Thirthyninth

Single Portrait

***

Selina found herself standing behind Jiro nervously. What if she would get yelled at again? Selina gulped as Jiro reached back for her hand. She glanced up at his assuring smile and let him lead her into the house. Selina could smell the aroma of fresh food being set on the table by the maid. As they entered the dining room they found Jiro’s father sitting at the table with a newspaper he was reading. Selina turned to look at Jiro who nodded his head.

“Good afternoon Sir,” Selina greeted.

Jiro’s father set the newspaper down and looked at Selina. He didn’t look very surprised at all, but glanced at Jiro. Selina wasn’t able to read the expression in his eyes.

“Come sit,” he said.

Selina turned back to look at Jiro unsure. Jiro led her over to the table and they sat down. Selina grabbed her hands under the table only to find Jiro taking a hold of her hand and squeezing it. Was he nervous too?

“Dad this is Selina Ren,” Jiro introduced.

To Selina he sounded pretty confident too. Should she also try to perk up to help save Jiro’s face? His father didn’t say anything and didn’t look up at them.

“I won’t ask any personal questions since Jiro won’t allow it,” he said. “However, since you’ve worked for us before I won’t allow this relationship.”

“Dad! That’s unreasonable,” Jiro retaliated.

Selina moved her eyes from Jiro to his father.

“It’s just the truth son,” his father told, “then you two can date for another month then break up.”

“Dad!” Jiro began.

“Look here you’re not the head of the house are you? So stop screaming in my face,” Mr. Wang said.

Selina stared at Jiro’s father feeling weird about him. Was there something she was missing? His acting seemed strange to her.

“Jiro go throw this paper away for me,” his father ordered.

Jiro frowned at his dad’s request.

“When I tell you to do something do it,” his father told.

Jiro glanced at Selina then got up from his seat lazily and took the paper from his father then exited the room. Selina felt nervous being left alone with the old man.

“Jiro’s a brat sometimes so I often have to yell at him,” his father told, “I’m a mean person when it comes down to business matters. If I’ve yelled at you in the past it’s because you’ve interrupted my business meetings and I don’t like strangers in the house. If you get to know me you’ll learn that I’m a strict person, whatsoever Jiro likes you and I don’t care who he likes. You’re fine with me as long as you two don’t get married right now. Well I guess I’m done with this. Enjoy the meal then.”

Selina felt astonished as she turned to watch his father leave. Did she hear correctly? Or were her ears dead?

“Where’s my dad?” Jiro asked as he came back.

Selina blinked her eyes a few times then turned to Jiro with a smile, “I guess your father’s not those types of evil parents in dramas.”

Jiro frowned at her. After dinner they went out to watch a circus then headed back to Selina’s house where they sat lazily in her living room.

“Your dad told me you’re a spoiled brat,” Selina said. “You should be ashamed of yourself.”

“Spoiled brat?” Jiro laughed. “That old man knows talk.”

Selina smiled as she looked at Jiro.

“I’m going to be gone next week,” Jiro told. “I’ll be in Europe for a week.”

“Are you going to bring something back for me?” asked Selina.

“That’s all you care about?” Jiro said.

“What else is there to worry about?” Selina shrugged.

“Me.”

Selina laughed and turned away. When she turned back around she placed a playful kiss on Jiro’s cheek.

“I’ve already marked you as mine,” Selina said with a laugh.

Jiro laughed and bear hugged her.

Selina rushed over to the customers with their plate of food and turned around to retrieve some more plates from the old woman when her cell phone rang.

“I’ve got news,” it was Chun, “I think the spy has something on your mom.”

Selina ran all the way to a coffeehouse where Chun was waiting for her with the spy. When Selina reached the back she could feel anticipation increase within her. Her palms became sweaty as she looked down at Chun. Selina glanced over at the man’s hairy face and sat down. It was the first time Selina had met him. He wore dark clothes and a long jacket which reminded her very much of a detective.

“Hi, my name is Derek,” he said extending out his hand.

Selina turned to look at Chun unsure.

Chun turned to look at Derek, “You said you have news.”

Derek pulled back his hand, “She’s still in Taiwan. You know tracking information takes a long time and because we couldn’t find much of the tracks left behind by her this is as close as I could get during the mean time. I know you’re in a hurry to find her, but it might take some more time to find her location…that is if you’re willing to wait.”

Chun turned to look at Selina who stared at Derek. She gulped. Should she? Or should she not? What would be better? Selina had already waited 15 years…would waiting again be worth it?

“No,” Selina replied.

Her answer surprised Chun very much.

“I’ve learned that cherishing the present is more important than holding onto the past,” Selina replied. “Maybe God separated us for a reason and if we’re to meet again we’ll meet some day. What good would it do for her and for me except bring us sadness to cry with?”

“Good answer then,” Derek replied. “If that’s what you want then I’m done here.”

As Derek got up Chun watched him go then turned back to Selina who stared down at the table blankly.

“Wait for me,” Chun told as he got up from the table.

***

“Derek wait!” Chun shouted hurrying after him.

The tall man turned around to look at Chun.

“Is there something else?” asked Derek.

Chun took a second to catch his breath then said, “She’s desperate. Even if she refuses now I know she’ll want a chance to see her mother again. I’ll pay you to continue.”

“Are you sure about this?” Derek asked. “I think the young lady doesn’t want to.”

Chun turned back to look at the coffeehouse then turned back to Derek and nodded.

***

Was that what she was really going to decide on? Was she really going to stick with her decision? Selina pressed her lips together and looked up when Chun returned.

“Are you ok?” he asked.

Selina smiled then was interrupted by the ringing of her phone. When Selina fished her phone out of her bag Chun sneaked a peek to see that it was Jiro. Selina turned to look at Chun.

“Thank you,” Selina thanked and got up.

“Did I get you at the wrong time? You don’t sound good,” Jiro said through the phone.

“There was news about my mother,” Selina told.

“That’s great! Where is she?” Jiro asked excited.

“In Taiwan somewhere….” Selina paused for a long time and Jiro waited for her to go on.

“If you’re not…” Jiro began.

“I’ve decided to stop looking for her,” Selina said, “if we are fated to meet again I know I’ll see her again.”

“Ok. If that’s what you want then don’t be sat later. You can just take my mom as your mom.” Jiro said.

Selina smiled.