10.

Coffee Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun smoothed her dress as she looked in the mirror, “all ready,” she thought to herself.

She put on her graduation robe. She couldn't believe she finally finished University. She glanced at her watch, “shoot, I’m gonna be late”

“I’ll visit Byuli after the ceremony,” she reminded herself. She grabbed the small bag of coffee beans that YoonDo mailed her from Busan.

 

X

 

Yongsun listened intently as the dean of the school completed his speech.

“Congratulations to the class of 2017! We look forward to the works of great leaders”

The graduating students cheered as they threw their caps in the air in excitement.

After the ceremony, Yongsun weaved through the crowd and found her parents.

“Yongsun-ah! Congratulations!” her mom hugged her tight.

“We’re so proud of you honey,” her dad added, kissing her on the forehead.

“Thank you,” Yongsun answered taking off her graduation cap.

Her mom took her robe and cap, “You even finished with Honors honey, you should be proud”

Yongsun nodded, “I just wish Byuli was here to see me receive my diploma”

Her mom her cheek, “I know honey”

“Is it ok if I leave now? I kind of want to see Byuli today before it gets too late,” Yongsun asked, itching to go.

Her dad chuckled, “of course, but drive safe”

“I WILL!” Yongsun yelled out already running to the exit

 

X

 

Yongsun walked onto the path carefully until she found Byuli.

“Hey Byuli, guess what? I graduated with Honors today keke. Are you proud of me?” She rummaged in her bag, “I know how much you like the coffee beans from that coffee shop in Busan we went to, so I had Yoondo mail it to me”

She placed the bag of coffee in front Byuli’s headstone and dusted the loose leaves from the top of the headstone.

She placed flowers next to the bag of coffee beans, “funny, isn’t it? I’m supposed to receive flowers from you today, not the other way around Byuli”

She wiped a tear that fell on her cheek, “urgh I promised myself I wouldn't cry today” She chuckled.

1 year and 4 months. It’s been that long since Byuli was taken away from Yongsun. She remembered waking up to the phone call from Wheein all too vividly. She recalled feeling like her entire world was turned upside down.

For the first couple months, Yongsun couldn't come to terms with it. Sometimes she'd smell someone who used the same shampoo or laundry detergent that Byuli used and she'd all of a sudden be nothing but tears on the floor. She sent Byuli Good Morning and Good night texts until her phone service was cut off.

Whenever she left for class, she stopped in front of her door, staring at Byuli’s, hoping she’d open it with a smile on her face, welcoming her inside.

Death was so final. It didn't give you or the people around you warning or closure.

She pulled out a piece of paper. It was the last note Byuli wrote to her. She smoothed out the edges as she traced her name. The paper was wrinkled and the ink was starting to fade so it made it hard to read.

Good morning boo boo <3 I’m sorry I couldn't be there when you woke up but I’ll see you after practice ^^ we could grab lunch after? I love you!!

-Byuli

P.s. you’re sleeping face is the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen in my life. Did I mention that I love you? keke

She tucked the paper carefully back into her bag. She memorized the note word for word, despite the condition of it.

The pictures and memories she had with Byuli would stay with her forever, but she missed the sound of her voice and her laugh. She would give anything just to hear it again.

Looking back at that day made more tears fall from her eyes, “Dummy…you never came back.” Her hands started to shake, “I miss you Byuli,” she whispered

“Yongsun-ah?”

She quickly wiped the rest of her tears, fanning her face. Turning around as the footsteps approached.

Yeseul ran up to her and hugged her, “Where did you go after the ceremony? How could you not congratulate your fellow graduates?”

Minhyuk, Wheein, and Hyejin walked up from behind Yeseul.

Yongsun laughed, returning the hug, “Sorry, I wanted to see Byuli before it got dark”

Wheein giggled as she and Hyejin gave Yongsun a hug, “we know, we figured you’d be here when we couldn't find you”

Minhyuk waited for his turn to give her a hug, “Congratulations Yongsun-ah,” He let her go, “Byuli would’ve been proud”

Yongsun exhaled, “she would’ve been proud of all of us”

 

X

 

The group of friends decided to have lunch at the coffee shop. They sat down as Minhyuk ordered for them.

“I can't believe we won't be going to school with you guys anymore,” Wheein pouted

“yeah it won't be the same not seeing you at our practices or games,” Hyejin admitted

“you guys have a whole cheering section, I doubt you guys will notice we’re gone,” Yeseul replied

“it’s not the same unnie,” Wheein rolled her eyes

Minhyuk set down the mugs on the table, before settling beside Yeseul. “Well, we’ll come watch your games sometimes. Just let us know. Well, Yeseul and I that is” He looked over at Yongsun

“that's right! I can't believe you’re leaving to study in Berlin!” Wheein exclaimed

Yongsun grinned slightly, “I know, I didn't think I’d get the position”

“It’s a great opportunity unnie,” Hyejin added, “but I remember you saying you weren’t really interested in medicine”

She nodded, “I wasn't, but after Byuli told me about her illness, it made me determined to help find a cure for VHL”

Minhyuk reached for her hand, “Yongsun-ah, I think Byuli would be delighted that you’re doing big things with your life. But I also feel she’d be disappointed that you’re going into something you’re not truly passionate about”

Yongsun shook her head, “I actually am passionate about it. Byuli was special to me and because of this illness, he was taken away from us. Every person who has this sickness is probably a ‘Byuli’ to someone else,” she paused, ‘I don't want anyone to experience what I went through.” She looked down at her hands, “what we all went through”

Wheein, Hyejin and Yeseul put their hands on top of Minhyuk and Yongsun’s, “I think Byuli unnie wouldn't want you to be stay in this state anymore”

“I know, I wont. I just miss her a lot,” Yongsun replie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter