Seventh

Single Portrait

Angry? How could se be angry at such a handsome guy?

Selina smiled, “Truthfully I was a bit angry at first, but I forgot all about it afterward.”

“So you enjoyed your time there?” Jiro questioned with a smile that made her heart jump. “His mother is quite impulsive at times right?”

Selina laughed as she slipped her purse sling over her shoulder, “She is amusing. I think she’s easy to get along with.”

“I guess so…you know when Chun and I were teenagers she would always be at our backs,” Jiro told, “because of her we never had decent fun at parties.”

“She is Chun’s mother,” Selina pointed out. “She must have saved you from the dirty stuff too.”

“Who knows because my mom never minded,” Jiro shrugged. “Have you had time to eat yet?”

“Jiro?” Ella asked suddenly walking in.

Selina turned to see a short haired woman stand behind her. She looked like a boy but Selina found her elegant looking. The kind of firm confident woman who didn’t let anything stand in her way. Selina smiled at the lady then turned to Jiro.

“I’ll be going now. Thanks again,” Selina told and turned around hurrying out.

As she hurried down the hallway she assumed she must Jiro’s girlfriend feeling a bit disappointed as she made her way into the elevator. She sighed wishing she could have had more time with Jiro. That was the first time they’d had an actual conversation. The first time!

*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Who was that?” Ella asked. “Your girlfriend?”

Jiro smiled as he took off his glasses, “No, one of the new employees. Why are you here so late?”

He didn’t want to keep talking about Selina. He couldn’t like Selina, she was Chun’s girlfriend. It would be real trouble if they went into a love triangle again though he felt sorry Selina had to leave so soon. He hadn’t talked to any of his employees as a friend and he felt Selina would be a great person to talk to.

“Traffic,” Ella answered. “Are you about to have dinner? I’m sure you didn’t eat yet.”

“Of course. I was waiting for you,” Jiro said.

Ella however didn’t smile or didn’t feel like smiling. It felt more like a routine of the day to have dinner with Jiro.

Ella ate from her plate calmly unaware of Jiro’s eyes from across the table. Stunning beauty shone from her. Jiro had planned on asking her out again, but he had to be careful about the timing. It was just perfect now that Chun had a girlfriend. He had put his hopes into this plan for long weeks.

“Ella,” Jiro began easing his way into the process, “you know I haven’t seen a real smile plastered on your face for a while. It’d be nice to see you laugh.”

“What do you mean? I’ve been smiling,” Ella said plainly.

“You should focus on yourself more. After that…incident you’ve put everything to a stop,” Jiro told.

“Jiro,” Ella began.

Jiro quickly interrupted fearing that Ella would ignore his words, “You know your feelings. I think you should consider starting with something new.”

Ella suddenly knew where Jiro was leading her in that conversation. She set down her spoon and looked up at Jiro straight in the eye.

“You’ve tried once Jiro,” Ella reminded, “I’m sorry. I’ll still wait for Chun to turn around…I believe he just needs time…that’s all. I can’t…with you because you’re so close to him. You know this isn’t a good thing for…both of us.”

Jiro looked back at Ella feeling hurt, but tried not to let it show. Obviously Ella knew how he was feeling. She’d been thrown around between the two of them for years. Once Chun would pay attention to her then toss her to Jiro telling him to take care of her. Jiro, who would never let go of the chance, would pay utmost all of his attention to her and she’d just make her way back to Chun who’d do the same thing all over again.

“If you’re going to wait for him…I will wait for you to turn around too,” Jiro told.

“Jiro…” Ella started again.

“I know,” Jiro said stopping her again, “if it won’t work out for you and Chun then I will still be here. If things don’t ever turn out between the three of us we can remain this way. If you won’t mind waiting, I won’t.”

Ella turned away wanting to let out tears of frustration and a shout. Why couldn’t Jiro get it? She wasn’t interested and it will never work for them. She wanted to slap him to his senses. She hated it so much when it had to be this way. Why did he have to be so stubborn? Why couldn’t everything go the way she wanted?

“You’re just making this hard,” Ella pointed out.

“You’re making it hard too,” Jiro retorted.

Ella stared at him hard, “This is why I ignore you.”

“I know,” Jiro told, “but I can’t stop.”

“It’s already been five years,” Ella told, “it’s already been five years!”

Five years since they met during college. Since then their relationships, their everlasting problems began, and three years later when they were 23 did Chun break up with Ella. Yet, none of it had ended at all. They were all hooked onto one problem, one past. It felt so frustrating for Ella that she wished it’d just end…if only she could get Chun once more.

Jiro looked back at her with eyes telling her he wouldn’t back down. He knew one of them had to be hurt. This wasn’t a tug of war between him and Chun, but rather him and Ella. Since three years ago Chun hadn’t argued or tried with any effort to woo Ella back. He was just a friend who was there to be nice, kind, and caring, but everything he did made Ella’s heart melt and ache for him. It was either he gets Ella to stay with him or Ella would push him away.

“Sorry…I’m not going to stop myself,” Jiro told.

Ella felt hot angry tears rush up to her eyes. She grabbed her purse, scooted her chair back, and exited the restaurant.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina woke up in the middle of the night panting with sweat. She’d had one of those dreams again. Her mother, those men ahead of her, and she was chasing after them. The closer she got the father they were. Everything had gone in slow motion and it felt as if she wasn’t even moving at all. She hated those dreams that had haunted her since she had started living with her grandparents.

Selina turned her head as she heard her grandpa cough loudly in the room next door. The walls in the apartment were extremely thin and weak so if one made a noise the person next door would easily hear.

Turning on the light Selina made her way out of her room and stopped at her grandpa’s door. She knew he would hate the fact that she had woken up, so she quietly opened the door to sneak a peek inside the room. The lights were turned off and her grandpa was sitting at the edge of his bed with his head bent down. Those wheezing coughs must be painful for him, Selina thought achingly. Selina opened the door letting some light in the room.

“Are you ok?” Selina asked with much concern.

Her grandpa turned startled.

“What are you doing up?” he asked. “You have work tomorrow don’t you?”

Selina smiled and the lights.

“Did I wake you up?” he asked.

He was getting old. His hair was already all white and he knew he wouldn’t be able to hold on for much longer.

“No I had a bad dream,” Selina replied, “should I get you some medicine?”

“I will be fine without it,” her grandpa insisted. “Go on and get some sleep.”

Selina looked him over to make sure that he seemed alright and nodded then turned the lights off. She leaned against the door still hearing him try to quiet his coughs. He made it so hard for her to care for him that she felt helpless. Would some tears help ease the pain?