Chapter 18

My Awesomely Stupid Friend

Chapter 18

Confession?

A few years passed quickly, with not much happening, but each year, Aaron and Gui seemed to part. They weren’t in any of the same classes and barely spoke to each other.

One day at the basketball courts, Chun and Aaron were playing their normal game of basketball on one court and the girls on the other court. Gui was as usual, walking around with Ella. Then the basketball bounced towards Gui. Aaron went over to her.

“Here”

“Thanks”

Ella stared at them blankly.

Aaron went over to Chun and gave him the basketball.

“Aaron, you’re getting shy. Do you still like Gui?”

“What does it matter to you?”

“It doesn't. But you’re my friend and I want to help you out. So do you?”

Aaron didn’t reply.

“I’ll take it as a yes. After all these years, you still like her. THEN YOU SHOULD TELL HER IDIOT!”

“SHHHHHH”

“Tell her. You should.”

“Only if you tell”

“Tell who what?”

“TELL ELLA YOU LIKE HER!”

“SHHHHHH”

They both eyed each other for a while.

Someone they didn’t know was walking up to the boys eyeing each other.

“You guys want 4 tickets to the amusement park?” he asked.

“Why?”

“Coz I have 4 but I don't want them anymore and I don't want to dump them. You guys could bring your girlfriends along if you wanted.”

Aaron and Chun stared at each other with a grin.

“I’ll go if you’re going” said Chun

“I’ll go if you’re going” said Aaron.

“Then it’s a date” said the other guy. He handed over the tickets and walked away.

Aaron gave 2 tickets to Chun.

“But can we pretend it’s not a date. It would be awkward” said Aaron.

“Ok. You tell Gui that Ella is coming and I’ll tell Ella Gui is coming”

That day on the bus, Aaron got off on the same stop as Gui and took her to the shopping centre.

“What is it?” she asked while Aaron got her a cup of icecream.

“Sit first. I just wanted to ask you if you were busy this Saturday.”

Gui thought for a while. “Saturday? I don't think so”

“Great. Then would you mind going to the amusement park with me”

“What?”

“Coz Chun is asking Ella. So if we came it wouldn’t be so weird for them” he lied.

“For Ella, ok.”

The next day was Friday.

“Hey Aaron. Yes or no?” asked Chun directly.

“Yes. You?”

“Yes” and they both grinned at each other.

“You gotta tell ok?”

“You too”

“Ok”

That night, Aaron was in bed thinking how he was tell Gui.

‘Should I just tell her directly, or should I say it slowly?’

He was too tired and excited and scared to sleep. He stayed up late and in the end went to sleep.

He his side and saw the clock. 8:30. 8:30!!

“MUM!! Why didn’t you wake me up?!”

“You didn’t tell me to. Besides, it’s a Saturday”

“Mum, you’re gonna make me late” he said while dressing up.

He quickly ate his breakfast and ran out the door. He was supposed to meet Gui outside the amusement park at 9:00 and it took about30 minutes to get there, not including breakfast.

After he got off the bus, he ran as fast as he could to find Gui. He found her with Ella and Chun.

“You’re late” said Chun. “Isnt this outing very important to you?” he joked and punched Aaron lightly.

The 2 groups went out on their separate ways.

Aaron and Gui went on the rollercoaster first and had a great time spinning and screaming.

“I think my voice is going to disappear” said Gui. Then she saw a huge white stuffed teddy bear and ran over to the store.

“OMG!” she yelled.

Aaron, seeing the expression on Gui’s face knew what to do. He payed the man some money and he gave him some darts.

Gui watched anxiously, witing for Aaron to win the doll. But he couldn’t get it.

“It’s ok. I can go buy it from somewhere else.”

Then, they went to the haunted house. Gui was not very scared, but Aaron was.

They were sitting in two’s in a car like thing and it wwnt on a track through the haunted house.

“AHHH”

“Was that you Aaron?”

“Uhuh”

“AHAHAHA!! YOU SCREAM LIKE A GIRL” and they left the haunted house, one laughing and what frightened.

It was nearly 1 and so they met up with Ella and Chun to have lunch.

They talked a lot about where they went.

“Have you told her yet?” whispered Chun.

“No. I’m telling at the end of the day. You?”

“Nope. I was gonna tell her at the end of day too”

“What are you boys on about” said Ella.

“Nothing” they said.

“Suspicious” said Gui.

After lunch, Gui and Aaron went to the other rides. They went on the bumper cars, the Tilt-O-Whirl and the water boats and many different stores.

It was nearly the end of the day but there was still one ride Aaron and Gui had not gone on yet. But just before that Aaron left Gui standing in the middle.

“Aaron. Where were you? You said you would be quick” she said as he walked towards her with a huge smile on his face. He was hiding something behind his back.

“Gui, close your eyes first” and she did. “Now open”

Right in fron of her face was a huge stuffed teddy bear.

“OMG” and she hugged the teddy bear.

“How’d you get it?”

“I have my ways” he said and she thanked him. “And there’s one more thing we haven’t gone on yet.”

“What?”

“The Ferris Wheel”

They got on soon and they were sitting on each side of the Ferris wheel looking out to the ocean with the sun setting..

‘Come on Aaron, you can do it. NOW GO TELL HER’ he thought.

“Gui”

“Yea?”

“Don't answer me ok. Let me finish first”

“Uhh, ok”

“Gui. From the first time I saw you, I thought you were an ordinary girl. But actually, you’re not. Each day, when I come to school, I look forward to seeing you, seeing you smile. You’re smile lights me up. When you smile, I end up smiling myself. We were good friends once. I wish we still were, but my feelings for you haven’t changed like our friendship has. Sometimes, I wish it wasn’t like this. Sometimes I just wished we were best friends, closer than ever, but we aren’t. I know that this might have ruined everything between us, but I couldn’t keep it in any longer. I just had to tell you” he finished and looked at Gui.

Gui stared blankly at him.

“I don't get it. What are you trying to say?”

“Gui, I… I”