Stay

I'd Be Your Lifeline

Taehyung imagined he would have much to say to Jimin once he wakes up. He replayed it constantly in his head.

Jiminie I'm sorry. I am a fool. I never meant to cause you hurt. Will you forgive me? Because I can't seem to forgive myself.

But everything he meant to say flew out of the window when Jimin was heard saying in a timid voice to the doctor who had been nearby when he awoke, "I-I'm so-rry but— Wh-wh-at happened, why a-am I-I here?"

Taehyung had just reentered the ward to hear Jimin's first words after a two-day coma, and he was about to ditch his crutches and spring to engulf Jimin in a choking embrace, when Matron Lee held him back to let the doctor attend to Jimin first. 

__

Taehyung didn't understand any of it. How could Jimin's injury have affected his memory?

Taehyung had lingered behind and watched tensely while the doctor and Matron Lee examined Jimin's waking condition. They concluded through their private interaction with Jimin that he had a temporary form of amnesia. It was just a matter of time before his trauma-induced fuzzy memory recollected all the pieces.

Matron Lee stated a lack of oxygen to the brain due to Jimin's collapsed lung as the main cause of his forgetfulness.

Taehyung didn't think it would make things any easier for him to understand it. As long as Jimin would recover and was out of danger, he could breathe.

"Noona, you're very sure it's temporary?"

"Yes I'm sure. And hanging onto my sleeve is not gonna make a difference, Taehyung ah."

Taehyung released his nervous grip on the Matron's sleeve with a gulp.

"And why aren't you resting in your own ward, Taehyung?" The Matron asked with stern concern. 

"Noona, how can I rest without knowing he's fine—" Taehyung clammed down, knowing he needn't elaborate further on his guilt.

Matron Lee knew how he felt. She had wisely deduced this from seeing the both of them enter the A&E at the same time, and subsequently Taehyung hardly ever left Jimin's bedside other than for the mandatory washroom break or X-ray checkup or to have his bandages changed.

"Go." Matron Lee gently steered Taehyung towards Jimin, helping him a few steps forward on his crutches. "You might have to lead him slow and easy into this, help him to remember in small doses."

Taehyung wasn't sure that he wanted Jimin to remember everything. He'd never forget Jimin's eyes filled with sadness, asking if he wanted to die.

Taehyung wanted Jimin to be happy, not be the cause of his pain.

Every cell in his body was pulling towards Jimin either way; He desired to hold Jimin's hand and almost blurted a thousand thanks to Jimin just for staying alive and opening his eyes. Jimin could see tears of relief  Taehyung's sunken eyes as he approached his bedside. Why did Taehyung look so worn out?

"Ji-Jimin..."

Taehyung braced himself for Jimin to shun him. He could see that Jimin was not registering him with familiarity, and he hesitated to introduce himself. What would Jimin say once he recalls he got hurt saving trash like him?

"Why do you look worse off than me?" Jimin spoke slowly with a shortness of breath, but Taehyung so cherished hearing his voice again that he didn't miss a single word. He only managed to reflect it back.

"I—I do?"

"Yes. I thought I'm the one who saved you. If you look so terrible, how can I still consider myself a hero?" Jimin's laboured breathing did not deter him from showing the brightest eye smile, and Taehyung wondered how could he ever stay away. He wanted to be the guardian of eye smiles, if there were ever such a thing. Because Jimin's smile kept him going.

"You already know? But I thought..." Taehyung hovered next to Jimin, too apprehensive to sit down by his bed.

"I know that your name is Taehyung, and my name is Jimin. I'm a doctor while you were my patient. I saved you, and that's why I'm here. The nurse told me that much, and that I'd soon remember the rest."

Jimin squinted at Taehyung. "You look uncomfortable. Sit here." He tugged Taehyung's hand with enough strength for him to land his bum on Jimin's bed naturally, though not gracefully.

Taehyung wanted to shy away and attempted to stand, but a dull throbbing pain in his ribs reminded him not to be hasty. Jimin noticed him bending over slightly with his hand running up against his waist,  his breath in like he was neutralizing pain.

"Stay." Jimin's fingers closed tightly around Taehyung's. "I don't know why you keep looking like you want to run from me, but I want you to stay."

Taehyung lifted his eyes to meet Jimin's kind ones. Why did Jimin's tone sound almost intimate to him, like they had known each other for the longest time? He felt his feelings for Jimin going astray again. 

"Why? I haven't even told you about the kind of person I am. Why aren't you asking how I landed you in this state, how I put you in danger?" 

"If I'd thought to protect you, you must be important to me." Jimin reasoned quietly. "Does anything else matter? I'm trying not to send my brain into overdrive here." 

Taehyung felt a pinch in his heart to see Jimin struggle with an incomplete picture. He was really doing well. Most people in his shoes might have had a meltdown. Taehyung squeezed Jimin's hand gently, hoping that his slightly broken smile came across as supportive. 

"......The doctor said I haven't got much time left." 

"Wh-What do you mean—??" Taehyung's other hand finally let go of his crutches and sought out Jimin's hands in a deathly grip. 

No God no this can't be this can't be. I can't have you leave me, he panicked internally.

The crutches made a resounding crash to the ground, and Jimin winced. "Yeah well, he said I have to leave for an X-ray in 5 minutes, so you and I will have to talk later." said Jimin, checking the clock on the wall. 

"That's it??" Taehyung asked in a daze. 

"Yes." Jimin replied with a twinkle in his eye, clasping both of Taehyung's hands with a bright grin. "You'd be here when I get back, won't you?"