Olive Juice

Coffee Break
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Byuli? What’s wrong?” Yongsun asked in a worried voice

Byuli took a deep breath, “Yongsun-ah, there’s something I need to tell you”

Yongsun turned her head towards her, “what is it?” She watched as Byuli struggled to find the words to say.

Byuli waited until she calmed down, “in my last year of high school, I was diagnosed with an illness called Von Hippel-Lindau Disease. My symptoms got so bad that I had to defer my first year of University.”

Yongsun stayed silent, shocked at what Byuli just told her.

Byuli took her hands and gave them a squeeze, “I’m sorry, I know I should’ve told you this when we first started dating”

Yongsun couldn't believe what she was hearing, “why didn't you tell me sooner?”

“I was scared,” Byuli answered

“scared of what Byuli?” she challenged

“You wouldn't understand,” Byuli avoided

“then help my understand Byuli!” Yongsun argued

Byuli stared at the ground, unable to say anything.

Yongsun could feel herself getting irritated. She let out a frustrated sigh, “let’s ignore the fact that we’re dating for a second. I thought even just as friend you’d tell me something this important”

“Do you have any idea how difficult it is to tell something like this? It’s not exactly easy to bring up” Byuli shot back, “You have no idea what I’m going through!”

The sound of crickets and passing cars filled up the intense silence between them.

“When I said yes to being your girlfriend, I didn't just want the good memories with you. I want to be someone you could rely on and confide in. I thought you felt the same way,” Yongsun stood up and dusted her pants.

“Yongsun, wait. where are you going?” Byuli asked

“I’m gonna go for a walk,” Yongsun answered

“I’ll come with you,” Byuli was about to get up when Yongsun stopped her.

“I was hoping to go by myself,” She uttered, “I just need to clear my head.”

Byuli sank back down, “yeah sure, of course.”

Yongsun bent down and kissed her on the forehead, “I’ll call you when I get home”

Byuli stayed sitting down, watching Yongsun’s back as she walked away. She held her knees close to her chest and rested her head. She finally told Yongsun, but why did she feel worse?

 

X

 

 

Yongsun wiped her tears on her sleeve as she wandered the streets. It felt like the universe was working against her. Just as she and Byuli finally found their way to each other.

Yongsun walked around Seoul for a while and ended up in front of the Yeseul’s apartment building.

“I really hope she’s still awake,” she patted her pockets for her phone, “where’s my phone?”

She stopped when she remembered she put it in Byuli’s duffle bag, “urgh why?” she yelled. A couple people looked in her direction.

“Yongsun?”

She turned around and saw Minhyuk coming out of the Yeseul’s building.

“Lee Minhyuk? What are you doing here?” She asked looking up at Yeseul’s apartment building

“I walked Yeseul home after we ate,” he studied her face. “Have you been crying?”

Yongsun turned her face away, “no, that’s ridiculous.” Her hands instinctively went up to cover her face.

Minhyuk shrugged his shoulders and pointed to a convenience store across the street, “we can talk about whatever’s bothering you if you want”

He stared at her as she gave him a bewildered look.

“What’s wrong with him? Why is he being so nice to me?” she thought but followed him inside the convenience store.

Yongsun grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and put it on the counter. Walking around made her dehydrated.

Minhyuk walked up behind her and put a 4 pack of beer on the counter. He pulled out money from his wallet, “put away your wallet, I’ll pay for it”

The cashier gave him the change and he picked up the pack, “thank you,” he turned to Yongsun, “let’s talk outside”

Yongsun picked up her water bottle and followed him out. She found him outside, sitting at a table and opening a can of beer.

She sat beside him and opened her water bottle.

“So, Byuli finally told you,” He brought up, sliding the can over to Yongsun

“Wait, you know about Byuli’s illness?” Yongsun probed

“of course. She told Wheein, Hyejin, and I as soon as she found out,” he answered, grabbing another can from the bag.

Yongsun clenched her teeth,” and none of you thought to tell me?”

He opened the can and took a sip, “It would’ve been better to hear it from Byuli.” He put down the can and continued, “Byuli is very careful about who she tells. Other than professors and school administration, you’re the first one she’s told”

Yongsun gripped the can, “why? I don't understand.”

He took another swig from the can, “Byuli didn't want people treating her differently. She’s the kind of person who will try their best to help anyone in need, but will suffer the burden of her own problems by herself”

Yongsun thought back to the conversation they had in the maze. She couldn't help but feel a little happy that Byuli opened up a little to her back then. She shook her head. “ but that still doesn't mean she should have kept it from me this entire time”

He nodded, “you’re right. She was in the wrong, you’re better off without her”

Yongsun furrowed her eyebrows, “what?”

“Yeah, how could she not tell you something this important, I mean who knows what else she’s keeping from you right? Breaking up is the right thing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter