better. For once, he and Vernon get along and neither of them was bickering over stupid things. Vernon even feeds Seungkwan. At the same time, Seungkwan is also having a fun time with Seokmin. The older boy was great at making Seungkwan comfortable while they eat at the hot pot place down the street from the university. The two of them cheer and click their drink together. 

 

Maybe it's time to wake up from the wondrous dream. Seungkwan sighed to himself as he snapped out of dreamland and find himself back to reality. 

 

"What's wrong?" Mingyu asked with a knowing smile on his pretty face. "Can't figure out how to cut yourself in two?"

 

"Why do I have to cut myself into two?" 

 

"So you can go on both date," Mingyu laughed. "Words of advice, don't cut yourself top and bottom. The sophomores will fight over to / part."

 

"I hope you hear that cricket chirping," Seungkwan sassed back. "Your joke keeps getting drier and drier. The little mermaid is turning into a land shark because of you."

 

"I just don't like seeing you bummed out," The taller boy shoulder bumped his best friend.

 

"I'm not bummed out," The shorter disagreed.

 

"Yeah right! There's nothing to feel bummed out about. Ok. Ok," Sarcasm is literally dripping out of Mingyu's words. "Splitting your heart in two for those hotties must be tearing you apart."

 

Seungkwan just rolled his eyes and slumped down on the bench the two were sitting on. Honestly, he felt really stupid for not thinking ahead. Now, Seungkwan has to figure out a way to get out of this predicament. On one hand, Seokmin asked him first and the older helped him out earlier today. It would be a slap in the face if Seungkwan doesn't take Seokmin out to dinner, especially since he promised him. On the other hand, Seungkwan has been crushing on Vernon for so long. This might be the chance he had been waiting for his whole love life. 

 

"Just follow your heart," Mingyu's voice snapped Seungkwan out of his thoughts. "There should be a right answer for every problem."

 

"I promised Seokmin hyung," Seungkwan answered.

 

"What's Seokmin hyung's real intention?" The taller male smirked and let his thoughts verbalized. "What's he trying to do with my best friends? That Seokmin."

 

"Hyung is really nice. If it wasn't for him, I would give up a long time ago." The shorter defended. Mingyu gave an are-you-serious face. "But you're right. I have not idea what he wants. Although he's really mysterious, his insights and advice are always spot on."

 

", Seungkwan!" Mingyu's expression changed into a serious face.

 

"What?"

 

"Don't be a playboy!"

 

"Shut up!" Seungkwan sent a flying slap but Mingyu dodged it expertly.

 

"It's you," The best friend exclaimed. "You boasted about loving Vernon but here you are, looking extremely fascinated by Seokmin. Playboy!"

 

"What are you saying!" 

 

"what are you guys chatting about?" Seokmin asked coolly as he walked up to the freshman in the training area.

 

"Oh! Seokmin hyung, hello!" Seungkwan quickly greeted the sophomore, so does Mingyu.

 

"You guys must be the reason why training got delayed," Seokmin sipped on the soda can in his hand. 

 

"It's not us hyung. The dances and instructions are hard to learn," Mingyu replied.

 

"Which part is hard, Mingyu?" The sophomore scowled. "Even a low IQ person like me can easily pick it up."

 

"Oh," Seungkwan spoke up. "If you're low IQ, we're definitely morons."

 

"Hyung, I've been told that you're gonna go eat with Seungkwan," Mingyu smiled. "Can I come?"

 

Seokmin paused for a bit before answering."Why not? The more the merrier."

 

"Thank you," Mingyu quickly looked at Seungkwan and gave the shorter freshman a knowing smirk.

 

"But just us three, I'm not used to eat with strangers."

 

"Sir yes, sir."

 

"Alright, good luck with training. I'll pick you guys up afterward."

 

"Hyung, you don't need to wait on us," Seungkwan suddenly spoke up after staring at Seokmin for so long. 

 

"It's my choice," Seokmin waved to the two of them. "Gotta go."

 

Mingyu waited until the sophomore was completely out of sight and turned to his best friend. "I think Seokmin hyung liked you."

 

"You're crazy! He doesn't like me."

 

"We'll see," The taller friend pinched Seungkwan's cheek. "How are you gonna handle this?"

 

"What are you saying?"

 

"With the other half of your heart?" Mingyu looked pass Seungkwan and smirked at the person walking toward them from Seungkwan's behind. "May the force be with you!"

 

As Mingyu booked it out of there, Seungkwan was distracted by Vernon, who stood at the bench table. He held a piece of paper in hand and slapped it gently on Seungkwan's face.

 

"What?" Seungkwan stood up and took the paper from him.

 

"Look at it yourself," Vernon said.

 

"100% and full mark?" Seungkwan read the name on the top of the score list. 

 

"Yep, full mark, 30 out of 30 so sushi?"

 

"Vernon?"

 

The two male turned to see Sonne walking up to them. She immediately had her attention on Vernon, barely minding Seungkwan. "Here you are! Let's go have sushi. Didn't you say you're gonna go eat there? Oh, you're..."

 

"Seungkwan..."

 

"Yeah. Thank you for staying up late to give me those papers. They're lifesavers today," Sonne smiled. "You must have gone to bed pretty late. I'll beat Vernon up for you. With my fist."

 

Seungkwan just smiles in response. He tried not to be a little possessive with the way Sonne holding on to Vernon's arm. "It's no trouble at all."

 

"Next time, just slide it under my door. Ok, Vernon, let's go."

 

"Alright," Vernon looked back at Seungkwan. "Good luck with your training. Ok, sushi it is."

 

"Bye..."

 

Seungkwan just watched as the two perfect pair walked away. Sonne walked really close to Vernon and the guy is not even flinching away. They must be pretty close if Vernon doesn't care if Sonne held his arm. 

 

"How close are they. Rumor has it that Sonne is Vernon's girlfriend," Mingyu whispered into Seungkwan's ear. Leave it to the best friend to appear out of nowhere and provide helpful information. Seungkwan's rep partner, Jennie, also appear.

 

"Not only is she a rep of the medicine department but she's also the rep of the school," Jennie informed. "In term of popularity, she is Vernon's equal."

 

"Yeah, quite a perfect match," Seungkwan answered sadly.

 

The sadness carried throughout the training and dance lesson. Although he was able to forget it for a while, it resurfaced when Seungkwan cleaned up to go eat hot pot with Seokmin. The sophomore waited for the two freshmen. He also noticed the gloomy aura surrounding Seungkwan.

 

"Mingyu..."

 

"Yes, hyung?"

 

"What's the matter with Seungkwan?" 

 

"He's heartbroken."

 

"Heartbroken? What happened?"

 

Mingyu leaned closer to Seungkwan rested his head on the shorter boy's mop of hair. "His little puppy forgot about him and when for a female dog."

 

"You wanna eat another slap?" Seungkwan glared back.

 

Seokmin shook his head and place another piece of meat in Seungkwan's bowl, and another, and another, and another. "Eat more. You're such a tragic lead in a soap opera. Just eat!"

 

They ate in silent again until Mingyu decided to get more information out of Seokmin. "Say hyung, do you know Vernon's girlfriend?"

 

Seungkwan tried to kick Mingyu under the table but Mingyu knew his friend well enough to dodge it. Seokmin was completely oblivious of this exchange and answered Mingyu's question. "Vernon's girlfriend? Who?"

 

"The girl that always hang around with Vernon. The female rep from last year?" Mingyu was really asking this for Seungkwan. the shorter boy acted uninterested but he's listening to every word. 

 

Seokmin thought about it for a bit. "Ooooh, Sonne?"

 

"I think so."

 

"You have a crush on her?"

 

"Hell no. She seems like a girl with high standard. Who would dare?"

 

"You are quite right. No one dares to pursue her." Hearing this, Seungkwan got more interested and lean a bit closer to listen. Mingyu smirked as the reaction he wanted from Seungkwan showed. "She's one of those fangirls that chase after Vernon, although she doesn't look like it. However, I have no idea what Vernon think about her? Don't tell me, Vernon is the one you're chasing after."

 

"No way hyung," Mingyu laughed. "You're being ridiculous."

 

"You two would make a good match," Seokmin teased.

 

"If I ever come out, Seungkwan would be at the top of the list," Mingyu wrapped an arm around his best friend's neck. "what do you think?"

 

"No way, you never told me these things," Seungkwan playfully punch his best friend. Seokmin looked fondly at Seungkwan as the two freshmen fight playfully.

 

"Seungkwan, smile more. You look cuter when you smile," Seokmin commented. "Why hide those smile?"

 

The two friends stopped and Seungkwan's face turned a bit red. Mingyu smiled knowingly to himself. "Hyung, are you hitting on my friend by calling him cute?"

 

"How can I answer that question with him still sitting here?" Seokmin said awkwardly.

 

"Ok, pretend he's not here," The taller freshman covered Seungkwan's face. "Do you think Seungkwan is cute?"

 

Seungkwan can still peek through the crevices between Mingyu's fingers. Seokmin looked straight at Seungkwan. "Yes, I think he is very cute."

 

While Seungkwan was completely stunned by Seokmin's words, Mingyu just continues eating with a smirk on his face.

 

"Ya know, you won't win the competition this year," The sophomore took a bite of the meat. 

 

"Wait, why?" Seungkwan asked curiously.

 

"You're extremely cute but not handsome," Seokmin explained. "Compare yourself to Vernon. You guys are totally different. The Engineering Department will win this year."

 

Mingyu and Seokmin happily click their drinks together to cheer.

 

"Just because you guys are in the same department," Seungkwan shook his head. "What if I win?"

 

"Not possible."

 

"But what if I win?"

 

"Then... I'll give you a reward," Seokmin smiled.

 

"Deal," The short freshman raised his eyebrows. "You better go get a job for that reward then."

 

"It seems like you're much happier now," Seokmin ruffled the boy's hair from across the table.

 

"Maybe he forgot his old dog and got a new puppy," Mingyu commented on the side, breaking the little moment Seokmin and Seungkwan have. 

 

"You should be in the Writing department," Seungkwan deadpanned. "Your brain is deeper than a hole."

 

"I'm just being honest," Mingyu shrugged. He leaned closer to Seungkwan and whispered to him. "Look how pumped up you get knowing Vernon is single."

 

"Mingyu, stop talking nonsense," Seungkwan playfully hit his best friend.

 

"Seungkwan, stop abusing me. Seokmin hyung, help!"

 

The sophomore watched fondly from the other side of the table. The three of them finished eating. Seungkwan insisted on paying but Seokmin beat him to it first. The older boy pays the whole dinner and drove all of them back home. That night, Seungkwan finds himself having a hard time sleeping. His brain is going into overdrive.

 

Sonne is smart and very pretty, Seungkwan sighed as he rolled around in bed. The most important thing is gender because Vernon likes girl. I'm a boy and look like I just hit puberty. Also, I have the wrong set of s. I don't have a chance.

 

Seungkwan the light and sit up. He leaned on his hands and look over to the drawer. Pictures of Vernon in his high school days littered all over the top of the drawer. The boy got up and walked over the drawer. 

 

From the moment Vernon told Hoshi hyung that he likes girl, I'm already doomed.

 

Just then, Seungkwan heard keys jingling. He immediately ran to the door. He quickly fixed his appearance before peeking out the door. To say he was disappointed was an understatement. Seungkwan was expecting Vernon to walked Sonne back to her apartment like before but Sonne was alone this time.

 

"Oh, Sonne noona," Seungkwan tried to hide his disappointment.

 

"Good evening Seungkwan," Sonne greeted back. "Is something wrong?"

 

"You're home late," The freshman commented. "Where... Where is Vernon?"

 

"After dinner, he went to study with his friends," The female sophomore answered.

 

"He still studies after the exam?"

 

"Yeah, he wanna help the people who didn't get high scores. Some of his friends from class will be taking the makeup test tomorrow morning."

 

"Then, do you know when he'll be back?"

 

"Do you need to relay a message? I see him tomorrow and I could tell him."

 

"Oh, I just... ummm..." Seungkwan awkwardly tried to come up with an excuse to see Vernon. Sonne just slightly turned her head sideways as she waited for an answer. "... Have some question about the competition."

 

"Oh, he was helping someone when I left," Sonne explained. "It won't take long but you'll probably have to wait a bit."

 

"His room is... Floor 4, room 4 right?"

 

"It's Floor 3 room 3," Sonne laughed slightly. "You confusing it with some girl room."

 

You're so dumb, Seungkwan. The freshman thoughts to himself. "Sorry for bothering you, noona. Thak you so much."

 

"No problem, good night," She waved before opening her apartment door and walked inside. 

 

Seungkwan awkwardly walked back to his room and reanalyzed everything. Damn it! She's smart, beautiful, decent, knowledgeable, humorous, and so polite. I definitely got no chance at all. How could Vernon not like her? But what's wrong with me? Why am I so curious? I'm turning into Mingyu's stupid brain.

 

Mingyu sneezed in his room while looking at his phone.


 

Seungkwan waited and waited some more. It's pretty late already but he stayed up just to see Vernon. From reading his mangas to walking around his room, Seungkwan tried to keep himself busy until then. After getting some fresh air from the balcony, Seungkwan walked back inside only to heard the sky rumbled. Rain started to pour down like no tomorrow. The freshman quickly grabs his umbrella and ran downstairs to the lobby. 

 

He waited there until a car parked in the vacant spot. The car belonged to Vernon. Seungkwan quickly opened his umbrella and ran to the car. 

 

Vernon shut down his car engine and opened the door. He held his bag over his head to prevent himself from getting wet. However, his bag didn't get wet at all. Vernon turned around to see Seungkwan holding the umbrella over the two of them. 

 

"Y-You're home late?" Seungkwan mentally slapped himself for stuttering.

 

"What about you? Why aren't you slept?" Vernon asked back.

 

"I... have to go to the pharmacy store," The freshman answered. 

 

"I thought you're waiting for me," The handsome sophomore replied. "Your timing is impeccable. So... are you sick or something?"

 

"Umm... I need some vitamins," Seungkwan hesitantly answered. "I've gone to bed late recently which is bad for my skin."

 

Vernon leaned closer. "I thought it's for your eyes. It looked a little red."

 

"Oh, that's the contact lenses."

 

Vernon was quiet for a bit before he speaks up again. "You're nearsighted?"

 

Seungkwan nodded a little too enthusiastic and smiled. "Yes."

 

"Don't tell me you're crying because you didn't treat me with sushi," The older male teased.

 

"Not really," Seungkwan shrugged. "I didn't waste any money which is a good thing."

 

"Why does the shorter one hold the umbrella?" Vernon took the umbrella handle, which touches Seungkwan's hand. The freshman's heart skipped a beat. The older male turned to walk.

 

"Where are you going? The dorm is this way," Seungkwan pulled on the sophomore's sleeve.

 

"I thought you need vitamins." 

 

"Oh right, pharmacy."

 

"Come on!"

 

The two of them walked close to each other. The umbrella was meant for one person so Vernon and Seungkwan had to stay pretty close. Even with their close proximity, Seungkwan's left shoulder still got a little wet from the rain. The ground is a little slippery from the water. It also doesn't help that Seungkwan was nervous, which cause him to slip.

 

Out of instinct, Seungkwan grabbed the closest thing to him to prevent himself from hitting the floor. The closest thing to him is Vernon. 


 

You guys don't know how much I fanboy whenever I watch this last scene. it's like a turning point in the story. Tell me what you like or dislike in the comment below. 

 

FIGHTING!!!