Shin Ramyun and Corndogs

SINRIN ONE SHOTS

When we were trainees, Eunbi (the younger Eunbi, not the short older one) and I used to hang around each other a lot. Often times we would go to the convenience store located no further than a block from our company's main building. Every time we went there it was an adventure because from what I heard, we weren't exactly allowed to go anywhere outside the main building while training.  

But you know Eunbi, she's too stubborn for her own good and she would always drag me into her little mischiefs. Not that I mind, I've always enjoyed her presence. 

There's this one time after hours' worth of dance practices, the two of us were starving, obviously. Eunbi was craving the infamous Shin Ramyun while I craved for some deep-fried corn dogs. Back then it was so difficult. 

Being a trainee meant that we basically had to give our lives away for a couple of years until debuting, sometimes even after debuting. That also meant that our lives were being controlled to the fullest, from the meals we eat to our daily activities. We weren't allowed to do many things, like own a cell phone and our diet was the strictest, even our pocket money was sometimes limited to a few thousand won a day.  

So, Eunbi and I had to compromise. But first we had to get out of the building and the thing that intrigued me the most is that Eunbi knew at least 3 ways to get out of the building that didn't involve the use of the main door. I don't know how she knew, but if it weren't for her extended knowledge I don't think we were able to eat Ramyun that day, or even go to the convenience store any other time. 

The owner of the convenience store had always known who the both of us were due to our frequent visits, he would greet us so welcomingly every time and sometimes if we decide to sit and eat outside the store, he would join us for a small chat. He would ask us how our dance practices went, if we had eaten or not and if we're lucky, he would even give us the ramyun for free!  

The same day, I waited for Sinb to make her ramyun and heat up my fried corndog in the microwave. I was by the cashier when the owner suddenly spoke up to ask me, 

"Yerin-ah, you like her, don’t you?" 

A wave of panic rushed through me, I remember his face so well. He was calm, his smile was warm and comforting, like it's always has been. His eyes told me that it was okay, and that he knew. I can feel my heartbeat go down realizing that he intentions were anything but bad. 

I look down on my feet as I bit my lip, not sure to admit or lie because even if he was accepting of me, it could end up being bad either way. But something tells me if I don't admit it any sooner, I might explode due to these feelings. 

So, I nodded slowly. His smile grew wider like a proud father. It's been awhile since I've gotten this type of affection because our company won't let us see our families sometimes due to our debut preparation.  

"You should wait a few more years before telling her, after debut preferably. I have a strong feeling that she likes you too, so hang in there" He continued. His low tone of voice was full of comfort and acceptance.  

Sinb came back holding her cup of Shin Ramyun and my corndog with a big smile plastered on her face. I can tell that she's genuinely happy right now, even though it's only about food. Typical Hwang Eunbi.  

As I was about to go, I stop myself and asked Sinb to go on first. Then I turned my back to face the owner of the convenience store,  

"Thank you, whatever happens, I'll definitely come back here for a meal" I said with a smile, then bowed 90 degrees to him respectfully. He only smiled back and did a small bow himself with his head.  

After that, I saw Sinb outside the store waiting for me patiently. Once she saw me too, a big beautiful smile grew on her face as she excitedly tells me to come towards her quickly. I chuckled on the way to her trying to hide my pale blushed cheeks. 

Her smile became smaller but sweeter, cuter, lovelier, and warmer. Her smile felt like home. I'll always love her smile. 

We made our way to the park located a few meters away from the convenience store and sat at a bench. No kids were playing at the playground due to the chilly weather recently.  

"I'll eat well!" Sinb announced like an excited child, she's too cute for her own good. Right away she dove into her cup of ramyun.  

"I'll eat well" I too announced and took a small bite of my fried corndog. "Bi, we'll debut, right?" I asked out of curiosity, more like wanting validity. All of us do this sometimes, for validation. 

Eunbi looked up from her cup of ramyun and turned her head towards me, she stared into my eyes softly as my heart raced. "I overheard our manager talking earlier, he said that our debut will be delayed to a few more months..." 

 I remember my world flipped upside down when Eunbi finished her sentence. Back then, our main worry and concern was debuting, we didn't care about any other problems that we faced. 

"Yoojin's leaving the company, that's why we're being held back. I didn't have to eavesdrop to know that" Eunbi chuckled emptily. She was hurting too, it was both physically and mentally painful for all of us. 

"We'll debut" I said, "We will debut" I repeated firmly. Eunbi smiled warmly at my sudden confidence. I remember that smile so well. 

"We'll debut, and when we do, we're going to have so many fans, Unnie. They're going to love us, love you, especially, with your bubbly personality and stunning visuals"  

"How do you know that they're going to love me?" I asked trying to hide my burning cheeks. 

"Because I love you, Unnie"  

Love is a strong word. I remember feeling like time had stopped, suddenly it was pin drop silent, I heard ringing through my ears. It was surreal.  

The look in her eyes was so surreal, but how do I tell that she was being serious? And was the love she meant is the same love I'm experiencing, because I definitely, do, love her too. 

"I love you too, Bi" I whispered softly. Her eyes soften towards mine and soon enough the both of us were a flustered mess. 

The day ended with us finishing our forbidden food and heading back to our company building before the sun went down. And no, we didn't get caught, we never have.