Jungkook

Not Today

Jungkook was staring up at a bright light. It made his eyes water, but he couldn't move. He was strapped to the cold, hard table, his head secured in place by a leather strap. His body was still heavy with the sedative. Jungkook tried to swallow but his throat was dry. An IV was hooked up to his arm, a blue liquid dripping down. 

A shape blocked the light momentarily. Doctor Park. Jungkook glared at him, or tried to, as the doctor pulled up his eyelid. He held a dropper, and a second later something similar to an eye drop splashed into Jungkook's eye. "The silver of the Shadows eyes is merely a side effect." Doctor Park tapped the IV bag. "Something about the control serum, mixing with the eyedrops - it's an easy facilitator between the serum and your brain. It normally takes two doses, one in each eye, to take full effect." Doctor Park peered into Jungkook's eyes. "Already I can see the effects." 

And Jungkook could feel it. He felt...stiff. Though he could sort of move with the sedative, he found his limbs uncooperative now. His mind felt groggy. Doctor Park moved away. "Let's test it so far, hm? See just how strong your mind is." There was a pause, and Jungkook hoped that the doctor had left, or had suddenly been killed. Both ridiculous notions, but they somehow lightened his mood slightly. "Jungkook, curl your hand into a fist." 

Jungkook's body moved on its own. His attention sharpened on trying not to make a fist. His fingers tensed, cramped as he struggled to gain control. But then his will gave way, and he felt his fingers curl. He squeezed it tight, so tight he broke skin. Blood welled around his fingernails. 

"Still a little resistance. But we only did one dose." Doctor Park moved to the table again, when the door swung open, letting a flood of light into the dismal room. 

"What is it?" Doctor Park snapped. 

"Pardon, doctor-nim," someone out of sight said quickly. "There's been a...situation...a riot has broken out in Seoul. Director-nim wants the subject to join him at HQ." 

"He's not ready," the doctor hissed.

"Director-nim insists.... And he said if you disobeyed orders you would wish you had." 

There was a long pause, before Doctor Park agreed curtly. He must have stepped out of the way, for suddenly Jungkook's bonds were undone and he was pulled upright. His head lolled, and his body sagged between two Shadows, who dragged him down the hall. He wanted to run, he wanted to fight back, but he couldn't. They didn't even bother tying his hands together. Clearly, they believed he wasn't a threat anymore. The one dose was enough to make his own control difficult, but he would fight to keep his own mind.

The same van Jungkook first arrived in was parked outside, and he was thrown into the back once again. At least he was able to lie down without a light beaming down on him. There was nothing more he could do for now, and soon he felt himself dozing off with the vibrations of the van. 

****

Jungkook awoke as the van came to a halt. They were in the city now, he could tell that much. But something was off. There was too much noise, and it had to be after curfew for the sun was down. The van doors were thrown open and Jungkook was grabbed roughly. They were behind a large building, one Jungkook had seen every day. NO Headquarters. Director Lee Eun, stood before him, hands clasped calmly behind his back. "Excellent. Just in time for the fun to begin. Come Jungkook, I believe someone is eager to see you." 

He still had not enough strength to move on his own. A Shadow materialized beside him and led him behind Lee Eun, who walked swiftly into the building. Jungkook had never been inside the Headquarters, but he'd always imagiend it like a dark, dingy crypt. Instead it was pristine white, not blinding or irritating like the facility. It was strange, then, seeing the scene outside the windows across the hall. There were so many people, angry and fired up about something. Jungkook felt a surge of pride. BTS had managed to convince the people to fight back. 

But then his heart sank when he saw him. 

Lee Eun pushed opened the door with little fear. Jin stood at the front of the protest, pushing back against the Shadows barracading the entrance. Jungkook struggled, pulled himself towards Jin, but the Shadow holding him determined he was more than just support. They might not need to bind his hands, but he still wasn't a complete Shadow. He still had a mind of his own, albeit fading. 

Jin's eyes moved from Lee Eun, to Jungkook, and there was an instant shift. The fight died in his gaze, replaced by relief, replaced by worry. He studied Jungkook's eyes, and the maknae knew what his hyung saw. The silver eye. All Jungkook wanted to do was tell him it was alright, he could fight it still, but he didn't get the chance. A gun appeared in Lee Eun's hand, and he fired one shot into the air. There was a shift in the crowd, silence falling upon it. 

He didn't listen to Lee Eun's speel, it was hard to focus when Jin was there, only a couple feet away. Suddenly, Suga was brought forward, but Jungkook was getting a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. 

A gun was into his hand. Lee Eun commanded him to shoot Suga. No. Jungkook couldn't. He fought against the order, his mind warring with his body. He knew without being told, where to point the gun. Suga froze, and lifted his hands. "Hold on, Jungkook...." 

"Jungkook, drop it," Jin pleaded. "This isn't you, please..." 

Jungkook looked pleadingly at Jin. A pain in the side of his head. Sharp. He pressed a hand against his head. No. He would not kill Suga.  "Hyung, I can't...." 

"You can. You can fight it, you're stronger than you think," Jin said slowly. Jungkook was fighting. He was fighting harder than he ever fought before. But his will was wavering. It was failing. 

"Shoot him!" Lee Eun snarled.

Something snapped. Jungkook's eyes snapped to Suga, and his grip was more confident around the gun. Suga trembled, but he kept his eyes on Jungkook. He had to shoot. It was an order. He couldn't disobey orders.  

"I'm so sorry, hyung," Jungkook whispered, his finger pulling the trigger.

It was like time became slow motion. He saw Jin lunge at him, as Suga cringed and closed his eyes. The bullet hit Jin square in the back, as he wrapped his arms around Suga protectively. There was a gut-wrenching scream, and only when Jungkook was being forced onto his feet did he realize it had come from him. He clawed at the Shadow holding him back, watched Suga collapsed under the weight of Jin. Jin's eyes were squeezed shut in pain, a trickle of blood slipping out of the corner of his mouth. Suga held him tight, saying something Jungkook couldn't understand. 

"Take Min Yoongi into custody. It seems we have no more use for Kim Seok Jin."

Jungkook saw Lee Eun's smirk, and his hand tightened around the gun.

Then he froze. 

He still held the gun. 

He stopped struggling, and the Shadow let him go. Big mistake. Before anyone could stop him, Jungkook aimed the gun at the Director and fired. This time without hesitation. And his shot hit the mark. Lee Eun's smile was slapped off his face, and he looked down at his chest. A red spot bloomed on his shirt, bright and spreading quickly. Jungkook collapsed, his energy gone. No one bothered with them now, now that Lee Eun had been shot. The protestors didn't seem to have any further direction, but there was a flurry of activity as they found their fight again and surged on HQ. They avoided Jungkook, Suga and Jin, and all Jungkook could see was Jin and Suga. Jin was pale, his face contorted in pain, but he was still alive. For now. Slowly, Jungkook crawled to where Jin lay. Suga tensed, and leaned away from Jungkook, but Jungkook swallowed that pain for the time. Shakily, he pressed a hand against Jin's face. Jin's eyes were glossy and dazed, but they focussed on Jungkook. 

"I'm sorry, hyung" Jungkook sobbed. "For everything." 

"What...an odd...look" Jin groaned, his hand brushing across Jungkook's eye. "Suits you...." 

"Hyung," Jungkook leaned his head against Jin's chest. "Please, don't leave me." Jin's eyes fluttered and he rested a hand on Jungkook's head. Suga sniffed bowed his head, forgetting how nervous he was around Jungkook. In that moment, they were brothers, there for each other in a moment of need. 

****

A/N: ...I'm just gonna go hide away until you finish reading this....