Eleventh

Single Portrait

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina turned around and waved to Chun down the hallway. He smiled and waved back with his sweater in his around his arm.

She unlocked the door and headed inside to find her grandpa making tea in the kitchen.

“I’m home grandpa,” Selina told hurrying over to him, “let me do it.”

Her grandpa took a seat at the table and waited for Selina to hand him his cup of tea. Selina sat down next to him with a cup herself.

“How was your day?” questioned her grandpa.

“The usual grandpa,” Selina replied.

“You should get married soon,” her grandpa told. “Is there any boy you like?”

Selina started to cough, “What?”

“I want to make sure there’s someone to take care of you after I pass on,” her grandpa told, “who’s going to take care of my dear Selina?”

Selina looked at her grandpa seriously and sadly.

“Don’t say that grandpa,” Selina told rubbing his shoulder comfortingly, “you’re going to live with me forever and ever.”

Her grandpa laughed smiling, “Then I’ll just live forever huh?”

Selina smiled and nodded. She couldn’t bear to think of the thought of living without her grandpa. Even the thought of losing her grandma hurt so much she didn’t want to lose anyone else.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat at his desk in his home staring at his cell phone for what seemed like hours. He felt bad for lying to Ella and for using Selina once more. He realized he’d been setting her up for lots of mishaps. Since she wasn’t mad at him for the first two set ups then she probably wouldn’t be mad for this third one he hoped. Taking a breath of air for courage he grabbed his phone and called Chun.

“Hey what’s up?” Chun answered.

Jiro was silent for a moment wondering if he’d done the wrong thing.

“Umm…” Jiro droned on. “Do you have anything planned this weekend?”

“No, why you want to go drinking again?” Chun joked.

Jiro laughed, “No. Do you want to go back to that cottage this weekend?”

“That trashy clean place?” Chun joked again.

“Yea…” Jiro replied.

“Are you planning something again?” Chun suspected.

“No. I just wanted to go have some fun…but if it’s alright Ella’s coming along and I’m going to invite Selina,” Jiro told straight out so that he wouldn’t have to keep making up lies for later.

Chun didn’t reply for a few seconds.

“Why?” he asked.

“I figure we should introduce Ella and Selina to each other. Besides shouldn’t Ella get to know your girlfriend?” Jiro questioned.

He could sense Chun’s tension.

“What’s the point?” Chun questioned. “Ella’s not ready.”

“We don’t have to put it that way. We can say Selina is just a friend,” Jiro told.

“I don’t want to lie to her,” Chun told.

“Just go please,” Jiro begged not wanting to go on with his excuses.

Chun was dead silent and Jiro knew Chun was against Ella and Selina meeting. For a minute Jiro thought Chun would reject.

“Fine, but if anything happens you’re responsible for it,” Chun told.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina sat at her desk totally absorbed into her papers. She was typing up a report for the manager when she was interrupted by that tapping on her shoulder.

Selina trudged slowly down the hallway. She didn’t want to see Jiro at the moment, but she also didn’t want to disobey her boss’ orders. Selina stopped and paused for a long time standing in front of the door. What did he want to say? Hopefully he wouldn’t speak anything concerning about yesterday. Selina bit her lip and knocked on the door.

“Come in,” Jiro’s voice said.

Selina hesitated before opening the door. Jiro was his usual sitting behind the desk with papers in front of him and a pen in his hand. She couldn’t hold her eyes on him for long and quickly looked away. Selina left the door slightly open behind her.

“Chun and I are going out to a cottage this weekend,” Jiro told, “Ella will be there as well. You’re invited to go along.”

Selina couldn’t bring herself to say anything. She felt weird standing in front of him.

“We can give you a ride there and back,” Jiro offered. “Do you want to go?”

“How long?” Selina asked.

“Just one day,” Jiro told.

Selina thought back to her grandpa. Would he be ok?

“I guess so,” Selina replied.

“Alright. It’s all set,” Jiro said without a smile. “We’ll pick you up and head there. Is that ok?”

Selina nodded without talking.

“Then if this is all I’ll be going back,” Selina said and quickly turned around almost heading out.

“Wait Selina,” Jiro said getting up from his chair and walking over to her, but being careful about their distance from each other.

Jiro stuck his hands in his pocket also feeling nervous. Selina stared at the ground and turned around slightly.

“About…about what happened yesterday,” Jiro began.

Selina quickly averted her eyes.

“I’m sorry…I don’t…I don’t know why that happened,” Jiro told.

“We’ll pretend nothing happened,” Selina told and quickly walked out.

Without noticing she half ran down the hallway and stopped around the corner. Catching her breath she could feel her heart beat faster and faster.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Ella tossed her cell phone from hand to hand as she sat at the table in the meeting room. She was the first one there as always. Jiro had a girlfriend and he was trying to patch her and Chun back up. Why did it feel unusual and uncomfortable in a way? Was it because Jiro’s girlfriend would also be there? Or was the thought that she might actually get back with Chun too overwhelming?

The door opened and another manager from another district walked in.

“You’re here already. Early as usual,” he said.

Ella got up and offered them seats. It would be half an hour before the whole room would be full and the meeting would be started.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Chun stared out of the window in his office with his cheek leaning against his fist. Maybe Jiro’s lame words were getting to him. He happened to be thinking about Selina more often the past few days. He even felt glad when he had run into her yesterday, but her scared face alarmed him. If he did like her he would have to make sure to warn Jiro not to get too close to her. He didn’t want to have to go through another Ella incident. What bothered him was that he had already found time and strength to move on ahead while Ella was still hanging onto the past. Would she be hurt to see Selina this weekend? He hoped not, but as Jiro had suggested he could introduce them as friends.

“Chun? What are doing?” his mother asked setting some thick envelopes on his desk.

“Oh mom,” Chun said turning around.

“Don’t tell me I surprised you,” his mother said.

Chun laughed, “Well you did a teeny bit.”

“A teeny bit,” his mother repeated teasing him. “Alright whatever. Complete these before going home.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Friday night after work Selina had rushed to the store to buy some food for her grandpa. Some food that would be easy to make because her grandpa wasn’t capable of doing much anymore she didn’t want to have him cook for himself. After paying for the food she made sure everything in the house was stocked up. Even though she would be gone for just one day she felt more than worried about her grandpa. He was sick and his coughs weren’t going away and he especially refused to go to the clinic for a checkup. When she had stashed everything away Selina prepared a good dinner and helped her grandpa to the table.

He seemed weak and more sick than usual. Still he didn’t let any of it show.

“I’ll help you get some rice,” Selina offered as she took his plate and put a few scoops of rice onto it. “Do you want some chicken and the fried vegetables?”

“Sure,” her grandpa said.

Selina put a little bit of everything onto his plate and put it front of him.

“Selina I’ve left some money for you in the bank. Your grandmother and I couldn’t save much, but we saved them for you.” Her grandpa said and held back a cough.

“Do you need your medicine grandpa?” Selina asked.

Her grandpa shook his head as he pressed his hand against his chest.

“I’ll be ok. It’s just getting cold that’s all,” her grandpa told.

Selina knew he was lying.

“When I’m not here use that money for emergencies,” her grandpa told, “don’t be conservative all the time.”

“Grandpa…” Selina started.

Her grandpa shook his head gesturing that he didn’t want to talk anymore. Selina couldn’t do anything, but just continue eating.

Selina woke up early the next morning feeling a bit worried sick. She opened the door to her grandpa’s room to find that he was tucked under his blanket warmly. Closing the door Selina grabbed her purse and headed downstairs where Chun’s car was waiting for her.

“Where’s Jiro?” Selina asked as she got into the car.

“He said he’d meet us there so he went first,” Chun replied. “How’s your grandpa?”

“He’s still sleeping,” Selina replied.

They were silent the rest of the way there talking a little here and then.