Photographs

Love Language

As Natalie arrived at her destination, the ancient structure of gyeongbok palace greeted her. She marvelled at the country's dedication to the conservation of their historic architecture upon this sight

 gyeongbok.jpg

"I'll be waiting for you here at 3 O clock miss" reminded Mr Lee as he dropped Natalie off at the visitor's center. Natalie walked briskly towards the ticketing booth, excited to enter the mysterious palace.
"Aniyohasehyo~" Greeted the lady inside the booth. "Aniyohasehyo, may I have one ticket please?",said natalie shyly as the lady shot her a questioning look.
This scenario had been happening since she landed in Seoul's Incheon Airport. Natalie had always looked korean; just like her mother, she had large eyes that didn't resemble that of a chinese. Coupled with her fair skin and naturally brown hair, she had always been mistaken for korean/japanese/mixed child. This explained the lady's look of surprise, which natalie caught even though the lady recovered herself almost immediately. As she was handed her ticket, Natalie said with a smile, " Kamsahamida~". She had picked up a few korean words listening to korean music, watching dramas and conversing with the Kim Family. She knew the basics of conversational korean, and according to Hyemi, was starting to perfect the pronounciations of the korean characters, misleading others into thinking she was truly korean. However, she still couldnt converse smoothly in the language. Natalie made a mental note to herself to brush up on her korean as she entered the courtyard of the palace. "Thank God it's not too cold" muttered Natalie as she realised she was wearing the same outfit as she had worn on the plane.
tumblr_lvzxelazMS1qf4yfko1_500.jpg

Immediately, she took out her DSLR and aimed carefully at the ancient green bricks of the palace roofs. As she looked through the lens, she naturally adjusted the camera details to bring out the texture of the old bricks before capturing the shot. She stepped back to admire the photo through the screen as she captured another shot, desiring for every shot to be perfect.Oblivious to her was something else that was going on within the palace grounds. As Natalie remained engrossed in photography, a photoshoot was occuring across the courtyard. The palace was rather empty as it was the school term for the korean students; peace and quiet allowed Natalie to immerse herself in the tranquility of the rich korean history.

Across the courtyard, a photoshoot for Chuseok(Korea's thanksgiving) starring one of korea's top artistes was happening simultaneously.Unknown to natalie, someone was observing her intently. For myungsoo, photoshoots were a part of the job. It wasn't something he enjoyed as much as performing, but he had no other option. It was for Infinite's publicity and popularity. "3...2..1..Smile", shouted the photographer as the group smiled on cue. Myungsoo Winced after the shot was taken. He still felt a little uncomfortable being the focus of the camera; He could rather be the one behind the camera, capturing shots of others that were candid and natural. Suddenly he noticed a girl crouching in the palace courtyard, her camera aimed at one of the palace towers. Her long brown hair, her fair skin and her heart shaped face hidden behind the lens reminded him of someone. Immediately his heart lunged, she looked just like his sister. His sister that had passed away in a car accident years ago; This no one knew as the company kept it a secret. To the media, it was just him and his younger brother in the family. As he stared intensly at her, he saw her smile satisfyingly at the camera screen. He smiled along naturally, as he realised two things. She didn't exactly look like his sister; it was that smile that reminded him of his sister. The smile that his noona would always give upon capturing a perfect moment, that satisfying smile that he would only give upon taking a special photograph. It was after his noona's death that he fell in love with photography, it was what kept her alive in his heart all this while.

 

As Natalie continued to survey her surroundings, she saw a breath-taking view at the east of the courtyard.
Gyeongbokgung%20Palace.jpg

 Awestruck, she ran swiftly to the lake and laid her DSLR on a bench overlooking the view. Slowly she took a deep breath and basked in the visual feast that awaited her. I Haven't felt this free in a long while. It's so peaceful here. Natalie soon opened her bag to take out her polaroid camera, one she reserved to capture special moments. Taking a step back, she took a picture of the view and left the developing polariod on the bench, waiting for it to fully show up.
As a breeze blew past, the tree a distance away started to shake, shedding the rest of its red-yellow leaves to embrace winter. As the space surrounding her filled with falling leaves, she grabbed her DSLR and ran , wanting to freeze this once-in-a-lifetime moment into a photograph.
A lone polariod of the lake laid forgotten on the wooden bench