Melody 36

SILENT MELODY [Jikook]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook

I close the door to Jimin’s car and follow Namjoon up the stairs toward the apartment. Neither of us said a word to each other on the drive home from the hospital. The rigidness in his jaw said all he needed to say, which was, more or less, Don’t speak to me. I spent the drive with my focus out the window and my questions lodged in my throat.

We walk into the apartment, and he tosses his keys onto the bar as I shut the door behind me. He doesn’t even turn around to look at me as he stalks off toward his bedroom.

“Good night,” I say. I might have said it with a little bit of sarcastic bite, but at least I’m not screaming, “Screw you, Namjoon!” which is kind of what I feel like saying.

He pauses, then turns around to face me. I watch him nervously, because whatever he’s aobut to say to me isn’t “good night”. His eyes narrow as he tilts his head, shaking it slowly. “Can I ask you a question?” he finally says, eyeing me with curiosity.

“As long as you promise never again to begin a question by asking whether or not you can propose a question.”

I want to laugh at my use of Jimin’s comment, but Namjoon doesn’t even crack a smile. It only makes things much more awkward. I shift on my feet. “What’s your question, Namjoon?” I say with a sigh.

He folds his arms over his chest and walks toward me. I swallow my nervousness as he leans forward to speak to me, barely a foot away. “Do you just need someone to you?”

Breathe in, breathe out.

Expand, contract.

Beat beat, pause. Beat beat, pause.

“What?” I say, dumbfounded. I’m positive I didn’t hear him right.

He lowers his head a few inches until he’s at eye level with me. “Do you just need someone to you?” He says, with more precise enunciation this time. “Because if that’s all it is, I’ll bend you over the couch right now and you so hard you’ll never think about Jimin again.” He continues to stare at me, cold and heartless.

Think before you react, Jungkook.

For several seconds, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief. Why would he say that? Why would he say something so disrespectful to me? This isn’t Namjoon. I don’t know who this is standing in front of me, but it definitely isn’t Namjoon.

Before I allow myself time to think, I react. I pull my arm back, then make four punches my lifetime average as my fist meets his cheek.

.

That hurt.

I look up at him, and his hand is covering his cheek. His eyes are wide, and he’s looking at me with more surprise than pain. He takes a step back, and I keep my eyes focused hard on his.

I grab my fist and pull it up to my chest, pissed that I’m going to have another hurt hand. I wait before going to the kitchen to get ice for it, though. I might need to hit him again. I’m confused by his obvious anger toward me for the past twenty-four hours. my mind rushes through anything i could have said or done to him that would make him feel this much hatred toward me.

He sighs and tilts his head back, pulling his hands though his hair. He gives no explanation for his hateful words, and I try to understand them, but I can’t. I’ve done nothing to him to warrant something that harsh.

Maybe that’s his problem, though. Perhaps the fact that I’ve done nothing to him. Or with him is what’s pissing him off like this.

“Is this jealousy?” I ask. “Is that what’s making you this evil, wretched excuse for a human being? Because I never slept with you?”

He takes a step forward, and I immediately back up until I fall down onto the couch. He bends down, bringing himself to my eye level.

“I don’t want to screw you, Jungkook. And I am definitely not jealous.” He pushes himself away from the couch. Away from me.

He’s scaring the living out of me, and I want to pack my suitcase and leave tonight and never, ever see any of these people again.

I begin crying into my hands. I hear him sigh heavily, and he drops down onto the couch beside me. I pull my feet up and turn my knees away from him, curling into the far corner of the couch. We sit like this for several minutes, and I want to stand up and run to my room, but I don’t. I feel as if I’d have to ask permission, because I don’t even know if I have a room here anymore.

“I’m sorry,” he finally says, breaking the silence with something other than my crying. “God, I’m sorry. I just…I’m trying to understand what the hell you’re doing.”

I wipe my face with my shirt and glance at him. His face is a jumbled mixture of sadness and sorrow, and I don’t understand anything he’s feeling.

“What is your problem with me, Namjoon? I’ve never been anything but nice to you. I’ve even been nice to your of a girlfriend, and believe me, that takes effort.”

He nods in agreement. “I know,” he says, exasperated. “I know, I know, I know. You are a nice person.”  He laces his fingers together and stretches his arms out, then brings them back down with a heavy sigh. “And I know you have good intentions. You have a good heart. And a pretty good right swing,” he says, grinning slyly. “I guess that’s why I’m so mad, though. I know you have a good heart, so why in the hell haven’t you moved out yet?” His words hurt me more now than the vulgar ones he spit at me five minutes ago.

“If you and Jimin wanted me gone this bad, why did you both wait until this weekend to tell me?”

My question seems to catch Namjoon off-guard, because his eyes cut to mine briefly before he looks away again. He doesn’t answer that question, though. Instead, he begins to prepare one of his own. “Has Jimin ever told you the story of how he met Yoongi?” He asks.

I shake my head, completely confused by the direction this conversation has taken.

“I was seventeen, and Jimin had just turned eighteen,” he says. He leans back against the couch and stares down at his hands.

I recall Jimin saying he began dating Yoongi when he was nineteen, but I keep silent and let him continue.

“We had been dating for about six weeks, and…”

Scratch that thought. Can no longer keep silent. “We?” I ask hesitantly. “As in you and Jimin?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter