.5.

For Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

Another couple of weeks passed and Nari was still staying with the boys. She woke up one Saturday morning to some of them discussing something together in the living room.

"Oh, just the girl we wanted to see," Joonmyun smiled.

Nari walked over to them and sat down on one of the armchairs, yawning and stretching a bit. "What did you wanna talk about?" she asked.

"Well, it's been a bit over two weeks that you've been staying with us," Minseok began, "And we were wondering if you wanted to just.. move in with us? We'll get your stuff from the house somehow and bring it here."

"Won't it be too dangerous for you guys? I mean, though Yeonhee was a lot crazier, Hyunseok isn't exactly the most fond of vampires.." Nari mumbled.

"It's alright, Jongin and Sehun have been scouting the area about your house and checking when he is or isn't in the house and they'll take you over and you can pack everything of yours."

Nari was a bit apprehensive about the plan, but she supposed that she would much rather stay with the guys than with a man who wasn't even around much.

 

 

 

They carried out the plan the following Saturday, making sure to have boxes ready for her. When they arrived though, it seemed really quiet in the house. Jongin went about the house, checking everywhere and came back with just a note. "It's addressed to you, Nari."

Nari opened the folded piece of paper and began reading it. It was obviously from Hyunseok.

Dear Nari
I know you'll never quite forgive Yeonhee or myself for the lies we've told you.
I understand that a lot more than Yeonhee ever would. Honestly, that woman wasn't even my wife.
I've actually already left this town by the time that you find this. I...
did think of you like a daughter and wish that things could've turned out differently. So, instead of doing what I was supposed to do,
I'm letting you pack your things as well and go. I know that whoever you're with now will take care of you a lot better than we did.
I don't want to take away the biggest happiness that you've felt in such a long time.
For your sake and your friends' sake, I hope we never meet again in either of our lifetimes.
So long, Nari
- Hyunseok

Nari took a deep breath and smiled, scrunching the piece of paper and shoving it into her bag. Jongin and Sehun wordlessly began packing away her not so personal belongings whilst Nari went ahead and packed her undergarments and personal things. Once that was done, they were on their way back, the boys carrying all the boxes and Nari, just her bag.

It was such a relief, not having to go back to that place again. It held far too many unwanted memories, even if there weren't many to begin with.

 

 

 

It was pretty early in the afternoon, Nari had just finished eating her lunch when Joonmyun popped into the kitchen, lending a hand to clean up a bit. "You seem to be in a better mood after coming back from the house," he commented.

"Yeah... I feel like I'm less burdened," she agreed and grinned. She looked over at him, "Oppa, I'm curious about everyone, but, since you're here... What happened that you were turned into a vampire?" she asked curiously.

Joonmyun hummed and furrowed his brows slightly, finishing up with his cleaning and leading the two of them to the living room to sit down. "Well, it was... a very long time ago. Over four and a half centuries ago it was..." They got a bit comfortable in their seats and Nari watched the older with a curious gaze. "I was a scholar back then and it was right about the middle of the Joseon period..."

 

There were whispers and people rushing about, servants, scholars, noblemen - everyone. It seemed that many, if not everyone, was rushing about, trying to do something, find someone, and some looked as though they were about to lose their last wits.

"Scholar Kim!"

Joonmyun turned to where he had heard his name and rushed over as he avoided bumping into any of the other people rushing about through the open-air corridors. "What is it? What is going on?" he asked.

"Leave we must, else we'll be surely slain," the older man stated frantically. "You must come with me and the others. We're leaving for the west come the morrow morning."

Joonmyun thought this over a few times, knowing that there had been word spreading about an incoming invasion which could potentially leave them all either in the hands of the enemy or being slain by those hands. "Alright, where shall I meet thee?"

 

So, just before the sun rose the next morning, Joonmyun had gathered with a few of his fellow scholars and a couple of servants who had been so very willing to try and protect them if such occasion arose.

They were to leave by foot and head west to where there were horses awaiting them to travel further.

However, that was not to be.

They left the grounds of the place they had called home up until just that morning, headed west perhaps a couple of kilometres, before suddenly there were screams heard. They did their best to hide, to avoid running into the oncoming swarm of foreign soldiers. If they had been soldiers themselves, perhaps they would have made it, but they were scholars, men of intelligence and knowledge, not of strength and weapons.

Joonmyun ran and watched as his friends, their servants, other innocent lives were taken as he ran from the enemies. He was met with a dead end, a silly little alley way amongst the maze-like buildings. That was where he was to meet his end. Perhaps if they had stayed in their home, the library, they would have lived just a couple hours longer. Perhaps then, Joonmyun wouldn't have met such a painful end with a sword...

Once he had supposedly been slain, Joonmyun managed to wait out the sound of the soldiers leaving, managed to somehow move himself out of the alley way and out onto the main street which eventually led to the beginning of the forest. If he were to leave this world, then he would rather do it in peace.

He took a couple of gasps of air as he rested up against a large tree, trying to prolong his last moments to be able to enjoy the nature around him which would surely be tarnished with the war that would soon be waged.

Shutting his eyes, he tried to get himself to relax, but he suddenly heard the crunching of dried leaves beneath a pair of feet. He didn't know how long it had been since he had shut his eyes, but it was later in the day.

"Look who we have here," a rather familiar voice spoke.

Joonmyun opened his eyes and saw a pair of feet in front of him. "P-pardon?"

He heard a chuckle and then the person crouched down to be kneeling in front of him. Ah, it was Schol

Please log in to read the full chapter