Jin

Not Today

Work was the last place Jin wanted to be. He couldn't just abandon the mission, not while Jungkook remained in danger. In the end, it was Taehyung who pushed him to go.

"If you don't show up it'll look even more suspicious," Taehyung had pointed out. Unsurprisingly, work was monitored by NO, right down to the remaining independent businesses. If you missed a shift, your profile was flagged. One of the reasons why only Jin, Suga, and Hoseok worked, and why the other four did not.

****

Jin had to fight Jungkook about work. 

"It's risky," Jin sighed. "You're still not a 100%, so if you end up missing a bunch of days because you're sick...." 

Jungkook bristled. He hated when Jin pointed out his weakness. After Jin found him, Jungkook never did fully manage to heal. Jin always suspected it had something to do with the maknae's pass, which he refussed to talk about. What had the kid gone through? When they first met, NO had already been around for three, rocky years. Three years of riots, public executions, government upheaval. The UN tried to intervene, but NO somehow managed to keep them away. It was like North Korea all over again. Borders locked down, security tightened. Now there were whispers that NO was spreading into China. 

"Fine. Whatever." Jungkook grabbed the worn trucker's hat and placed it low on his head. 

"Where are you going?" 

Jungkook shrugged, eyes filled with that defiant look he was so good at making. "Out." 

****

Taehyung walked with Jin to the city. It was about an hour walk, but they were used to it. No one really drove anymore. Gas cost too much and was rationed in small amounts. Jin spent the night at the safe house, not wanting to go back to an empty apartment with a ghost of Jungkook. A light morning fog drfited around them as they moved across the field in silence. Jin was still sore over Taehyung's remarks, and walked a couple feet ahead of him, hands stuffed in his pockets. He slept on the stiff couch rather than in Taehyung's bed. 

They walked for a few more minutes in silence, before Taehyung broke it. He grabbed Jin's shoulder and they came to a stop. "Jin, wait." Jin didn't look back, but Taehyung knew he was listening. "I'm sorry, okay? I was only thinking logically."

Jin scoffed, but remained silent. Taehyung slowly moved around so he faced Jin. He bit his lip, a habit that always made Jin weak at the knees. He studied Taehyung, the way the soft morning light highlighted his brown hair, softened his features. He was stunning. It almost broke Jin, seeing his partner standing there looking perfect. Almost. 

"We need to have each other's backs, and I didn't have yours," Taehyung continued, stepping closer. His hand slid down Jin's arm lightly, teasingly, fingers twining with fingers. Jin suppressed a shudder from the carress. Taehyung knew he was breaking him, so he moved closer still, until Jin could smell the sweet smell of his partner's scent of soap and sweat. On reflex, he leaned into Taehyung, and their lips pressed together. 

No one outside of BTS knew about Jin and Taehyung. NO had strict rules about such relationships, so people hid them. But if they had a moment, Taehyung and Jin took it. If anyone saw them in the field, they would be done for. But in that moment, they didn't care. They were the only two people in the world. 

Jin was the first to surface. As much as it pained him, he pushed away from Taehyung, who pouted at the rebuff. 

"Work. Remember?" Jin sighed, "you sneaky bastard." 

Taehyung smirked. "I try." 

They held hands until they came to the edge of the city. It was comforting, having Taehyung by Jin's side. He felt a little emptier as when they let go of each other. 

"I'll see you after work. We'll get everything sorted out then." As Jin turned to leave, Taehyung grabbed his hand again. 

"Hey, don't worry. Jungkook's a strong kid. He's fine, and we're going to get him back." 

Jin squeezed Taehyung's hand and let it drop. He turned back to the city and slipped in an alleyway, hoping the shift would go by quickly. 

****

A/N: Well here's yet another chapter! A short one I know, but there will be more! Comments, upvoting, all appreciated and thank-you for tuning in to my story :D