Chapter 20

At 2 in the morning

 

 

The next days become… let's call it quiet hectic for Kihyun. Everyone seems to be a tiny bit on the edge and especially Hoseok is hovering over him like he could disappear any second
Now, he actually wouldn't care but that much about it because it is kind of cute and endearing but in the end he would love if all of them could calm down a little. He is almost happy that he needs to go to dialysis because he will have a few hours of silence and no one will call to inquire him about his whereabouts because he will be save and sound in his hospital bed.

He checks his watch once again. A few minutes after two. Jooheon should have been around for the past twenty minutes now. Hyunwoo brought him to the hospital but had to leave for work.

Kihyun shrugs to himself. He can get through it by now as long as someone is there afterwards to help him get home.

" Can you not hurry up?" The girl in the seat next to him says into her phone, her voice close to breaking.

" I know you're busy but….…..… yes. Please hurry." She hangs up and looks so much like someone has died that Kihyun can't help but to address her.

" You seem to like hospitals as much as me."

She looks young, most probably hasn't turned 18 yet. Nervously she kneads her hands. " My brother wanted to accompany me but now something keeps him at work. Today I'm getting my results."

" What results, if I may ask."

She grimaces. " Diabetes."

"Ah. I see. Same problem as me."

"You're here because of diabetes?"

Her eyes go round and Kihyun decided not to tell her that his diabetes ed up his body quiet a lot and that this is the reason he is here today.

" Yes."

Her gaze wanders to the door of the doctors office. " I'm a bit scared."

"Why?"

"I hate needles... and I heard people have to adjust a lot. It must be difficult."

Kihyun shakes his head slowly. " I had the same thoughts in the beginning."

" How long has it been?"

"Hmm… More than ten years."

She looks at him so awestruck that he can't help but to chuckle.

" It really isn't that horrible. Of course, you need to overcome your fear of the needle first and in the beginning it to quit a few things but if you really have diabetes you will feel a lot better after you get your medication."

She eyes him suspiciously. " You're not lying?"

He smiles and shakes his head. " Really. Living with it isn't that bad."

She nods slowly. " Okay."

"Still nervous?"

" A but. But you said it'll be okay so…"

 She reaches out for him. " I'm Lee Jin. Jin. Just on syllable."

"Yoo Kihyun. Kihyun. Two."

She sits on her hands and swings her legs through the air.." Are you also waiting for the doctor, Kihyun?"

"Yes."

A small lie for her benefit.

" I really hope he'll tell me everything is okay."

"Yoo Kihyun." The nurse calls into the waiting room. Kihyun gets up and friendly pats her shoulder. " No matter what comes out. It will be fine. Trust me."

"Okay."

She waves to him and he leaves after the nurse.

 

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

" Kihyun… hey…"

Someone softly touches him by the shoulder. He blinks into the light, having dozed off while the machine slowly does its work.

" Hoseok..."

" Hey." he bends down with a smile and kisses him gently before he sits in down and starts to run his fingers through Kihyuns hair.

" Sleepy?"

Kihyun wipes over his eyes. " There was nothing better to do. Don't you have to be at work?"

" Took half the day off and told Jooheon to stay at home."

"You shouldn't have."

Hoseok pokes his cheek.

"I felt like seeing you. So today you're all mine.", he takes Kihyuns hand. " It still feels horrible to see you like this. That machine looks scary as ."

"It helps though."

Hoseok eyes the machine that cleans Kihyuns blood. " Still. You are feeling okay?"

" A bit sleepy but all in all I'm good.", he interlaces their fingers. " So… how are you going to entertain me today?"

" I brought my tablet. Downloaded that new zombie movie you wanted to watch so badly."

" Really?"

" Of course.", Hoseok pats his own shoulder. "Because I'm an awesome boyfriend."

Kihyun beams." You're the best."

Hoseok leans in for another kiss but a clipboard stops him.

" Shin Hoseok." The nurse says in a serious tone but everyone can see the playfulness in her eyes.

Hoseok rubs his hurting head.

" Why…" he whines.

" Do you remember our talk about Kihyuns blood pressure?"

Hoseok plays along. Feigning desperation he hangs his head.

" His blood pressure is going crazy enough on its own, I don't have to stir it on top of that."

She checks Kihyuns charts. " Huge variations."

Kihyuns cheeks redden.

Her eyebrow lifts. " Body contact?"

"Just a small kiss.", with two fingers Hoseok shows how small he thinks. " Miss Lee... I missed him. Have a heart."

"I remember him telling me that you live together now."

" I had to leave early in the morning."

" Such a long time."

"You don't have a Kihyun so you don't know how it feels."

"Hoseok…", Kihyun groans and hides his embarrassed face under the pillow. Why again is Hoseok loved by all the nurses?  And why do the nurses love teasing him so much?  Not only them… Hoseok is the actual leader of the squad.

" Ki-hyun-na." Hoseok hums and slightly lifts the pillow to look at Kihyun. His smile widens when he sees the red cheeks.

" Sorry."

"You're not."

" Your adorable blushes though. I need to see them once daily."

"I'm not adorable." Kihyun states as a matter of fact and Hoseok nods with a knowing smile. "Yeah. Sure, babe."

He intertwines their fingers and kisses Kihyuns knuckles before they start the movie.

 

 

 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

 

Kihyun leaves the room slowly, gaze on his shoes.

Left foot, right foot, left again.

He can manage.

" Are you okay?" Hoseok follows closely, his and Kihyuns jacket in his arms, gaze on Kihyuns wobbly legs. Kihyun knows he won't fall again with Hoseok by his side, but he doesn't want to take the chance and keeps his pace slow.

" I'm good. I'm still conscious." He tries to joke but Hoseok isn't one for black humour when it comes to Kihyuns health.

" I don't trust you." he says.

Kihyun reaches out for him and waits until Hoseok takes his hand. " Nothing will ever beat my first day here. I'm feeling alright. Really."

"Let's get you home and eat something."

"Sounds good."

He kisses Hoseok with a smile and they continue their way down the hallway, still holding hands. Kihyun has always been envious of Hoseoks hands. So soft compared to his but since he is the one being touched by them it is alright. They pass by the waiting room and Kihyun spots a familiar figure in the corner.

"Hoseok."

"Hm?"

" Can you get me something to drink from the cafeteria?"

"Sure.", Hoseok places their jackets on a nearby chair. " Just water?"

"Yeah. Thank you."

"You'll wait here?"

Kihyun nods and Hoseok leaves him for the cafeteria. He waits until his boyfriend is out of sight and enters the waiting area.

" Jin?" he calls over to the girl who is sitting in the corner, bend over a few flyers in her hand.

" Hey." she says bleakly.

Kihyun takes a seat at the uncomfortable chair.

" Why are you still here?"

She lifts the flyers in her hand and puts them down in her lap. " I'm positive."

Kihyun watches her in pity. " You must feel bad at the moment."

"It feels…", she tries to find the right words and Kihyun gives her the time. "… frustrating. But all in all really overwhelming. The doctor. He didn't have a lot of time for me. He gave me those flyers and said I should read them until my next appointment. But that is all gibberish to me."

Kihyun takes on of the flyers and scans the content before he hands it back to her. " Yeah. I get what you mean."

" Will I ever understand how it works?"

He pats her shoulder. " One day it will be as easy as brushing your teeth. I promise you that."

Jin tries to smile at him but it isn't working quiet that well.

Kihyun elbows her gently. " We're in the same boat now."

"Seems like it."

" The most important thing now is to find a doctor that you trust."

She clicks her to tongue. " I didn't like him."

" Then don't stay with him. You will spent quiet a lot of time with your doctor so choose someone you trust and feel comfortable with.", he points down the hallway. " My doctors has her office over there. Maybe you could make an appointment with her. She's been treating me for years now and I trust her a lot."

" I don't know anything at the moment. I really just want to go home and sleep."

He pats her back. " You're brother hasn't arrived yet?"

" He'll pick me up later.", she looks more frustrated than ever. " He should have been here."

" You should tell him that. Support is crucial. Without my friends, I wouldn't know what to do a lot of times."

He sees Hoseoks blonde shock of hair from afar and slowly gets up from his seat.

" I'm sorry. I need to go now. My boyfriend is waiting for me."

" Boyfriend?"

"Yes." Kihyun responds slightly abashed and rubs the back of his neck."

He stays for a moment longer, undecided if he can just leave her here.

She smiles. " It's okay. My brother will be here soon either way. For real this time."

" You'll be fine. I promise."

" Thanks, Kihyun."

Hoseok tries to catch a glimpse of her when Kihyun comes back to him.

"Who did you talk to?"

Kihyun pulls him down the hallway.

" Diabetis friend."

"Diabetis friend?"

" Just some girl I met in the waiting area. Seems like she got diagnosed today."

Hoseok opens the water bottle he brought and hands it over to Kihyun.

" Thanks.", he drinks a few sips.

" She's handling it well?" Hoseok pushes the bottle into his bag when Kihyun finishes drinking.

" As well as you can handle it.", Kihyun shrugs. " It's not like you can do anything against it. And diabetes isn't the end of the world."

Hoseok slings an arm around his shoulder when they reach the exit. " You had to level up, didn't you?"

Kihyun is amazed. " Slowly you're getting the thing with the black humour."

Hoseok laughs. " I'm trying to do my best. But now, my beloved boyfriend.", they stop in front of the automatic doors. " What will we have for dinner?"

" What do you want to eat?"

" You do know my menu will always be ramyun."

Kihyun nods in approval. " Then ramyun it is."


 

 

OOO

 

 

 

 

" It is totally unrealistic."

" What is there unrealistic?", Hyungwon almost spits the chip he just ate out again in all of his agitation. " She's in love. Of course she'd forgive him."

" Please."

" You'd forgive Hoseok hyung if  he cheated on you."

"First of all.", Kihyun stops the drama they are currently watching. " He wouldn't cheat on me. Second of all I wouldn't be able to forgive him cause he'd never see the light of day again."

Hyungwon nods in approval. " That sounds legit. Still, I think it is pretty normal for people to forgive."

Kihyun scoffs. " You need to stop watching dramas too often."

" I finally have someone that joins me. Of course I won't."

Kihyuns gaze wanders to the window. It is already dark outside.

" Where is everyone?", he wonders. " They should have been back hours ago."

Hyungwon shrugs. " Enjoy the calm for a moment."

" I'm getting worried."

"Then call them."

Kihyun gives him the look. " As if I haven't already tried."

He calls again,  first Hoseok, than Hyunwoo, lastly Minhyuk but to no avail and an hour later he is sitting next to the door and puts his shoes on. Quietly so Hyungwon, who went to his room for a second to check something on his laptop won't notice.

He doesn't want to go far. Just around the apartment, walking up and down a few steps so his worried mind starts to calm down.

They really got him with their anxiety.

He scurries outside, bag in his hands, runs over to the elevator and sighs in relief when the doors close before somebody can pull him out again. Jooheon did it two days ago and it hurt his pride in a way he didn't think would be possible.

When he gets out of the elevator he checks his phone for the nth time and curses under his breath, half angry, half worried when there is still no message. At least Minhyuk could text him back. Isn't his mobile glued to his hand normally?

He rubs his stomach that has been hurting a bit all day long in annoyance. Of course everything had to be ed up today.

Murphys law.

Kihyun paces up and down, decides then, that another small step down the street won't hurt.

Only to the end of the parking lot.

Maybe he can see them already from that spot.

But he can't and doesn't stop there.

He reaches the street, waits there. Then it is the supermarket around the corner, then the park close to the crossroad.

His phone almost fall to the ground when someone calls unexpectedly.

" Hyung." Hyungwon says strictly without as much as a greeting.  

Kihyun kicks a pebble out of his way. " What?"

"Sneaking out behind my back? So not cool."

"I just walked a few steps."

"I can't see you in front of the door. though"

"I might or might not be close to the park."

He can almost see how Hyungwon grimaces in great displeasure. " That are not only a few steps and I want to you to come back right this instant. Did you take a look at the time?"

"Yes, mom.", Kihyuns gaze wanders up and down the street but still no sign of them. " A few more minutes."

"I'm coming to get you."

"Don't…" Kihyun whines.

" I give you ten minutes."

" 'kay."

The younger already hung up.

Kihyun sniffles.

Only around the corner. Maybe they just left the subway station. He will only take a look and then  go back right away.

Like he promised.

He crosses the street and passes a few alleys until he see she station in front of him. This late, everything seems empty and lifeless.

He wipes over his eyes. He has been feeling a bit drowsy for a while now. Maybe he should sit down for a moment. Maybe he needs another shot of insulin.

He just took a seat on a nearby bench and pulled out his utensils when someone calls him again. He almost slumps down in relief when he sees Hoseoks name on the screen.

" Where the hell have you been?!" he more or less yells into the speaker.

" I'm sorry.", Hoseok does sound sorry and Kihyun calms down a tiny bit. " Some things came up. You called me quiet a lot. You okay?"

"I got worried…"

Hoseok chuckles quietly. " I told you not to worry about me."

" Where have you been?"

His vision becomes blurred again.

" I met with Changkyun and Jooheon and then Minhyuk called me over to join him an Hyunwoo. Sorry it got so late."

He sounds a bit off, but nothing too much out of the ordinary. Hoseoks is tired an awful lot of times Kihyun found out over the months.

" Are you coming home now?"

" On our way. Hyunwoo is just getting the car."

Kihyun tsks. " I came out for nothing."

"I told you not to go out alone."

"You sound like Hyungwon."

" And I wonder why you didn't listen to him."

Another wave of pain washes over Kihyun, followed by a much worse dizziness than before.

He can't help but to slightly moan in pain.

" What's wrong?"

Of course it wouldn't go unnoticed by Hoseok.

" My stomach hurts."

" Your stomach?

.Kihyun shakes his head, tries to focus again but his body almost screams for insulin now. He should have taken it way earlier.

" Wait a second…"

"You sound shaky."

"Need to take a shot.", his fingers already started to shake and it is even difficult to hold the phone. " I need to put you on speaker for a second."

"Where are you?"

"One moment… I need to measure my..."

His fingers shake miserably by now.

" Kihyun?"

The syringe falls out of his hands and to the ground.

" …" Kihyun mumbles.

" What is it?"

" The syringe…"

" What's with it? Kihyun... you're starting to freak me out. Where are you!?"

All of Hoseoks alarm clocks seem to go off. And Kihyun thinks that maybe, this time it is pretty legit. He makes a huge mistakes  by getting up from where he is sitting. For a moment he wonders why his legs just buckle like that,  then he falls and his head hits the pavement with a dull thud before everything turns eerily quiet.