Thunderstorms

Coffee Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Kim Yongsun. Is that you?" a familiar voice called out. 

Yongsun and Byuli put their drinks down and turned around.

Byuli let out a frustrated sigh, "listen, buddy she's not..." she turned to look at Yongsun, still staring at the guy

"haha it is you! Kim Yongsun, it's been a while," he walked towards them 

"Nam YoonDo, what are you doing here?" Yongsun's voice sounded unnatural.

The guy walked closer, "I live here now. What about you? I heard you're studying in Seoul"

Yongsun got up and gave him a side hug, "just on a trip with a friend" 

Byuli looked from Yongsun to YoonDo, "ah, so this must be her boyfriend from high school" she thought

Byuli stood up, "Hi there, my name is Moon Byuli. Yongsun has told me a lot about you" she bowed her head 

YoonDo bowed as well, "I hope she only told you good things" 

Byuli smiled, "of course, I don't think Yongsun could talk bad about anyone" 

YoonDo laughed, "That's true" 

Yongsun observed the situation. Her ex-boyfriend was getting along with the person she liked. She wasn't sure if this was normal, so she just smiled awkwardly. 

Byuli stared at her phone, "excuse me, but do you know where this coffee shop is?" she showed him a picture of her phone.

He peered closer, "Ah, that coffee shop. I think they reolcated, I'm just not sure where though" 

Byuli pouted, "ah really?" 

Yongsun looked away, "she's so cute"

"try the night market, I heard there are a couple small independent coffee stalls there" YoonDo suggested 

Yongsun touched Byuli's arm," let's check it out. I owe you a meal anyway remember?" 

At the sound of a meal, Byuli's face brightened up, "ok!" she turned to YoonDo, "Would you like to have dinner with us?"

He looked at Yongsun, wary of her, "would that be alright? I dont want to impose"

She smiled, "of course, it's been a while since we've seen each other" 

He breathed a sigh of relief. He was worried that Yongsun would feel uncomfortable around him, given their past together. "Let's go!" 

 

X

 

Yongsun, YoonDo, and Byuli made their way to different stalls, "so what is the go to dish to try when you're in Busan?" Yongsun asked YoonDo

He looked around before finally settling on a small restaurant, "the pork soup from 'Busan's Best'. Trust me, It'll blow your mind" 

They walked into the restaurant, "Welcome," a middle-aged woman chorused from behind the counter. 

They grabbed and table and sat down looing at the menu. "So, I'd recommend the pork soup and the milmyeon here," YoonDo suggested not taking his eyes off the menu. 

Byuli and Yongsun nodded, "sounds delicious" 

Yongsun stood up and went to order at the counter.

YoonDo looked at Byuli, "So how do you know Yongsun?"

Byuli poured 3 cups of tea, "she's my sunbae at school. I first met her at the coffee shop I work at" she handed him a cup 

He put the cup to his lips, "really? but she doesn't like coffee" 

Byuli laughed, "I know, that's why I make her drinks a little sweeter than most." she took a sip out of her cup, "it's interesting, isn't it? her tastes are completely different from her image" 

YoonDo smiled, "you two seem close. I'm glad." he glanced over at her, "to be honest, I was worried about her when we broke up" 

Byuli stared at him, "then why did you break up?" 

He sighed, "mostly because we were going to different schools," he paused, "but I don't think she was truly happy with me."

They watched Yongsun come back to the table, "what are you guys talking about? haha it looked too serious over here" 

she sat down next to Byuli, "we were talking about you. Like how you were when you were younger"

Yongsun panicked, "YoonDo-ah, what did you say? you didn't say anything weird right?!" she turned to Byuli, "whatever he said isn't true I swear!"

Byuli and YoonDo exchanged glances and laughed. Byuli reached over and pinched her cheeks, "it's really fun teasing you y'know" 

 Their server came by and gave them their food, "enjoy your meal~" 

They began eating their food, taking in the flavor of Busan.

"Waaa! You're right, the Pork bone soup is amazing," Yongsun exclaimed 

They enjoyed their meal together laughing and talking.

"Do you guys want hotteok? The owner said she's making a fresh batch right now" Yongsun asked getting up from her seat. 

"Sure!" YoonDo and Byuli chimed. They watched as Yongsun ordered at the counter, making conversation with the owner.

"Yongsun's changed a lot" he mentioned 

Byuli looked up at him, "really? what was she like in high school?"

YoonDo thought for a minute, "she was very shy and quiet"

Byuli laughed, "she still is. She's perceived as cold because she's shy at our school" 

YoonDo shook his head, "No, it's different now. Before, she couldn't even order food by herself" he pointed to her, "now look at her" 

He turned his gaze back to Byuli, "and she seems happy. I mean like genuinely happy, I can't remember the last time I saw her smile like that" 

Byuli stared at her. She never realized how different Yongsun used to be.

YoonDo suddenly stood up, taking cash out of his wallet, "I'm gonna head out, I promised my girlfriend I wouldn't be home late" 

Byuli looked up at him, "You're not going to say goodbye to Yongsun? It's been a while since you've seen each other" 

He shook his head, "it's more than enough for me to see how well she's been doing" 

He put the money on the table, "are you and Yongsun gonna be alright without me?"

Byuli smiled, "I think we'll be alright." she watched him walk towards the door.

He stopped and turned around, "it was really nice meeting you Moon Byuli, please take care of Yongsun" he smiled and exited the restaurant.

Byuli smiled and nodded her head, "what a really nice guy"

Yongsun skipped back to the table with a box of hotteok, "Byul-ah, wanna walk around while we eat these? where did YoonDo go?"

Byuli stood up pulling out her wallet, "he said he had to go, but he said to stay in touch. Let's go? Let me just pay first" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter