Epilogue

The Witness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Epilogue - Identity



 





 

Three years later,

 

Sejeong successfully lead the police team. Sometimes, she went to the prison to visit her.

 

“Did you stop going to this scientific conference which are too intelligent for you ?” the prisoner joked. Sejeong glared at her “shut up.”

 

“Anyway, why are you here ? Again ?”

 

“Eunwoo… I really don't understand why you take all responsibility. Jieqiong had her fault too!”

 

“We already talked about this. I chose to do it. Just one year left, I will get out. Jail is not as bad after all.”

 

“Did she even come to see you for once ?”



 

~~


 

The Homicide service became very quiet since this accident. Jieqiong didn't forgive her workmate Jun. The latter was always trying to make up with her but Jieqiong didn't even bat an eye.

 

Jieqiong had changed and became less talkative. She barely got out and just do her job before back home.

 

Usually, Sejeong always came to see her at her office.

 

“I heard you visit her yesterday. How was it ?” the officer sat on the sofa and took a drink.

 

“It was fine…” she answered, still reading her stuff. Sejeong approached her and took the paper away. “Yah, give me back.” Sejeong didn't listen and took a glance on it. Then, she got mad at her again.

 

“Yah!!! I told you to stop searching her!!!! You are losing this precious time” Sejeong yelled at her. “Just live your life and stop being obsessed by her!”

 

The Chinese hit her arm hardly and took back her precious papers. “Aish… I told you I’m not obsessed…”

 

“Seriously?! Tracking every people who named Nayoung. Is for sure, not being obsessed. Really Jieqiong… stop.”

 

“I won't. She had destroyed my life, she's still alive and she shouldn't…”

 

“One mistake won't kill you. Just let her in peace. Anyway, since when did she destroy you ?”

 

“Right now.”

 

“Yeah… right now… you must be very crazy. She's declared missing for two years. Recently, we have a corpse who look like to hers so…” Sejeong sat on her desk and closed the computer. “I'm going to check it.”

 

“May I come with you ?” Sejeong just hummed and she drove her to the laboratory.


 

~~

 

“I'm sorry. It's not the girl you search.” the doctor announced. Sejeong thanks her and they got out.

 

She bought a can for Jieqiong who was sitting on the chair.

 

“I know you are quite depressed. So I’m taking you with me to Jeju island.”

 

“Jeju ? I wondered why every years you go there…” Jieqiong whispered.

 

“Go prepare your stuff. Our flight is tonight.”


 

~~


 

This night in Seoul’s jail,

 

Eunwoo got inside her room. She had any roommates to talk with. She didn't sleep yet, she sat up and got something from a drawer. She often read it before sleeping.

 

Dear Eunwoo, thanks you for telling me the truth. I should have listened you but my heart tell me otherwise.

 

She fold the paper before reading further. “Im Nayoung… don't take your revenge…”


 

~~

 

The two officers finally arrived at Jeju island. A cab drove them towards a house. The latter was a huge place. One floor with even a playground under the first floor.

 

“Are you the owner ?!”

 

“Yeah.” Sejeong brought their luggage inside the living room. “I know I will often come here so…”

 

“Isn't expensive, is it ? Where do you find money ?”

 

“My salary is enough!!” Sejeong looked offended. Jieqiong showed her first smile.

 

They peacefully ended up they journey and went to their room. Jieqiong finally let herself go.

 

The next morning, her mood dropped down when she saw a call from him. Sejeong told her to pick up.

 

“Kyulkyung, please… I'm begging you for almost two years… let’s just be friend like before… just friends and I won't pursue you anymore I promise.”

 

“Let's talk later, I’m busy now.” she hang up. Sejeong groaned in frustration.

 

“Yah… make up with him this night okay ?!” Sejeong told her but Jieqiong just nodded slightly.

 

Sejeong dragged her friend to the shopping area. Sejeong had bought nothing except a bouquet. “Do you buy something?” Jieqiong just shook her head. Sejeong got an idea.

 

They bought their food in convenience store and ate in the beach. The sky was already dark, few stars could be seen.

 

“Are we allowed to eat ?”

 

“Yeah, I often do that. We just have to threw the dishes correctly.”

 

Jieqiong shrugged it off and followed her friend.

 

Two hours later, they finished their picnic dinner.

 

“Jieqiong, you can go back to the house first. I have to go see her before it's close.” Sejeong gave her a spare key. “Back home safely okay? Don't forget to call Jun.”

 

She was running now towards the road. Jun… Jieqiong was about to grab her phone but she forgot that she didn't take it. She thought this could be wait. The girl was still wandering in the beach when something came up. Aish… Sejeong even didn't tell me how to back home…

 

Her eyes caught a phone box near to her. She ran inside a input her friend number.

 

“Who's ?”

 

“It's Jieqiong. I have forgotten my phone. You didn't tell me how to back home.”

 

“Ah~ do you see the lighthouse ? You can see it from the beach.” Jieqiong looked around and found it. “Walk towards it and take the first road. It's a one way street. Number 22.”

 

Jieqiong thanked her and hang up. She was about to push the glazed door but she removed her hands. The girl input another number. She waited three seconds for an answer.

 

“It's me.”

 

“洁琼?It's a prank ?” Jun spoke in Chinese to verify her identity.

 

“Yah! It's Jieqiong! If you don't trust me, I'll hang up”

 

“Okay okay it's really you. Anyway, you finally forgive me ?”

 

“Yeah… I forgive you…” she could hear a shout of victory from him. She chuckled, suddenly someone outside knocked the door. She wasn't listening her friend anymore and staring at the stranger. She almost dropped the phone when the stranger opened the glazed door and entered inside.

 

“Can't you wait your turn ?!” Jieqiong dropped the phone when she glanced at the face. The stranger removed her hood and face her. The foreign caught the phone and hang up. Jieqiong’s face fell into sad one. Her back hit the glazed wall.

 

“It's been a while, Kyulkyung.” the stranger greeted her.

 

No… this can't be…

 

The Chinese was shaking and tears came out. She mumbled some incoherent words.



 

“Nayoung…” Kyulkyung put her hand on and closed her eyes. She had waited for this moment but she wasn't prepared yet. Nayoung just glared at her, like a stone. Jieqiong was still crying. Her heart hurt her, I should be happy… she's alive… I could get my revenge… but… it will be a waste of time… isn't it ? Searching someone and at the end making her gone forever…

 

Kyulkyung came back to her sense and dried her tears. She cleared before speaking. “What a-are…  y-you doing h-h-here… ?”

 

Nayoung laughed at her and put her hand on the wall next to her right ear. “I saw you earlier, chuckling… at first I didn't planned to meet you today… but I want to see your cute face break into tears. Like now.”

 

The Chinese didn't reply and avoided her gaze. Move Jieqiong!!! Do something!!! Don't stay like a stone!!! It's not your role!!!

 

“It's for three years… we didn't meet and … it the first thing you tell me … ?”

 

“Did I miss you ?” Jieqiong was taken aback by her question. She didn't know what to answer.



 

“No… of course not… I enjoy my life since your departure.” she lied to her and the latter knew it. She caressed her cheeks with her thumb lightly.

 

“Really ? Did you live well without me ?” she couldn't stare at her eyes yet.

 

“Yeah… I notice that your arms are recovered.” Jieqiong dare to hold the left arm. Suddenly, the older cupped her cheeks to make an eyes contact.

 

“Why don't you arrest me ? I thought you want to take a revenge… don't you ?” Nayoung pressed her body against hers. The latter was swallowing hard and became weak. Nayoung pressed her forehead together. “I do. Missing you.”

 

Nayoung leaned on her lips gently. The younger didn't answer at all. She couldn't admit she miss this lips. Nayoung kept doing the job alone. One of her hand went off from her cheek to the elbow.

 

“S-s-stop… I can't b-” Jieqiong tried to push her away but Nayoung kept the pace. Until the Chinese was really running out of air, and she pinched her waist. Nayoung pulled away and also got a hard slap on her face from her.

 

“How dare you kiss me like that ?!” she complained at her. The latter stepped back and wore her hood again.

 

“I'm sorry.” she bowed to her and got out. Leaving the girl dumbfounded and dropped .

 

Kyulkyung immediately followed her and blocked her way. “Im Nayoung… I have to arrest you. Get your hand.”

 

Unexpectedly, she obeyed to her. She showed out her both hand under face. The officer was lost for a while and finally grabbed one of the hand. She handcuffed her left hand with her own right hand.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter