The Waterfront

Just have to let go

 

“Can we like go out? Exams are over guys!” Gikwang voiced out.

The six of you were sitting at your usual table in your school café. All of you started voicing out places to hang out during the weekends.

“why not we go to The Waterfront? We’ve been wanting to go there eversince its opened but we never did!” Junhyung said.

“Yeah!” all of your friends chorused except for you. You have heard a lot of stories from your other friends and relatives. There are monkeys lurking around.

“Er.. I’m not sure about that, guys. I think I’ll pass this one. I heard there are a lot of monkeys.” You said, scratching the back of your neck.

The others whined, begging you to go.

“Come one Hyuna! We are all going. We’ll protect you!” Jiyeon said.

“I went there before. I don’t see any monkeys! Really!” Junhyung tried to assure you.

You were still very nervous about going there. You tried to convince them by telling the stories you heard.

“Okay I’ll bring an umbrella. If the monkeys attack you, I’ll protect you with umbrella!” Junhyung said.

The rest of them laughed along with you. You were pleased to hear that your friends especially Junhyung is willing to ‘protect’ you just so you could go. But you were still unsure.

“Okay okay.. I’ll think about it.” You smiled.

“you have until tomorrow Hyuna!” Hyemi reminded you.

You chuckled. “What’s there anyway? Just a jetty right?”

Since the only person that has been there before is Junhyung, he’s the only one who was excited in telling what’s there. The others just listen attentively.

“The scenery at the jetty is damn nice! We can chill out and at the other side of the Waterfront there’s a HUGE spiderweb where you can climb all the way to the top!” Junhyung explained like a tour guide.

The rest of them were cheering excitedly like 5-year olds. You were convinced too. It seems like a very fun place but what about the monkeys??

“So what time are we planning to go?” you asked.

“Aha! It means you’re going right?” Junhyung smiled widely.

You blushed slightly. “I’m still considering!”

“No no.. I’ll take that as a yes. You ARE going Kim Hyuna.” Junhyung said, smiling with satisfaction.

The others laughed and cheered happily as if Junhyung had just won some race.

You just smiled and shook your head. I guess I’m going then.

 

The next day all of you went to The Waterfront. You were quite wary at first but when the cool wind blows to your face and you saw the scenery at the jetty, all your worries fade away.

It was a simple and fun outing. Took pictures, chill out, spaced out, talked about random topics, gossiping about couples at the jetty and laughed your hearts out most of the time.

Out of the blue, ALL of them wanted to go to the washroom. You didn’t feel like going and decided to just stay for awhile and enjoy the scenery while the others are gone.

You stood behind the wooden rails, resting your arms on it. You were facing the big sea that looks more like the ocean. The cool wind blows to your face once again as if it knows how much you like it. You closed your eyes feeling the wind against your face.

Suddenly you felt a hot breath on the side of your right cheek. You were startled for a second and turned your head quickly to your right. It was Junhyung.

He backed away a little but his hands were still at the same position: on your sides, resting on the wooden rail. You were pretty much being trapped.

“Oh Junhyung!” You said, relaxing a little.

He chuckled and move closer to you. “Mianhe.. Did I scare you?” he asked smiling.

You just smiled and turn you attention back to the open sea. You felt him resting his chin on your shoulder. You were frozen at your position. You didn’t know how to react. So you just stayed still and tried to look relax. His hands have now moved from the rails to circling your waist with his arms. Now you really couldn’t relax.

He felt your body stiffened and chuckled softly. “Relax..” he whispered closely to your ear. You shivered slightly, feeling his warm breath against your ear.

You tried to relax yourself and you found yourself leaning on his body. The both of you just stayed at that position, enjoying the scenery in front of you. How I wish I could stay in his arms forever.

Both if you startled when your phone vibrated. Junhyung moved his hands away and placed it on the wooden railings again, still trapping you. His head had moved from your shoulder and you straightened your body from his chest.

“Hello?” you answered the call.

“Yah Hyuna. Don’t think I didn’t see the both of you. What if Doojoon sees the both of you? He’ll freak I tell you! I’ll tell him and the rest to go to the spiderweb straight. You and Junhyung better start moving there now!” Hyemi said and hang up even before you can say anything.

You just stared at your phone. You saw Junhyung smirked from the corner of your eye. Obviously, he had heard what Hyemi said on the phone. “I guess we’ll better get going then.” He said.

You smiled and nodded. The both of you walked to the spiderweb. The intense moment fade away when all of you started playing around on the spiderweb. People might easily mistake all of you for 10 year olds. You didn’t care though. All of you just wanted to have fun. Is that wrong?

“Come one Hyemi you can do it!” The rest of you cheered Hyemi on when she tried to climb. Junhyung was patiently guiding her while Gikwang playfully shake the spiderweb to make it difficult for Hyemi to climb. All of you just got to know that the strong-willed and hard headed girl Hyemi is actually scared of heights.

At last she made it to the top. All of you explored the top as there were some bridges taking you from one end to the other. Gikwang kept on scaring Hyemi by jumping on the unstable bridge, making Hyemi shout. You were all walking in a straight line like obedient kids with Gikwang upfront followed by Hyemi, Doojoon, Jiyeon, you and Junhyung.

As you walked, Gikwang jumped again making the bridge wobble. Hyemi shouted even though she was holding tightly onto the ropes by the sides. Jiyeon and Doojoon just laughed. You weren’t scared of heights but the sudden wobble of the bridge made you lose your balance and you nearly fall the side. Junhyung caught you waist just in time. You turned and mouth ‘thank you’ to him and he just smiled. His hand did not leave your waist as you might fall again. Your stomach was doing flips and your heart could have not beaten any faster.

All of you had a lot of fun at the Waterfront and its time to go home as it was getting dark. Jiyeon had gone home earlier as she needs to take her younger sister from tuition class. Doojoon came with his bicycle so he cycled home. Two gone, left with four.

The Waterfront was quite deserted at night. The bus stand is infront of a jungle and you could see nothing inside except for tall trees and bushes. It was pitch dark inside. Who knows what might jump out from there.

The four of you waited patiently at the bus stand. The first bus that came after about half and hour of waiting, was packed so you had to wait for another one. Hyemi and Gikwang were very impatient and started ranting on and on about the bus. You were sitting on the bench when Junhyung sat quietly beside you. You felt so tired that you can just sleep at the bus stand and go home the next morning. Your eyes were closing and you yawned.

“Sleepy already?” Junhyung asked and chuckled softly.

You turned to him sleepily. You smiled and nodded. Your eyes were already half closed.

The bus came soon after and it was not as packed as the previous one but was still packed. The four of you had to stand as all the seats were taken. You were standing beside Junhyung who was holding on the hand rail that was attached on the top of the bus. As you were quite short, you held onto the back of a seat. It was a long journey and you were getting tired.

You nearly fell when the bus suddenly jerked. You were too tired to realised that all along, Junhyung was holding you by your waist. Just when you wanted to fall then you notice the strong grip around your waist.

“Hyuna, its going to be quite a long bus ride. Why not you sleep for awhile?” Junhyung said.

You were quite confused. Sleep? Where? Its not that I’m sitting down. You just nodded. Gently, Junhyung held the back of your head and slowly rested your head on his chest. His grip around you got tighter as he hugged you closer to him. His other hand was still holding onto the hand rail on top.

Honestly, you were too tired to be stunned and you remove your hand form the back of the seat and hugged his waist slightly. Not long after, you fell asleep.

 

Hello my fellow readers! I'm glad i still have readers and I LOVE READING YOUR COMMENTS! even if its just one word, i still love it! :D btw, just wanna share that im in a process of making a music video to fill up my portfolio! wish me luck that everything goes well yeah? i love you all! :D