Thirteen

Look how pretty I am
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The group of friends watched Tiffany walk away as she talked enthusiastically with whoever was on her phone. With the way she was talking, most of them guessed it was her wife.

After a few minutes of staring, Hyejeong breaks the silence. “So, uh, I guess we’ll start heading to that restaurant now?”

“Yes! Great idea! Let’s get going.” Namjoo starts pushing Eunji and Seolhyun forward. She was still feeling uneasy about the atmosphere surrounding Jisoo and Rose, and was a little too eager to get away from them.

Eunji frowns at her. “Stop pushing me! I can walk on my own!”

Seolhyun takes her car keys out of her purse, and then glances at Jennie. “We’ll meet you girls there.” She usually carpools to school with Hyejeong, Eunji, Bomi, and Namjoo, since the five of them lived in close proximity of each other.

Jennie checks her phone and sees that it was only around three o’clock. “It’s a bit too early for having dinner.”

Seolhyun looks at her phone. “Oh! You’re right, it is. Then I guess we can check out the stores near the restaurant until it’s time to eat!”

Bomi wasn’t thrilled about that idea and started whining. “Window shopping? Nooooo! I’d rather go to the arcade nearby!”

Jennie decides to step in before her friends began arguing about what they’ll be doing. “It’ll take us a little time to get there, because we’re going to walk.”

Lisa, who had been busy arranging twigs on the ground with her foot, turns to the brunette. “We are?”

Jennie nods, brushing some strands of brown hair out of her face. “We need to talk.”

Lisa didn’t like the sound of that. She tries to remember if she did something to upset Jennie, but couldn’t come up with anything. Am I in trouble for doing something that I don’t remember doing? “You and me?”

Jennie points at Jisoo and Rose. “No, with the crazy couple.”

“And what is there to talk about?” Jisoo places her hands on her hips.

Jennie stares incredulously at her older friend. “Are you serious? There are so many things that need to be discussed, now that Suzy is here!”

Jisoo wasn’t interested in her friend’s suggestion. She wasn’t in the mood for another one of the brunette’s lectures; not that she ever was. “Well, I don’t want to discuss them with you.”

Jennie crosses her arms after hearing the reply that she expected from her friend. “I’m not excited with the idea of talking to you about this either, but I’ll force myself to, for Rose’s sake.”

Jisoo frowns slightly, and then gently cups her girlfriend’s face in her hands. “How do you feel about that, sweetie?”

Rose looks anxiously into the older girl’s eyes. “I really need to talk to you, right now.”

Jennie hears her younger friend’s response and rolls her eyes. “Fine, you two talk it out first.”

Jisoo scoffs upon hearing that. “As if we needed your permission.”

 

After saying goodbye to their friends, the four girls started walking towards the University District. Jisoo and Rose were holding hands, walking behind Jennie and Lisa.

Rose glances at her girlfriend’s face, seemingly searching for answers. She felt confused about what to do about their situation, and about the emotions she was feeling. “So what do we do now?” she asks, hoping that her girlfriend can reassure her.

Jisoo looks back at her curiously. “What do you mean?”

“Now that I know the truth about your past, and Suzy has returned, how do we move forward from this?”

“By doing everything the same as before. Nothing will change just because my ex has suddenly shown up.”

Rose takes a deep breath, trying to think of a way to say what’s on her mind without sounding harsh. She really wanted to believe her girlfriend, but in the light of everything that has happened recently, she found it hard to do so.

Rose hesitates before speaking, trying to come up with words that can soften the impact. “Are you sure about that?”

Jisoo knew what she was implying and felt a little hurt by the lack of trust. I suppose I deserve it. I haven’t been showing much restraint the past few days. “Yes, I am.” She hoped her answer sounded more confident than she was feeling. I really have gotten over Suzy, right?

Unfortunately for the older girl, Rose had caught the uncertainty in her voice. “Tell me the truth. Are you over Suzy?” she demands firmly, frowning. If there’s any doubt in your answer, we have a serious problem.

Jisoo’s gaze turns downward, unwilling to meet her girlfriend’s eyes.  “I… I wish I could say yes. I really want to, so badly. But if I’m being completely honest…” She pauses, and then continues quietly. “I don’t know.”

This was absolutely not what Rose wanted to hear. She tries to maintain her composure, but couldn’t help hardening her voice. “And why aren’t you certain of it? Do you still have feelings for her?”

The older girl was reluctant to answer her question. Because I still want to her.

But I can’t tell her that! That’s going to make things even worse than it already is.

No, I have to tell her. I have to be upfront about everything now. I’ve hidden things from her for too long. “No, I don’t have any feelings for her. But the reason why I’m not sure is… because… she was the best partner I’ve ever had. She knows exactly what I like, and was one of the few girls who could match my aggression.” Jisoo internally cringes at her own words. She is not going to like hearing that.

“So all it takes for you to consider going back to her is ,” Rose replies in an icy tone, feeling her anger returning.

“Resisting ual temptations is something I’m still working on,” Jisoo admits with a weak smile.

Rose raises her voice. “Great, so all she has to do is offer to have with you, and then you’ll consider going back to her, right?!”

Jisoo quickly tries to pacify the sudden anger of her girlfriend. “No, it’s not the same anymore!” she insists.

“But you said that you didn’t know if you were over Suzy!”

“I want to say that I am, but I… I don’t even know if I can trust myself with her!”

“So then how the hell am I supposed to trust you?!” exclaims the younger girl angrily, frustrated with her girlfriend’s uncertainties.

Jisoo was crestfallen when she heard that. “I guess… you’ll just have to trust me.” She didn’t know what else to say.

Rose doesn’t respond as her eyes moistened. It really hurt her to say that to her girlfriend, but at the same time, she had to be honest with the older girl about her feelings. I’m asking the person I trust most how I can trust her now.

I feel terrible for saying that. She must be really hurt by those words.

 

Lisa takes a glance at the couple, her brows furrowing with concern. She grabs Jennie’s arm. “Unnie, do something!” she pleads. This was one of her biggest fears about her two close friends dating; seeing both of them hurting from a serious problem in their relationship. It was due to happen eventually. But it still doesn’t make it any easier for me to see.

The brunette sighs. I did all I could to warn them not to move too fast. I knew Jichu’s habits and past would not sit well with someone who gets jealous so easily. “Let’s just go home and have that talk that I was suggesting earlier.”

 

---

 

The four girls returned to their apartment and changed into their comfortable t-shirt and shorts. They went into their shared bedrooms to try to finish their homework before dinner.

 

Rose was sitting on her bed, hugging her pillow as she stared absent-mindedly at her open textbook. As much as she tried to concentrate on her psychology reading assignment, her mind kept wanderin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter