Two

Not Today

Posters hung on buildings, billboards, showing NO's symbol: a giant eye in a red circle. They were always watching. As if to enforce that idea, small patrols of NO's security, the Shadows, roamed the streets of Seoul. Jin hated the Shadows. Something about them seemed unnatural. Rumour was that the Shadows were actually experiments. BTS had yet to find any proof of this, but the Shadows' eyes glinted silver, and they moved in such a tight uniformity, Jin wouldn't have been surprised if it was true.

Jin drew up the collar of his jacket, and stuffed his hands into his pockets as he led Jungkook down the street. He never told the maknae where their meetings were going to be held. If he had his way, he would have left Jungkook at home, but he knew Jungkook would follow anyway. Why he was so determined to be a part of BTS, was beyond Jin, but he figured it was better to keep tabs on Jungkook then let him wander around and possibly get caught. Quickly he glanced over his shoulder, as if afraid Jungkook wasn't there. He was, paused a few feet behind his hyung, eyeing the window of a store they passed. Since the rise of NO, a lot of businesses closed their doors, by force and choice alike. That left a lot of buildings boarded up and abandoned. The few businesses that remained open jacked up their prices to cash in on the scarcity of products. As long as they continued to work quietly and without defying NO, NO turned a blind eye to the crooks.

Jin had a job, but it paid next to nothing. There were days where Jin had no more to eat than stale instant noodles. He refused to let Jungkook go hungry, and though it bothered the younger boy, he knew better than to argue.

“What are you looking at?” Jin asked, coming up to the window.

Jungkook shrugged and turned away quickly. He was nineteen, but still seemed so young. He brushed passed Jin and headed down the street, hands stuffed in his pockets. Jin glanced into the window and didn’t have to look twice to know that Jungkook had been looking a cake. It was chocolate, freshly made judging by the way the icing dripped slightly onto the plate holding it. Strawberries made a small design on the top of the cake. Strawberries. The bakery had to be well off if they were still able to make items like the cake. When was the last time Jin had seen strawberries? He remembered eating some outside with his older brother one day, back before NO took over. Simpler times, when fruit was readily available, and they didn’t have to worry when their next meal was.

Jin watched Jungkook’s back and frowned. Strawberries also happened to be his favourite fruit. But something black reflected in the window, and Jin glanced over his shoulder to see a group of Shadows across the street. They were standing in front of one of the rare businesses still open, a small woman huddled among them. Jungkook must have noticed as well, because he stopped in his tracks, his gaze locked on the scene. Those on the street froze as well, and it was then that Jin heard a sob escape the woman.

Jeh-bahl,” she pleaded. Please. “He didn’t mean to! We just haven’t had anything to eat and our business is suffering, don’t take him!”

It was then that Jin noticed a boy, only a couple years younger than Jungkook. He was being hauled into a black van. He struggled fiercely, but it was no use. The Shadows held fast, and tossed him with ease into the back of the van. As the doors slammed shut, the woman begged, and attempted to go after the van. One of the Shadows said something in reply, but it was low and muffled by the mask. The Shadow to his left reached out and touched the woman, who collapsed to the ground without another sound.

Jin clenched his fists, but it was Jungkook’s moving that tore his anger away from the scene. Jungkook rushed towards the group, anger clouding his features.  

“Get away from her!” he called out.

He grabbed the nearest Shadow and pulled him away from the lady, who lay huddled on the sidewalk. The Shadow spun on Jungkook and shoved him roughly to the ground. As if as one, all the Shadows turned to Jungkook, their silver eyes glinting in the morning sunlight.

“,” Jin muttered.

He tore after the dongsaeng, cursing Jungkook the whole time. He grabbed Jungkook’s arm and hoisted him up, apologizing quickly to the Shadows. “Joesonghamnida.” Sorry. “Jungkook, let’s go.”

“Halt.”

Another Shadow appeared behind them, blocking their way. Jin glared at the Shadow, as another Shadow pulled Jungkook away from Jin.

"Interfering in the Shadows' investigation and assaulting a Shadow will result in arrest," the one in front of Jin declared. 

Hyung!”

“Let him go,” Jin snapped, as a Shadow grabbed him from behind. His arms pinned by a vice-like grip, but Jin struggled until his shoulders throbbed, eyes on Jungkook. He watched as Jungkook was thrown into the same van as the kid. "Jungkook!" 

Something hit the back of his head, sending an explosion of stars through his vision. He collapsed to the ground, Jungkook’s screams an echo in his ears. Jin tried to lift his head but it throbbed, and the world spun. He tried to speak but his mouth felt stiff. All he could do was listen as the Shadows dragged Jungkook away. He heard a door slam, and the ground rumbled as the van drove off.

The idiot. Jin had done everything he could to try and protect the dongsaeng. He tried to protect Jungkook. He kept him from the meetings, and his stubbornness resulted in this. Jin placed a hand on his forehead, trying to stop the world from spinning. Someone was coming towards him, more than one person. His vision blurred and narrowed as someone knelt over him. He could just make out light brown hair and concerned eyes staring down at him.

Hyung?”

Finally, Jin found his voice, but the world was darkening. “Jungkook….”