Promotion Day

Just have to let go

 

“Today all of you are going to get your results,” the principal started the day on a very stress note. All the students are either happy, scared or felt nothing at all since they had already given up long time ago.

“Some will get promoted to year 2, some will repeat year 1 and some unfortunately, will be expelled”.

This year is seriously going way too fast. I can still remember clearly the events that happened during the first day of school. And now, it has already come to the promotional day.

Although you can quite guess who among your friends can get promoted and who doesn’t, you can’t be too sure. For all you know, who wants to think that they are not going to get promoted?

“On that note, have a good day and I wish all of you the best for your results. You may proceed to your classes.” The principal ended her morning speech and all of us started walking to class.

As all of you walked, it was not the usual happy, cheerful atmosphere. All your close friends were quiet. Eyes locked on the floor, walking straight to class like zombies. Fear. Yes. That’s the only thing all of you felt at that time. Not fear of getting promoted or not surprisingly. Fear of getting split. What if only one gets promoted? Or even worse. Only one that didn’t get promoted. Thoughts flew it and out of your minds.

Finally, at what takes like ages, you reach the class. Mr Jung was already seated at his table, with result slips on his hand. As you sat, you looked around. You sat in between Jiyeon and Hyemi. Junhyung and Gikwang was sitting right behind the three of you. Wait, where’s Doojoon??

You looked around, searching every corner of the classroom. He was nowhere to be found. Suddenly Mr Jung spoke and you spun your head to the front.

“Two of your classmates, Doojoon and Hyun Joong is not with us today. I should tell you that they have been… expelled.”

You heard gasps from people behind you since you were sitting in the first row. You saw from the corner of your eye that Hyemi’s head shot up from looking at the table. Jiyeon turned to you immediately. You? Your eyes went as wide as possible, mind trying to let the information sink in. You stared at the whiteboard in front of you. Expelled?? How can he be expelled? Why is he expelled?

You wanted to ask Mr Jung but then you remembered. Doojoon is a repeat student. If he did not pass this year, he can’t repeat another year. As far as you can remember, Doojoon did not really study from the start of the year. He only started studying when it was the end of the year which was obviously, too late.

Seeing the shocked faces on the students, Mr Jung started talking again.

“I hope this can be a lesson for all of you especially those who do not get promoted. I have reminded them since the start of the year that they could not afford to waste any time and play around. They didn’t listen.”

Adding on to the gloomy atmosphere, Mr Jung started calling out individual names. Hyemi’s name was called out first. She went to Mr Jung, expressionless. You knew, she had already given up. She know what’s the outcome. She came back sitting next to you. Just took a glance at her result slip and turn it around. Others couldn’t tell from her expression. You know Hyemi well. Well enough to know that she had gotten what she had expected. She didn’t get promoted. You took her results for confirmation. She didn’t stop you.

Your eyes widened a little. She was... on the fence. Neither promoted nor repeat. She has to take another exam at the start of next year and if she passed, she is able to promote. If not, she will have to repeat. It was unexpected.

“Kim Hyuna.”

You walked to Mr Jung, heart not beating that fast. You kind of half expected that you would get promoted. Of course, you can’t be too sure. You sat back at your seat and turn the paper. You did get promoted. You were glad. But your mind was still focused on your friends’ results.

One by one your friends took their results. Those who were promoted were thoughtful enough not to scream for joy. Those who didn’t, cry buckets of tears, especially those who expected to get promoted. Even they did expect, some tears would roll out. One of them is your own close friend, Jiyeon. She had told you the day before that she knows she couldn’t make it. And it happened. She didn’t. All you could do then was to a back, comforting her slowly.

Gikwang was another one of your friends that didn’t make it. He didn’t seem sad about it. Typical Gikwang. Even if he is sad about it, he will not show it.

Junhyung. Yong Junhyung. Sigh.. You’re the only one that gets promoted with me. How can I let you go in this situation? I’m only left with you next year if Hyemi too did not make it. What if you leave me and decide to be closer to other people? I know I can’t depend on only you but I’m only close to my 5 friends. And now I’m left with one. And that’s you. Tell me how I’m supposed to let you go Junhyung. How?

After a few words from Mr Jung, all of you went out. Some of them who need to repeat have to be in a lecture hall by 2pm. While waiting for the time, the 5 of you went to your usual hang out table which is in front of the lockers.

It was quiet. Not awkward but gloomy. Jiyeon crying silently. Hyemi zoning out, listening to her iPod. Gikwang talking to other friends who needed support. Junhyung was buying some drinks. You’re guessing he’s feeling awkward in that situation. You just sat opposite Jiyeon and Hyemi, staring at your fingers.

Before you know it, the bell rang. Jiyeon got up to go to the lecture hall.

“I’ll see you guys later yeah?” Jiyeon forced out a smile.

“I need to go to the principal’s office. Mr Jung said those who are like me has to meet her.” Hyemi said. You simply nodded.

As you were left alone, Junhyung came back with his bottle of coke. He sat right in front of you. He tilted his head a little. “You okay?”

You looked up and smiled. You nodded.

Out of a sudden he reached out for your hand and caressed the bracelet that he gave you. There was a slight smile forming on his lips. You just looked at his eyes that was staring at you bracelet.

“You know its amazing how we always end up being the only ones together.” Junhyung said softly.

You just sat there quietly waiting for his words.

“Hyuna… did you… erm.. see the bracelet?” Junhyung asked, looking up at you.

See the bracelet? What does that mean? Isn’t it right on my wrist?? Of course I see it!

“Erm.. yeahh..?” you answered cautiously.

He chucked a little. “Well I guess you didn’t.” he smiled.

 

Yay! i get to update another chapter! hope you enjoy it! :D COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS LOVED AND I READ EVERY ONE OF THEM ALTHOUGH I DIDNT REPLY! :DD