Jungkook

Not Today

Jungkook stared at the untouched plate of food on the floor, deliberating. It was a feast - rice, kimchi, chicken, and some vegetables - more than Jungkook has had to eat in a long time. He didn't even remember what the taste of chicken was like anymore. The smell made his mouth water, and it looked unspoiled. But eating felt like giving in, and Jungkook would not do that. His stomach gurgled hungrily, the traitor. In the end, he rolled over onto the other side and faced the wall. He could still smell the delicious food, but at least he didn't have to look at it.

As he lay there, on the thin cot, his mind wandered back to the conversation with the Director, Lee Eun. 

****

"I do hope you're willing to talk, Mr. Jeon. It will make things so much easier for everyone." 

He had an intimidating tone, humourless. It sent shivers down Jungkook's spine, but no, he wasn't willing to talk. He slumped back in his chair casually, as if he wasn't sitting face-to-face with the leader of NO. He tried his hardest to look bored, and if Lee Eun was bothered by it, he hid it well. He scrutinized Jungkook for a moment before speaking again. 

"Where are your friends, this so-called rebellion, BTS?" 

Silence. 

"What about the leader? Who is he? Kim Seok-Jin? Jung Hoseok? Min Yoongi?"

Jungkook looked down. So they didn't know who started BTS. Not that it didn't matter much. NO knew about BTS, and they were all in danger, but at least there was one thing NO couldn't figure out. That and Lee Eun only mentioned the ones who lived in the city. Namjoon, Jimin, and Taehyung lived off the grid, so tracking them down would be a lot harder to accomplish. Which meant the safe house would still be safe. He hoped Jin, Hoseok, and Suga were alright. 

Lee Eun sighed and leaned forward. Jungkook felt the stare like daggers through him, so he lifted his eyes. "You're going to have to start answering me. If you don't want to cooperate, I have more unpleasant ways of making you talk. The choice is up to you." 

"I have nothing to say," Jungkook said, pleased that his voice wasn't trembling. "Do your worst." 

"If that's what you want." Lee Eun stood and knocked sharply on the door. Two Shadows stepped in, uncuffed Jungkook and pulled him up onto his feet. They each grabbed an arm and dragged him to the door. As they passed the Director, Lee Eun raised his hand to stop them. "Rest up Jungkook. Tomorrow you will need all your strength." The Director waved a hand in dismissal, and Jungkook was dragged off to a cell. 

****

It was a small cell, just bit enough to hold a small bathroom area, and a cot attached to the wall. The walls were, unsurprisingly, blindingly white. White. White. More white. They wanted to make people go insane with all this lack of colour. So far the lights stayed on, and Jungkook doubted they would ever be turned off. There were no windows, so he couldn't tell how long he'd been there for. Minutes, hours, maybe days? The only meal brought to him now sat on the floor by the door, and that gave no indication of time either. 

He had no idea what was going to happen with him. Lee Eun's warning suggested it wasn't going to be walk in the park, but no matter what, he wasn't going to break. 

~*~

Amazingly, he fell asleep. Too deeply to dream, but it had been nice to forget for a while. How long he slept for, he wasn't sure, but the next thing he knew the door was opening. He heard a disapproving tsk and the tray of food being slid out of the way. 

"What a waste of a perfectly good meal," a woman's sharp voice snapped. "Come on, get up." 

Jungkook stayed where he lay, hoping that it was enough to make them go away. He didn't want to know what happened next, he didn't want to acknowledge that it was real. But then hands wrapped around his arm and yanked him upright, the movement causing a wave of dizziness, which Jungkook swallowed down quickly. At least they didn't cuff him this time, though one kept a firm grip on his arm. 

Mi Na stood at the door, her hair now in a poker straight ponytail down her back, and wearing a new set of clothes. So it was a new day then. As he regarded the woman, he wondered briefly if anyone else worked in this building. Considering the only people he saw were Mi Na, Lee Eun, and the Shadows, he wouldn't be surprised if there was no one else around. 

Mi Na her heel and led them out into the hallway. Jungkook got a sense of deja vu as he was forced to follow. They walked until they came to the end of the hall. It looked like a deadend, but suddenly Mi Na rounded a corner to another corridor. The place was so white and so bright that it created an illusion, probably intentionally. To disorient a person who didn't know where they were going. It explained why Mi Na was around so much. That made Jungkook nervous. Escaping would be difficult, as would breaking in. His hyung's were going to have their work cut out for them. 

The corridor they were in now was smaller, with only a couple doors lining one side of the hall. As they walked down the hall, Jungkook realized something with unease. He hadn't heard anything, not another person, not a scream, nothing. Not even their footsteps could be heard. It all felt suffocating and muffled. Was that another scare tactic? If it was, Jungkookg found it was working. 

The room Mi Na led them to, this time, had a medical chair and some machines around it. A man stood near the chair, wearing a lab coat, and a rather expensive looking suit underneath. He held a syringe to a smal vial of a clear liquid.

Something snapped in Jungkook. He had never been very fond of doctors or hospitals, and this was like his nightmares come true. Despite his facade, his taunting, he struggled against the Shadow, who jerked him forward like he weighed nothing. 

"On the chair please," the doctor commanded. 

Jungkook pulled, dug in his feet, struggled, but it was all for nothing. The Shadows were strong, and they lifted Jungkook up easily and pinned him to the chair, while the doctor strapped his wrists and ankles to the chair. 

Mi Na dismissed the Shadows and stepped forward. She smoothed back Jungkook's hair, like a mother would a child. Jungkook flinched under the touch, bringing a smile to Mi Na's lips. "That's what we're looking for. You really should have cooperated with Director Lee. But, thanks to you, Doctor Park gets to have a little bit of fun. You'll talk soon enough Jungkook. You'll be begging for us to listen." 

"Never," Jungkook whispered. 

"Stubborn," Doctor Park remarked. He jabbed the needle into Jungkook's neck. "It'll be fun watching him break, piece by piece." 

The affect was instantaeous. It felt like fire unfurled under Jungkook's skin, blossoming out from his neck and through the rest of his body. His hands curled into fists so tight, he felt a distant pain from his nails piercing flesh. But it wasn't enough to distract him. He gritted his teeth, but then the pain rolled away. Not entirely, though. 

A face loomed over him. "My favourite concoction. I call it the Flame Not too fun is it? Makes you feel like you're boiling from the inside." 

"Go. To. Hell." The heat flared up again, and rolled through him. He cried out, and twisted his body, trying to curl up on himself. 

Doctor Park sighed and flashed another syringe. "I have the antidote right here. The Flame isn't permanent, but if you want it to end quickly, tell me what we need to know." 

".... You...." Jungkook wanted it to end, but he had to protect his hyungs. He had to protect BTS. He had to protect Jin. 

"Suit yourself." Doctor Park plopped the syringe down on a table just within Jungkook's line of sight.

Another dose of pain wracked through Jungkook. The antidote sat there, taunting him. A sob escaped, but Jungkook refused to let NO win. He was stronger than they believed. He closed his eyes, his body shuddering at the constant strain.

No more. No more. 

After what seemed like an eternity, the Flame ceased. Jungkook lay trembling and panting. His hair stuck to sweaty forehead, and his hands were slick with sweat and blood. His throat was raw from screaming, and he was exhausted, but his body still trembled. He drew in a raspy breath, and he was thirsty. No one offered him any water. Doctor Park crossed his arms and exchanged a look with Mi Na. She frowned, and left without a word. Jungkook's personal guards stepped in and picked him up. They half-dragged, half-carried him back to his cell, where they dumped him and closed the door. 

Jungkook rolled onto his back and realized that he was crying. Not from the pain, but from the loneliness. He wiped his tears away. "No crying." Things were only going to get worse, and if he cried now, it would be like admitting defeat. Jin will come for him. He will. It was that thought that helped steel Jungkook's resolve. He was not going to let Jin down. 

****

A/N: Another chapter! I know, I know, poor Jungkook! :( it hurts me just writing this, but I do hope you enjoyed this chapter! Let me know in the comments ^^